As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robin Williams has died

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Robin Williams could beard with the best of them.

better than, even

he bearded with roughly 90% of his body

• Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    Fucking Popeye man. I watched that movie so many times

If you can find his stand up, be sure to watch it

This is terrible
    I don't know if I could watch a movie of his right now

I wanna take a walk but I don't want to cry outside in public

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    This movie is corny, but I still love it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOQM8kL5AMs

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Remember that photo of Williams in a games workshop?

I always thought that it was neat how he was so into those quirky little nerdy things like games and never seemed ashamed.

Just seemed like a kind of guy you'd love to meet and talk with about anything.

He named his daughter Zelda. Zelda.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    robotbeerobotbee Drop any other moon on his face -Jupiter has so many it won't even careRegistered User regular
    Too close, a little too close. The sheer amount of meta in Aladdin is mindblowing.
    His standup was INCREDIBLY inappropriate for a kid to listen to, but the library still let me check some out on vinyl. Thanks for teaching young me all sorts of nicknames for the penis, Mr. Williams. You will be missed.

Whom the fly chicks tagged Lenore, nameless here forevermore.
  • Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to watch Death To Smoochy this weekend with a few drinks.

Not his greatest, I know, but it always makes me laugh.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    i'm thinking on his work, feeling like there are so many movies of his i meant to watch but never got around to

but then there are still so many that I did see. He was all over the movies for me, right from the beginning. First or second one I remember seeing in the theater was Mrs. Doubtfire

Popeye was amazing when I was a kid, it still holds a great deal of charm.

The World According to Garp is ... it's actually quite gut-wrenching, but has amazing humorous moments; John Lithgow plays a transgender lady and it's a more tasteful performance than you might think.

Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting are still landmark performances, right along with Fisher King.

Like ceres said, One Hour Photo isn't for everyone, but his performance is chilling.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I'm just shocked at the idea that we will never hear his voice say anything new again.

His voice in my mind is just... pure comfort and joy and knowledge to me. And somehow something i can instantly conjure, its just so unforgettable. I cant get over this, but at the same time feel so blessed that he left such a legacy, I just feel lucky to have witnessed him.

That said my dad, who to my knowledge has never really been depressed in his life, recently has admitted to being so at the moment, and he is also 63. Hes getting help and hes not bottling it up and we all kinda know its related to work nonsense not a whole legacy of depression, but I am just going to give him a massive hug when i see him next.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I had never seen fisher king.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I'm going to go with Aladdin. Order a pizza and sing every goddam song in that movie.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I had never seen fisher king.

It's fantastic. One of his best movies.

No I don't.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

I always thought that it was neat how he was so into those quirky little nerdy things like games and never seemed ashamed.

Zelda is a real name people use, actually. Wasn't invented by videogames.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Looking at his filmography, it looks like Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb will be his last theatrically-released film

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh my God. OH MY GOD

HOW DID I FORGET DEATH TO SMOOCHY

I CHANGE MY VOTE, THAT WAS THE BESTEST

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    When my mother was marrying my father her ex-husband found out the weekend they were planning on heading to the courthouse and purposefully dropped off my sister to try and "ruin" their honeymoon.

My sister went back to Kindergarten after Christmas vacation was over and bragged to her class about how she got to go on a honeymoon and saw Popeye in theaters and had dinner at Pizza Hut.

• Options

Yes, but he actually did name his daughter after the video game

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

... except that it has been explicitly stated in interviews that she was named for the videogame princess, so...

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Yes, but that is not why he named her that

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Actually no sorry, the guy is dead, let's not have an argument about this please.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Philip Seymour, not Dustin.

Ohhh

Sorry, I had Hook on the brain

because the Hook brings you back

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh man, can't believe I nearly forgot this. Staple of my childhood

http://youtu.be/5OxoWmB3_X4

Looks like a lot of full episodes are up on youtube so I guess that's my evenings sorted for the next week or two.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    People will argue about anything

Really, it's not even worth it

I've seen people argue viciously and with personal insults about what kind of silverware you should use

At some point you just throw up your hands and lock the thread.

• Options
    What I remember most about robin williams is the kindness in his voice, and the joy he started to have when the crowd started laughing with him. That's what I want to hold on to.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    he did a reddit AMA 10 months ago
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1n41x1/robin_williams_its_time_for_a_convoluted_stream/

He loved warhammer, loved Ghost In the Shell, and wanted to play the short guy with funny hair if it ever went live action, and his favorite game was Ocarina of Time.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    I was looking for that Nintendo Robin Williams Comercials from a while back, and youtube has a bunch of his stand specials.

I think this was the last one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCxqbT2Ru8

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

True, but the man's gone on record saying her name's a reference to the game.

Jesus this is such a hard thing to take in. My childhood was like 60% Robin Williams movies. Aladdin, Fern Gully, Jack, Jumanji, Flubber. Flubber! I fucking loved Flubber. I miss him already.

• Options
    xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Robin Williams was my childhood. Fuck!

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • Options
    He was in Fern Gully?

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    He was in Fern Gully?

Yeah, he was the bat

• Options
    ceres wrote: »
    He was in Fern Gully?

Yes!

Batty!

I think that was his name, he was the bat

(I don't really remember much about Fern Gully except the villain was a giant smog cloud)

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Mrs. Doubtfire is a supremely underrated movie.

signature.png

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    he did a reddit AMA 10 months ago
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1n41x1/robin_williams_its_time_for_a_convoluted_stream/

He loved warhammer, loved Ghost In the Shell, and wanted to play the short guy with funny hair if it ever went live action, and his favorite game was Ocarina of Time.

...and also went into a sex shop in full Mrs. Doubtfire makeup during filming to buy a double headed dildo.

Just because.

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    i just played Batty Rap (Fern Gully) for a DJing room - someone else got to "Friend Like Me" first.

• Options
    Mrs. Doubtfire is my dad's favorite movie ever. I have seen that movie so many times.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This..

This isn't hitting me as hard as I thought it was. I mean.. yeah.. he's gone.. and that sucks. But I'm not crying, and I'm not rushing to go watch some of his work.

He's always been a huge inspiration to me.. and now I'm even more glad I'm on anti-depressants. But.. it just makes me..

I dunno.. Maybe I'm getting numb to celebrity deaths?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    Wow. Actually legitimately heartbroken right now.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Mrs. Doubtfire is a supremely underrated movie.

Upon further review it won an Oscar for makeup! Robin Williams got a Golden Globe for it!

I don't know why, but I had the perception that people didn't really like this movie. Good job, people, you've bested my cynical side once again.

signature.png

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Heads up, for those of you with US Netflix, here are your options for tonight:

The Birdcage
    Jumanji
    The Fisher King
    Hook
    Popeye
    World's Greatest Dad

That last one might be in questionable taste though.

I almost made this post.

Also hulu has stuff, and prime has Weapons of Mass Destruction

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I don't think this has quite hit me yet. I don't think it will for awhile. And I'm not looking forward to the time when it falls on me with all its terrible weight.

That's another comedian I've loved for years, lost to depression. Fucking shit.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky