As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Much obliged, plut!

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    A friend shared his dhal recipe with me and it made for a great Sunday evening dinner:

W1koGqb.jpg?1

xet8c.gif

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Simple "oh hey this is in my fridge" meal today.

...aaaaaand now I have a blistering burn on the top of my foot because hey, kids, careful when you're barefoot and tossin' dat sauce.

Ow.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Barefoot and in the kitchen, huh?

Wearing nothing but an apron, so at least the important stuff was protected.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    :winky:

But seriously be careful of burns, folks

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    tynic wrote: »
    (secretly I just wanted the leftover pork for putting in hot and sour udon).

Update:
    xyzenzym7t1l.jpg

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @tynic do you make your own hot & sour broth? if so, what/how do you do so? I'd like to try and make some for the hubby as it's his fave soup

edited January 2016
    well ... I tend to just use "whatever is in the kitchen that seems like it has the right flavours". But there's usually rice wine vinegar (black if possible), dark and light soy sauce, some beef or chicken stock, pepper, a bunch of chili oil (because I like things that are spicy), plus garlic and whatever else is to hand.

edit 2: this recipe seems right
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/01/hot-and-sour-soup-food-lab-recipe.html

though the egg is a new one to me?

However. This particular version above is actually almost completely improvised and substituted - eg, it's missing stock, because I have none. It does have tamarind concentrate, light soy, dark soy, dash of hoi sin, an anchovy + the aftermath of frying a rasher of bacon (to replace the missing stock), lemongrass and garlic. Oh, and chili oil and a dried birds-eye chili.
    It actually turned out really well, and doesn't taste too far off the proper version. I don't know if you'd want to follow my path if you're going for something authentic, though (even minus the bacon).

edit: the more authentic broth is super easy to make if you have proper homemade stock around. If you're doing it restaurant-style you might want to clarify it to near consommé level, but I've always done this as a home-y dish and not bothered with that kind of labour.

tynic on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I just had some of these for lunch, got a box at Costco for 10 bucks:

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=54822D3D-FFA7-FD75-444E-B917172BB960

These are really good and I don't mean good for a healthy noodle. I mean these are legit tasty.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    On the subject of alternate noodles, a friend of mine just got a spiralizer and is loving zucchini noodles (zoodles?). So much so that I kinda want to get a spiralizer and try, but I've got so many accessories in the kitchen as is

(it may be helpful though, as @Wyborn can't have gluten noodles, though that still leaves us with rice and buckwheat noodles)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yo we goan try those at least once

Lookit all that fiber and protein, mmhmm

What'd you have 'em with, Cabezone?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    On the subject of alternate noodles, a friend of mine just got a spiralizer and is loving zucchini noodles (zoodles?). So much so that I kinda want to get a spiralizer and try, but I've got so many accessories in the kitchen as is

(it may be helpful though, as @Wyborn can't have gluten noodles, though that still leaves us with rice and buckwheat noodles)

If you're worried about space, get the small handheld one. I have one and it works just fine, although I imagine a bit slower than the crank one. But unless you're doing dozens of vegetables in it, it's not a huge time sink. I, personally, use mine more than I thought I would. Bonus, it tucks in a drawer really easily.
    Side note and really nothing to do with anything: I really dislike the word zoodles for zucchini noodles.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
    I just use a vegetable peeler to make zucchini noodles.

Switch up the angles while you're peeling and you can get different sizes. or just make them all flat and use a knife and you've got fettucini style.

Don't have to buy another thing for the kitchen if I can swing it with what I've already got.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

You can get a potato speed peeler that on one end just works like a regular peeler, but on the other wise has V notches to cut strips.

Some how I was given two of these for christmas. I was sceptical at first (since it also has a ginger peeler in there also) but it works pretty well.

I just tossed them in some olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper. I have not had a lot of wheat alternative pasta but this easily the best I've had. I got them on a whim after seeing the ingredients were just soybeans and water.

I've done the zuchinni noodle thing but for cold salad only.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I'm trying to eat better, in a budget.

Less processed stuff, more veggies, etc

Any tips?

DouglasDanger on
    edited February 2016
    Well for budget, you're going to use things like oats, brown rice, lentils, potatoes, yams, as the base of a lot of dishes. Avoid version of those foods that strip out the fiber; white rice, pasta, white bread ect. If you're not used to eating those things you'll just have to experiment with them to see what you like.

Red meat is generally out as it's not very good for you and really expensive. Fish is the best but expensive. Chicken and eggs are generally cheap.

Learning to use things like onions, garlic, celery, carrots to start dishes and add a lot of flavor is very helpful.

Here's an example of something I'll cook on a Sunday to be my lunches for a week. It's an easy one pot dish:

1 container (26 cups ea.), Raw Spinach
    4 tbsp, Olive Oil
    1.25 lb(s), Ground Turkey, 93/7
    2 each (150 g), Yellow Onion - Large
    1 tsp, Coarse Kosher Salt
    2 cup dry, Brown Rice - Uncooked
    1 tbsp curry seasoning(the seasoning for this dish could be a lot of different things)

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 500
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 17 g 27 %
    Saturated Fat 3 g 17 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 7 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 67 mg 22 %
    Sodium 530 mg 22 %
    Potassium 206 mg 6 %
    Total Carbohydrate 57 g 19 %
    Dietary Fiber 8 g 31 %
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 27 g 53 %
    Vitamin A 208 %
    Vitamin C 55 %
    Calcium 15 %
    Iron 27 %

Cabezone on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Vegetables are generally affordable and delicious! If you see something you haven't cooked with before I bet lots of us could offer you recommendations.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I buy veggies, mostly for salads, but lots of them get gross before we can eat them. It's just me and my wife.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'd recommend two things then

One: buy fewer veggies at a time, and

Two: focus less on salads than on cooking vegetables, as they last longer that way

What sort of veggies do you like?

Also consider buying bulk for all of your dried goods. That's a huge cost saver.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I recommend frozen veg like broccoli and spinach. That keeps for ages.

Also root vegetables last a good while too.

edited February 2016
    This is a leafy vegetable pro tip: as soon as you get back from the store put a paper towel or two in with them. The towels will absorb excess moisture and keep the vegetables from going bad.

Now the quality of the greens will go down due to moisture loss but that's a lot better than spoiling. You'll want to transition from eating raw to cooking them if you go long periods between grocery trips.

Cabezone on
    Thanks for the advice
    Im not sure what veggies I'll buy
    I like almost all food
    I have a hard time finding veggies my wife likes

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    How do you tend to cook your veggies? You can do a huge variety of things to make them taste different or have different textures that your wife might find more pleasing.

edited February 2016
    Oven roasted vegetables tend to have a very high chance of being liked in my experience. One reason a lot of people get turned off vegetables early is parents who way overcook them. For me, when growing up, vegetables meant cooked to mush. Most of my friend growing up had parents prepare them equally overcooked.

Except for a buddy who's family was vegetarian, unsurprisingly they knew how to cook vegetables.

Cabezone on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    A lot of them are excellent simply pan-fried by themselves with some olive oil and salt, especially those that don't need to be fully cooked through. Bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, kale, asparagus (not that cheap, unfortunately), broad beans, and so on.

Just chop them into mouth-sized pieces, fry them up on medium high until they're beautifully browned and then stick them in your mouth!

Vic on
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You want good filling meals that are cheap then one of the best bases you can use are beans. Kidney beans are a favorite of mine, but black beans go well in all kinds of things.

dN0T6ur.png
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What's a good recipe app

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    I have not tried very many, but I do have Food Planner and have been pretty happy with it. It has a relatively clean interface and while I only use the recipe portion of the app, I find that it meets my needs.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Hey, so plums are super in season, and super cheap right now. What are some good recipes that involve plums, savoury or otherwise? I'd kinda be interested in savoury ones.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I would like to learn to love sweet potatoes (I've always found it more difficult to accept sweet tasting things)

Can everyone please throw their favourite sweet potato recipes/preparation methods at me

Ideally as an entree or strong side dish, and not too unhealthy

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    seafood alfredo lasagne in the oven at the moment.

smells so good.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Hey, so plums are super in season, and super cheap right now. What are some good recipes that involve plums, savoury or otherwise? I'd kinda be interested in savoury ones.

Plum chutney is a good way to put a plum glut to use.

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I would like to learn to love sweet potatoes (I've always found it more difficult to accept sweet tasting things)

Can everyone please throw their favourite sweet potato recipes/preparation methods at me

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Peel, cut into chunks, toss with olive oil, salt, black pepper, ground allspice, ground sage, smoked paprika (I never wrote down how much I use, I just eyeball it until they're spiced and lubricated and look good to me) Spread out on a baking sheet, roast 15 minutes, flip with a spatula, 15 minutes more and check for doneness.

brDe918.jpg
    so

seafood alfredo lasagna was a big hit last night

2-3 good size white fish fillets, I used snapper
    250g-ish frozen prawn meat, thawed
    300g-ish surimi (or I guess real crab meat if you can get it)
    4 small carrots, grated
    2 medium zucchini, grated
    500g white mushrooms, sliced
    large container Ricotta
    1 egg
    1.5-2 jars alfredo sauce
    shredded mozzarella cheese
    shredded parmesan cheese
    8-10 sundried tomatoes, sliced up
    8-10 marinated artichoke hearts, sliced up
    1 tbsp-ish capers
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    salt
    pepper
    italian seasoning
    Lasagna sheets

1. sautee your mushrooms in a small pan with oil and butter to get the most of the moisture from them, leave aside
    2. grease a large casserole or lasagna pan with oil spray
    3. in a separate bowl combine the ricotta, egg, handfuls of shredded cheeses, seasonings, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and capers until well combined, set aside
    4. line the bottom of casserole dish with alfredo sauce, top with handfuls of the shredded carrot & zucchini
    5. layer on lasagna sheets (we used fresh pasta sheets, but any lasagna noodles should work)
    6. spoon on 1/3 of the ricotta mixture and smooth out
    7. layer on all of your prawn/shrimp meat
    8. spoon on a layer of alfredo sauce and then more carrots & zucchini, layer on 1/3 of the mushrooms
    9. continue layering with lasagna sheets, ricotta, fish fillets, alfredo, carrots & zucchini, mushrooms
    10. continue layering with lasagna sheets, ricotta, crab meat, alfredo, carrtos & zucchini, mushrooms
    11. Top with final lasagna sheets, remaining alfredo sauce, any leftover veggies, more mozzarella & parm cheese
    12. Bake in a preheated 180*C (350*F) oven for approximately 20-30 minutes so that fish cooks through, lasagna is heated all the way through, and cheese is yummy bubbly brown and gooey on top
    13. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving, to allow the layers to congeal a bit and this to not be molten lava when you try to eat it

Enjoy!

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I just had some of these for lunch, got a box at Costco for 10 bucks:

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=54822D3D-FFA7-FD75-444E-B917172BB960

These are really good and I don't mean good for a healthy noodle. I mean these are legit tasty.

We've been thinking of grabbing those sometime but have been leery. Glad to hear you liked them.

steam_sig.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Nat made chicken pot pies tonight.

sljkdf8sr53r.jpg

They were amazing.

I ate three.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

my favorite way is simply baked like a baked potato.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Nat made chicken pot pies tonight.

sljkdf8sr53r.jpg

They were amazing.

I ate three.

That all looks good, but gatdang does that pie crust look phenomenal.