As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robin Williams has died

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    We tend to say "fuck this year" every year. Important people are always dying, the internet age just makes damned sure we know when it happens.

I think it is more that as we get older, the people who are dying are people from our youth so it hits a lot harder.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My favorite movie of his was always The Birdcage, followed closely by Aladdin. We watched Aladdin in the week after my son was born. I think I am going to watch it again tonight.

Depression is a bitch. There are days for me when... but there is almost always someone to talk to, even if it's posting here.

I never know if anyone else really gets where I'm coming from, but thank you to those who listen for letting me talk.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I never realized that I had a deep appreciation for Robin Williams' work.

:(

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Oh my god

I am literally teary-eyed.

I hope his family is okay.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I just watch what dreams may come a while back, a movie I always watch when I feel my depression kicking up.

I didn't know he had depression. That just hurts. Real bad.

No I don't.
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Making it to 60 with depression is a hell of an achievement.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    We didn't do a whole lot growing up. We weren't poor, exactly, or neglected. We just didn't get out and do much, save for a few fishing trips a year. But we'd always head to the theater for the next Williams release.

My brother and I always liked What Dreams May Come, more than most people. After he came back from his tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, putting that movie on and just watching it with him was probably the only way to communicate with him on a personal level that didn't involve alcohol.

This man will never know what he gave me, and I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to tell you, you did so much.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I tried to tell housemates about this, but I couldn't.
    This is a melodramatic post, but I'm not afraid of speaking words often. It felt like wielding a knife, and someone else can have that honor.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Bicentennial Man, What Dreams May Come, Patch Adams, and One Hour Photo are some of my favorite movies of all time. This is a terrible fucking tragedy for everyone. I hope he's finally found peace.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Depression is a bitch. There are days for me when... but there is almost always someone to talk to, even if it's posting here.

I think that's why I'm so upset. I've battled depression on and off for years. It sucks on a level that I can't put into words. It just tears me up inside that someone who made me so happy had to die feeling so horribly low.

I'm trying to see the good side. I see Twitter is flooded with numbers and e-mail addresses for depression and suicide prevention charities, but even so... I was upset after Ramis, but this is just killing me.

• Options
    Fisher King.

No I don't.
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    I tried to tell housemates about this, but I couldn't.
    This is a melodramatic post, but I'm not afraid of speaking words often. It felt like wielding a knife, and someone else can have that honor.

i get this. we had a long meeting in the office today and didn't see the news until after. kinda wanted to talk a little with my coworkers about this, but it felt wrong.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    :(

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I loved him in One-Hour Photo. I mean, I hated the movie, but he was so fucking creepy in that movie and knew him from all comedies; I didn't think he could pull that off and it just gave me a tremendous respect for his range.

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    there needs to be a national movement of support groups for depression like there is for addiction. guy like this kills himself, what fucking chance do I have?

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I think my favourite film of his as a kid was probably Jumanji. I watched that thing so many times I started wearing out the vhs.

• Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    The Fisher King blew my mind when I saw it as a kid. That movie is bananas.

I think I'm gonna have to find a copy

• Options
    the cheat wrote: »
    there needs to be a national movement of support groups for depression like there is for addiction. guy like this kills himself, what fucking chance do I have?

All the chance in the world. This is something you can handle. We're all very lucky, we have this place to support us when things get real bad.

No I don't.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I am watching the Robin Williams episode of Louie right now

It's simultaneously the best and the worst choice

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I now realize there's a slew of Robin Williams films I hadn't seen

Hook (well I already knew I hadn't seen this one, it was brought up when Hoskins died), Good Morning Vietnam, Patch Adams, What Dreams May Come, Bicentennial Man

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This reminds me of when Phil Hartman died.

I had such a hard time accepting the fact he was dead I wasn't able to be sad for a while.

Then when I finally accepted it, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

• Options

I think that's why I'm so upset. I've battled depression on and off for years. It sucks on a level that I can't put into words. It just tears me up inside that someone who made me so happy had to die feeling so horribly low.

I'm trying to see the good side. I see Twitter is flooded with numbers and e-mail addresses for depression and suicide prevention charities, but even so... I was upset after Ramis, but this is just killing me.

I think of how often I've felt that way and just.. haven't done it. Recently, even, really thought about it. But I have a 15-month-old, and I guess I can't let him see that.

It's one of those things where I'm saddened to see this happen, and I'm drinking a little so that I can fucking cry about about it, but he struggled for so long with that and I just.. get that.

• Options
    Too many of his movies dealt with characters who had serious depression.

No I don't.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Heads up, for those of you with US Netflix, here are your options for tonight:

The Birdcage
    Jumanji
    The Fisher King
    Hook
    Popeye
    World's Greatest Dad

That last one might be in questionable taste though.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I should watch his Louie episode tonight, but it'll just bum me out even more.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This reminds me of when Phil Hartman died.

I had such a hard time accepting the fact he was dead I wasn't able to be sad for a while.

Then when I finally accepted it, it hit me like a ton of bricks.

See, I was too young to really know who Phil Hartman was at the time (I was 11 of 12), but I still remember the news of it happening, and years later when I discovered the magic of his roles in The Simpsons and NewsRadio, it made me really bummed retroactively

Once you get to the age where it's people you recognize and the deaths start hitting you hard, it really sucks

Roger Ebert was my first really huge one, and now this

I'm not crying, I don't think it's hit me just yet, but I won't be surprised if I do

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Do not wait to tell people you love them and that they mean a lot to you. Do not wait. Don't be embarrassed, just do it.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The only emotion I'm feeling right now about the sudden news is "well dang, I never sat down and watched Popeye all the way through" because death is weird, especially when it's sudden

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    the cheat wrote: »

It's like Stephen Fry said when he admitted he tried to kill himself recently. Everybody thinks you can reason with a suicidal person, but you can't. Suicide is unreasonable. The only thing you can do is, when you feel like you can't go on, remember that you're not being reasonable and go and talk to a reasonable person so you can get the intervention you need.

Just do that. Hold on to that. Do that one thing. The rest will take care of itself.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I think hook is my favorite.
    What dreams may come is a very earnest, emotional film that I'm not sure I can recommend in this situation.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I think a lot of us here have coped with depression at some point in our lives. It's a bitch, when I was younger I don't know if i ever seriously contemplated suicide but I used to harbor thoughts of how it would be ok if I were hit by a bus and died.

For the most part it doesn't impact me anymore because I'm on meds and luckily for me they've made a huge improvement. Still though, one in a while I find myself feeling sad for no good reason.

The thing I hate about the meds though is in not as happy so I used to be either. My mood fluctuated from incredibly happy to incredibly sad. Now my mood stays relatively level with the occasional bump up or down.

I miss those really high moments but the really low moments weren't worth it.

• Options
    Quoth wrote: »
    Do not wait to tell people you love them and that they mean a lot to you. Do not wait. Don't be embarrassed, just do it.

Fucking PREACH. I live by this.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i'm thinking on his work, feeling like there are so many movies of his i meant to watch but never got around to

but then there are still so many that I did see. He was all over the movies for me, right from the beginning. First or second one I remember seeing in the theater was Mrs. Doubtfire

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    man =[

this sucks

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i'm not sure how world's greatest dad would hit someone atm, but it's a really great lesser-seen/more recent movie, for anyone looking to check out those films of his they may not have seen yet

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Remember that photo of Williams in a games workshop?

I always thought that it was neat how he was so into those quirky little nerdy things like games and never seemed ashamed.

Just seemed like a kind of guy you'd love to meet and talk with about anything.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »

Fucking PREACH. I live by this.

I yearn for you tragically.

R. O. Shipman, Chaplain, U.S. Army.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I can honestly say that a lot of who and what I am comes from being a fan of Robin Williams, specifically wearing out the VHS tape where my mom recorded his Live at The Met performance; I watched that tape so many damn times that I could probably quote it verbatim to this day.

I have siblings, but I was raised as an only child by a single mother, we moved every year of my life for over a decade, I never had a school last longer than one year and I never had friends for longer than that. Making friends got easier, but I had no one to talk to about my depression, my family treated it like it was a phase or well, you'll probably grow out of it.

Seeing this amazing nutbar go through character after character in a matter of seconds, seeing the depth of his knowledge come out in flashes of brilliance ... I'm not actually surprised to learn of his depression, I caught glimpses of it from seeing his quiet moments in interviews and documentaries, those moments where he wouldn't look at another person, just his hands, like he was holding his soul and trying to figure out how to show it to everyone.

I'm gonna miss you, Rob, you were absolutely unique and you absolutely taught me that laughter is one of the most important sounds anyone can make.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I've had depression for most of my life. I'm in a better place now, but if I had listened to my mother or had just stopped fighting it...

RIP Robin Williams. I grew up watching your movies, and now the world is a sadder place with out you.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ugh. Think it's time for a marathon of his movies I have available.

Not What Dreams May Come, though. That movie makes me a complete wreck even in the best of circumstances.