As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ANA[CHAT]DA

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    The only problem (benefit?) to carrying around a backpack everywhere is that people assume you are a college student.

You can get a fancy backpack

I have one!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I think farming ranks as the most dangerous profession, in norway at least

lots of work alone'll do that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I smile at strangers all the time

it is communicating without actually talking to a stranger

I like literally refuse to smile at someone I don't know unless I'm already interacting with them.

I think I've got establishing a wall of ice between myself and the world that I am not interested in dealing with down to an art. Even despite exclusively traveling via public transit for the last six years of my life I am basically hassled by no one ever. I can shrug off people asking for money, conmen, and crazies with surprising ease.

The only thing is I get asked for directions a lot.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    The smiling thing is totally a cultural thing though.

I have a Russian friend, she smiles now, but I was talking with her and it was one of the weirder things that she had to adjust to was people smiling at her on the street.

And of course expecting her to smile.

So yeah, we're a strangely friendly bunch in at least the US/America's Hat

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Harlem shake was so incredibly tedious by the end. Shit, it was tedious a week in.

The song is still dope sauce

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    How dangerous being a cop is is also wildly overstated.

Being a construction worker is about as dangerous.
    Depends on the type of construction worker, but often times being a construction worker is dangerous because of human stupidity, where being a cop is dangerous because of malice aforethought.

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Can we go back to ripping on short people?

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I smile and wave at most strangers because small town

Also I smile at basically everyone because I like to smile and I want them to smile too

It's all part of my dastardly plot to conquer the world through polite kindness

Also bloody coups

I do that at work, always smile and acknowledge people, usually when I'm getting coffee / coming back to my desk.

Unfortunately the hallway is a bit too long, so I end up acknowledging people, smiling, and saying hi. They respond, but we've still got the awkward few seconds of walking toward / past each other when we've already done the 'hey, you exist' acknowledgement.

If the hall was longer, you could take a second before acknowledging someone, or if it was shorter you would be past them by the time you do the basic hi / how are you.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I have a Russian friend, she smiles now, but I was talking with her and it was one of the weirder things that she had to adjust to was people smiling at her on the street.

I hear that a lot from people not from the Americas.

We're apparently overly friendly and welcoming.

Aside from NYC, but if you're not trying to accost random NYers while they're walking, they're pretty nice too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The only problem (benefit?) to carrying around a backpack everywhere is that people assume you are a college student.

I have one!

What constitutes a fancy backpack?

Also, you could carry around a briefcase everywhere and be all "I AM SERIOUS BUSINESS. LOOK HOW SERIOUS BUSINESS I AM."

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    in construction there's usually someone somewhere whose job is to go around telling people off for not following security procedures

you totally are

pretty much everyone I know who has been across the pond were like "what's happening what do these people want from me"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

God do I hate short cops.

Wait, shit.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    what is smiling?

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

Also a pretty dangerous job. And the working enviroment of a builder tends to remain fairly static, whereas the difference between being a cop in downtown LA, and some suburb in the middle of nowhere are going to be pretty disparate. In addition if you look at th enumber of injuries things become a lot more interesting.

In addition to this you can't really ignore the fact that construction workers die, whilst police tend to get killed, which is an important distinction.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I have one!

Also, you could carry around a briefcase everywhere and be all "I AM SERIOUS BUSINESS. LOOK HOW SERIOUS BUSINESS I AM."

I think that's what i'll do from now on.

• Options
    I've surmised that I tend to look like I know where I'm going and like I'm very serious about getting there.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I don't know that I would consider vapid social interactions that include expecting others to smile as "friendly" really.

• Options

I have one!

I have one of these

http://perks.urbandaddy.com/the-british-belt-company-oxburgh-backpack.html

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    in construction there's usually someone somewhere whose job is to go around telling people off for not following security procedures

you totally are

pretty much everyone I know who has been across the pond were like "what's happening what do these people want from me"

We want nothing from you

Nothing at all

We might want your organs

Your delicious, delicious organs

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Swiss girl asked me yesterday about how all her coworkers/bosses at her internship tell her how great her work is and how well she's doing, and that she knows she's doing pointless busywork

Is America just always nice? She's like I'm not used to these compliments, it feels like everyone is lying

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Depends on the type of construction worker, but often times being a construction worker is dangerous because of human stupidity, where being a cop is dangerous because of malice aforethought.

The most dangerous jobs are dangerous because you are working in isolated places far from help (logging / fishing), jobs where there is a fall risk (roofing) or you're working with dangerous equipment (construction worker / farmer).

The more of those factors the more dangerous the job.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

*Does a hop off of Yoshi, throwing him down an endless pit*

• Options

I have one!

Haliburton case handcuffed to your wrist.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Unfortunately the hallway is a bit too long, so I end up acknowledging people, smiling, and saying hi. They respond, but we've still got the awkward few seconds of walking toward / past each other when we've already done the 'hey, you exist' acknowledgement.

This is a thing I dislike.

The way it works here is everyone feigns a keen interest in the walls, until roughly halfway through the hall. That way our verbal acknowledgement can be timed accordingly.

Worst people say "hi" too soon, and fail to find walls intriguing.

• Options
    edited August 2014

I have one!

I think that's what i'll do from now on.

Complement it by always wearing a full suit everywhere you go even when doing so would be wildly inappropriate. Shrug off any awkwardness with the implication that you just came from DOING SERIOUS BUSINESS and that you have no time for trivialities like changing into casual clothing.

Winky on
  • Options
    I don't smile at people in nyc but I definitely people watch as I walk down the street

If we make eye contact I stare blankly at them

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i have to return some tapes

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

I have one!

I have one of these

http://perks.urbandaddy.com/the-british-belt-company-oxburgh-backpack.html

Oh, yeah.

That works

if you're wearing tweed

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I don't know that I would consider vapid social interactions that include expecting others to smile as "friendly" really.

You just ruled out my entire non-internet social life.

Thanks.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    edit: so many people said it better than me, I dont want to add to police talk anymore.

butts.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I've never known a cop that didn't go out with pepperspray and a club. Tasers and maglites aren't uncommon as well. The idea that a cop is going to be beaten to death because of rules against shooting is pretty goosey. Cops who die on the job die of three things 90+% of the time: Car accidents, getting shot and unrelated health problems. A prison guard might occasionally be killed via a stabbing but cops don't get beaten to death. One off duty cop was beaten to death in 2011. A few died after having heart attacks after a scuffle. One cop was stabbed to death in 2010. There isn't a secret population of cops in fear of being beaten to death

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Swiss girl asked me yesterday about how all her coworkers/bosses at her internship tell her how great her work is and how well she's doing, and that she knows she's doing pointless busywork

Is America just always nice? She's like I'm not used to these compliments, it feels like everyone is lying

In a sense, probably.

I mean, I think that culturally we're really invested in everyone at least appearing to be doing well and being happy.

I think that a lot of times we actually want people to be happy, we're just bad at knowing how to do that.

• Options
    I'm at the city clerks office! This is where I met @deebaser @AlyceInWonderland‌ and @Bogart‌ and mrs bogart

Dang a ton of people here are getting married!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i am p tired of people telling me to smile tbh

what i do with my face is none of your business person i don't know

• Options
    This page of [chat] summarizes humanity quite well.

Rules for vapid social interaction.
    Carrying bags.
    Shooting each other.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

what i do with my face is none of your business person i don't know

I don't know, they are the ones that have to deal with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular

*Does a hop off of Yoshi, throwing him down an endless pit*

LnojCuYm.jpg?1

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    this sure is the place to talk about cops rather than you know that thread about cops

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Every time I go to Europe I've gotten comments on how polite and nice Americans are. Sometimes they say "especially people from Boston" and then I wonder if I'm not picking up on sarcasm.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

what i do with my face is none of your business Dr. Koslowsky, DDS

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.