As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

1858687888991»

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    We made paella this week for the first time. It was great! My wife got me a Williams Sonoma "Chicken Night" cookbook recently, and all four of the recipes we've done have been fantastic. It does a good job of distilling fancier sounding food into simpler recipes.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm relatively low-grade so cross-contamination is not Instant Doom Town but I have to behave more or less as if I have full-blown Celiac's most of the time. I eat something made with The Bad Stuff and it is a bad time for a bunch of reasons and then I'm really cranky for like three days? I didn't know that was a thing but here we are

Still

Me and SilverWind ate at Adamson's Barbecue today (bread on the side so she could make a sandwich; if anything was off I'll find out in a few hours but I don't think so) after reading about it on BlogTO. It's been open for about a month and is some really nice Texas-style barbecue

Ended up getting a half pound of brisket, half pound of short ribs, quarter pound of turkey breast, quarter pound of pulled pork, one sliced sausage link, and a pint of pinto beans. This ended up being exactly the right amount of food

Lord alive it was so good. The turkey was some really good stuff, not dry at all and crusted with good spices, the pulled pork was good and flavorful, the sausage was great, the short ribs were divine, and that brisket. Man that brisket, God alive, if any of you other Torontonians end up going to this place make sure you get some of the brisket from a fatty cut (they will ask you if you want fatty or lean, get fatty) because that is the best I have had. It was so tender we were cutting it with plastic forks, and unlike every other restaurant I've tried it was not at all dry in any part

That brisket alone was worth the drive. I bought an extra pound of it to take home and it's sitting in the kitchen right now, wrapped in butcher paper that is soaked through with drippings

A+ will be adding it to our regular rotation. Gonna take my brother there next time he visits.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I've been hankering to make ful medammes for ages now, would a slow cooker work well for that?

Edit: I've decided that I can't see why it wouldn't, so I'm omw home with a bag of fava beans and some tahini. Further bulletins as events warrant!

Ful update: I seriously underestimated the amount of liquid that would be needed to leave the beans swimming in the delicious broth that is the whole point of this dish IMO. So the output was basically stodge. Delicious stodge, mark you - the flavours were spot on, so I do not count the experiment as a failure, merely a data point.

After a little thought, I have repurposed the output, added a bunch of chopped coriander and parsley, and now ful-flavoured falafels are cooking as I type this.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My chefs knife is dull now. It can't even manage sweet potatoes.

I should buy a better one soon.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Or buy a sharpener!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I was going to do that in the meantime. Sharpeners are cheap. A nicer knife not so much. This one was only 8 bucks though

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Gotcha

I have a set of wustoff knives

They finally lost their edge after about 10 years and now I need to sharpen them every couple months

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hmm. It sounds like they could do with a professional re-profiling. You might be putting too fine an angle on the edge.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What is the minimum cheapness of a knife that won't make a professional sharpener laugh at me when they open the box

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Cabezone on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah!

I prepared some food (a big pork loin) with a smoker for my first time ever, today. And it worked! I was so worried something was gonna go horribly wrong, but it came out just like I wanted it to!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    last night we had friends over to help us rearrange our furniture so that we could get the baby's crib into her room.

As a thank you, I made dinner.

Roast chicken
    Roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussels spouts)
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potato pie

I followed a basic recipe for the sweet potato pie and oh my god. I have forgotten how sweet some American desserts can be.

The recipe called for 1lb sweet potatoes, I had about 1.5lbs. The recipe asked for 1 cup white sugar. I put in 3/4cup whit sugar and 1/4 light brown sugar.

and holy god it was sweet. I probably could have gotten away with only using 1/2cup sugar in total.

so now I'm left wondering if the sweet potatoes down here are just that much sweeter than in the states. cause the difference was marked.

But everybody loved the pie. I think next time I'm going to try and make it with some purple kumara instead of the standard orange.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brown sugar always tastes WAY sweeter to me than white sugar.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Sweet potatoes are really sweet up here in Canada too. I can't imagine adding more sugar to them... though I guess I've never had them in the form of a pie. (I always aim to make them more savoury when I bake them...)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    last night we had friends over to help us rearrange our furniture so that we could get the baby's crib into her room.

As a thank you, I made dinner.

Roast chicken
    Roasted veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, brussels spouts)
    mashed potatoes
    sweet potato pie

I followed a basic recipe for the sweet potato pie and oh my god. I have forgotten how sweet some American desserts can be.

The recipe called for 1lb sweet potatoes, I had about 1.5lbs. The recipe asked for 1 cup white sugar. I put in 3/4cup whit sugar and 1/4 light brown sugar.

and holy god it was sweet. I probably could have gotten away with only using 1/2cup sugar in total.

so now I'm left wondering if the sweet potatoes down here are just that much sweeter than in the states. cause the difference was marked.

But everybody loved the pie. I think next time I'm going to try and make it with some purple kumara instead of the standard orange.

I looked it up in my Joy of Cooking book, and their recipe uses a bit less than half the sugar of that one - 2 pounds of sweet potatoes and only 1/2 cup of sugar.
    edit: reading it more closely it says to use 1 and 1/3 cups of the potato puree.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah there was like almost five cups of potato. Which turned out OK because my pie dish is deep dish.

Pie tasted just fine this evening. Still really sweet but not repulsive sweet.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm often taken aback by the amount of sugar called for in american recipes, even the "savoury" ones. I generally reduce it by 50-100%.

Limey-Tip™: Apple Sauce doesn't need any sugar in. Just a pinch of salt and a few cloves.

V1m on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2016
    I made a mango-pork curry with seasonal greens last night. It was a 'wing it with what's in the cupboard' recipe, and it was frigging excellent, so go me.

[edit: fuck, phone posting. Hang on

double edit: ok two stupid things. Why doesn't my phone come with a native in-app resizer (I have a third-party resizing app but come on this is a no-brainer)
    secondly my work computer is unbelievably slow and needs a rebuild from the ground up and jesus christ i'm so sick of hardware limitations being the major impediment to my workflow. WORK INSTANTLY YOU FUCK

z7jb7y16vsrl.jpeg

tynic on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Did somebody say "sweet potato pie"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Did somebody say "sweet potato pie"

yes. it was me. and i sound like friggin' Paula Deen every time I say it too.

• Options
    Dinner tonight

leftover winter vegetable cheddar soup.

1 head broccoli
    1 head cauliflower
    1 carrot
    2 ribs celery
    5ish small potatoes
    minced garlic
    Vegetable or chicken stock (bouillon or regular)
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 cup dairy liquid (milk or cream)
    pick your seasoning (I used roasted vegetable seasoning)
    shredded cheddar cheese

cut up veggies roughly same size
    put in pot
    cover with stock/broth/water & bouillon whatever you're using
    add in large spoonful o minced garlic
    bring to boil and then simmer until veggies are squishable
    Use either blender/stick blender to make smooth
    Mix flour and dairy liquid together
    pour into soup
    bring back to boil/fast simmer
    add in cheddar cheese

serve with more cheese on top and sprinkle of paprika

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Horrary we have a camping trip planned for the weekend of the 10th! Now I get to be an adult camping!

Sadly due to a pipe bursting in our apartment last year I lost all my cast iron :( I guess I just need to buy a new dutch oven! Gonna make some cobbler! Super pumped

• Options
    palashp7palashp7 Registered User new member
    I have made Homemade chocolate gravy with biscuits. Believe me it is so delicious and easy to make.

• Options
    palashp7palashp7 Registered User new member
    I like to made chocolate gravy with biscuits . It is not only a dessert but a quick breakfast alsoxr6pypx5erqe.jpg