As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] 6.0 Out now! Blizzcon INC Nov 7+8!

• Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    The Male trolls are kind of a letdown for me - They pretty much look the exact same. Not sure what I was expecting but seems kinda weird that the females look much improved and the males are basically cut/paste of current models.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Part of me wants to make a joke about messing with perfection.

Down to two left for "Deck Your Collection" the two gimmicky fights (bear&lady and blingtron). I was able to brute force the others (Mingus was a joke and Blind Hero only got off one 360 degree attack).

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Perfection, by definition, cannot be improved upon.

Never mind, Nobody beat me.

Yes, that's an Odysseus reference.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    At least I'm not the only one thinking about the whole "improving perfection" line of reasoning :D

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Madican wrote: »
    Maybe. I went through Vash'jir once and was so bored by the experience that I never set foot in there again since the beginning of Cata outside of a couple quick trips to get Elder Coins and bonfires.

In other news, made up a list of a "couple" (117) mounts I still need to get that I think I can get. I left off TCG/Blizzard store ones and haven't gone through to organize them yet. I'll be putting them in categories like raid drops, reputation, etc.

http://simplearmory.com provides checklists for everything (mounts, pets, achievements, etc.) based on what you already have, categorizes them and has Wowhead links for everything you can collect in the game.

Samphis on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    That is a super cool site!

Nice to still find new things 10 years later, never seen that before.

EDIT: The only drawback seems to be it pulls from your account achievements and not character.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    troll update doesn't seem to exciting to me; they look super similar to how they looked before

are they changing up any of the animations to go along with the new skeletons? A lot of my issue with the troll models was actually their animations I think

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Samphis wrote: »
    Maybe. I went through Vash'jir once and was so bored by the experience that I never set foot in there again since the beginning of Cata outside of a couple quick trips to get Elder Coins and bonfires.

In other news, made up a list of a "couple" (117) mounts I still need to get that I think I can get. I left off TCG/Blizzard store ones and haven't gone through to organize them yet. I'll be putting them in categories like raid drops, reputation, etc.

http://simplearmory.com provides checklists for everything (mounts, pets, achievements, etc.) based on what you already have, categorizes them and has Wowhead links for everything you can collect in the game.

Well I'm feeling like a slacker now on those mounts.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Acharenus wrote: »
    [
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Really I think the whole WOD time travel thing should be the Dreadlords like Varimathras and Mal'ganis.
    because obviously the first trick by the burning legion did not really work but the Orcs were good shock troops so why not take a different angle
    Alas this probably will not be the route they take

What do you mean?

The dread lords going back in time...or something?

We already know a bronze dragon assists garrosh in going back in time, and I assume the moment he did it became an alternate timeline. The horde in that timeline reject the legions offer and form the iron horde.

I feel the dreadlords are a better use as it brings up the rather Machiavellian games they are playing in favor of the burning legion
    The Bronze Dragonflight is really just some poor junior high fiction

By using the Dreadlords it shows what happened to them when Varimathras and Mal'ganis popped out through a portal or such in Wrath and nothing was heard from them since

I know whatever happened in a book I did not bother to read is the LORE.
    But still I feel this would better explore the angle and the overwhelming threat of the Legion and what have they been doing?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2014
    Varg wrote: »
    The Male trolls are kind of a letdown for me - They pretty much look the exact same. Not sure what I was expecting but seems kinda weird that the females look much improved and the males are basically cut/paste of current models.
    The female models were among the worst in the game. Mainly because people whined about the original alpha models because every female model needs to be sexy. I assume they ran into time limitations when reworking them and the shoddy elves with tusks are what we ended up with.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I really have had 5 or 6 female trolls before at one point I went meh and deleted them.
    I still have my troll warlock whom I just shoveled all the cloth herilooms on and play with every now and again.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    but can the female trolls blink

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    but can the female trolls blink
    A blue actually said they can blink.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    With the heal toenail probably

• Options
    AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    Someone pointed out that female trolls have a toenail on their heel, and now I can't stop staring at it.

It was on the old model too.

I'll never un-see that now...

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I don't mind the female trolls, since now it looks like we'll have some variation. Troll faces were ugly, crone, hideous, cute, ugly, hideous..... 5 out of 6 female trolls had the same damn face. Female orcs didn't have as much of an issue, since there was a couple faces that didn't look so bad.

• Options
    There certainly hasn't been much variation in the troll female...or male heads, and given how they want to stick close to the originals Which I'd like to think is anything but a mercantile desire for more re-customization money but I just can't. That trend wont be changing...at least they'll be higher fidelity now, you'll get to really feel the ugly!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Samphis wrote: »

Yeah, I knew about SimpleArmory but I wanted something on Google docs that I can add a bit more detail to. I have it set up to organize the mounts by what category they fall under (Loot, Raid, Rep, etc), exactly what I need to do to get them (listing all the achieves for the meta I still need and anything like tokens for Argent Tournament), as well as how much they cost in terms of gold, materials, or other currency. This then lets me pick and choose a couple from each category to go after at once that I can set aside on the list. I did the same thing with Bigger Bag and the Brawler Guild bosses.

For example, I'm currently working towards the two Stormwind mounts from Argent Tournament, so the list details that I'll need 25 of the token to unlock Champion of Stormwind, meaning I need to do dailies there, then I'll need to get Exalted to unlock Exalted Champion of Stormwind in order to be eligible to purchase the mounts. I'm also trying for the Kara and ZG mounts (because their portals are close to each other) and wearing city tabards to help with the rep, having my Warrior solo 10M Ulduar (haven't done it yet but it's on the list to try) for salvaged Chopper parts, and getting the materials to make the Tailoring mounts.

I dunno. Just helps to keep me organized in my own personal way. I can then delete things as I get them, so I'll be able to visibly see the list go down instead of a simple check-off.

Madican on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I agree that new male trolls barely seem different, but they were one of, if not the best "old" models I can think of anyway, so keeping the spirit of the models + higher res and a little more tone in the body is fine. Females look much better to me, if only because they actually have different looking faces now. The female troll faces they showed look mean, and that's awesome.

Javen on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It took a minute to realize the first picture was the old model, and even then the only tip off was the hair.

The weird thing is, look at before and after shots of Vol'jin, and you can see a massive difference.

I can only imagine we'll see a bigger difference once we see the different face paints in action.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah I had to look at the bodies before I noticed anything. The faces are actually really similar

• Options
    The faces aren't all that similar to the originals considering all troll females seem to have a blank-faced thousand yard stare going on at all times and these pictures show them having actual emotion.

• Options
    The faces aren't all that similar to the originals considering all troll females seem to have a blank-faced thousand yard stare going on at all times and these pictures show them having actual emotion.

Yeah the females are way different. The males are strikingly similar, though. Probably the most 'unchanged' that we've seen so far. Them and gnomes, I'd say

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Can somebody recommend a resource for how to gear your characters and what skill rotations to use? Mainly worried about rogue and mage. I quit before the end of wrath and all the new stuff is pretty overwhelming.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Bubs wrote: »
    Can somebody recommend a resource for how to gear your characters and what skill rotations to use? Mainly worried about rogue and mage. I quit before the end of wrath and all the new stuff is pretty overwhelming.

My default is http://www.icy-veins.com

After that, check the MMOChamp forums for tweaks.

• Options
    Icy Veins to learn rotations, stat priority, and a couple tricks since they're written by top players in the classes.

AskMrRobot can help you decide what pieces of gear to go for as well as the reforging/gemming/enchanting you should do. Take what it says with a grain of salt since it can get some things wrong (make sure to fiddle with the options because things can be drastically different with some of them on/not on), but it's worked well for me for quite some time and has even spotted a couple instances where I could reforge/gem a bit different and gain 3% more mastery without sacrificing hit/expertise.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    tbh male trolls were probably the best looking vanilla race, so small changes don't bother me there. females getting totally redone was obviously needed, worst model in the game.

i do wonder if they're going to touch on any of the animations for running/attacking with the revamp though. troll males are ok but females were just really bad and half baked on that front as well.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I was pretty sure they were doing the animations as well...They're entirely new skeletons aren't they?

• Options
    Yeah, new skeletons and animations, from the ground up is my understanding.

I tell you what though, either way, these cinematic teasers are making the new models look super old, even though they're new.

now I'm dreaming of a version of WoW with visuals like this:
    teaser3.jpg

• Options
    The animations more polished, but I don't think we'll see different movements altogether. They're too committed to keeping the "spirit" of all the existing models, and simply increasing fidelity.

• Options
    What I was trying to say was that since they're using totally new skeletons, the old animations won't just fit over them. I recall one of the earlier artcrafts saying that they were totally redoing the animations due to the new skeletons, but yeah, they'll be keeping the spirit of the old ones.

• Options
    I understand keeping the spirit of the old models since people grew to like the look of their characters or I wasted X time picking this suck screw you if you want to change it thoughts

But I really do now feel there is a massive new WOW game just over the horizon

• Options
    I don't know...I just don't know if Blizzard is willing to put in the time and money to build another MMO, when all the writing on the wall says the age of MMOs has passed. The astounding success of Hearthstone, and likely success of whatever the MOBA game is called, and the comparatively casual nature of Diablo 3 do not scream 'let's pour several hundred million dollars and five years time into a WoW 2'

• Options
    WoW still has the most subscribers by a very large margin, so there is really no reason to invest in competition for that. I am fairly certain that and the iffy MMO market right now are why Titan went back to the drawing board.

Shit, one of the reasons why WoW keeps the players is because they have several years invested into it, and it takes a lot to make them even considering giving that up. WoW 2 would throw that advantage out the window and it would have to compete against that.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Why the hell did I choose an Elemental Shaman as my Herald of the Titans toon? Wrath has bupkis in terms of intellect mail. Only thing left is the boots and it seems like no one has the pattern.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I could see them pulling off a WoW 2 if it was an expansion in disguise but Blizzard doesn't work fast enough to make doing that a possibility.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Only way I could see a WoW 2 working, is if it pulled something like what FFXIV did. Thus avoiding the issues of the playerbase being split between WoW and WoW2, while allowing everyone to start over lvl and gear wise at step one, but still bring over many of the things that players had from original WoW (aka wealth, pets, reps and mounts). On the other hand, there is no rule that they have to stick with some of the rules they've bound themselves too, I'm sure if there was a will, they could also do a WoW 2.0 where they rebuild the engine and graphics, while possibly dropping some of the fidelity to having to maintain some of the old stuff, but without having to reset everyone back to lvl one. Hell, some of the stuff I read and watch have played with the idea of having MMOs that are decades old, that just keep releasing new patches and expansion, while continuing to upgrade things to keep up with technology and implement systems that allow new players to catch up at a reasonable pace.

Though from what I'm seeing with WoD, I'm not sure there is any kind of motivation at Blizz to really evolve the franchise. It seems more geared towards milking WoW for everything it's worth with minimal effort. It certainly helps that players have time invested into the game and are loath to give it up, but even that only takes you so far. I do suspect this somewhat played into why they dropped Titan, that was likely going to compete with WoW for subs (I also suspect something like Destiny played a part as well, I mean that had me more interested when I first heard of it than Titan ever did). Plus, while there probably is a fair bit of overlap between sci-fi and fantasy fans, I got the impression a Titan release would probably exacerbate the issue they are trying to solve with virtual realms. Not everyone playing WoW would job ship for Titan, but you probably get a hefty enough drop in people that leave completely and people that cut down on play, thus impacting play for others on their servers. That you would see a fair number of players just stop playing, who didn't pick up Titan because activity on there servers declined too much. If I were Blizz I would probably want to do my next MMO in a way where it either outright replaces WoW as a new fantasy MMO or essentially evolve WoW in a way that is more than just a mere expansion (aka implement changes that really excites gamers, even ones that don't play WoW).

As an aside, I would love to see someone attempt the concept of Elder Tales from the Log Horizon light novels.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I really think the FFXIV-style bottom-up overhaul and re-release would be the best choice for WoW.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I really think the FFXIV-style bottom-up overhaul and re-release would be the best choice for WoW.

Preach it, brother. Hitting Level 100 would have been a perfectly symbolic point for ending WOW and rolling into WOW2, but they chose not to do it. Puzzling...

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »

Preach it, brother. Hitting Level 100 would have been a perfectly symbolic point for ending WOW and rolling into WOW2, but they chose not to do it. Puzzling...

I don't think it needs to be WoW2, but if it were, I would be 100% ok with a 'final' post WoD expansion that was lateral progression, no levels (like most of FFXI's xpacks), but had you taking all the shit to Sargeras finally.

That would close so many threads in the lore that an overhaul and/or sequel would actually feel completely appropriate. There would still be plenty of things to do with all the stuff in Warcraft lore, but it'd feel like a whole new world almost with the core of the demon threat ostensibly gone. It'd free up a lot of weight and allow new stories or continuations of old ones, without that constantly hanging over everything making what should be big deals feel lesser in comparison.

In other news, 5 minutes till the reveal.

This discussion has been closed.