As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GTA 4 NEW Game Informer preview -- choose your own adventure!

123457»

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What were they trying to do that requires a hard drive for more than just saving? Mandatory installation?

Zek on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    caching files, reducing load times.

edit, maybe even massive gamesaves.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    caching files, reducing load times.

edit, maybe even massive gamesaves.

Couldn't they always just make the harddrive mandatory? Is that an option? I assume they may lose out on the bigger 360 owning crowd that way, but it would alleviate their problems. And even if they cut out all the harddrive-less Core owners, I bet this would still sell better on the 360 than the PS3, simply from the install base.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    devolvedevolve Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Blakout wrote: »
    So apparently the 360 is hindering GTA4's progress.
    IGN wrote:
    May 3, 2007 - Lately we've seen several examples of publishers and developers favoring the Xbox 360 over the PlayStation 3. Some developers have complained that the PS3 is difficult to develop for, and top publishers have been making previously Sony-exclusive games available on Microsoft's console, where the install base is much higher. But one high-profile developer is sticking up for the PS3.

An interview with the UK's Official PlayStation Magazine reveals that Rockstar's creative VP Dan Houser believes the 360 is impairing the development of Grand Theft Auto IV. According to the magazine's online partner, Computer and Videogames, Houser says the lack of a guaranteed hard drive and the smaller storage space of the DVD format is limiting the game's progress. In contrast, all PS3s have a built-in hard drive and the console's Blu-Ray format can hold about five times as much content as DVD.

Houser does admit that of the two consoles, "both have enormous challenges," and "both have their own particular pleasures and pains."

"To be honest with you we haven't solved all those riddles yet," Houser explained.

GTAIV is scheduled to ship simultaneously for the 360 and PS3 on October 17.

And apparently this was intentionally manipulated in order to cause drama. It's bad journalism.

He was asked directly if the fact that the HDD isn't present on core systems and that it's only on DVD hinders the development on the 360, and he said "yup."

he did NOT bring this up himself, nor did he elaborate. he didn't go off on a rampage like the article suggested. And directly after, he mentioned that both have enormous challenges.

Here's the original quote:
    During an interview with our partners in crime at Official PlayStation Magazine, Rockstar's creative vice president Dan Houser was asked: "On PS3 you've got a guarantee that every machine is going to have a hard-drive and, with Blu-ray, you've got plenty of storage, whereas on Xbox 360 there's no guarantee of a hard-drive and you're working with the DVD format. Does that create limitations?" To which he replied, "Yep."

So, someone who has a deep interest in the PS3 asks a loaded question in order to get a certain response, and then IGN intentionally twists it even further and pretends that the 360 is holding back development on GTA IV.

devolve on
    detriot.png
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    At least the devs are consistent. Last year some time, perhaps even before a lot of the 'lol Sony'-ing marketing messups started the Rockstar guys said in an interview that they were looking forward to the sheer amount of storage they would have on a Blu Ray. I guess they still feel that way a little.

On another note I'll be disappointed if they have to stunt the game just to make it fit on a DVD9 or work around the gimped 360 having no hard drive.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    The 360 HDD is available after market. Just require it and fuck anyone who doesn't have one.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    The 360 HDD is available after market. Just require it and fuck anyone who doesn't have one.

This was bound to happen anyway.

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Microsoft requires all games to be playable without a hard drive, last I heard.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Zek wrote: »

Microsoft is an asshole.

I wonder what the outcome of a showdown between Rockstar and Microsoft on the matter would be. GTA IV would be the game big enough to force their hand if any game was going to.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I thought some games require it. What about FFXI? Does anyone know?

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    devolve wrote: »
    So, someone who has a deep interest in the PS3 asks a loaded question in order to get a certain response, and then IGN intentionally twists it even further and pretends that the 360 is holding back development on GTA IV.

Doesn't surprise me. Still seems wierd that they'd post that on the 360 page and not on the PS3 page though. LOL IGN?

Blakout on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Microsoft is an asshole.

I wonder what the outcome of a showdown between Rockstar and Microsoft on the matter would be. GTA IV would be the game big enough to force their hand if any game was going to.

I can understand the initial requirement to get the core system out. But seriously I don't know a single person that has a 360 without a HDD. Remove that requirement. GTAIV is a big enough game where people would rush out to buy a HDD if they didnt have one. (lol$100 for 20 gigs). Just think of the N64 RAM expansion pack. Just do it.

solsovly on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really think not having the HDD standard for all models of 360 and therefore allowing developers to make games knowing that they can take advantage of the HDD was a really dumb move on microsoft's behalf. The HDD was one of the big things that made the xbox different from the competition, and it was excellent.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    meh.

it all looks kind of depressing to me.

and I really wonder what'll happen to the humor. That's what I really enjoyed in GTA3 and VC.

we'll see how it pans out though.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I could have sworn that splinter cell double agent required the hard drive.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • Options
    MosXMosX Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bwanie wrote: »
    meh.

it all looks kind of depressing to me.

and I really wonder what'll happen to the humor. That's what I really enjoyed in GTA3 and VC.

we'll see how it pans out though.

They wanted to show more of the realistic side of the game in the teaser. However, there are still plenty of hints to classic GTA humor. They wouldn't be dumb enough to take all of that out and change the entire feel of the series.

MosX on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Eh... if anything, I'd like to see that classic GTA humour toned down a little. A lot of the later stuff wasn't exactly subtle.

"lol that cereal packet has a blatant analogous image for masturbation, we're fucking geniuses"

A bit like that "a taste of things to come" sign. It was "clever" as it is, but having a crashing car remove the "things to" was just... trying too hard. Uh, yeah, I got it at the first pass, the woman is meant to evoke thoughts of oral sex. Blah.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Eh... if anything, I'd like to see that classic GTA humour toned down a little. A lot of the later stuff wasn't exactly subtle.

"lol that cereal packet has a blatant analogous image for masturbation, we're fucking geniuses"

A bit like that "a taste of things to come" sign. It was "clever" as it is, but having a crashing car remove the "things to" was just... trying too hard. Uh, yeah, I got it at the first pass, the woman is meant to evoke thoughts of oral sex. Blah.

It was really horrible in Liberty City Stories.
    'LOL The businessman is a cannibal! Now lets drive that fact in over nearly ever one of his missions!"

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    gleep-glop wrote: »

Doesn't Crackdown also require a hard drive?

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    davidbarry wrote: »

and football manager

LewieP on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They could also do the thing where they don't require the HDD, but if don't have the HDD, the load times will be insane.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

It was really horrible in Liberty City Stories.
    'LOL The businessman is a cannibal! Now lets drive that fact in over nearly ever one of his missions!"

Cannibal? Hmm. I thought he was a Necrophiliac.

Error on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They could also do the thing where they don't require the HDD, but if don't have the HDD, the load times will be insane.

On this note, one of my friends got a portable USB harddrive and managed to get Dark Age of Camelot working on it. The loading times for zones he said were upwards from 40min to about an hour. Silly him for using USB to transfer all that data.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, the fact that you couldn't drive with the d-pad made it pretty much unplayable to me.

D:

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

On this note, one of my friends got a portable USB harddrive and managed to get Dark Age of Camelot working on it. The loading times for zones he said were upwards from 40min to about an hour. Silly him for using USB to transfer all that data.

USB 2.0's transfer rate wouldn't be such a problem, but yeah, 1.1 would be fucking slow.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Microsoft is an asshole.

I agree, It's one of those things that the hard drive should be required

Requiring games to be playable without a hard drive is a huge mistake on Microsofts part.

Lothars on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lothars wrote: »

Microsoft is an asshole.

Requiring games to be playable without a hard drive is a huge mistake on Microsofts part.

I don't have alot of space on my puny 360 hard drive, yo.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Now see, I haven't actually played those games. But I heard they were not all that funny.

But dammit, GTA3 and Vice city were hilarious. I spent hours just listening to the talkshows, the commercials and the jingles. Plus, I really liked the continuity of it all.

I thought it was all pretty clever and well produced.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lothars wrote: »

Microsoft is an asshole.

You guys realise both FFXI and Football Manager require the HDD?

There is no such rule, as evidenced by the few games out there that do require the hard drive.

xbox_hard_disk.gif

Any games that require it have this on the box.

It's not like Rockstar would require the HDD, though. They'd be cutting out core system sales.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    The only thing I don't like the sound of is the "NYC is too big to become the kingpin you're just trying to become a bigger fish".

Yeah it isn't realistic but I don't want realism in my GTA to that level. I want a skyscraper from which I dictate every last millimetre of LC's functioning, such is my overwhelming power.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ZimarooskiZimarooski Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, seriously. I like GTA because it puts me in control, and I can decide to what extent I want to reign.

Iunno. I just want to become the king.

Zimarooski on
    Favicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gifFavicon.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    A thread resurrection is in order! And perhaps a new thread title as well! For a new trailer will be released on the 28th day of this very month!

Exclamations abound!

"Looking For That Special Someone" is the name of the new trailer. Speculation time!

Edit: Stolen from Neogaf, which appears to be stolen from Game Informer

01gta4trailer2bh6.jpg

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm pumped. Hopefully there'll be some combat.

bruin on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I'm pumped. Hopefully there'll be some crotch punching of some hookers.

fix'd

Blake T on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »
    I'm pumped. Hopefully there'll be some crotch punching of some hookers.

fix'd

That works too.

The thread title should be edited ("new trailer coming!") to get people's attention.

bruin on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Okay, someone informed me that there's a new preview of this game coming out. I didn't realize this had become the official thread. :facepalm:

So if someone could kindly post any new relevant info, or make a new thread, it'd be appreciated. Sadly, I don't post around here much anymore, and I can't do an OP for such an important game justice.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    having never seen behind enemy lines before, this came as a surprise to me tonight, sorry if its old.
    enemy4.jpg

resemblance?
    grand-theft-auto-iv-20070524093401744.jpg

and theyre both eastern europian!

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Okay, someone informed me that there's a new preview of this game coming out. I didn't realize this had become the official thread. :facepalm:

So if someone could kindly post any new relevant info, or make a new thread, it'd be appreciated. Sadly, I don't post around here much anymore, and I can't do an OP for such an important game justice.

New trailer on the 28th. That's all we know so far.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    davidbarry wrote: »

Neither of those games require hard drives.

Mister Longbaugh on