Options

[Path of Exile] Cats on Damage Taken

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Anything chaos based with occultist so you can get wicked ward/vile bastion AND run dual ensemble with blasphemy and still have discipline. Essence drain should be very good.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Started mapping with warchief totems, man this build is tanky as hell. 5200 hp and I'm still not done getting all of my life nodes, and my gear is crap.

Loving the atlas though, this system is fun

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Anything chaos based with occultist so you can get wicked ward/vile bastion AND run dual ensemble with blasphemy and still have discipline. Essence drain should be very good.

Could you point me in the direction of a guide? What is dual ensemble?

I found this guide on the poe forums: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1725492/page/1
    Does this seem like a reasonable build?

Aktn Bstrd on
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Started mapping with warchief totems, man this build is tanky as hell. 5200 hp and I'm still not done getting all of my life nodes, and my gear is crap.

Loving the atlas though, this system is fun

Warchief Totems seems pretty opieOP in 2.4.0.

Got my Juggernaut Cycloner to level 70, through Cruel lab, maxed chaos resist, grabbed an Atziri's Promise, and I'm up to 4k life. I want to get my elemental resists overcapped before mapping (should be manageable with belt and glove upgrades) because I had a bit of a scare with a lightning caster Warband, and then I'm ready to roll. Damage feels good with Atziri's Promise and there's plenty more to pick up on the tree over the next 15 levels.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/snowcrash7/characters

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I tried doing a Cyclone build, although I went through Act III with dual strike/melee splash, but when I tried swapping to cyclone I got munched on the first boss inside the beast. I'm just not sure where the damage is supposed to come from with Cyclone.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    I tried doing a Cyclone build, although I went through Act III with dual strike/melee splash, but when I tried swapping to cyclone I got munched on the first boss inside the beast. I'm just not sure where the damage is supposed to come from with Cyclone.

There are some good guides on the forums. There are a ton of good 2 handed damage nodes in the bottom of the tree and between Marauder and Duelist. The damage comes from grabbing those nodes and using a good 2 handed weapon, then late game (level 70+) specializing in a single type of 2 handed weapon like axes.

Honestly, the tree for a cyclone build would probably look very similar to the tree for a warchief totem build just without all of the totem nodes.

• Options
    Yeah, this https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1693015 was the build I was working from, which was doing DW. Maybe thats why it was super low on damage?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular

There are some good guides on the forums. There are a ton of good 2 handed damage nodes in the bottom of the tree and between Marauder and Duelist. The damage comes from grabbing those nodes and using a good 2 handed weapon, then late game (level 70+) specializing in a single type of 2 handed weapon like axes.

Honestly, the tree for a cyclone build would probably look very similar to the tree for a warchief totem build just without all of the totem nodes.

I imagine playing Cyclone self-found is difficult, because as you said, its damage can be lacking without a strong weapon. There are very good/cheap unique two-handed axe options available starting at level 33 and continuing all the way through endgame: Reaper's Pursuit, The Blood Reaper, Kaom's Primacy, and Hezmana's Bloodlust.

The four keys to making Cyclone not feel like shit: physical damage, attack speed, movement speed, and (most importantly until you hit a certain threshold) area of effect. You can pick up some AoE nodes on the left side of the tree (or play Slayer, which gets a bunch from its ascendancy, and is probably the most viable option for self-found) and then there is the "Master of the Arena" notable that grants +2 to weapon range. These area increases improve your coverage and clearspeed exponentially.

My 4L setup with Cyclone was Cyclone-Melee Physical-Fortify-Blood Magic. After getting Hezmana's, Blood Magic was replaced with Faster Attacks, and after getting a 5L I added Increased Area of Effect (with Concentrated Effect for bosses).

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    I just always seem to run into trouble trying to budget HC builds. I could try doing SC I guess, but I've just gotten used to the extra edge that playing HC adds.

• Options
    Yeah, this https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1693015 was the build I was working from, which was doing DW. Maybe thats why it was super low on damage?

The most likely thing is that your weapons were crap. Physical attack skills rely on the weapon to deal a lot of damage, whereas spells the damage comes from the level of the skill gem. I can't really know for sure, but I can say I've never had a huge issue with the damage on cyclone on previous characters.

• Options
    I just always seem to run into trouble trying to budget HC builds. I could try doing SC I guess, but I've just gotten used to the extra edge that playing HC adds.

I feel no shame in copying builds from the forums. I have limited playtime and I enjoy playing hardcore. I don't want to get into merciless and find out that my build won't work or find out the skill got changed since last time I played.

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    I wasted about 70 jewelers on a sword before realizing it had no quality....

...wtb jewellers hce.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I've still been playing that Templar build that I asked for advice on. Just got to cruel. He is the first toon I've made that could just face tank every boss that I have come to so far. I'm still using a Tabula Rasa and have like 7 armor, but I'm an absolute wrecking ball.

Also, he found a Tabula Rasa from the act 2 boss so woot!

Aktn Bstrd on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Guardian is almost ready to start partying. I need to pick up a couple of Vaal Discs, roll some flasks, and get an Energy From Within. I'll have to pick up another 2k or so more health before I head into real maps though. Getting my Discipline above level 12 will help a lot but I need better helm/boots/gloves/belt in general. The best upgrade would obviously be Lorica to Shav's but they're around 750 Chaos atm and I'm only pulling 400 or so.
    FWGHbup.jpg

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    @Aktn Bstrd That essence drain build you linked looks pretty good to me, keep in mind deafening essences of woe are somewhat expensive. I'd make sure you check out some gameplay of essence drain before you make one though since you generally don't use it to level (though you could, but it's very slow!) and I've heard some people say they find the playstyle boring or just don't like it.

I like it a fair bit, and have made two ED characters so far. I've made one this league, but it is a hybrid ES/life character so that I can use cospri's will.

• Options
    So, I guess, can someone suggest a solid budget build for HC? I'm not super picky on style, but I'd prefer something fairly safe.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited September 2016
    Raging Spirit Summoner and Ancestral Warchief are both good safe builds that are (or can be) dirt cheap, and can do maps. Probably stay away from CI versions until you have some currency saved up.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    mccart wrote: »
    @Aktn Bstrd That essence drain build you linked looks pretty good to me, keep in mind deafening essences of woe are somewhat expensive. I'd make sure you check out some gameplay of essence drain before you make one though since you generally don't use it to level (though you could, but it's very slow!) and I've heard some people say they find the playstyle boring or just don't like it.

I like it a fair bit, and have made two ED characters so far. I've made one this league, but it is a hybrid ES/life character so that I can use cospri's will.

I started a witch and only played her for like an hour. I am going to keep that one for when i get bored of my templar. I know I won't ever reach end game because I'm just too busy so I switch around a lot between characters.

Cospri's Will seems like an awesome chest.

I have a question about my templar. I am still using Static Strike. If I link phys to lightning and do 100% lightning dmg, can I still use the supports that add a % to physical dmg to pump up my lightning dmg? The tooltip says yes... tooltips are not always correct.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Yes. Converted damage benefits fully from everything that modifies both the damage type that it was, and the type that it is now.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    yeah the conversion happens after all the melee and/or physical bonuses are applied, so in this case the tooltip is probably correct

• Options
    Good starter builds for hardcore include Essence Drain, Ancestral Warchief, and energy shield based Blade Vortex, which is flavor of the month right now. Don't let that stop you, the reason it's FOTM is because it's dirt cheap to get into mid tier maps with and only becomes expensive when you want to faceroll the hardest content in the game. Until then, you'll be facerolling mid tier maps.

• Options
    Can someone link a decent blade vortex build? I am curious about them, but I don't know anything about it. I haven't used the spell once.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Here is LiftingNerdBro's guide for it: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1739089

He also has a youtube video that goes over the basics. Blade vortex summons rotating blades that spin around you. When a blade hits an enemy, it does damage. This build uses Chaos Innoculation + an absurdly high energy shield pool to get up to 15K or so energy shield, so they can tank the biggest hits in the game. If you grab Ghost Reaver, then your life leech will leech energy shield for you. If you have Vaal Pact, then your leech is instant. Since the DPS is so high on blade vortex and the blades hit so quickly, if something doesn't one shot you, it won't kill you as long as you're hitting an enemy.

Spawnbroker on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    So I'm really bad at this game and I decided to make a summoner scion in hardcore. This is a terrible idea right? I can't find any up to date builds featuring this skillset. I have a little cache of chaos orbs now to buy some gear now that prices are stabilizing in hc, but god knows what I should get/build for in the passive tree. Right now I'm just grabbing the huge minion node right next to the starting area

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Here is LiftingNerdBro's guide for it: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1739089

He also has a youtube video that goes over the basics. Blade vortex summons rotating blades that spin around you. When a blade hits an enemy, it does damage. This build uses Chaos Innoculation + an absurdly high energy shield pool to get up to 15K or so energy shield, so they can tank the biggest hits in the game. If you grab Ghost Reaver, then your life leech will leech energy shield for you. If you have Vaal Pact, then your leech is instant. Since the DPS is so high on blade vortex and the blades hit so quickly, if something doesn't one shot you, it won't kill you as long as you're hitting an enemy.

Great thanks, his guides are awesome! I will check it out. I am really liking my templar at the moment, so I don't know when I will be able to give it a shot.

• Options
    Can I just say, screw the bottom right side of the atlas? A single tier 1 map, single tier 2 map, single tier 3, into a single tier 4.. GRRRR!

I still haven't escaped that bottom right corner and I'm starting to get into tier 5, 6, and 7 in other places on the map. I'm considering just buying the map off poe.trade

• Options
    I had to buy some of the 5's,6's and 7's to fill holes down there, I'm considering buying the 11's that I can't seem to get courtyard or arsenal to drop.

I've had a few long stints of all red maps but then my luck runs out and I have to do some 10s for a while. My EQ slayer is way stronger than my ED guy, so I might just shelve the ED character and save up to buy a six-link disfavour. There was a guy that posted a deathless shaper video using an EQ slayer so I might keep trucking along and see if I can get there. I still haven't killed any of the guardians though so it might take a while.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    100% buy maps if you don't get em as drops, at least all below tier 8-9. You get a huge boost out of the bonus thing off the Atlas.

If anyone has time to look at my skill tree, I got a few questions on Tornado shot Deadeye.
    http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAUhBQU1DQWdBQWR3QmVCUzBGdFFndUNJa0ttdzJORVM4UmdSYV9HWTRhalNGMkk5TWo5aVQ5SnBVdVV6QnhNSHd4LWpZOU45UTUxRHBDUHM5RE1VZC1TbjFMZUV6X1RaSk9LbEZIVlV0VmhWYjZXaHBiSmx1dlhXaGg0bUtzWTZkbFRXZWdiQWhzakc4bmNGSjA3WFhMZGYxMjkzanJldTk5ZFg4cmZfdUViNFRaaHM2SGRvblRqRGFOZlkxLWpiLVBZSlVGbW1xYThadU5uYXFnbjZYTHA5UzB4YlZJdS1POU5yM212cWZCTThMc3d6UEVvc3FwelpqVGI5Ti0xQ1BVUXRyQjItZmRSdDJvNDVfbkN1ZFU2bUxyWS0wXzdZUHVEdTk2OFlyOHhmNjZfc2pfM2hQYUZVTmwwM0ZEc1FIUFh1bTk4THM9AAhBQUFBQVFBQQAA

My 6L is TS, GMP, P2L, WED, Faster Attacks and PPAD, using a 300 dps rare harbinger with 8.75% crit.

Is the forces of nature worth it? 6% ele pen seems a lot, considering I do barely any physical damage since Hatred/P2L/WED/a diamond ring with +10% added phys as fire damage.

When should I bother getting Vaal pact? Lab would be pretty dumb with it but I didn't plan on farming it anyway. Respeccing around 8 points I could leave out the two top right jewel sockets. Single rare mobs with ele reflect are a big source of fear for me.

Should I buy a Vessel of Vinktar or Taste of Hate first? With all my lightning damage, would the 10% penetration one be as ok as the 20% of phys gained as lightning?

Is there a different way to do tornado shot? I saw something about poison but only with the reach of the council.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    I started a BV Pathfinder and after about five levels of using BV (grabbed the aoe nodes at witch and use an Inc AoE support) I fucking hate it

it's the worst playstyle. click a few times move through mobs and wait. click a few times move into mobs and wait. click a bunch of times and run around the boss and wait.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy playing it

the damage is good with practically no investment. it's still just good with a decent focus on gear.

it's the least interesting build I've ever played and I think I'm going to respec the Pathfinder into a fireball Dying Sun build after I've spent the next month and a half playing builds that are actually fun.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    I started a BV Pathfinder and after about five levels of using BV (grabbed the aoe nodes at witch and use an Inc AoE support) I fucking hate it

it's the worst playstyle. click a few times move through mobs and wait. click a few times move into mobs and wait. click a bunch of times and run around the boss and wait.

the damage is good with practically no investment. it's still just good with a decent focus on gear.

it's the least interesting build I've ever played and I think I'm going to respec the Pathfinder into a fireball Dying Sun build after I've spent the next month and a half playing builds that are actually fun.

Kinda sounds like how righteous fire was. Step 1 - Turn on Righteous Fire, Step 2 - Stand near enemies, Step 4 - Profit

• Options
    The first weekend it was super easy to go into trade chat and trade 1 for 1 within the same map tier. It might be a little harder now, but if you offer a good layout for a bad one you'll probably have no issue.

• Options
    If I'm going Ancestral Warchief, any suggestions on filler skills until I get into Act III-IV?

• Options
    Dual wield Abberath's and use Frostbolt + Flame Totem. Then when you have the double totem node either Flame Totems or Flameblast Totems until you have a weapon for Warchief.

• Options
    I just made 2 handers using essences and used cleave until 30ish. It was all right, but spells would probably be faster.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

I made one interleague and felt the same way but was mapping with someone using the build and it looked so amazing I had to try it. Now that I'm basically perma speedflask/stibnite/basalt and have high uptime on vinktars, I'm loving it. I don't even have stun immunity at this point and it isn't too annoying (although i"ll need to sort that out to move to red maps). My first char is fb totems and that was boring me to death so diff strokes etc.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else interested in joining Winged Ancients / Rabble? @themightypuck and @Pacificstar have both been recruited. Send "Hefftex" a tell if interested.

Puck's BV build is great until he's not paying attention and gets out of range of my buff bot when running T12's. Then he goes poof!

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    fuuuuck my sweep slayer ripped becuase I'm stupid and keep forgetting I dont have capped cold resist and got gang banged by sea witches. this is of course right after pondering if I should use the alpha howl I just found.....god dammit...

Also I'm surprised I never hear more about sweep builds. I feel like its superior to cyclone is almost every way, I had no issue slaughtering things in low tier maps with just a 4 link doomsower with increased aoe gem to boot. I was having so much fun with it I think I'm gonna just keep leveling him in pleb standard for map practice.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    fuuuuck my sweep slayer ripped becuase I'm stupid and keep forgetting I dont have capped cold resist and got gang banged by sea witches. this is of course right after pondering if I should use the alpha howl I just found.....god dammit...

Also I'm surprised I never hear more about sweep builds. I feel like its superior to cyclone is almost every way, I had no issue slaughtering things in low tier maps with just a 4 link doomsower with increased aoe gem to boot. I was having so much fun with it I think I'm gonna just keep leveling him in pleb standard for map practice.

Hegemony is big on the leap sweeper. It needs a ton of attack speed to really take off but it's a solid build once you're there

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Anyone know of any sites with good beginner builds? I'm looking for something that tells me what items to look for, where to put my skill points, etc. I'm pretty clueless. I started a witch, and I'd like to do some kind of fire build.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Anyone know of any sites with good beginner builds? I'm looking for something that tells me what items to look for, where to put my skill points, etc. I'm pretty clueless. I started a witch, and I'd like to do some kind of fire build.

For ideas you can check YT. There are a few decent channels but YMMV since what's OP in 2.3 might be OK in 2.4. I like pathofexilebuilds but it is pretty much a youtube version of what would be easier to put on a spreadsheet. Gives you a sense of ideas though. For witch fire, an easy way to start is firestorm or summon raging spirits.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck