As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gigantic: It’s BACK and not remotely available!

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    So is there anything actually to this game or is it just standard moba that already has the mobility power creep? I saw someone playing it on twitch and they were playing "not genji" and just being a ninja running around 100-0ing people while also being able to stealth away and never die. I like the visual style, but from what I saw it's just more of the fast stealth burst characters that plague every game they are in.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    One game isn't a good sample size for balance.

The game is kinda weird because it has no minions. It's kinda like an MMO pvp arena with objectives? And like, way less abilities.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I'm assuming you're referring to Tripp, who fits in the assassin role? I would say that the combat in this game largely falls into a "rock/paper/scissors" type arrangement.

Where the effectiveness of a character is contingent upon their range role. Assuming equal skill and whatnot, Assassins will kill Shooters and Casters up close. It's their job. If they were playing Tripp and not going after the shooters, they were doing it wrong. Tripp can sneak up to them, Tyto can throw the... cat whatever thing at them.

That said, Shooters and Casters will wreck an assassin at range.

edit: an HK-206 can sacrifice his range on the cannon to get the hand cannon which dazes and would allow them to properly fight in close/mid combat. But if you're specced over then you'll eat it under and vice versa.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    and then you have heroes like Margrave, Zandora, and Aisling ( eh~ 50/50 with her) that will wreck assassin types like Tripp, Tyto and Wei.

Margrave drew me to the game at the outset because he is a literal tank and if you let him be he would absolutely hurt your team or objective.
    You have to deal with a Margrave, and he's so big he can be the meat shield your teammate needs to get away from a shooter.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I played a few games as Margrave because I had fortune cards with him (I miss getting fortune cards from the early mastery medals already; don't need the credits!) and it was weird.

My experience with him improved greatly once I started spamming leap, but I'm not sure how to play him as a tank. Even with all that HP.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    tanking mainly means you put your self between your teammate and the person shooting them. You have the HP to sit there and your teammate shoots through you.
    also at guardian wounds, depending on the number of shooters, you sit there and demon chain reflect their shots back at them. kinda hard with becketts and charnoks dropping ultimate nukes, but against mojos, imanis and hk-206s, you can shut them down from getting a wound, and its worth a death trade if they have to knock your guardian down again in order to get the wound they should have gotten before.

its probably a bad thing, but I've been enjoying playing a support aisling.
    get her spectral blade and give allies +15% atk power.
    get cador his power atk and using it every 3s.
    get skirmisher so your stamina never really drains in combat
    get the interrupt cripple and weaken on the cry (I think that's the two. it really slows them down and they can't fight for a bit)
    get the HP stacks when you return cador to the blade
    (I can't remember the clash trait I pick, its either cry more or the one that lets me gain focus super fast)

if you have two melee teammates, the spectral blade is great because one swing and you do damage and increase your team's expected damage output by 30% total.
    even turning around and swinging a +15% atk on a shooter is nice every so often because people are used to bailing when their health is at x amount, but the additional damage means they waited to long and they are dead.
    at creature fights, its great to because they get damage boosts as well.

kinda weak fighting by myself, but with a teammate, we'd be more than a match for two possibly three others. and emergency spot healing for 500hp for me and 200hp for a teammate helps with disengagements

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Gah, i read through the first few pages, googled the game, downloaded it and started playing on arc, but now from what i'm reading i probably want the win10 store version for a (probably) bigger player pool and xbone crossplay, why they gotta make this so hard/dumb? :( I am not looking forward to doing the overly long, boring pointless tutorial again

i would think there would be a larger population on arc, because the windows 10 store isn't actually a storefront it's just an error message generator

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Gah, i read through the first few pages, googled the game, downloaded it and started playing on arc, but now from what i'm reading i probably want the win10 store version for a (probably) bigger player pool and xbone crossplay, why they gotta make this so hard/dumb? :( I am not looking forward to doing the overly long, boring pointless tutorial again

i would think there would be a larger population on arc, because the windows 10 store isn't actually a storefront it's just an error message generator

Arc wins my vote and got me back playing specifically because I didn't have to log into a god damned microsoft account on my computer to get it working like I did the Windows 10/Xbox version. Steam will be the best though.

• Options
    tanking mainly means you put your self between your teammate and the person shooting them. You have the HP to sit there and your teammate shoots through you.
    also at guardian wounds, depending on the number of shooters, you sit there and demon chain reflect their shots back at them. kinda hard with becketts and charnoks dropping ultimate nukes, but against mojos, imanis and hk-206s, you can shut them down from getting a wound, and its worth a death trade if they have to knock your guardian down again in order to get the wound they should have gotten before.

its probably a bad thing, but I've been enjoying playing a support aisling.
    get her spectral blade and give allies +15% atk power.
    get cador his power atk and using it every 3s.
    get skirmisher so your stamina never really drains in combat
    get the interrupt cripple and weaken on the cry (I think that's the two. it really slows them down and they can't fight for a bit)
    get the HP stacks when you return cador to the blade
    (I can't remember the clash trait I pick, its either cry more or the one that lets me gain focus super fast)

if you have two melee teammates, the spectral blade is great because one swing and you do damage and increase your team's expected damage output by 30% total.
    even turning around and swinging a +15% atk on a shooter is nice every so often because people are used to bailing when their health is at x amount, but the additional damage means they waited to long and they are dead.
    at creature fights, its great to because they get damage boosts as well.

kinda weak fighting by myself, but with a teammate, we'd be more than a match for two possibly three others. and emergency spot healing for 500hp for me and 200hp for a teammate helps with disengagements

With Margrave, defending the guardian wasn't much of an issue. It's just... not really feeling playing him as a tank. LEAP LEAP LEAP LEAP LEAP.

As for Aisling, I run support with her all the time. Not really sure why that's a bad thing.

• Options
    haha... I just got out of a match with a dude that's in the top 50 players in the game. Freaking account level was 104.

I don't know what that says about the population or what. but jeez. that's a ton of Gigantic.

• Options
    Good: more people understanding you don't have to rush the guardian when there's an autowound and should maybe go after creatures or whatever.

Bad: people not understanding that you cannot win a match with an autowound so maybe after the umteenth time they kill the 4 of us and the guardian has like NO HP left perhaps you should maybe stop camping and get close enough to do the 5 points of chip damage to kill the guardian to maybe not lose the match. But I guess that's too much learning for a dude that only has 4 hours of total playtime on their account but ffs. :(

• Options
    edited July 2017
    This is my experience with other people playing games in general. How can you play something and not do research or learn the ins and outs of it? Especially when its a pvp game and winning is more than just kills.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    One other thing I see people doing that drives me nuts: If you have an auto wound or just otherwise aren't going for it, and are able to attack a creature uncontested, don't kill it until the guardian recovers. So much power wasted that way.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I got paired off against donuts in a game and killed him and my team got the first wound and started feeling corky, then it all fell apart from there. HK-207 is not great without team support, but I did a shot ton of damage which was good since I had a challenge card for it.

• Options
    Yea, if you leave HK alone, he will do some serious work, but yes, he needs teammates to keep the pressure off of him.

He's a solid character, but ive almost fallen asleep playing him a few times... hk isnt really my playstyle

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I got this game free by buying SteelSeries Arctis 7 off of them directly.

At first I was irate because I could have gone across the street and had them immediately, but this looks excellent. I made out like a bandit. I'll just have to not have a mic for Overwatch for a week.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »

At first I was irate because I could have gone across the street and had them immediately, but this looks excellent. I made out like a bandit. I'll just have to not have a mic for Overwatch for a week.

err... this game is free?

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Cantido wrote: »

err... this game is free?

Pricey PC gaming hardware can often be found bundled with a game.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    no as in literally, this game is free

he's not confused about someone getting it for free, he's confused about why it got bundled with something :P

that said i would hope it's a bundle with the founder's pack and all its unlocks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    no as in literally, this game is free

he's not confused about someone getting it for free, he's confused about why it got bundled with something :P

that said i would hope it's a bundle with the founder's pack and all its unlocks

Oh, ok. Sorry. I thought you had to pay for the install key for Gigantic.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    lol... I just got put up on a team that had the 27th top ranked guy on it.

I was like "hm, this guy has an Eternal weapon on his HK-206."

The Eternal weapons require you to get to rank 10 mastery for a character. His account level is 121.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    NOTE

If you buy the founder's pack for Gigantic before 4PM PST today (I think) or you manage to get a code for the founder's pack from the mass giveaways they've been having to promo the game (the tears over the giveaways have been sweet. But I think that's also why they're giving us founders this stuff too, idk).

You get the following:
    • All Future Heroes for life
    • 1,200 Rubies​ – Please note this is exclusive to this one-time upgrade for Founder’s Pack owners, and not part of the standard Ultimate Pack.
    • 10 Fortune Card Draws
    • 10 Win Prestige Boost
    • Lord Knossos’ Warlord of the West skin
    • Beckett’s Cloudracer skin
    • 1 Starter Pack Friend Code – Arrives around July 21st. (Arc and Steam only get this code)

It's 30 bucks for the Founder's pack.

1,200 rubies is roughly 12 bucks of in-game currency, 10 Card draws is 100 rubies, 10 win prestige boost is 225, and skins are around ~500 rubies ea. It's a very good deal.

(Source)

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Two additional things: looks like almost all the (uncommon) skins can now be bought with crowns!

If you can't get in on the Xbox or Windows versions, you have to manually download the game again. The updated version seems to be up and at the very least the new guy is selectable as a character and ownable at this point.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    hm, i had intended to buy that founders pack but i hadn't been really keeping track of the game. lol, oh well. don't really need another moba in my life.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    hm, i had intended to buy that founders pack but i hadn't been really keeping track of the game. lol, oh well. don't really need another moba in my life.

fwiw the "all heroes" thing looks like it's part of the new Ultimate Pack as well

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    It is part of that pack. you just wouldn't get the bonus 1200 rubies.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Strippin, JP, Crendor playing if you want to see it in action:

• Options
    edited July 2017
    My team just worked together to turn a match where we were outnumbered into a victory through clock/power gauge management.

So sexy watching the full team collapse for the rush to wipe when the 70/60 power tic went 90/80 on the final wound, their sweet charging Knossos pushing hard to force a kill. <3

Such delicious strategy. So what if the match took 33 minutes to complete, rofl...

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Nice. Wins are Wins.

I've noticed that as well with power tic management. if its close like 80/80, I'll dive on the power generating point to force the mob to fight me and it will tick a push in our favor.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    yeah, if you engage them in combat or use an interrupt on them, they can't pop the power.

just wish (or maybe I just need to look closer) there was somewhere to see when the ticks are about to happen.

Also just got a double ring out kill on Xenobia... that just never gets old. like... they see you fighting directly by a cliff... why do they rush? I got like 5-6 ring outs that match. XD

• Options
    Look at the mini map for the power ticks. you'll see a couple of yellow glowy loading rings on one of yours and the enemy's points. When the rings complete, they are available for pickup and the mobs take a second to pick them up super fast, so make sure to tie them up just before it appears.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    by the time I notice the rings, it's too late, lol.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm still having billing problems actually buying the game from the Xbox store. Trying to get the Ultimate Pack and my Paypal keeps getting knocked back. I suspect it's something to do with the incredibly shitty way it's not included in the Australian version of the Xbox store (in fact, the base version only appears to be available for purchase on Windows 10)

Might try VPN'ing it or something, sigh.

• Options
    hmm... seems odd it's not for sale/available in AUS. they explain why anywhere? are you playing on the One or PC?

This double XP weekend has been pretty neat. broke account level 50 <3

Though that's probably only 25% of the way to 100 or something, heh.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I have no idea. Beta wasn't available either (I managed to land it through Insider Preview shenanigans regardless), but searching for Gigantic in the EN-AU region only reveals availability on PC for the store page.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/store/p/gigantic/9nblggh444sh

• Options
    Weird... if you have the preview version installed I would have thought it'd have just crossed over on its own? Maybe post on their forums to ask about it? You can't be the only Aussie that wants to play it, lol.

• Options
    I mean, I own the game, technically speaking. I can play it, but just trying to buy the actual for-money package is no bueno.

• Options
    I mean, I own the game, technically speaking. I can play it, but just trying to buy the actual for-money package is no bueno.

Yeah, the Gigantic forums don't list any of Oceania region for support on the console, but they do list for the Win 10 version. (Xbox One Regions)

But I don't think that would cause paypal to reject your transaction. Have you been able to buy anything else from the store?

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I honestly didn't really like this at first, it seemed like a much less polished OW, but the more I play, the more I like it, it's weird. Also Charnock ftw, fucking love that guy. Still salty about the split arc/steam windows10/xbone playerbase though

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Yeah, it's weird that they can't get that to happen. I think Arc crossplay at the very least was possible, or at least mentioned before Steam came into play.