As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

YouTube's the next contestant!

19495969798100»

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I really want a JoJo thread.

Maybe someone could make a JoJo fighting game thread and we can go from there?

the mods would watch it like a hawk and lock it the instant more than one post in a row mentioned the anime

If you got mod approval you could probably get a JoJo only thread. I think D&D had a Berserk thread.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    aaaaaaand Crunchyroll has Ippo.

This my friends is how you cartwheel down the anime rabbit hole.

a good anime to watch is Uchouten Kazoku

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Parasyte, JoJo, Fate/Stay Night, Aldnoah Zero and Your Lie in April are all great and let's stop talking about this right now.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    make the jojo thread

become the Dio we need

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I can't stop until everybody has watched Uchouten Kazoku

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    so this is how the thread ends
    not with a bang, but an anime

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Whoa the girl in the middle almost broke the green shirt girl's arm horribly man

This is giving me flashbacks to my days as a gymnastics/tumbling coach. Don't jump back, jump up! Flipping over is the easy part, your body just needs enough airtime and it'll take care of the rest.

Also I just realized they are all holding hands christ that is a bad idea.

my friend used to be an acrobat in cirq and when we go out drinking he gets hammered and does back flips and shit. I get pretty scared today will be the day he lands on his head, but he always nails them.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf0ZiVr9qw

Video of two guys operating matchlock muskets and one guy operating a wheellock musket roughly according to historical manuals. You know, you always hear that the musket supplanted the bow because it was easier to train people to use it, but the idea that it is easy getting people to do all that, while on the battlefield, while holding a burning match, without accidentally blowing themselves up, seems ridiculous.

For the end of the thread I present what is still the best video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPvmIxu-LSA

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

So maybe ludonarrative dissonance has become some sort of boogeyman in games writing (which apparently still exists?) but it seems to be perfectly legit still.

He mentions that you would never say the same thing about films...

but films and games are very different things. I believe that a film cinematographically fighting against its story is a very different thing form gameplay fighting against its story.

The old example of Nathan Drake being a happy go lucky cheerful type after having mowed down hundreds of human beings is a thing that games should probably start to deal with.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited January 2015
    For my money Ultimate Muscle Roller Legend is still the best thing on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2wViKSh_M

Actually, rewatching it again, just gonna say NSFW.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2015
    um

who is holding a burning match, in this scenario?

edit: ohh.. matchlock, duh

I only ever used a flint-lock.

Which seems like the better solution here

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited January 2015
    Artreus wrote: »
    um

who is holding a burning match, in this scenario?

The two people with matchlocks.

Edit: Flintlocks are definitely better! But matchlocks were around for a good couple hundred years before them. Wheellocks, which the guy in the back is using in that video, are better than matchlocks, but were more mechanically complex so you couldn't really outfit a whole army with them.

Inquisitor on
    READ MY EDIT INQUISITOR

NOW READ MINE

Well, the point of the dude in charge calling out all the steps instead of just going "fire at will" is to keep everyone from fucking up the order.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    For my money Ultimate Muscle Roller Legend is still the best thing on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2wViKSh_M

Actually, rewatching it again, just gonna say NSFW.

Why am I not surprised that Trucker's Delight is a suggested video to that.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Well, the point of the dude in charge calling out all the steps instead of just going "fire at will" is to keep everyone from fucking up the order.

It's not just the order, if you do the steps incorrectly, angle things wrong, let the match go out, don't position the match correctly, you could hurt yourself, hurt the guy standing next to you, or just fail to fire. It just seems orders of magnitude more difficult than a bow.

edited January 2015

It's not just the order, if you do the steps incorrectly, angle things wrong, let the match go out, don't position the match correctly, you could hurt yourself, hurt the guy standing next to you, or just fail to fire. It just seems orders of magnitude more difficult than a bow.

Sure, but that seems like something you could train up a large group of dudes to do in a few weeks. How long does it take to train someone to use a bow with 100+ pound draw strength? How many people who haven't been shooting a bow most their life are even capable of that? There are very few physical prerequisites to shooting a firearm.

Actually I'm not even sure how wide spread early muskets were. Gonna look it up...

edit: Hey remember when the history channel showed stuff about history?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI0zBd4Q_rM

TheStig on
    edited January 2015

Sure, but that seems like something you could train up a large group of dudes to do in a few weeks. How long does it take to train someone to use a bow with 100+ pound draw strength? How many people who haven't been shooting a bow most their life are even capable of that? There are very few physical prerequisites to shooting a firearm.

Actually I'm not even sure how wide spread early muskets were. Gonna look it up...

Early muskets as in matchlocks? Very widespread, completely superseded the bow and give rise to the period of musket and pike warfare which dominated the battlegrounds of Europe for ~150 years or so.

I wish I could find a credible source online to the actual draw weights of various war bows throughout history, the numbers are all over the place and sadly the internet is very untrustworthy for these kinds of figures. People who shoot bows these days shoot for being precise, not for draw power. Training someone to shoot a warbow in an arc in a general direction at a mass of men should not take very long at all.

Edit: It's funny, read a site focused on the English longbow, and you get figures of 150 or 200lbs draw weight. Read a site on mongolian archery and they say english longbows were like 80 and mongolian bows were like 150. I wonder how much this is my country is better than your country chest thumping nonsense, considering how much cultural identity seems to get wrapped up in things like archery.

Inquisitor on
    edited January 2015

Early muskets as in matchlocks? Very widespread, completely superseded the bow and give rise to the period of musket and pike warfare which dominated the battlegrounds of Europe for ~150 years or so.

I wish I could find a credible source online to the actual draw weights of various war bows throughout history, the numbers are all over the place and sadly the internet is very untrustworthy for these kinds of figures. People who shoot bows these days shoot for being precise, not for draw power. Training someone to shoot a warbow in an arc in a general direction at a mass of men should not take very long at all.

Edit: It's funny, read a site focused on the English longbow, and you get figures of 150 or 200lbs draw weight. Read a site on mongolian archery and they say english longbows were like 80 and mongolian bows were like 150. I wonder how much this is my country is better than your country chest thumping nonsense, considering how much cultural identity seems to get wrapped up in things like archery.

I read this site on Japanese military (which was strangely written by a 16 year old white kid) and it said bows of outside armies were obsolete because samurai would just chop the arrows out of the air.

edit: that video gets to bow vs musket around 23:00 (though i admit it is an old ass source)

TheStig on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzf0ZiVr9qw

Video of two guys operating matchlock muskets and one guy operating a wheellock musket roughly according to historical manuals. You know, you always hear that the musket supplanted the bow because it was easier to train people to use it, but the idea that it is easy getting people to do all that, while on the battlefield, while holding a burning match, without accidentally blowing themselves up, seems ridiculous.

They did it because you didn't have to train them for years to get the required musculature. If I remember correctly, you could look at the skeletons of archers from the era to see signs of that.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
This discussion has been closed.