As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bloodborne: Use WangHunt as MP Password to Hate the Co-Op System

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Since it is an alpha I doubt it was another player.

However, what @Emperor_Z‌ said is what it seems like the multiplayer mechanics may be.

Like instead of seeing the phantom of another player briefly you are witnessing the actual player in the same world as yours. Whether you kill them or JOLLY COOPERATION with them is up to you.

At least according to various speculations based on what has been mentioned by the Devs. Nothing concrete yet.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I like the axe.

No swords on sight, right?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Doesn't look too terribly interesting; It's clear the game is way early in development and I don't think they should showcase footage already since it reflects that.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Doesn't look too terribly interesting; It's clear the game is way early in development and I don't think they should showcase footage already since it reflects that.

uh

I think what they've shown looks fucking fantastic and I am super pumped

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

uh

Did you play Dark Souls 2?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

uh

Yes? I don't know what that has to do with anything.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

uh

Yes? I don't know what that has to do with anything.

The fat enemies he fought were recycled/remodelled fat enemies from the Lost Bastille in DS 2. Of the other enemies, little was shown. The whole footage looked "alright" but nothing more, nothing that blows me away, especially not when compared to DS 2 on the PC. Aside from that we saw very little of anything new. Some glimpse at pseudo-stealth mechanics maybe, and "weapon switching" on the fly in the form of transforming.

It's more of the same, which isn't bad. Like I said - it's early in development and they aren'T ready to show the big additions/final visual look of the game yet. That's why I said it's probably too early for footage.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was expecting something a bit more new. It just looks like Dark Souls 3.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    Yeah, I was expecting something a bit more new. It just looks like Dark Souls 3.

Hah! While I am somewhat excited for this my main spot of dissapointment is that it doesn't look like Dark Souls 3.

If I ain't hiding behind a shield spending 10 minutes sussing out the capabilities of an enemy I've never seen before then it ain't no Souls game. :P

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    No, just show me footage. It's not my surprise birthday-party.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    There isn't a single moment in Dark Souls 2 that looks anywhere near as good as this. Not on PC, not to me. Then again, I prefer the dark Demon's Souls aesthetic, even if Dark Souls is my #1 game last-gen.

• Options
    MrMiscreantMrMiscreant Mean motor scooter Hiding in the back seat of your carRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    That ladder sound effect needs to stay! Any sound effects they want to carry over like that are fine by me.

I thought the same thing about the ladder sound effect. I had weird nostalgia for it, even though I'm still playing DS 2.

Otherwise, the camera still looks jank as fuck, but if there's a whip hiding in the game somewhere, it's going to pretty much be the 3D Castlevania I always wanted, so pumped, on balance.

LIVE: CitizenZero
    PSN: CitizenXero
    NNID: TheFennec
  • Options
    There isn't a single moment in Dark Souls 2 that looks anywhere near as good as this. Not on PC, not to me. Then again, I prefer the dark Demon's Souls aesthetic, even if Dark Souls is my #1 game last-gen.

I didn't say it looked exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qj2BkF7jh4

But be it beta footage or retail PC footage, there's not much difference.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

It's prettier, yeah, but every single thing about the gameplay looks like an easier DS2. The animations are identical.

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Biggest different from DS's is the total lack of shield. They've kept parrying in, but that is massively going to change how people play the game.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Well, this gem of a trailer was a total birthday party for me. Love the souls games, Bloodborne will be right down my alley.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Biggest different from DS's is the total lack of shield. They've kept parrying in, but that is massively going to change how people play the game.

Not really. I've never used a shield in Dark Souls 2 after my first character and barely used them in Demon's or DS1.

Parrying all day, every day.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Y'all be trippin', this looks fucking amazing and I want it.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Bubby wrote: »

It's prettier, yeah, but every single thing about the gameplay looks like an easier DS2. The animations are identical.

Where do you get anything about the difficulty?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular

The game's slated to release within the next six months, so I wouldn't expect too much in the way of dramatic changes

• Options
    I hope From can add or improve the anti-aliasing before release.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    we already did this 'its not going to be hard enough' dance with Dark Souls 2. And then it was.

The souls series varies in quality from "the best thing ever" to "solidly excellent" so I think From has earned the benefit of the doubt.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Shit, Dark Souls 2 was only a question mark because Hidetaka Miyazaki wasn't involved. He's directing this, so I have full faith in it.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    we already did this 'its not going to be hard enough' dance with Dark Souls 2. And then it was.

The souls series varies in quality from "the best thing ever" to "solidly excellent" so I think From has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Actually a lot of people agree that Dark Souls 2 is a lot easier than Dark Souls 1. You've got sooooo much survivability by just putting a couple points into ADP and VIG, and or investing in some armor/shields (though the latter isn't even nessecary). That and the fact that they reintroduced unlimited healing items.

And speaking of quality, that's not really true either:

Spoilered for video thumbnail size and, well, DS 2 story spoilers

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Actually a lot of people agree that Dark Souls 2 is a lot easier than Dark Souls 1. You've got sooooo much survivability by just putting a couple points into ADP and VIG, and or investing in some armor/shields (though the latter isn't even nessecary). That and the fact that they reintroduced unlimited healing items.

I haven't even played DS2 yet, but watching videos I could tell there was less of a sense of danger overall to that game, like you were playing a more gothic and slower-paced legend of zelda. I.e. watching the Game Grumps play of DS2, despite Ross' panicky stupidity I still felt like the only danger they were ever in was from themselves.

• Options
    I've always felt that was sort of true of all the Souls games.

Despite the series' infamy for being difficult I feel like a good 80% of it stems purely from the player. Aside from a few instances of ":whistle:womp womp:whistle: you're dead because of a trap you'd have no way of known was even there" I think most players are their own worst enemies.

And even with the trap thing, if your online there'll be plenty of warning. :P

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not fond of Dark Souls 2's enemy strike's homing in/tracking on the player either, but a lot of rest applies to the others, too. Boss variety has been on a sharp decline the whole time; Demon's Souls runs circles around the other two games there, so I guess that's a fair-ish complaint, though you could argue too that the designers of DS2 felt that more traditional humanoid fights better fit their design goals, and limited cheap deaths from just having no idea what the thing in front of you is going to do without dying a few times to find out.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular

I agree that Dark Souls 2 has a lot of reasonable critiques that can be leveled against it. And I agree with a lot of them. I think in many ways It's the weakest game in the souls series.

However I also think it's pretty ridiculous to claim that Dark Souls 2 is anything less than excellent.

Shit you could just release the grave of the saints and the door of pharros alone and it would be an excellent game.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Fuck me sideways. Just enough (right) changes to warrant the games existence.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited September 2014

EDIT: February 5th.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    People who think Dark Souls 2 is easier than Dark Souls 1 just played Dark Souls 1 first. It's just how it is. I played Dark Souls 2 as my first Souls game, had some difficulty and the learning curve that comes with learning to not be greedy, be patient, etc.

Then I played Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls and found both of them remarkably easy. It's only because I already knew what I was doing in a Souls game though.

I think Bloodborne looks freaking great, because to me the gothic horror setting reminds me of Tower of Latria, and IMO that's the most atmospheric environment in all 3 of the current Souls games.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Yeah I got an email that made me ridiculously excited for no guarantee.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    I don't mind tracking overheads. By nature, vertical attacks against mostly horizontal movements are super avoidable if they aren't even trying to follow.
    Another way to do it is making windup and striking faster, or more frequent. Much more frequent doesn't work well if most counter-offensives require staying in place for a while. Sudden Iai-overheads might be amusing to dodge, though.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Looks like you're not always limited to a gun in the left hand, there was a big two-handed hammer that split into a smaller hammer and a sword, no gun at all. Hopefully there's enough variety to make up for the lack of free form dual wielding.

• Options
    *Snicker-snack*