Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

History of RMS Oceanic [chat]

24567101

Posts

  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Gameplay demo:

    I wouldn't call that gameplay, what it was was an interactive teaser trailer.

    Also I love how the first person to finish the teaser and see the reveal was some random british girl with 4 viewers on her twitch stream.

    Granted, it doesn't really give a picture of what the game will be like, but it seems to paint the tone at least.

    Seems a lil cheesey, but I do really appreciate the surrealism.

    If you look back at Kojima's twitter he was mentioned he wanted someone to do Silent Hill with FOX engine because its in small spaces so they could really push the graphics.

    I just wonder who is actually making the game? KojiPro/Kojima himself be all hands on deck for TPP so where is the man power coming from. I hope we find out this week.

    We don't know that Silent Hills is actually in development yet; it's possible that Kojima actually plans to do this one himself once TPP's done.

    That said, if you are a game studio you know to slap Kojima's name on your teaser if he has even the tiniest involvement (similarly with del Torro). I wonder how involved they both are? Because if del Torro is doing all the monster design (which logically, he should be) I am very excited about at least one aspect of the game.

    I wonder if he repurposed inSANE's idea into this pitch?

    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    I guess a couple of guys tweeted mocked up pictures of her dad's suicide to Zelda Williams and then crowed about it afterwards when she deleted her account.

    The sooner ICE that gives brain damage is invented and usefully employed on social media the better.

    EchoJacobkoshknitdanWinkyMsAnthropyInfamyDeferredKagera
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Bogart wrote: »
    I guess a couple of guys tweeted mocked up pictures of her dad's suicide to Zelda Williams and then crowed about it afterwards when she deleted her account.

    The sooner ICE that gives brain damage is invented and usefully employed on social media the better.

    Its hurts me to know that people are like that.

    But it truly bothers me that im not surprised that someone did that.

    bloodyroarxx on
    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
    RMS Oceanic
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Also new Dragon Age trailer has
    Hawke (female/mage)
    Did we know this character was in it?

    bloodyroarxx on
    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    I was able to find this quote from Whedon about Alien:Resurrection

    ]
    “I wrote two characters for ‘Alien: Resurrection’ and their arc was that you would not know what way they were going to go,” Whedon explained. “One of them turned out to be insane — and what do they do? They call Brad Dourif. So there is no plot twist. Brad is a very good actor but he has been pigeonholed into these roles. Then they case J.E. Freeman as a thug — and his character was also supposed to be a mystery. So there you go again, the mystery is gone. Those are just a couple of examples because there are thousands of them when it comes to ‘Alien: Resurrection.’”

    Joss Whedon has a million stories about how some DUMB SUIT who DIDN'T GET IT went in and RUINED EVERYTHING and while I don't deny Whedon's talent it does make me think that mmmmmmmmmmaybe the common denominator to these stories is in fact Joss Whedon? And maybe there are parts of the job that he was neglecting if he kept getting so casually overruled, or wasn't able to write in such a way that the studio making casting choices like this wouldn't ruin his plans?

    As a counterpoint, when suits did give him full creative control on a big property, he knocked it out of the park and into the next state over.

    Granted, he had basically the best of everything that money could buy at his disposal on top of an amazing group of actors who could probably make the shittiest script in the world at least get a 60% on rotten tomatoes.

    Really, though, it's just a kind of childish attitude to have.

    At the very least, if Age of Ultron sucks he will have absolutely no one to blame but himself.

    (I have a hard time believing that Age of Ultron will suck, though)

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I guess a couple of guys tweeted mocked up pictures of her dad's suicide to Zelda Williams and then crowed about it afterwards when she deleted her account.

    The sooner ICE that gives brain damage is invented and usefully employed on social media the better.

    After a while I'm punching wet chunks into the floor.

    So I stop.

    BogartknitdanZampanov
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Is there a reason that I suddenly can't right click on the forums?

    EDIT: Nvm, fixed it I guess?

    Winky on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit I'm a good person yes it's trueRegistered User regular
    @Echo I has an archeage beta now

    fuck gendered marketing
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Bogart @desc @Thomamelas @MrAnthropy‌ @‌

    In the fashion that has become traditional for me, I think because it helps me focus, I have begun assembling my mood music playlist for 80s Miami Vampire: the Requiem.



    track list for those who cannot youtube:
    Red 7 - Heartbeat (Manhunter Soundtrack)
    Laura Branigan - Self Control
    Hall & Oates - Maneater
    After The Fire - Der Kommissar
    Joe Jackson--Steppin' Out
    Cutting Crew - I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
    Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme
    Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
    Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11
    Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night
    Animotion - Obsession
    Autograph - Turn Up The Radio
    Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes To Midnight
    Judas Priest - Breaking The Law
    Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
    Duran Duran - A View To A Kill
    The Cars - It's Not the Night
    New Order - Elegia
    Miami Sound Machine - Rhythm Is Gonna Get You

    suggestionate me!

    il_570xN.87174780.jpg

    BogartElldrenbloodyroarxxdesc
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    nice Jacob, nice

    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
    Elldren
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Well, logically, Silent Hills should be a thrilling action-adventure in contrast to the original Silent Hill which was slow-paced horror.

    Then Silent Hill: Resurrection will come out and be considered Joss Whedon's greatest disappointment.

    Joss Whedon was involved with Alien Resurrection?
    Yeah he wrote it.
    I had no idea.

    Which version? I remember that it got several redrafts and complete rewrites over its life.

    Wasn't it set on a wooden moon at one point?
    Wooden Moon was Aliens 3, an early draft written by Vincent Ward (best known for directing What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams).

    Who is incidentally my second cousin.

  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Well, logically, Silent Hills should be a thrilling action-adventure in contrast to the original Silent Hill which was slow-paced horror.

    Then Silent Hill: Resurrection will come out and be considered Joss Whedon's greatest disappointment.

    Joss Whedon was involved with Alien Resurrection?
    Yeah he wrote it.
    I had no idea.

    Which version? I remember that it got several redrafts and complete rewrites over its life.

    Wasn't it set on a wooden moon at one point?
    Wooden Moon was Aliens 3, an early draft written by Vincent Ward (best known for directing What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams).

    Who is incidentally my second cousin.

    I see. Anyhow I'd quite like Alien: Wooden Moon to get made so tell your cousin that

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I guess a couple of guys tweeted mocked up pictures of her dad's suicide to Zelda Williams and then crowed about it afterwards when she deleted her account.

    Ok. Well.

    Waking up was obviously a mistake.

    I shall return to bed, and let reality take a mulligan on this attempt at not being a clusterfuck of hopeless bullshit.

    Kalkino
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Archangle wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Well, logically, Silent Hills should be a thrilling action-adventure in contrast to the original Silent Hill which was slow-paced horror.

    Then Silent Hill: Resurrection will come out and be considered Joss Whedon's greatest disappointment.

    Joss Whedon was involved with Alien Resurrection?
    Yeah he wrote it.
    I had no idea.

    Which version? I remember that it got several redrafts and complete rewrites over its life.

    Wasn't it set on a wooden moon at one point?
    Wooden Moon was Aliens 3, an early draft written by Vincent Ward (best known for directing What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams).

    Who is incidentally my second cousin.

    I see. Anyhow I'd quite like Alien: Wooden Moon to get made so tell your cousin that
    Oh he'd love to. I've been seconded to a bunch of international projects for the last few years, so I haven't seen him in ages. Last time I talked to him he was setting up to have another round of talks with Ridley Scott and Fox.

    Then Prometheus got released...

  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    Propaganda: Duel
    Classix Nouveaux: Is It a Dream
    Ultravox: Vienna
    Bryan Ferry: Slave to Love
    Phil Collins: In The Air Tonight
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood: The Power Of Love
    The Stranglers: Strange Little Girl

    Jacobkosh
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm always struck by two desires when I read of such asshattery: To punish the offenders, and to comfort the victims.

    Most of the time the latter impulse is stronger, but occasionally not.

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Winky wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    I was able to find this quote from Whedon about Alien:Resurrection

    ]
    “I wrote two characters for ‘Alien: Resurrection’ and their arc was that you would not know what way they were going to go,” Whedon explained. “One of them turned out to be insane — and what do they do? They call Brad Dourif. So there is no plot twist. Brad is a very good actor but he has been pigeonholed into these roles. Then they case J.E. Freeman as a thug — and his character was also supposed to be a mystery. So there you go again, the mystery is gone. Those are just a couple of examples because there are thousands of them when it comes to ‘Alien: Resurrection.’”

    Joss Whedon has a million stories about how some DUMB SUIT who DIDN'T GET IT went in and RUINED EVERYTHING and while I don't deny Whedon's talent it does make me think that mmmmmmmmmmaybe the common denominator to these stories is in fact Joss Whedon? And maybe there are parts of the job that he was neglecting if he kept getting so casually overruled, or wasn't able to write in such a way that the studio making casting choices like this wouldn't ruin his plans?

    As a counterpoint, when suits did give him full creative control on a big property, he knocked it out of the park and into the next state over.

    Well, like I said, I don't think he doesn't have talent - so it follows that if given a reasonable degree of control over something that he'd be able to do good work with it.

    The problem is that the production side of the business fucks things up as a matter of course; that's what happens when the fragile perfection of a script meets the tough challenges of the real world, and other artists have long since figured out ways to work around it. Half the great films in history were made on the back of someone - a director or producer who really believed in the project - lying and cheating and cajoling and sometimes physically threatening people to get their way.

    Whedon just seems (or seemed; maybe things have changed for him post-Avengers and Cabin in the Woods) to be perpetually surprised by the idea that directors and businessmen may want to do their own thing to a movie, in this weirdly naive way, and I find something oddly irksome about his habit of turning to his online fans for support and validation every time it turns out he walked into the lion's den with a steak tied to his dick.

    BogartElldrenApothe0sisiTunesIsEvil
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I'm always struck by two desires when I read of such asshattery: To punish the offenders, and to comfort the victims.

    Most of the time the latter impulse is stronger, but occasionally not.

    Hey man, Alien 3 wasn't that bad.

  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    My opinion of Joss Whedon is that this is a pony who needs to learn another trick.

    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
    Es-annon NEVA 4GET
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    My opinion of Joss Whedon is that this is a pony who needs to learn another trick.

    He has a comfort zone, and in that comfort zone he works pretty well. I dunno if he has yet developed coping skills for outside that zone.

  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    whoops @Elldren obviously you were meant to be included in that omnibus post but hitting enter apparently deletes @s sometimes

  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    @RMS Oceanic‌ isn't it a bit soon for your memoires?

    Also, hello. Standing on desks seems to be trending today.

    Kalkino
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Propaganda: Duel
    Classix Nouveaux: Is It a Dream
    Ultravox: Vienna
    Bryan Ferry: Slave to Love
    Phil Collins: In The Air Tonight
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood: The Power Of Love
    The Stranglers: Strange Little Girl

    Is that the playlist for the lab I work in?

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Propaganda: Duel
    Classix Nouveaux: Is It a Dream
    Ultravox: Vienna
    Bryan Ferry: Slave to Love
    Phil Collins: In The Air Tonight
    Frankie Goes To Hollywood: The Power Of Love
    The Stranglers: Strange Little Girl

    yesssssssssss thank you

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I should get LoveFilm to give me Popeye and watch it.

  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    And yes, I do mean the entire LoveFilm organization should watch Popeye. Why wouldn't they be watching it?

    JacobkoshHaphazard
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    My opinion of Joss Whedon is that this is a pony who needs to learn another trick.

    No, I want him to keep doing his trick.

    I have other ponies I can go to if I want different tricks. Let this pony just keep doing that one, he's good at it.

  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Specialised ponies is where it's at.

    KalkinoPLA
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Fighting The Rising Odds Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't feel like one trick pony really describes Whedon. Zack Snyder feels like a one trick pony, and his trick is to make everything look great, while neglecting basically every other aspect of his movies. Whedon has a style (snark married to emotional depth and sudden characters deaths and maybe a song), but it's not a trick.

    MsAnthropy
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I don't feel like one trick pony really describes Whedon. Zack Snyder feels like a one trick pony, and his trick is to make everything look great, while neglecting basically every other aspect of his movies. Whedon has a style (snark married to emotional depth and sudden characters deaths and maybe a song), but it's not a trick.

    Hence why I call it a comfort zone. Feels more varied.

  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    @y2jake215‌

    You like RiffRaff right? GiantBombcast this week has a great email about him.

    tl;dr it isn't an act and he is pretty much a maniac.

    Actual quote by him backstage at one of his shows
    I don't fuck wit bitches that ain't wearing Versace
    Then proceeded to throw them ("bitches" not wearing Versace) out of his backstage area.

    Also it was based on this segment

    bloodyroarxx on
    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • simonwolfsimonwolf so enough of this terror we deserve to know lightRegistered User regular
    XkT3PDj.jpg

    WinkyMojo_Jojo
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    simonwolf wrote: »
    XkT3PDj.jpg

    Amazing, also if true amazing x2.

    You in Japan now right? Your there for Comiket correct?

    bloodyroarxx on
    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
    Elldren
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    This is the worst headache. It doesn't feel like regular ones. It's two hours of this sensation as if someone's placed their thumb through my nose, inside my skull, and is pressing on my brain.

    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    Rear Admiral Choco
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I don't feel like one trick pony really describes Whedon. Zack Snyder feels like a one trick pony, and his trick is to make everything look great, while neglecting basically every other aspect of his movies. Whedon has a style (snark married to emotional depth and sudden characters deaths and maybe a song), but it's not a trick.

    I would say that there's a lot of great directors who are such that all you need is to hear that their name is attached to a project and you have a pretty good idea of what you're in for. That's not necessarily a bad thing; when I want to watch a Wes Anderson film it's because I want to watch a Wes Anderson film. I don't expect him to surprise me outside the confines of his thing, and I'm cool with that: I just want to get my twee on.

    Kid Presentable
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    XkT3PDj.jpg

    Dude. Don't just repost things from my personal blog here. It violates trust.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    KalkinoRear Admiral Choco
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    When choosing someone to have sex with at a con, I find it vitally important that our pairing could possibly be canon.

    Mojo_JojoApothe0sis
  • simonwolfsimonwolf so enough of this terror we deserve to know lightRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    XkT3PDj.jpg

    Amazing, also if true amazing x2.

    You in Japan now right? Your there for Comiket correct?

    I am currently in Japan, yeah, heading to Tokyo tomorrow for Comiketting on Friday onwards.

  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    XkT3PDj.jpg

    Amazing, also if true amazing x2.

    You in Japan now right? Your there for Comiket correct?

    I am currently in Japan, yeah, heading to Tokyo tomorrow for Comiketting on Friday onwards.

    Have fun! I want to go to Comiket but man I don't have enough room or money for all those doujins.

    Also ya know the shame factor is huuuuuuuuuuge.

    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo But do you really believe him? Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    When choosing someone to have sex with at a con, I find it vitally important that our pairing could possibly be canon.

    I honestly would assume that this is true of all cosplayers

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.