As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ANA[CHAT]DA

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I think farming ranks as the most dangerous profession, in norway at least

lots of work alone'll do that

norway: live action mmo

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I keep misreading the formula for potassium phosphate as Kingdom Hearts somehow.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    this sure is the place to talk about cops rather than you know that thread about cops

It's weeks like this that I really miss Thantos.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I don't smile at people in nyc but I definitely people watch as I walk down the street

If we make eye contact I stare blankly at them

Eye contact you get the barely perceptible nod.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    The smiling thing is totally a cultural thing though.

I have a Russian friend, she smiles now, but I was talking with her and it was one of the weirder things that she had to adjust to was people smiling at her on the street.

And of course expecting her to smile.

So yeah, we're a strangely friendly bunch in at least the US/America's Hat

Swiss girl asked me yesterday about how all her coworkers/bosses at her internship tell her how great her work is and how well she's doing, and that she knows she's doing pointless busywork

Is America just always nice? She's like I'm not used to these compliments, it feels like everyone is lying

Is she gorgeous

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I keep misreading the formula for potassium phosphate as Kingdom Hearts somehow.

KH3 confirmed.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/aaa5/?srp=1

aaa5_bagofholding.jpg

Love this thing so much. If you need to carry more than this holds, you probably need to reevaluate what you are doing.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    hey lady why are you wearing a shirt your tits probably look so lovely <- literally exactly the same thing as telling someone to smile

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Americans got really self-conscious following the 2000s where we were all getting dumped on for being obnoxious so we've tried to compensate for it.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i have the premise of a joke that i like

but the setup requires talking about something that isn't very funny and kind of awful and i'm not sure how to go about it

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    is it dead kids

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i have the premise of a joke that i like

but the setup requires talking about something that isn't very funny and kind of awful and i'm not sure how to go about it

So what's the deal with having abortions in concentration camps?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I wonder if Americans got really self-conscious following the 2000s where we were all getting dumped on for being obnoxious so we've tried to compensate for it.

We've been getting dumped on for being obnoxious a lot longer than just the last decade and a half.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    is it dead kids

no

i said the topic was unfunny and awful

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    is it dead kids

no

is it live kids?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

We've been obnoxious a lot longer than just the last decade and a half.

ftfy

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »
    I don't smile at people in nyc but I definitely people watch as I walk down the street

If I make eye contact I give them a second hold and then the disinterested eye wander, to let them understand that I have judged them and found them unworthy of my attention.

If they continue looking at me then I refuse to look at them ever again.

• Options

We've been getting dumped on for being obnoxious a lot longer than just the last decade and a half.

Yeah, but the 2000s was when we actually started hearing/paying attention to it.

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »

If I make eye contact I give them a second hold and then the disinterested eye wander, to let them understand that I have judged them and found them unworthy of my attention.

If they continue looking at me then I refuse to look at them ever again.

if i make eye contact i start licking my lips and making nipple pinchy gestures with my index fingers and thumbs

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    is it dead kids

no

Agh it's me :(

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

Yeah, but the 2000s was when we actually started hearing/paying attention to it.

or maybe that's when you started because you were coming of age then

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    hey lady why are you wearing a shirt your tits probably look so lovely <- literally exactly the same thing as telling someone to smile

Confirmed Elendil doesn't smile but shows tits

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options

compensated by... being louder and more obnoxious?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    If i make eye contact, i automatically start looking at the floor and mutter "sorry" over and over again.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I am trying coffee black because eddy was being a wiener about it last night

it is not as tasty as with sugar and milk

>:[

• Options
    i didn't mean that to sound condescending

just that i remember it in the 90s too

and it probably happened in the 80s but i was too young to notice

• Options

I mean, don't get me wrong, that's entirely accurate.

But I don't think I'm wrong in saying that Americans as a whole have become far more aware of the rest of the world's perceptions of them. I think the pervasiveness of the internet has had a ton to do with that.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Sugar in coffee. I am disappointed Skippy

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

but you're saving like 100 calories so it's totally worth it tasting gross

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    girl, you should smile a bit more

it'll take you from saturnine to saturnten

• Options

Sorry Chu

Skippy, I mean skippy. Sorry skippy

• Options

I mean, don't get me wrong, that's entirely accurate.

But I don't think I'm wrong in saying that Americans as a whole have become far more aware of the rest of the world's perceptions of them. I think the pervasiveness of the internet has had a ton to do with that.

probably in a general sense, yeah

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Black coffee is like... what? 3 calories and a bunch of good stuff and some caffeine which is great stuff

the best stuff.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

I feel like you're just making this up

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I as once walkig to work last year, and on my way there someone walking past said "You need to smile! It is a BEAUTIFUL day!"

He said this to me in a very angry tone. He was not smiling.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

i thought the irish love america

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    girl you should smile a bit more because your look of defeated indifference too closely resembles what i imagine you'd look like if we were in a relationship

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2014

I feel like you're just making this up

Pretty sure Americans knew that Europeans thought of us as arrogant and obnoxious for decades and decades at least.

My dad has stories from his time in France in the late 50s / early 60s.

This is not new.

edit: and americans think the same about lots of other foreign peoples! Nationalism is fun!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

i thought the irish love america

we love your tourist money and how quaint you find our accents

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

Sorry Chu

Skippy, I mean skippy. Sorry skippy

someone get me a dr

I'm bleeding everywhere

This discussion has been closed.