As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Odin Sphere? Enlighten me!

FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
So a few minutes ago I was browsing gametrailers and came upon some trailers for Odin Sphere. Its a game published by. Altus It seems like some kind of sidescrolling action rpg with a really beautiful and awesome art style.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=4622

Other than that I know nothing of the game :(

Edit: Let's add a few screenshots!

big14.jpg

big06.jpg

big08.jpg

PSN: PatParadize
Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
Steam Friend code: 45386507
Fireflash on

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    its fucking sweet looking. i dunno how much of an rpg element it has, but it's pretty much a 2d sidescroller. Oh and its fucking sweet looking.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It is fucking sweet looking. The RPG element comes from leveling up as you absorb stuff that appears when you kill enemies: Either you can level up your weapon directly, or you can use them to make food that'll increase your max HP.
    Its a game published by Atlus.
    Here, let me fix that up for you. :P

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is sex. Release date? For my semen?

KKprofit on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Comes out in May, I think.

Yet when I see a newly announced game come out this quick, all I can think about is why a certain other title is taking until July. :P

Still, it's gorgeous looking, and developed by the Princess Crown team, so it should tide me over nicely until that comes out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yet when I see a newly announced game come out this quick, all I can think about is why a certain other title is taking until July. :P

It's so we can get FES shut up don't ruin my dreams.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Do they just get straight-up Hentai artists to do the characters for JRPGs now or what?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For a minute I thought this was a game for Nintendo Ds, my heart is broken :(. Anyway, the art looks fantastic.

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do they just get straight-up Hentai artists to do the characters for JRPGs now or what?

...what?

But yes, looks fantastic. I still regret that I never got to play Princess Crown when I owned a Saturn (same team on this).

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I think they got a hentai artist to do the Growlancer games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

From what I've been told, Growlanser's one of the few 'clean' works he's ever done. He has gorgeous art, I just wish he didn't waste his talent like he does.

Sure doesn't hurt his fanbase though.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

From what I've been told, Growlanser's one of the few 'clean' works he's ever done. He has gorgeous art, I just wish he didn't waste his talent like he does.

Sure doesn't hurt his fanbase though.

Speaking of Growlanser (and how much I hated it), I really wish the Langrisser series would make a comeback.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Why'd you hate Growlanser? I know almost no one played it, but I've never heard anyone say they hated it.

Unless the whole multiple endings thing drove you crazy.

And I wouldn't mind seeing a Langrisser get localized, least of all having a new one made...
    (No, we're not counting Warsong)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I think it's kinda disappointing games like this are coming exclusively to PS2, considering we now have three newer consoles they could cater to. Backwards compatibility blah blah blah, yeah I get it. I just wonder how long it will be until these types of games stop using the previous generation's userbase and adopt the new generation populations.

EDIT: Great Odin’s Raven!

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    There's people still don't own the new consoles, and may not for a very long time, so we couldn't be happier the PS2 is still getting love.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As long as they play on a next-gen console, what's the big deal?
    If nothing else, we might see prices reduced. It's bound to be easier and faster to develop for PS2 or GameCube when you've had a few years practice at it.

Besides, it's not like the games look like ass or anything.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    As long as they play on a next-gen console, what's the big deal?
    If nothing else, we might see prices reduced. It's bound to be easier and faster to develop for PS2 or GameCube when you've had a few years practice at it.

Besides, it's not like the games look like ass or anything.

I only mention it because I've retired my last generation consoles to the closet and it'd be nice if they'd port it over to the new systems rather than have to watch the new systems emulate the game instead. I'm being picky.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    I think it's kinda disappointing games like this are coming exclusively to PS2, considering we now have three newer consoles they could cater to. Backwards compatibility blah blah blah, yeah I get it. I just wonder how long it will be until these types of games stop using the previous generation's userbase and adopt the new generation populations.

EDIT: Great Odin’s Raven!

Keep in mind, this likely isn't some brand new game. Atlus is bringing it over here. They aren't doing a port...they are simply localizing it for the US. I don't know how I could find out, but I am willing to be that this came out many months ago in Japan. So this game was probably in production for the PS2 before the Next Gen was out.

Not to mention, the PS2 is still selling like hotcakes, so why NOT make games for it?

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Actually, it is pretty new. Atlus Japan is hyping it on their website too.

I have a feeling they're developing this for simultaneous release, kind of like Trauma Center Second Opinion.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I stand corrected....but that doesn't change the part about the PS2 being a huge selling system :)

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why'd you hate Growlanser? I know almost no one played it, but I've never heard anyone say they hated it.

Unless the whole multiple endings thing drove you crazy.

And I wouldn't mind seeing a Langrisser get localized, least of all having a new one made...
    (No, we're not counting Warsong)

I dunno, it was ugly, the story didn't grab me, and the pseudo-RTS gameplay just didn't work for me (and it didn't help that it was so slow).

I remember playing a half-translated Der Langrisser years ago and loving it, only to discover that other than Warsong, none of the other games had ever come to the US, and likely never would :(

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I've never played Langrisser; I just know the Growlanser team made it.

Part of my obsession with Growlanser stems from me wanting to get Working Designs' final game as much love as I can. It's not the greatest game in the world, but I think they went out with a suitable bang.

And when you replay it and know exactly what to do and how to do it, the battle system gets a lot of fun. Mostly when you get the right gems and can decimate even the hardest bosses.

The first run was a lot more frustrating than my second.

My only real problem is that the typical endings in both II and III are such downers.
    In II, you have to kill your best friend. In III, you die. Sure, both have various outcomes depending on how you play, but for the normal path, that's just how it goes. Especially in III.

I can't whether V's an improvement or not, but I bet they skipped IV for localization because it's the same style as II & III. V's a lot more 3D, and doesn't use sprites.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png