As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life is Strange: Episode Five Oct. 20

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    As an official old person (in internet years) who is also Dutch, I am perfectly aware that I don't have the foggiest what American teens sound like these days because there's an entire ocean between them and my lawn.

So the use of slang doesn't bother me because I know teens use slang I'm going to be unfamiliar with and I can't tell what bits of it are made up or used wrong.

The only thing that tripped me up was "bid'ness". Like, I get business is a long and complicated word, but how did abbreviating it cause that d to appear?

Bidness lies somewhere between Southern and "urban" slang in origin... though it's often used uh... "ironically."

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Less than 2 days now, can't wait. :D

The only thing that tripped me up was "bid'ness". Like, I get business is a long and complicated word, but how did abbreviating it cause that d to appear?

I'm from Boston and I've never heard anyone say "bid'ness" before. I thought it was funny. :P

builderr0r on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    When in doubt, refer to the Snooptionary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mahVKeBkjs0

• Options
    CantelopeCantelope Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    As an official old person (in internet years) who is also Dutch, I am perfectly aware that I don't have the foggiest what American teens sound like these days because there's an entire ocean between them and my lawn.

So the use of slang doesn't bother me because I know teens use slang I'm going to be unfamiliar with and I can't tell what bits of it are made up or used wrong.

I live in California, which relatively speaking is near Oregon. I am under 30, studied business in college, and have a degree in it's administration with an accounting specialization. I also have an interest in where words come from, and I can tell you I have no clue where bid'ness came from, but I've heard it said well before this game was released.

Think of it as a cute/weird use of language that is not necessarily logical. A lot of teen abbreviations these days are used more for comedic value than actually making speech quicker. In the US, actually understanding basic grammar is so rare, that most slang relies on context. It's pretty common to meet teens, or even HS graduates that don't know the difference between know and no. Seeing as you are Dutch and English is certainly a second language to you, paradoxically you probably have a better grasp on it than most Americans in this region (which have a better grasp on it than many other Americans in other regions).

Cantelope on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Coincidentally, I was just clicking on the "Random" button on the PA comic archive and came across this...from 2000: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2000/03/15/monkey-bidness

Seemed a bit related to the current topic of "bidness"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I feel like I should make some kind of Metal Gear pun, but I can't come up with anything better than Metal Gear Strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49-GtSdhm1g

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    It's out on the PAL PSN. Downloading now.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    curse yooooouuuuu!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Hella meta commentary in this episode.
    CD902C04C797308850235E3009D90AAF12AFEBDE
    Devs are counter-trolling the trolls pretty hard too.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    30 seconds in and RIP young
    plant
    , we hardly knew ye.

Real spoilers:
    Well that ending was fucking insane. Incredible, really. When they pulled the big flashback, I was hoping it wasn't just going to be the typical "pre-destined" fake out bullshit but nope, they went all in. They could go anywhere at this point. Crazy. Awesome.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Holy cow.

I changed everything.

...I have this weird feeling that I did a bad thing.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Did you get the squirrel optional photo, Shadowhope? It's infuriating me trying to get it.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Did you get the squirrel optional photo, Shadowhope? It's infuriating me trying to get it.

No, I'll go back and get it at some point. There's an option in the game to go back specifically for photos, without changing decisions.

And yikes, that ending.

I think... I think that I've made a horrible mistake.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    Wow, looking at choices people made:
    0% of people helped Warren with his exam. (I didn't)
    0% of people warned the homeless woman. (I did)

• Options
    So.

That happened.
    Not sure how I feel about hitting the reset button halfway through the season.

Also, Max is killing the world.

And yet Chloe ending up chained to a wheelchair feels worse.

• Options
    So.

That happened.
    Not sure how I feel about hitting the reset button halfway through the season.

Also, Max is killing the world.

And yet Chloe ending up chained to a wheelchair feels worse.
    Given that changing the present to this extent would basically change everything and invalidate choices Max has made, I think that the status quo is going to reset back to normal before too long. My guess is that the time line jump is to give Max the chance to meet Rachel Amber.

• Options
    That 6-8 week wait between episodes is starting to feel longer and longer and why isn't Episode 4 here yet?

• Options
    In brutal foreshadowing that I saw mentioned on Reddit:
    Chloe parks in the handicapped space in episode one and wants to take from the handicapped fund in episode three.

• Options
    Thoughts keep dripping back in one by one.

Like how currently 6% of the player base consists of bad people.
    C'mon. Who on Earth could possibly think getting Frank's dog to dash out onto a busy street was a good idea? When the ground is already littered with dead animals, you're gonna add more to the pile?

• Options
    Thoughts keep dripping back in one by one.

Like how currently 6% of the player base consists of bad people.
    C'mon. Who on Earth could possibly think getting Frank's dog to dash out onto a busy street was a good idea? When the ground is already littered with dead animals, you're gonna add more to the pile?

At some point, I'm going to do an EvilMax run. I will be part of the 6% on that run.

Up to this point I've been the angel on Chloe's shoulder, trying to support her without enabling her. My EvilMax run will do just the opposite.

• Options
    I'm already doing a somewhat morally compromised Max run.
    In Episode 2, I pulled the trigger on Frank and now in Episode 3, I let Chloe take the money. My reasoning in this case being that while the handicapped fund could probably survive missing this donation, Chloe is in deep shit with a violent drug dealer unless she manages to repay him before the end of the week.

However, since I kept hiding in the closet in Episode 1, Joyce still thinks I'm an angel and since I saved Kate, the entire school thinks I'm a hero.

So the moral of the story is: if you get up to something dubious, make sure you don't get caught.

• Options
    Er, yeah. My MoralMax pulled the trigger, and covered for Chloe with the weed.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

I did manage to get that one my first runthrough, but missed most of the others.

So choices/thoughts so far (I'm only halfway through this episode):
    RIP plant.. and then I see that I now have a rabbit. Poor thing, I hope it ends up better.
    Being nice to most of the people, even if they aren't.
    Changed Warren's score.
    Really liked the solution to the principal's door.
    Let Chloe take the money.
    Changed the guest list for the Vortex Club's party.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    In Episode 2, I pulled the trigger on Frank and now in Episode 3, I let Chloe take the money. My reasoning in this case being that while the handicapped fund could probably survive missing this donation, Chloe is in deep shit with a violent drug dealer unless she manages to repay him before the end of the week.

However, since I kept hiding in the closet in Episode 1, Joyce still thinks I'm an angel and since I saved Kate, the entire school thinks I'm a hero.

So the moral of the story is: if you get up to something dubious, make sure you don't get caught.
    I let her take the money because I suspected "handicapped fund" of being a euphemism, since Nathan's doctored file mentions his work for said fund.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    so this is the first episode I played without any gameplay footage already in my head and it was hella awesome!

although I have to admit that the first hurdle had me stomped for the longest time. So long between episodes kind of makes me forget Max has the awesomest power.

choices!
    Planty! NooooOOOOooooOOOoo!

Yes, Chloe. you get the money. I am too smitten. I'll win it back with Blackjack and hookers and rewind powers!

Warren I helped you out the first time, A- it is buddy. Also get a clue.

Principal's door was awesome and it clicked again for me how insane that power actually is.

Save all the dags!

Save Chloe's dad!
    I now have to go back and kill Chloe's dad, right? Ugh!

Kiss all the Chloes!

truth be told the number of times I might or might not have yelled
    Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!

at my monitor is very unbecoming a dude of my age. Erm, might have been. As in that did not happen at all.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular

I let her take the money because I suspected "handicapped fund" of being a euphemism, since Nathan's doctored file mentions his work for said fund.

This is how I took it and why I took it.
    I also realized the foreshadowing after the ending.

I suspect it will go back before the end of the next episode.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

This is how I took it and why I took it.
    I also realized the foreshadowing after the ending.

I suspect it will go back before the end of the next episode.
    And having gone back and checked, Nathan's file says homeless fund.

Fuck.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Kinda bummed I missed the statue thing (the first photo) so now I have to go back and grab it.

Got the others up to the point that I'm at... and I just have to say that it truly feels like my intelligence and wisdom scores just dropped by 10 points.
    Walking around using your phone as a flashlight... why?. Anyone can see the light from all of the uncovered windows wtf. The ambient from the screen alone would be sufficient light to move about...

Does it not occur to Max that blowing up a the lock on the door will leave a blatant amount of evidence that someone broke into the principal's office not to mention make loud noises that would get police/etc involved... I can't help but wonder... wth?

And I guess no matter what I'm going to be something of an asshole to Warren. I can't wait until he tries to use that as leverage.

eta: yea I got through this part. it's just... Max is really dumb in this portion. The desk lamp was even worse. :|

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I knew that the gun would be in the RV, but I accidentally showed Chloe the account book without finishing my search.

I thought about going back to retrieve it, but maybe it's better if Frank has it...

I also liked that the plant
    dies if you watered it in episode 1 and 2. (Who kept it alive and how?) It immediately put into mind that I could be doing every "right" and still end up with unexpected results. It also made me pause before feeding Kate's pet.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Oh, the most important action in this episode:
    Did you guys use Chloe's toothbrush?

Max saying they shared toothbrushes all the times as kids made me like... bleeeegh.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Oh, the most important action in this episode:
    Did you guys use Chloe's toothbrush?

Max saying they shared toothbrushes all the times as kids made me like... bleeeegh.

I totally did.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Finished Episode 3.

Choices:
    I took the money, kissed and sided with Chloe, didn't lead the dog into traffic, and Chloe has the gun since I tried shooting Frank in Episode 2.

Also I guess I missed Alyssa in both 2 and 3, cause I didn't even know you could help her.

Also my plant is dead, nooooooooo.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    I was wondering if Alyssa was going to get something thrown at her head this episode. Then the camera basically points at her the moment you leave the diner and I was like "Ah, there we go."

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    That episode went in a surprising direction.
    I expect we'll find Rachel Amber sometime next episode and she'll have time powers too.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Finished episode 3, probably missed some things
    At the big moment, I was going "No..no... bad idea, bad idea... Ah screw that: TIMELORD VICTORIOUS!!"

and then for a bit: "Mmmm... that didn't go too bad."

... and then came the ending. "Aw shit."

*puts dollar in swearjar*.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I expect we'll find Rachel Amber sometime next episode and she'll have time powers too.

wild, totally baseless speculation ahead:
    Rachel went back in time and got stuck there
    Rachel is the homeless lady behind the diner!

• Options
    madparrot wrote: »
    Arteen wrote: »

wild, totally baseless speculation ahead:
    Rachel went back in time and got stuck there
    Rachel is the homeless lady behind the diner!

now I have seen some wild theories but this one is new for me.

• Options
    I... kinda like it though?

not buying, just browsing the merchandise.

• Options

I think that the homeless woman really is a thousand years old like she say, and is some kind of spirit or some such.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    When I was playing episode 3 yesterday my friend who's watched me play all the episodes so far said:
    I bet the homeless lady is Max from the future

I think he might not be wrong.

Other things:
    I didn't connect the animals dying to Max's powers until I saw the whales. Since most of the dead animals I've seen were the birds I was thinking maybe David is schizo like Nathan and was poisoning animals or some-such.

Also, Nathan is probably schizophrenic, as that's what the drugs we found in his... whatever were for. It meshes with a lot of his other behavior too.

I wasn't really sold on the Chloe/Max angle until this episode. I know what close friendships can be like (especially ones in other countries like France where it's super common for same sex friendships to be much more intimate than here in the states). I wrote off whatever I was seeing between them as just that. I decided that the Chloe/Max theory had merit as soon as I saw Chloe eyeing Max when she was stripping before the swim in the pool. After the Kiss I knew it was a thing and I started pushing for it in the dialogue choices.

As far as morality goes, I've been keeping Max strongly on the light side, except for trying to shoot frank. Which I don't even think is a dark side choice; I don't think it's wrong to protect your loved ones. I didn't let Chloe steal the money, but not because it was 'bad' but because I figured that much money going missing is something that would be noticed quickly and I don't want either of them getting caught.