As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gigantic: It’s BACK and not remotely available!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Yeah Win10 killed all interest for me

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    https://www.gogigantic.com/en/news/perfect-world-partners-with-gigantic

Looks like Win10 exclusivity may be a thing of the past and I can pay attention to this again

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That’s right; we’re developing a version of the game that will be playable on every 64-bit Windows operating system.
    Is this something they're... proud of? As if developing something for more than Windows 10 is a big deal? And it sounds like it's going to have run through some sort of secondary program to even run on non-Windows 10, which would just be super-dumb.

Hate PR-spin bullshit like this; just own up to the fact that going Windows 10-exclusive was a shitty idea already.

Though I really have to question how much it even matters at this point, now that I've gotten to play the Overwatch beta and that's releasing in just two weeks. I'm already antsy about not being able to play Overwatch more, and Gigantic's release is still undetermined.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Gigantic isn't even remotely similar to Overwatch as a game though. Well outside of First person. Or was it 3rd person, I forget at this point.

This is a pretty big deal though. This was a classic Microsoft take over and abandon scenario and most companies don't recover from that.

Also I don't think its something they are proud of, but its something they need to announce somehow. It is pretty defeatist to straight up admit you fucked up, and even then it was not really their fault. They likely needed funding and Mircrosoft came to the rescue. If you were promised funds for you game but had to make it Win 10 only, that is kind of hard to pass up.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also it means a PS4 release is now possible.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I fully recognize that they're not the same game at all, but by this point, I'd bet you most people that would see anything for Gigantic would wonder who is trying to rip off Overwatch or Battleborn or something.

And if they didn't have the money to make the game, they shouldn't have tried to drum up all that hype a good two years ago when the game was more of a video and tech demo than anything playable. Now they've got two years of nobody being able to play the thing topped of with games like Overwatch coming out (which will look pretty similar, even if it isn't).

And admitting a fuck-up is just being honest, not defeatist. They don't need to go on about how Windows 10 exclusivity was the dumbest thing they possibly could have done, but it's pretty insulting for them to piss on our collective heads and tell us it's raining. "It turned out to not be good for the project or the players" would've been fine, infinitely better than "now we get to try some half-assed approach that shouldn't even be needed, so you should like it!"

Hope they establish that they are definitely making something unique here and get success out of it, but man, they have squandered so much opportunity and now have a pretty serious uphill battle instead.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    All this said, I personally think there still might be a market for Gigantic since I feel like it'll hit that charm and attractive aesthetic and gameplay closer to Overwatch than Battleborn might, since Battleborn plays and looks a little bit like butts

Also, I think Perfect World is kind of a gross, icky company with an uncomfortably thick layer of free-to-play caked on top of almost everything they touch.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    All this said, I personally think there still might be a market for Gigantic since I feel like it'll hit that charm and attractive aesthetic and gameplay closer to Overwatch than Battleborn might, since Battleborn plays and looks a little bit like butts

Also, I think Perfect World is kind of a gross, icky company with an uncomfortably thick layer of free-to-play caked on top of almost everything they touch.

Um... am I missing something? What does Perfect World Entertainment have to do with anything? Battleborn is developed by Gearbox and published by 2K Games, Gigantic is developed by Motiga and published by Microsoft Studios

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Um... am I missing something? What does Perfect World Entertainment have to do with anything? Battleborn is developed by Gearbox and published by 2K Games, Gigantic is developed by Motiga and published by Microsoft Studios
    Beezel wrote: »

Looks like Win10 exclusivity may be a thing of the past and I can pay attention to this again

You should read the reason this thread is up again.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Beezel wrote: »

You should read the reason this thread is up again.

*smacks forehead* ...Sorry, don't mind me.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Apparently beta has just started so I think I'm going to go check that out and see what changed

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Since it still seems to launch correctly, and has all the updated company logos at the start, I'm guessing the old Windows Store version still works?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    All they have to do is maintain a decent level of curation and piggy-back off some servers that don't boot players from the game every 30 seconds, and they'll be a serious competitor to the online class-based action game space that Overwatch currently dominates.

• Options
    cZnw7Sb.png

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HAH

• Options
    I assume some marketing person made them do that

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    seeing as the one who made the original statement no longer works there, I'm going to go with a yeah.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2017
    So the open beta has been out since last month and it's the first time I got play this game without distractions (and with a full crew). It's really fun, so I went ahead and paid for the 'Founders Pack' so I can get all the heroes and don't have to think about grinding currency to unlock them.

I want to start branching out from Xenobia and HK, because together they have 99% of my playtime.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    i certainly need to get back into this game. I haven't played since pax15 >.>;

edit** just a quick look through the initial bit from the founders pack, I *love* that you can outright buy all the heroes for 40$.
    that there is phenomenal. and then they give out 4 heroes in the future too? a much better deal than MWO ever gave us. (y'know... since 40$ was the asking rate of ONE mech variant...)

its basically purchasing a game in full.

I wonder when/if they'll include other guardians.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I had difficulties even finding the game page for this

Is there a link anyone can throw down for me to follow?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    https://www.gogigantic.com/en/

Has the links to the windows 10 and Xbox one pages.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Gigantic is pretty fun, and I don't really do MOBAs. I got the founder's pack early on too. I haven't played it much lately as I don't want to spoil my interest in it before I have to start working on its achievements.

Only gripe is the MM is kind of annoying. It arranges a match, tells the players it's ready and then there's a window of time for all to respond, and if not enough players do it throws everyone back into the queue. While that works in STO's queues, because you can like, do other stuff to progress your characters while you wait, in Gigantic it's just burning up time.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I haven't touched this since before they even had it required to be Win 10. My only question is did they improve the menu UI. It was so lifeless and empty. It felt like a webpage from the early 2000s with good art.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So my brother and I started playing again. Game is still stupidly fun. Matchmaking can be a little hit or miss depending on the time of day, but that's to be expected for a low population game.

And no, it still isn't a fucking MOBA.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So my brother and I started playing again. Game is still stupidly fun. Matchmaking can be a little hit or miss depending on the time of day, but that's to be expected for a low population game.

And no, it still isn't a fucking MOBA.

Do you battle against other players to support or disrupt slowly escalating NPC-based objectives?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I mean the first words on the official page are "A MOBA".

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    There's no lanes, no swarms of NPCs to grind through, no slow progression up to the enemy base (Also no items at all, but HOTS ditched those as well). Name me another MOBA that doesn't have a single one of those features, let alone all of them.

Example - Would you call Arathi Basin in WoW a MOBA if you could spawn an NPC at each point after you took it?

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Gigantic is a MOBA in the same sense that Destiny is an MMORPG:

They are both mostly refreshing variants of a familiar formula.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i got so excited about this MOBA and the beautiful art but apparently it's just a team hero shooter :/

i hate shooters, bleh.

• Options
    So wait did they backtrack on you being able to play this on non Win10 machines?

• Options
    Through some byzantine web of reasoning Win10 and non-Win10 clients won't be able to play against each other. I assumed it's some lingering aspect of the exclusivity deal they had with Microsoft (which was before Win10 even launched).

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I completely missed that the open beta was started. I've downloaded this for the xbone, but I don't think I'll get to play it for several days.

Do we know how long beta runs?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Through some byzantine web of reasoning Win10 and non-Win10 clients won't be able to play against each other. I assumed it's some lingering aspect of the exclusivity deal they had with Microsoft (which was before Win10 even launched).

It's probably the same thing that happened with Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare where the (now third-party) publisher isn't willing to make the two ends meet

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I completely missed that the open beta was started. I've downloaded this for the xbone, but I don't think I'll get to play it for several days.

Do we know how long beta runs?

It's been in Early Access / Open Beta for a while now, I imagine it will be until launch.

• Options
    Silly me missing that. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

• Options
    Is this going to have joined accounts between Win10 and Xbone? Because that would be so amazing if they'd finally do that, and this is the game to do it since it's so Win10/Xbox specific. If I could play on either and have it add to account progression that'd be amazing.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    You have to log in with an Xbox live account so I think it's set up that way. No idea if they are doing cross platform or plan to though; I haven't really followed development news.

m!ttens on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I wouldn't be surprised if you can't play PC vs Xbone, but if you at least share the account unlocks.... all my dicks.

Edit: From their FAQ.

Gigantic is a Play Anywhere title that allows Windows 10 users to fight against Xbox One users on the same battlefield. Users that play through Arc on PC will not be able to play with Windows 10 or Xbox One users.

https://www.gogigantic.com/en/faq

It doesn't say whether accounts are portable across platforms, though.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if you can't play PC vs Xbone, but if you at least share the account unlocks.... all my dicks.

Edit: From their FAQ.

Gigantic is a Play Anywhere title that allows Windows 10 users to fight against Xbox One users on the same battlefield. Users that play through Arc on PC will not be able to play with Windows 10 or Xbox One users.

https://www.gogigantic.com/en/faq

It doesn't say whether accounts are portable across platforms, though.

You log in with your Xbox Account, so I'm like 99% sure they currently port. Not sure what's going to happen with the new Arc client though.

• Options
    It would be odd to feature cross-play and require a user to use separate accounts and progress between the platforms. Live should be Live.