Advice on Comics

CapekCapek Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Artist's Corner
Hi all. I'm not much of an artist, but I started drawing this comic.

Well, sort of a comic. I take the posts people make in political arguments online and illustrate them.

I don't have any kind of art background, but I would really appreciate any criticisms or suggestions on layout, drawing or putting pictures and words together.

Many thanks for any feedback.

Here's a few samples:

6202525_orig.jpg
4504669_orig.jpg
5313084_orig.jpg
8325512_orig.jpg[img][/img]9896070_orig.jpg

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. - Fitzgerald
Capek on

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Did you actually write these? Or are these all quotes taken from Facebook?

• CapekCapek Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Quotes

Capek on
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. - Fitzgerald
  • mri80mri80 Registered User regular
    Capek, the theme of page layout is huge and encompasses composition, unity, harmony, balance, contrasty, emphasis and rhythm amongst others. I would recommend a google search for comic book layout followed by any of those terms to start reading up on the topic. I would also read up a little bit on lettering, to see if you can clean up the nadwritting a little bit to make it easier to read the text. Good luck!

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Capek wrote: »
    Quotes

Legal issues aside, I'm not keen on taking other peoples quotes from Facebook. I would come up with your own scenarios.

What is your goal with these comics? To practice illustration? To make humorous drawings to accompany Facebook posts?

• CapekCapek Registered User regular
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

• sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Is your aim to point out how stupid some of the opinions/comments are? I really like the idea, as far as I'm aware there are no legal issues. Could be wrong of course.
    Page layout could improve as has been said, and getting across what is happening in a succinct manner is difficult for any artist. I'd like to see more though.

• ollyhayesollyhayes Sir UKRegistered User new member
    I think it's a great idea; don't be taken in by the assertion that comics have to be fictional/multi-panel/anything, by the way. It's its own thing, and that's fine. I like your fairly neutral presentation of the quotes, too - all you do is 'illustrate' them (literally and conceptually) and let them speak for themselves, that's good, it's like a fly-on-the-wall scenario.

I'd agree some self-education on composition and flow would go a long way. I'd recommend Scott McCloud's 'Understanding Comics' as essential, and 'Making Comics' as helpful. Also, stick figures are fine and all, but have some ambition! Hope this helps.

hATPAmL.jpg