As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robin Williams has died

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    http://youtu.be/3p47bGlZuDA

This was the first the first thing I ever saw robin williams in. It was the first time I realized that being an adult doesn't mean I have to act like one.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I posted this in the D&D thread too, but just in case anyone needs this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Depression is a bitch. There are days for me when... but there is almost always someone to talk to, even if it's posting here.

I think that's why I'm so upset. I've battled depression on and off for years. It sucks on a level that I can't put into words. It just tears me up inside that someone who made me so happy had to die feeling so horribly low.

I'm trying to see the good side. I see Twitter is flooded with numbers and e-mail addresses for depression and suicide prevention charities, but even so... I was upset after Ramis, but this is just killing me.

I think of how often I've felt that way and just.. haven't done it. Recently, even, really thought about it. But I have a 15-month-old, and I guess I can't let him see that.

It's one of those things where I'm saddened to see this happen, and I'm drinking a little so that I can fucking cry about about it, but he struggled for so long with that and I just.. get that.

I think the thing that saved me was my Granddad dying. Or more particularly my Mum crying at his graveside when his funeral was over because we all started heading to the wake and she didn't want to leave him there alone. I knew right then I could never kill myself so long as she was alive. I just couldn't do that to her. Luckily things have been a lot better for me, the last few years.

But yeah, I know the lows are awful and I just hate that that's how he died. I hate it. I am so angry and upset and I don't even know what to do right now.

My Mum and Sister got a photo with him. They were on a trip to New York and spotted him coming out from a restaurant. He was ignoring the crowds trying to get his attention but heard their accents and when they explained they were visiting from Ireland he was really sweet and stopped to talk to them and posed for a photo. I'm guessing my Mum is asleep and hasn't heard. I'll text her tomorrow. Maybe I'll call.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I don't usually get emotional over celebrity deaths.

But hearing that it was a suicide absolutely crushes me.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Rest in peace, Mister Williams.

• Options
    number13number13 Registered User regular
    When I was in high school, we had a substitute teacher one day and instead of teaching the assigned lesson I talked him into letting us watch Mrs. Doubtfire on VHS.

When our teacher got back the next day, she asked the class to write an anonymous letter to tell her who ruined the lesson, and somebody wrote Robin Williams.

That was a good day. We made popcorn.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2014
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/08/11/statement-president-passing-robin-williams
    Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien – but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most – from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin’s family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I just had a thought:

Today, Robin Williams died. Earlier this year, so did Bob Hoskins. If Dustin Hoffman dies that will mean that outside of Julia Roberts and the guy who played Rufio, the entire principal cast of Hook will be dead.

I don't want to live in that world.

Please don't die, Dustin Hoffman. And you, Ms. Roberts.

Also Rufio.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

I'm writing a short story called Black Dog, about Depression. Things just got real...

...Heh. Yeah.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    my favorite park of Mork and Mindy might have been him secretly calling Orson fat at the end of each episode. Like he'd call him "Your Buickness" which of course Orson had no idea was just a really huge car.

I'm super bummed =(

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I just had a thought:

Today, Robin Williams died. Earlier this year, so did Bob Hoskins. If Dustin Hoffman dies that will mean that outside of Julia Roberts and the guy who played Rufio, the entire principal cast of Hook will be dead.

Also Rufio.

Maggie Smith is alive

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Lol i had totally forgotten about this. My dad has this shirt that my mom called his "Robin Williams" shirt, a crazy looking Hawiian shirt and i could never figure out what they were referring to or when. My mom has apparently tried to donate it to goodwill every year, and my dad has kept it every year. It never disappears.

It is basically that shirt from the life video clip above. Made me smile.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    I have never, never felt sad at a celebrity death.

Its always man, what a loss. What a shame.

Some really cool people have passed on in my time.. but man Robin Williams? I don't know what to say about that man. Hes an inspiration to me, his mind works so quickly.

I knew from reading about him he had struggled with depression. I always thought he put that pain to such great use in his comedy. That he seemed to cope with it so well and channel it into such positive output in his work is amazing. I hold Death to Smoochy dear for that juxtaposition, he is simultaneously at one of his most outrageous but horribly dark in that role.

Which is really why my initial reaction was similar to the scene in the sewer hovel... just a pure unadulterated...

[1:38 I can't get it to embed at the right time and can't find a stand alone clip]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8-ATbUJ1Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=98

..followed by silent sobbing.

The man was one of the Greatest.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Jesus, I'm glad not the president. Tens of thousands dying or facing threats from global conflicts and someone passes you a note that Robin Williams died.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    I really wanna have a drink over this, but knowing how he struggled for so long with alcohol, I most certainly will not.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The Fisher King is a real good movie.

Probably my favorite Williams movie

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    number13 wrote: »
    I really wanna have a drink over this, but knowing how he struggled for so long with alcohol, I most certainly will not.

this was my exact thought process not one hour ago.

fuck it. i'm pouring out a goddamn diet soda on the curb for Robin Williams.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    number13 wrote: »

I saw an interview where he openly joked about falling off the wagon with one drink, just cracking the top of one little airplane bottle of whiskey and taking a single swig was pretty much a switch being flipped:

*twist*

*sip*

"Oh, yeah, WELCOME BACK, ASSHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLE!"

It was a moment of honest pain that he turned into laughter.

Or his performance at The Met:
    I had to stop drinking because I kept waking up nude on the hood of my car with my keys in my ass!

"Hey, Rob, you alright?"

*fiddles with keys in ass*

"Nah, isss fine, jus' a little flooded."

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I'm watching Hook with tears streaming down my face.

He was the guy that let me know that I didn't need to fear the noises in my head...that I could give them voices. Use them to tell stories.

This is my favorite thing he's ever done...and I try to keep it in mind every day:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LsIh5z7oYyY?rel=0&start=2205&end=2379&autoplay=0

I hope that embeds with the right time and all that.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I appreciate that, but his processes are not my processes.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    As someone who has struggled off and on with depression for 15 or so years now, I can hardly began to comprehend what it must've been like for him after all this time. Unfortunately, even when treated, depression is a beast of many forms and sometimes you find the one you can't wrestle away from.

That being said, do not try to view him as a man who hid his demons. Think of him as a man who celebrated the joyous moments of his life and tried to share them with as many people as he could. It is only fair.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The Fisher King is a real good movie.

Probably my favorite Williams movie

You should know that one of our Literature professors just posted the same thing.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I saw it mentioned a while back but his performance in Insomnia is really really good.

There is a monologue from him in it that is hard to watch.

http://youtu.be/i5LkYTKPZmI

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I appreciate that, but his processes are not my processes.

Definitely didn't mean to marginalize your grieving in any way. Everybody deals with death and grieving in their own ways and all of them are valid and important.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    One of the first comedy albums I was ever given was "Reality... What A Concept." I loved it. I loved "Mork & Mindy." I even loved Robert Altman’s "Popeye." Robin Williams meant a lot to me when I was a kid. I knew nothing of drug use or depression. It never occurred to me that comedians, these magical creatures that I worshiped, ever felt anything other than the serene satisfaction derived from making people laugh.

Eventually, I started doing standup myself, and I very quickly learned that comedians were all too human. There is no less sadness in the comedy community than there is in any other workforce; that is to say, jobs are jobs and people are people and no occupation makes anyone depression-proof. This both comforts and frustrates me.

Robin Williams made me laugh so many times. So many times. When I was a kid, having problems of my own, feeling unpleasantly different from the people who populated my world, I found sanctuary watching this guy on TV who was celebrated for being a weirdo, for being an oddball, for being silly. He was praised for having a mind that produced delightful absurdities with great speed. No one told him to be quiet. No one tried to make him act like everyone else.

He was a hero to me.

I had occasion to meet him once, not too long ago, and he could not have been nicer or friendlier or calmer. He was just there to watch the show that was happening that night. He wasn't trying to get on stage; he just -- still -- loved comedy.

I didn't tell him any of the things I just wrote here. No doubt, he heard similar things from countless people over his decades-long career. And it's a colossal shame that being a meaningful presence in the lives of many people, family, friends and strangers alike, isn't an impenetrable bulwark against despair. It's profoundly unfair that, if he couldn't live forever, he couldn't at least feel able to keep going for his allotted time. I know something of depression, and how bottomless and relentless and insurmountable it feels, but I have never known the unfathomable despair that Robin Williams must have felt. I can't even begin to imagine it.

Robin Williams will live on in shadows and light and sound, at least. He will continue to comfort weird little kids (and odd adults, for that matter) with his performances, those who know his work today and those who have yet to be born, who may experience him ten, fifty, a hundred years from now. But this is cold comfort indeed.

There will be much celebration, in the coming weeks and months, of Robin Williams’ life and career. But perhaps the best tribute to him would be if we all reached out to the troubled people in our lives and let them know that we are here for them. Because Robin Williams was there for us.

http://fusion.net/culture/story/hero-paul-tompkins-robin-williams-meant-938627

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I'm watching Hook with tears streaming down my face.

He was the guy that let me know that I didn't need to fear the noises in my head...that I could give them voices. Use them to tell stories.

This is my favorite thing he's ever done...and I try to keep it in mind every day:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LsIh5z7oYyY?rel=0&start=2205&end=2379&autoplay=0

I hope that embeds with the right time and all that.

I'm watching Hook right now. The bit where Hook
    tried to commit suicide
    Was a bit on the nose. Different actor, but I definitely cracked a bit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Forgive me if this has already been posted...
    Wiki wrote:
    Reeve went through inner anguish in the ICU, particularly when he was alone during the night. His approaching operation to reattach his skull to his spine (June 1995) "was frightening to contemplate. ... I already knew that I had only a fifty-fifty chance of surviving the surgery. ... Then, at an especially bleak moment, the door flew open and in hurried a squat fellow with a blue scrub hat and a yellow surgical gown and glasses, speaking in a Russian accent." The man announced that he was a proctologist and was going to perform a rectal exam on Reeve. It was Robin Williams, reprising his character from the film Nine Months. Reeve wrote: "For the first time since the accident, I laughed. My old friend had helped me know that somehow I was going to be okay."[61]

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I need to re-watch Insomnia now.

edit: Awakenings is a damn fine movie where he gets to play opposite DeNiro. Watch it if you haven't.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I just had a thought:

Also Rufio.

I enjoyed these stories from Dante Basco (Rufio)

He posts to Youtube a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf_xvIXQBWw

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

I was really dealing fine, sad, but in a detached way.
    Until this tweet. This is the one that got me.

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    O Captain, my Captain!

I'm so broken-hearted... :(

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUfP6IGQD00
    Robin Williams and animation were born for one another, and in "Aladdin" they finally meet. Williams' speed of comic invention has always been too fast for flesh and blood; the way he flashes in and out of characters can be dizzying. In Disney's new animated film "Aladdin," he's liberated at last, playing a genie who has complete freedom over his form - who can instantly be anybody or anything.

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I CAN'T FIND MY ALADDIN DVD

I AM ABOUT TO FREAK OUT

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Welp

Watching this did it

I'm crying now

• Options
    robotbeerobotbee Drop any other moon on his face -Jupiter has so many it won't even careRegistered User regular
    Bless you, Zoe Quinn.

Whom the fly chicks tagged Lenore, nameless here forevermore.