As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life is Strange: Episode Five Oct. 20

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Episode 3
    While I'm sure we'll end up resetting the state of the world yet again, I wonder if the world we return to will be the same as the one we left?

As it is, going back it time resets the outcome of Kate's suicide attempt, Chloe's death, the plant, and everything else we've done so far.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I posted a theory on the Steam forums about the end of episode three:
    Baiscally, Max didn't change the world. She restored it to its original state.

I need to go back and check the dates of Chloe's birthday and the Vortex Club party that Rachel disapeared from. With that said, I think that the timeline originally had Chloe's dad alive, Rachel and Chloe being friends, and then Chloe gets in an accident just after her birthday. Rachel gains the ability to reverse time, and Chloe's dad's death is the result of Rachel's timeline meddling.

Despite the timeline switch, Chloe still knows on some level that something has been changed. That's why she keeps parking in handicapped spots and where all of the foreshadowing about her being in a chair comes from.

When Max saves William, it undoes whatever it was that Rachel did to the timeline, and things snap back to the original timeline.

In a different theory,
    Max is frequently associated with a doe. David hunts deer.

They seem to be foreshadowing David shooting Max even more strongly than they did Chloe becoming handicapped.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I need to go back and check the dates of Chloe's birthday and the Vortex Club party that Rachel disapeared from. With that said, I think that the timeline originally had Chloe's dad alive, Rachel and Chloe being friends, and then Chloe gets in an accident just after her birthday. Rachel gains the ability to reverse time, and Chloe's dad's death is the result of Rachel's timeline meddling.

Despite the timeline switch, Chloe still knows on some level that something has been changed. That's why she keeps parking in handicapped spots and where all of the foreshadowing about her being in a chair comes from.

When Max saves William, it undoes whatever it was that Rachel did to the timeline, and things snap back to the original timeline.

Interesting theory, although
    If we're back to how things are supposed to be, what's up with the animals still dying?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

In a different theory,

They seem to be foreshadowing David shooting Max even more strongly than they did Chloe becoming handicapped.
    What would make Rachel go back that far though? She'd have no reason too.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »

In a different theory,

What would make Rachel go back that far though? She'd have no reason too.
    She has no reason that Max knows of. We still don't know much about Rachel Amber. Or the circumstances of William's car accident.

It could even be as simple as "Chloe's family always takes the bus. Maybe if they weren't always taking the bus, Chloe wouldn't have been quite so excited to get a truck on her birthday, and wouldn't have crashed it. I'll go back to before they started taking the bus and try to get them to drive." She travels back, she uses her time mojo to get Joyce to ask William for a drive, William drives out to her and gets in the accident.

I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm just saying that that scenario is an example of the sort of thing that could be pulled.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    What if it was just a dream?

eta: I say this because the episode 4 trailer has her in her old clothes. Given the outfit she was wearing at the end of episode 3, which implies an entirely different lifestyle up to that point (or a large hand waving as to why she has those clothes too: ITS HER HALLOWEEN OUTFIT :|) its unlikely that version of herself would have the clothes. It's either that or the first part of episode 4 is undoing what was done in episode 3 or something.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Could Rachel even go back that far though? When Max does it she uses a photograph that she is in, and she couldn't leave the bounds of the memory that the photograph captured. I don't think she would be able to just jump back in time to a place and time that she wasn't in. Chloe and Rachel didn't know each other until after Chloe's dad died.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    What if rachel amber is max, but some alternate timeline max?

They both are apparently the same size

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Hmm... I can't think of anything that has an alternate timeline version of another person of the same age look like two distinct individuals. There's wanted posters, and pictures that show a Rachel Amber and unless Max has the powers to bestow selective amnesia/mind control/twilight zone scary kid "I'm Rachel Amber but I said I wasn't so everybody complies or else" powers, that's unlikely.

• Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

there are some hints about it the eye color change from the franks picture though this could be just a mistake. the change in Maxine of the beta timeline. she is cool enough for the vortex as well as willing to get high. The move toward being like amber is generally closer. It is something to note that everyone that sees you has a double take when placed in amber's clothes. You could interpret amber's push to get chole to get out of arcadia as a desperate attempt to save her.

Now a big question.
    If you had a choice between alpha(episode 1-2) timeline and beta (end of episode 3), which would you choose?
    Based on my choices I have to say beta timeline. kate would be alive and everyone would be in a better place except chole. The positive is she does have the support structure to help her out but damn that does suck.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Okay, so I'm late to the party to episode 3 and all...but I'm making my way through episode 2 and I have never agonized so long and hard about
    answering my damn cell. I mean, if they had let me hear what Kate was saying (like, tone of voice, pace of talking, etc...) that might have helped make my decision feel more justified...but now I'm just wondering if not answering that call was enough to tip her over an already crumbling edge

Seriously, not even TWD got me so worked up over an in-game decision

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular

In a different theory,

The problem I have with the first theory is
    that Max would be a part of the Vortex Club and spoiled rich people clique. It would suck to have that Max as the true version, given how we've come to know Max in the first three episodes.

It's an interesting thought, but it would be harsh as a plot twist.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So, after having beaten episode 3, I feel like
    the plot is following The Butterfly Effect timelines pretty closely so far. First one is shitty reality with everyone's lives being a little messed up. You go back in time to try and fix it, and it seems like everything went well at first, you are now friends with all the preppy kids, but their is a dark surprise/twist. It doesn't match exactly, but it was similar enough for me to laugh and make the connection.

Edit: Added spoiler tags, thanks @amnesiasoft

never die on
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Okay, so I'm late to the party to episode 3 and all...but I'm making my way through episode 2 and I have never agonized so long and hard about
    answering my damn cell. I mean, if they had let me hear what Kate was saying (like, tone of voice, pace of talking, etc...) that might have helped make my decision feel more justified...but now I'm just wondering if not answering that call was enough to tip her over an already crumbling edge

Spoilers for episode two, including the end of episode two:

As long as you've been erasing Kate's slate and the URLs and told Kate to go to the police and have generally otherwise been fully supportive, you don't need to answer the call to save her. She'll be angry, but you can still talk her down off of the roof.

• Options

Really? I thought this was easily one of the worst moments of the series. The choice felt extremely forced and Chloe acted incredibly unreasonably.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    the plot is following The Butterfly Effect timelines pretty closely so far. First one is shitty reality with everyone's lives being a little messed up. You go back in time to try and fix it, and it seems like everything went well at first, you are now friends with all the preppy kids, but their is a dark surprise/twist. It doesn't match exactly, but it was similar enough for me to laugh and make the connection.
    I think you meant to use a spoiler tag there.
    I was also noticing some parallels to that. The headaches and nosebleeds from messing with time. Now we're going back using photographs. I won't be surprised if, to fix everything, Max goes back in time and tells Chloe to never talk to her again or she'll kill her and her whole family (or whatever it was he said at the end of that movie).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was also noticing some parallels to that. The headaches and nosebleeds from messing with time. Now we're going back using photographs. I won't be surprised if, to fix everything, Max goes back in time and tells Chloe to never talk to her again or she'll kill her and her whole family (or whatever it was he said at the end of that movie).

oh man...
    Imagine how many people would rewind and reply that scene.

I think I spent an hour playing Beer and Beans in the diner.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

oh man...
    Imagine how many people would rewind and reply that scene.

I think I spent an hour playing Beer and Beans in the diner.

Ahaha yeah. I re-did the Beer scene at least three times.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I have this creeping suspicion that the very final scene of Episode 5 will be locked unless you took a specific series of choices in all the episodes prior (though it will be made clear specifically what circumstances have to be reverted, if not how). Just to give you that "Oh, hell yes we're actually doing this" feeling as Max raises her hand to perform THE ULTIMATE TIMEFUCKERY.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I'm not going to go back and try it myself, but:
    Did anyone simply try not taking Chloe's father's keys? Just letting things play out without changing anything? Does the game let you do that?

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Did anyone simply try not taking Chloe's father's keys? Just letting things play out without changing anything? Does the game let you do that?
    You get the same result as if you get caught by the guards: the timeline gets a red X at the end of it, time stops, and the only thing you can do is rewind.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Ah, I was thinking that might be the case. Consequences are too far reaching for them to let you explore both, I guess.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Really? I thought this was easily one of the worst moments of the series. The choice felt extremely forced and Chloe acted incredibly unreasonably.

There have been other decisions throughout the first two episodes that felt just as forced. By that I mean that all dire decisions could be nullified if there were one or two more choices (in the case of the cell call, something as simple as the option to walk and talk at the same time). But, in the confines of the options presented in the context of the game, it was a difficult choice (especially since, from a character-knowledge context, I've been leaving Chloe out to dry repeatedly).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Something to keep in mind about that scene: while a player might be going "oh no, bad idea, bad idea," for Max there's only one option.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I thought answering the phone was a no-brainer.

Really Chloe? We can't put your bullshit on hold for three minutes while I answer a call from a friend who's been visibly distressed all week? Fuck off.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    To be fair, Chloe seems to have some serious abandonment issues.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    She's got abandonment issues and she's a teenager. Teenagers can be seriously selfish.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    She's got abandonment issues and she's a teenager. Teenagers can be hella selfish.

• Options

The homeless woman:
    She's either a massive red herring, or there is something seriously up with her. Her talk of being a thousand years old, having seen Arcadia Bay from the start, etc, I don't think that she was lying. I think that her present physical state is a reflection of the dying state of the town. She's like, the spirit of the town.

One small little thing that I noticed in replaying the episode is that she thanked Max by name for the warning. While I suppose she might have heard Max's name elsewhere, I don't think that Max ever gives her name, and I don't think that Max ever provides enough information about herself for the old woman to connect the person standing in front of her to the person in the newspaper.

• Options
    edited May 2015

There have been other decisions throughout the first two episodes that felt just as forced. By that I mean that all dire decisions could be nullified if there were one or two more choices (in the case of the cell call, something as simple as the option to walk and talk at the same time). But, in the confines of the options presented in the context of the game, it was a difficult choice (especially since, from a character-knowledge context, I've been leaving Chloe out to dry repeatedly).

I don't think you need an additional option to make this one nullified. It's a phone call and your friend is acting like a crazy person for flipping out on you for it. It's not like it was a highly inappropriate time, like a funeral, or a romantic dinner. You're just shooting the shit at a diner are about to go off to screw around. If anyone acted like that in real life I would seriously consider if they're even worth being around, history or not. Especially in a game that highly encourages you to pick both paths and rewind before making finalizing a choice. Answer the call of a depressed friend, or make the clingy friend slight less annoyed. Even divorced of who's on the other end of the line it's an easy choice. I would answer a telemarketer before I gave into someone throwing a tantrum like that.

Corpekata on
  • Options

I don't think you need an additional option to make this one nullified. It's a phone call and your friend is acting like a crazy person for flipping out on you for it. It's not like it was a highly inappropriate time, like a funeral, or a romantic dinner. You're just shooting the shit at a diner are about to go off to screw around. If anyone acted like that in real life I would seriously consider if they're even worth being around, history or not. Especially in a game that highly encourages you to pick both paths and rewind before making finalizing a choice. Answer the call of a depressed friend, or make the clingy friend slight less annoyed. Even divorced of who's on the other end of the line it's an easy choice. I would answer a telemarketer before I gave into someone throwing a tantrum like that.

Except that Chloe had been getting ragged on, dumped on, let down, beaten, abandoned, and is someone who is nearly constantly being told that she's a fuck-up at damn near every turn. So yeah...maybe she has some justification in flipping out on me for keeping that shit-dealing trend alive (when I'm already on a kind of probationary period for up and disappearing on her for five years) and why, in the end, I opted to not answer the call.
    Not that it mattered all that much in the end: Even with telling Kate to hold off on going to the police and not answering that call, talking her down was still fully doable.

But seriously? No option to walk and talk? I mean...we're walking to a truck. I would have thought that multitasking a phone call and walking (maybe opening a for) should have been an option...

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Finished episode 2, starting episode 3. Thoughts up to now (Ep 2 spoilers):
    I played it over a period of a number of weeks, the first half of ep 2 just after it came out, the last half was only yesterday. This clearly wasn't ideal, I'd forgotten half my decisions and also other stuff about Kate. Fortunately I'd done nearly everything I needed to to keep her alive.

Unfortunately I couldn't remember enough about her to save her. I got to the Mother/Father/Sisters/Brothers choice and I KNEW I'd read a really nice letter from one of her parents to her. And I couldn't remember who it was from. I picked "Mother" and then -splat-.

Looking at the percentages at the end I'm curious how many people DID save her first time, and how many people couldn't live with the decision so went back to play through the episode again. Reading comments online it seems an awful lot of people did that.

She's staying dead in my game though, that's just how it goes.

I'm loving the game, the only things I don't really like are:
    • Sometimes it's not immediately obvious what each choice actually means. I don't know Max's intent when I pick it.
    • On occasion I've rewound, picked another dialogue option and save for maybe one single line, the rest of the conversation with the individual is completely identical, that just seems a little lazy.

Oh and I don't like the lip sync but that's been complained about a lot, and acknowledged by the devs.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    I
    saved her the first time, was very proud of myself. I'm playing and finishing each episode in a single session as they come out, and sticking with what happens, episodic-television style. :)

• Options
    I
    saved her the first time, was very proud of myself. I'm playing and finishing each episode in a single session as they come out, and sticking with what happens, episodic-television style. :)

Completely unrelated but are you still based in this area? Could grab a drink and discuss reversing time :biggrin:

• Options
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I

Completely unrelated but are you still based in this area? Could grab a drink and discuss reversing time :biggrin:
    @Mr_Grinch Sent you a PM. :):+1:

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Now kiss.

• Options
    Now kiss.

"This action will have consequences."

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Now kiss.

"This action will have consequences."

ƸӜƷ Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ ƸӜƷ Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ ƸӜƷ Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ ƸӜƷ Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ ƸӜƷ Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Oh my god. Ohhhhhh myyyyyyyy goddddddd, you guys.

After not thinking about Life is Strange for a week, I woke up with this realization in my head and I've been bouncing in my office chair at work all day waiting to say it. Maybe someone already connected these dots upstream but I can't be arsed to check.

Okay, so. At the end of Episode 3, we learned that...
    Max has the power to jump into the timeframe depicted by a photograph that she's in. Possibly this means that all of those "irrelevant bonus photos" we've been taking could be critical checkpoints. But even if they aren't, there's one that really stands out to me as plot-crucial.

What was the first action command in the game? Almost, if not the very very first thing you did?

Make Max take a selfie.

There's a temporal checkpoint at the very beginning of the game. Shortly before your very first, critical choice to save Chloe. Just a short enough period of time to, say, go back and reverse that decision.

I kind of wonder what might happen if Max hadn't saved Chloe. Could Nathan posisbly have avoided being implicated in murdering her? If Nathan hadn't been around, would Kate have been invited to that Vortex Club party, drugged, and shamed into committing suicide (or trying to)?

Completely off-the-wall theory: Life is Strange is Max's own introspective exploration of what could happen if she had really gained time-rewinding powers and saved Chloe after witnessing Nathan murdering her. The story ends with her rationalization that "life is strange", and that some suffering is basically inevitable, which coincides with the final choice to reverse your original decision to save Chloe.

But, who knows?

Gahhhh, I never thought I'd be this hooked on this plot.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Oh my god. Ohhhhhh myyyyyyyy goddddddd, you guys.

After not thinking about Life is Strange for a week, I woke up with this realization in my head and I've been bouncing in my office chair at work all day waiting to say it. Maybe someone already connected these dots upstream but I can't be arsed to check.

Okay, so. At the end of Episode 3, we learned that...
    Max has the power to jump into the timeframe depicted by a photograph that she's in. Possibly this means that all of those "irrelevant bonus photos" we've been taking could be critical checkpoints. But even if they aren't, there's one that really stands out to me as plot-crucial.

What was the first action command in the game? Almost, if not the very very first thing you did?

Make Max take a selfie.

There's a temporal checkpoint at the very beginning of the game. Shortly before your very first, critical choice to save Chloe. Just a short enough period of time to, say, go back and reverse that decision.

I kind of wonder what might happen if Max hadn't saved Chloe. Could Nathan posisbly have avoided being implicated in murdering her? If Nathan hadn't been around, would Kate have been invited to that Vortex Club party, drugged, and shamed into committing suicide (or trying to)?

Completely off-the-wall theory: Life is Strange is Max's own introspective exploration of what could happen if she had really gained time-rewinding powers and saved Chloe after witnessing Nathan murdering her. The story ends with her rationalization that "life is strange", and that some suffering is basically inevitable, which coincides with the final choice to reverse your original decision to save Chloe.

But, who knows?

Gahhhh, I never thought I'd be this hooked on this plot.

So what you're saying is...
    That I have to choose between saving my plant and saving Chloe?