As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend Healthy, Easy to Cook Meals

DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
Hi guys,

I've lately taken to getting more serious about weight loss and making healthy adjustments in my life, and have successfully cut out sugary sodas, red meats, walking more, trying out a standing desk, and am trying to incorporate more healthy, home cooked meals. I've been trying to focus on staying out of the frozen foods section of the grocery store, with the exception of frozen poultry, but I still have a very long way to go towards being able to regularly cook decent and healthy meals as a part of my normal routine. My current cooking repertoire of chicken fried rice, home made pizzas, and various pastas and casseroles are not going to cut it for weight loss, so I thought I'd ask what kind of easy to make, healthy meals are part of your rotation.

I'm aware that there are about fifteen trillion sites and books dedicated to healthy cooking, but a lot of those resources and recipes seem dedicated toward more elaborate meals that I, being honest with myself, am probably not going to prepare on a regular basis. I don't mind cooking a nice meal here and there, but I'm looking for a more steady, permanent change to my diet that won't lead to me being lazy and throwing a frozen pizza in the over or something when I'm tired or in a rush. So, that said, I'd love to hear some ideas/cooking routines from folks with normal workdays that don't involve much time spent cooking. Affordable pricing is another consideration; I don't need to pinch every single penny but I am also making an effort to put more money aside these days as well.

What healthy stuff do you throw together in such circumstances?

Thanks.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Frozen veggies in the steam packs are actually pretty good these days. They are flash frozen and don't have as much nutrient loss as they used to, just make sure you arent getting ones with any added sauce or something. Keeping these and costco chicken breast have helped us in a pinch, as we can quickly bake chicken and throw some veggies on the side.

The easiest healthy meal I can throw together is chicken, quinoa and a pack of steam veggies. I have a rice cooker, so I can make the quinoa and walk away and get other crap done. When it chimes, I can go in and cut up the chicken and toss it on a grill pan, put the steam pack in the microwave. If you dont include the ricemaker time, this is like a 15minute affair, tops.

I cant speak to how healthy anything else I eat is.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Frozen pizza actually isn't terrible, so long as you're eating reasonable portions of said pizza rather than the whole thing in one sitting.

It's really (mostly) about portion sizes and controlling how much you eat in a day when you want to lose weight; there's no reason, for example, that you should have to cut all pasta out of your diet entirely rather than just having some pasta alongside some rice & vegetables.

I'm throwing up the @spool32‌ signal for actual cooking advice. The man knows his way around the kitchen, and how to get it done lean.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm a fan of pork tenderloin, and sometimes you can get pork on pretty cheap. In particular these Chipotle Pork Tenders are super fast to throw together, and really easy to cook. It's one of the few recipes that I've found has always been very consistent for me.

Even easier than that are eggs. I like to make breakfast sandwiches out of 'em. Just pan scramble an egg for a few minutes, toast a whole wheat english muffin, slap on a bit of cheese and a dab of some preferred sauce, and you're right in that 300 - 400 calorie range, with decent protein. I make these all the time, even for dinner.

• Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestion so far, good stuff!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hey!

I did a thing a while back which you should check out: 5 meals for under $50 total!

That link has a long OP with tons of info for what you'll need to eat cheap and healthy. It also includes 4 recipes, my very very amateur cooking videos, and lots of variations from people attempting to make them.

Also you should bookmark that post (and everyone else feel free) because I swore at PAX East that I'd do the 5th recipe and I'm unemployed right now and really don't have any excuse so I will do a 5th I swear!

Probably chicken quesadillas. :)

spool32 on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Allow me to introduce you to the Souse Vide method of cooking. It's super easy and I can get a costco salmon/pack of chicken/ lean pork loin and cut up into meal sized portions on a Sunday. Either cook that day for weeklong meals or freeze for individual cooking for different days.

It's great for protean...not awesome for veggies. You want to talk veggies? Look into roasting them in the oven whit a little olive oil and whichever seasoning you prefer. You can be reheating your vide meal or cooking in the same time you're roasting some veggies.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Lentils, any type of beans, chickpeas and quinoa are a favorite of mine (all are generally cheap, easy to buy and preserve in large quantities). Typically I will mix one or a combination of the four with any assortment of vegetables (which can be included raw, roasted, or boiled). Sprinkle with olive oil. Acidity can be added using lemon juice while sweetness can be added using vegetables like corn.

I really like chickpeas with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, onions, lemon juice and some olive oil. Beets and quinoa are also good.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Baked potato with hummous on top, plus salad.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Frozen veggies in the steam packs are actually pretty good these days. They are flash frozen and don't have as much nutrient loss as they used to, just make sure you arent getting ones with any added sauce or something. Keeping these and costco chicken breast have helped us in a pinch, as we can quickly bake chicken and throw some veggies on the side.

I've been doing this a lot. Plain broccoli can be spiced up literally by throwing on, say, chili powder or curry powder or lemon pepper or some other herbs or spices. It won't add anything for calories but it will make it more flavorful without much trouble. I like the steam packs because when I get home from a crappy day at work I can just throw them in the microwave and have vegetables for dinner without much in the way of effort.

If you want to try lentils to cut out meat, look for red lentils. They cook much faster.

If you don't mind eating a lot of leftovers of the same thing, you could do what I do also and cook one big batch of something on Sundays and eat those for lunch the next five days. When I make lentils I also make brown rice (I have a rice cooker which I use 1-3 times a week) and eat them together.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I cook all my meals, most of them super lazy. Mainly the trick is 1: Get a system for cooking worked out and 2: cook in bulk. Keep in mind that I follow a cheap ass keto diet, so there's a lot of meat in here and not as many veggies as there should be--thank god for supplements.

My favorite at the moment's slicing up some onions and white mushrooms, tossing them in a lidded skillet with a boneless skinless chicken thigh and just enough butter to keep everything from sticking, and let it cook at a low heat while I go about other things. 10 minutes or so and it's done. Eat it straight, cut the thigh up and toss it all on a healthy tortilla (low-carb or whole wheat, depending on what diet strategy you prefer), whatever.

Or, cook just the thigh that way (don't need the butter, thigh's fat will keep it from sticking at low heat), dice it up, toss it on your tortilla of choice with a squirt of ranch and your lettuce of choice.

Or, like I said, you can cook bulk. Sit down and cook a ton of food once a week, then reheat and eat as needed. Sometimes I cook entire packages of boneless skinless chicken thighs at once (they're like $1.5/lb here, okay?), since I can quickly reheat the meat for whatever--wraps, salads, hot sauce and ranch, etc. I also do a low-carb sausage chili sometimes--spicy sausage, mushrooms, onions, stewed diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, done. If you don't like eating that much red meat or you're worried about the calories from the sausage, make it a chicken or turkey chili instead. If you're not worried about carbs, add your beans of choice.

Sometimes I spot a boston butt or pork loin on sale. Buy it, then get out a knife and cut it into reasonable serving sizes. Cook it as needed--you can toss it in a pan or skillet with a lid, set low heat, go do something else. Or, you can take the whole butt, season it as you like, put it in a pot with a lid, and leave it on low heat until you can push the meat off the bone with a spoon or fork. Reheat the shredded meat for lots of things--hot sauce and ranch, barbecue stuff, toss it in a salad, whatever.

One I haven't done much recently is frozen mixed vegetables, a fillet of whatever fish I can get cheap on top, nuke it, drain it, add a splash of sauce (teriyaki is my pref, watch how much you use), eat--all the fish I like got expensive.

Oh, also to make cooking meat stupid easy and consistent, find a spice mix you like and use it on everything. I put Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning on damn near all my meat. It's pretty universal. You can probably find one or two you like for the same purpose.

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    You should check out How To Cook Everything -- it's one of my favorite cookbooks because most of the recipes are a) relatively uncomplicated and easy to get (and if they're not they offer substitutions) and b) most of them have variations included so you can get together a staple rotation of meals and have easy tweaks available if you get bored. It's been around for a while so you can probably find it at a library or used. There's also a decent app if you have a tablet/phone (but I really like the book for being able to pick it up and open to a random page and find something tasty-looking).

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I'll just copy what I said to RMS:
    A rule of thumb I have for composing a dinner is:

1 protein source
    1 starch (this I tend to be flexible on, sometimes replacing with an additional vegetable)
    1-2 vegetables
    1 fruit
    Side salad

These don't have to be discrete elements, either - a pasta dish can combine the meat, starch, and vegetable parts, for example.

So, for example, I prepared last night:

NY strip, grilled (protein)
    Sautéed mushrooms (vegetable)
    Green beans, lightly seasoned (vegetable)
    Tomato, sliced and seasoned (vegetable)
    Flathead cherries (fruit)
    Side salad w/Italian dressing

By trying to hold to that guideline, I can figure out a balanced dinner relatively easily.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Darlan wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've lately taken to getting more serious about weight loss and making healthy adjustments in my life, and have successfully cut out sugary sodas, red meats, walking more, trying out a standing desk, and am trying to incorporate more healthy, home cooked meals. I've been trying to focus on staying out of the frozen foods section of the grocery store, with the exception of frozen poultry, but I still have a very long way to go towards being able to regularly cook decent and healthy meals as a part of my normal routine. My current cooking repertoire of chicken fried rice, home made pizzas, and various pastas and casseroles are not going to cut it for weight loss, so I thought I'd ask what kind of easy to make, healthy meals are part of your rotation.

I'm aware that there are about fifteen trillion sites and books dedicated to healthy cooking, but a lot of those resources and recipes seem dedicated toward more elaborate meals that I, being honest with myself, am probably not going to prepare on a regular basis. I don't mind cooking a nice meal here and there, but I'm looking for a more steady, permanent change to my diet that won't lead to me being lazy and throwing a frozen pizza in the over or something when I'm tired or in a rush. So, that said, I'd love to hear some ideas/cooking routines from folks with normal workdays that don't involve much time spent cooking. Affordable pricing is another consideration; I don't need to pinch every single penny but I am also making an effort to put more money aside these days as well.

What healthy stuff do you throw together in such circumstances?

Thanks.

Hey dude, we're pretty much in the same situation. Here's a few things that are working pretty well for me:

- Oatmeal (steel cut oats) with honey and blueberries
    - Cottage cheese with honey (surprisingly delicious)
    - Protein shakes when you work out / maybe every other day: protein powder, 2% milk, banana, blueberries, a few cubes of ice
    - Cliff bars (I honestly hate every flavor except Cool Mint Chocolate, which I love) every once in a while instead of a meal
    - Skinny Pop popcorn is the best thing ever
    - Yogurt and granola
    - Frozen whole-wheat ravioli is pretty decent
    - Fresh fruit; bananas, strawberries, raspberries -- good, healthy snacks
    - Chicken; I get it pre-prepared from the grocery store. All I do is oven-heat and eat
    - Omelettes; eggs, onions, peppers, a little hot sauce

I've been staying away from:
    - Bread
    - Beer (I'll have a couple on a Friday night, but don't drink much in general)
    - Starches (not sure why; probably just taste)
    - Cheese :(
    - Sugar / soda / candy / chips / junk food / fast food

Individually, these things don't amount to much (except for not eating cheese... I f-ing love cheese). Together though, they comprise like 85% of my diet for the last month+, and I've noticed a *huge* difference. Hope that helps!

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I am a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy cook. My favorite source of protein is from chuck roast. Coat each side with oil, put in oven, season with salt and pepper after.

It isn't amazing but it's satisfying and extremely easy to make. I'll usually add some veggie in the side.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Made these tonight. Doesn't take more than a tomato, some parmesan, oregano, salt, and pepper. Took maybe 15 minutes to prep and cook, and were very tasty and very healthy. A decent side dish.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    That looks good! Thanks for all of your suggestions, I have a big queue of good looking things to try now. Biked five miles (indoor bike w/high resistance on, not much but I'll work up slowly) and cooked a nice garlic mushroom chicken w/green onions and side salad with all fresh ingredients tonight with fairly small portions, and with a zero sodium/calorie sparkling water to drink. I plan to integrate more vegetarian meals into the routine once I get a better picture of what kinds of vegetables I like cooking with (and in the interest of taking things reasonably slow.)

This is going to be a sizable adjustment for me for sure, but it was definitely past time to make some changes. Thanks again.

Darlan on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    the frozen vegetable packs are a bit bland for me, so I take the next step and cook them into some kind of stew or chili, which is really easy. all you do is:

get a pack of mixed vegetables you like, there should be some in the freezer section. peppers, onions, corn, whatever.
    drop some olive oil in a pan, then dump them in. cook them for like 5 minutes and add some basic spices- cumin, oregeno, etc. I like cumin a lot.
    once those are cooked I put in the liquid part like tomato puree then add in your more flavorful part. I use beans because I like them and they are a good alternative to meat. this is when I add in the hotter spices like chili powder and crushed hot pepper.
    bring it to a boil then let it simmer for like 45 min. sprinkle some cheese on top.
    that's it, all done. shouldn't even cost $5 for everything

Jars on
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I have one meal in my repertoire that you can make a huge pan of, then divide into bowls and keep in the fridge/freezer and reheat at will. It takes some time to make and requires a few things, but you should know how to make at least one semi-complex meal, and one "divide and conquer (your hunger)" meal that isn't chilli.

Get a red onion. Cut it into tiny pieces.
    Get a garlic clove or two, depending on taste. Slice it thin, like in Goodfellas.
    Get a big pan, something pretty deep. Liquids will be added here.
    Take the pan and make fire, like your caveman ancestors.
    Add some olive oil. Throw in the onion, and really cook the shit out of them. Then add garlic. Stir things, always. Don't let them sit and burn.
    Whilst they cook, chunk your protein into roughly one-inch cube sized pieces. (Anything works with this. The original calls for Sausages with the skins removed, but I have used Chicken, Pork Loin and Beef as well. Not tried fish yet. It may even work for tofu.) 1/4 lb per serving up to 1/2 lb is a good guide.
    In go the protein chunks, where you Cook Meat With Fire, Make Ancestors Proud.
    Throw some Paprika all over the place. And in the pan as well. Spices to taste, but don't skimp.
    One handful of rice per serving should end up in there. Yes the pan is largely dry at this point. The heat will blast the rice and they absorb the liquid much better.
    Half a bottle of white wine goes in, and deglazes the pan from the onions, meat and such. The other half mysteriously disappears as you cook. It is, after all, thirsty work.
    The same amount of stock goes in the pan. You can match the stock with the protein, but the good thing is You Don't Have To. Stewing Steak and Chicken Stock in the fridge and they need using up? Chuck them in! I would avoid fish stock only because I haven't tried it yet. But if you want to experiment, hey it's your dinner.
    Two decent sized Bell Peppers, or three small ones. Red, Orange and Yellow work best. There will be Green later. Foreshadowing, see? Slice like a pro. Add to pan.
    By now the pan is pretty full. Lots of liquid sloshing around, bubbling away. Make fire small, so everything is simmering not boiling.
    Take a quick rest, and marvel at the disappearance of the wine.
    Chop half a dozen tomatoes into chunks. Cut a bunch of green onions into small bits.
    Look at the pan. Isn't that great? It's almost food.
    Most of the liquid will be gone now. Add the tomatoes and green onions. Stir nicely.
    Take the time to clean up a little and grab a plate or bowl.
    Make the fire go away now.
    Spoon food onto plate or into bowl.
    Shovel into face hole and marvel at your creation.
    Watch a movie.
    The rest is now cool. Divide into bowls, containers or people who want second helpings. Place in fridge or freezer (bowls/containers only, not people.)

The good thing about this is that it takes just as long to make 4 portions as it does 10, 12 or 18. About half an hour and you could be eating Actual Proper Meals for weeks. Plus if you use a really big pan, you get to make more wine disappear. Everything scales up!

• Options
    edited August 2014
    So, out of curiosity, to what extent does cooking various vegetables in a pan with olive oil, cooking spray, and/or some vegetable oil spread affect the healthiness? I find that I'm enjoying such meals even without needing to add chicken or meat all of the time, with some spices and maybe a dash of sirachi sauce, but am concerned that the oils make such meals not particularly healthy.

Darlan on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    So, out of curiosity, to what extent does cooking various vegetables in a pan with olive oil, cooking spray, and/or some vegetable oil spread? I find that I'm enjoying such meals even without needing to add chicken or meat all of the time, with some spices and maybe a dash of sirachi sauce, but am concerned that the oils make such meals not particularly healthy.

Greasing a pan reasonably isn't going to do anything bad to your food. Just remember that you probably need less than you think--if I want to cook something not-particularly-oily, then I dab a cloth or cotton ball or something with oil then run it over the pan. Doesn't even really look like it has oil in it, but it works.

If you mean a bit more than that, I'n exactly sure what the ratio of oil/butter/etc used to cook something:oil that you end up eating is.

(for the record, I personally only control grease/butter/etc for taste purposes, not health. I drop a big dollop (2-3 tbs) of butter in the pan, toss my mushrooms, chicken, and onions in, cover it, walk away. I drain what I can, but yeah. I like my butter. Hasn't stopped my BP or weight from dropping so far, but then, I'm inching ever closer to a VLCD).

Kamar on
  • Options
    I've just been putting a dollop of oil oil and spraying the pan surface with cooking spray, so that sounds promising, thanks.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    So, out of curiosity, to what extent does cooking various vegetables in a pan with olive oil, cooking spray, and/or some vegetable oil spread affect the healthiness? I find that I'm enjoying such meals even without needing to add chicken or meat all of the time, with some spices and maybe a dash of sirachi sauce, but am concerned that the oils make such meals not particularly healthy.

You do need some fat in your diet, and a spoonful of oil is nothing compared to what the processed food manufacturers hide in their meals. In fact, eating oil with vegetables helps you absorb nutrients. That's why an olive oil vinaigrette actually makes a salad healthier.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Olive oil is good for you in reasonable portions. Vegetable oil and real butter are fine if added in conservative quantities as said above. Tablespoon of veg oil for a 12" skillet is plenty for example. Usually heat until just before smoking then add veggies to pan.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Olive oil is good for you in reasonable portions. Vegetable oil and real butter are fine if added in conservative quantities as said above. Tablespoon of veg oil for a 12" skillet is plenty for example. Usually heat until just before smoking then add veggies to pan.

Olive oil isn't the best for cooking stuff like that. You'll lose all the flavour and be lucky not to scorch it. Go for some cold-pressed rapseseed (canola) oil, which stands up to high heat much better. It incidentally has double the amount of "good" fats that olive oil does, and if you add a smidgen of salt it really does taste like melted butter.