As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2015 Q&A Thread

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    miyo wrote: »
    As a first time PAX visitor, is there any sort of FAQ for what kind of things to expect at the show in terms of panels/how the exhibit hall works? I'm really pumped and am getting all curious~

excellent point. less than 80 days out, i think we should have a proper FAQ thread instead of this pre-FAQ, shouldn't we?

in the meantime, here's last year's thread. the first couple of posts cover a lot of the basics.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm sure @SmallLady‌ will get to it soon when she has time.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    This is my third year going to pax east. Thinking about getting into tabletop gaming. My question is are people wiling to help other learn regardless if they have no experience.
    I've found it extremely rare for people at PAX to not want to teach others. The only time I've run into something like that is when a group had their own tournament-style thing set up amongst themselves with the understanding that everyone knows the basics. However, you can almost always find people that are more than willing to teach you. I've been on both the teacher and student end and both are a lot of fun.

I always make time for tabletop. It really can be the best part of the show.

Yeah, I taught some people Small World, and there were plenty of people just dropping into games with people they didn't know.

• koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    Every year I crash people's tabletop groups and so far no one has complained so long as they have room for me.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    We had an awesome game of Dominion with a mix of veterans and random people we made friends with during the game. Always a good time

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • miyomiyo Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    As a first time PAX visitor, is there any sort of FAQ for what kind of things to expect at the show in terms of panels/how the exhibit hall works? I'm really pumped and am getting all curious~

excellent point. less than 80 days out, i think we should have a proper FAQ thread instead of this pre-FAQ, shouldn't we?

in the meantime, here's last year's thread. the first couple of posts cover a lot of the basics.

Thanks for this, it definitely helped me out :3 I'll keep an eye out if one for 2015 pops up too~

• The_WardenThe_Warden Registered User new member
    When do enforcer applications normally open?

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    It depends. Right now PRD is sifting through the responses from returning [E] for East, and also dealing with getting everything in order for South. Because of that latter bit, I wouldn't expect anything to be announced until after South is over.

JfqWFk8.png
  • flaznarflaznar Registered User regular
    They are open now for East 2015

• RedeyeRedeye Registered User new member
    Does anybody have an idea of what kind of tabletop wargames will be represented? I went in 2013 and I only remember seeing Warhammer and Warmachine, and Battletech at the Catalyst booth, but I want to know if it's worth bringing my Infinity and Firestorm Armada stuff, since luggage space is gonna be at a premium.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    If there's a panel featuring anyone you recognize, you should arrive an hour ahead of time, to stand in line, as it will fill up fast.
    Any panel featuring a big name will require you to wait in line at least 2 hours.
    And a few select panels will fill up when the convention hall opens in the morning.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • SoulairSoulair Registered User regular
    Will you usually find people wanting to play Smash Bros in the Console Freeplay area ?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Brawl was the 6th most checked-out game during the last Aus and Prime, and the most checked out game last East. I'd say finding willing players shouldn't be a problem.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    Soulair
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Redeye wrote: »
    Does anybody have an idea of what kind of tabletop wargames will be represented? I went in 2013 and I only remember seeing Warhammer and Warmachine, and Battletech at the Catalyst booth, but I want to know if it's worth bringing my Infinity and Firestorm Armada stuff, since luggage space is gonna be at a premium.
    I'm not sure if you would fit this into that category, but Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures had a tournament last year. I'm trying to get a hold of Fantasy Flight to see if they'll make a presence this year.

EDIT: going on that note, I wonder if they'll have any Star Wars Armada events... I kind of refuse to believe it exists because one tabletop game devotion is expensive enough, I don't need two.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Skrepo
  • GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    Hey all,
    Let me preface this with that I understand what I am going to be asking about is a controversial and a frowned upon thing. I purchased four 3 day badges for PAX East this year. Unfortunately I may not be needing them (nailing down my groups people to badges ratio this week). I know we are not supposed to sell or talk about badges ever on the forums anymore to help reduce scalpers and shady folks on the forums taking advantage of us. However, I would like to not be saddled with 300 dollars of badges if I can avoid it. So my question is what should I do if I find that I do not need them? Is there a legit up and up way to get them to those people who need them? I do not want to scalp them or sell them at the con to scalpers. I would want to get them to folks who missed out. I am not trying to make money off people or screw someone over, I just don't want to be stuck footing a bill for something that is going to waste. I realize it is my mistake and I am sorry Zerzhul for this type of post, but I was not sure what to do in this situation. It would be even better if I could cancel the order and get a refund, but I am sure I am way past the deadline for that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Gerzzog

edited January 2015
    This topic comes up from time to time in the registration or faq threads for each pax. There are no refunds, in general, for pax. Ultimately there is no official sanctioned method of resale. It would be great if there were. I know there's an unofficial face exchange on reddit that people use, but as with any place, ymmv.

Fwiw, it's not controversial or frowned upon to ask this sort of question, it's just not permitted to buy/sell badges here on these forums.

zerzhul on
  • GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    Thanks all for the answers to my previous question as it does help me out a bunch! Another one did come up though since I've been prepping my finances and such. Does anyone know if there are any sort of shuttles between the convention center and nearby hotels? My hotel is about a mile and a half away and I wasn't sure if I'll have to use taxis or what. I could walk but it is across what looks like a bridge and I assume Boston is still pretty chilly in March...

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    almost all the hotel within a few miles have a shuttle system the system normally gets annouced with the routes a few weeks before the convention

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out!

edited January 2015
    My hotel is about a mile and a half away and I wasn't sure if I'll have to use taxis or what. I could walk but it is across what looks like a bridge and I assume Boston is still pretty chilly in March...
    There is a bridge, but it's pretty short. The walk from South Station to the BCEC is about 10 minutes, so maybe that will help you judge how far of a walk you'll have.

Also keep in mind that the BCEC is in the industrial/Seaport section of Boston, which means it is mostly pretty open and definitely near the water. That could mean two things:
    1. Because it's more open than most of Boston, it lacks the wind tunnels that are brutal in the winter.
    2. Due to being close to the ocean, you could still get some pretty rough winds coming off the water.
    Lastly, it's winter in New England. That means it's usually cold. If the past few days are any indication (it was -5 yesterday morning with a wind chill of -17), it could mean for a cold cold cold winter this year. And unlike areas south of the Mason-Dixon, March is still pretty much winter up here.

Le_Goat on
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Weather-wise, I'll throw a caveat to all this:

The last year it was this early in the ear (2011 as I recall, March 11-13- and incidentally I cried when I checked my email for the dates and saw that 3 day passes for that event were $55 each!) it was fairly chilly the Thursday before the event, then...as I recall, quite WARM for the season during the actual event (15C or so). I've been in Boston in mid-Feb once where it was 20C, but that was ridiculously hot for the time of the year (a business trip- fittingly, the focus groups we held were in the Back Bay area, so I got to re-visit the original PAX East stomping grounds....ah, memories)

All this to say- the weather in Boston at that time of the year is a damn coin toss. I'm a Montrealer, so it's actually usually a smidge WARMER than home, but this early in the year, bring a warm jacket (i.e: not a windbreaker, something with some proper insulation) but don't go crazy- you don't need Canada Goose-level gear- a typical jacket that's good for say, -5C to 10C is your best bet.

And bring an okay pair of gloves and a toque. Especially the toque. you can sorta fudge your hands with pocket if you're really hosed (which I don't recommend- I usually bring a pair of those fingerless gloves that convert to mittens and they work like a charm) but something for your head and your EARS is a must- just that one item will help make any walks more pleasant.

LoonyEclipse on
    My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    schuss
    I figured it might be chilly yea. I live in Ohio so not a stranger to having to wear cold weather gear into March and used to chilly winds from my college days too. Looks like South Station is about 6 or 7 minutes walk from my Hotel so probably about a 20 minute walk depending on how quick I go :) I do appreciate the advice, I'm just getting psyched even though it's still a good 2 months away and want to make sure I got all my prep in place.

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    So today I just learned a beanie is called a toque in Canada. Had to google that one.

tvethiopiaLoonyEclipseItaraThunderous_Trandy_wrecked
  • OfficeZombieOfficeZombie Registered User regular
    The walk to the convention centre isn't bad, and it's especially fine if you're not trying to be the first one inside. If you do want to be one of the first ones in you have to get there like an hour before they even open the doors, which is the really killer part if it's cold.

Any news on whether there'll be a bag check again this year? I know last year it went pretty smooth, but I'm curious.

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
    Going forward from last year, I'm just assuming it will be a standard part of the event.

randy_wrecked
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Registered User new member
    Hey folks, I'm looking to procure a better hotel for PAX East. Does anyone have any pointers for snagging a better hotel? For instance any specific forums I should monitor or any other methods I should use?

• SpannerSpanner Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm in a bind as my wife has lost her job and we're not in a position to go. The main site says no refunds. Is there any legitimate way to get a refund or sell the tickets?

Burn the Land and Boil the Sea.
    You can't take the Sky from Me.
    Spanner wrote: »
    I'm in a bind as my wife has lost her job and we're not in a position to go. The main site says no refunds. Is there any legitimate way to get a refund or sell the tickets?
    Unfortunately, there is no official method by which to resell the tickets. You could always try [email protected], but yes the policy from PAX has been no refunds.

• Peatear GryphonPeatear Gryphon MassachusettsRegistered User new member
    @spanner On Facebook there is a group called Pax East Forever that has a people who were unable to obtain badges. They do not sell for profit, everything is face value. It's for your exact reason if for some reason someone who has tickets can't go anymore and would like to give the opportunity for those who were not able to get badges that would be a good place to post something.

QuantumShaddowStreetlight345DisruptedCapitalist
  • ClaimingRissaClaimingRissa Registered User new member
    Not sure where to ask this, but will there be shuttles again this year? I'm staying at the Hilton Boston BackBay. As I am not familiar with Boston and the train system, how would I get from the hotel to the convention if shuttles aren't offered? Thanks!

• Account4ThisAccount4This BostonRegistered User regular
    Not sure where to ask this, but will there be shuttles again this year? I'm staying at the Hilton Boston BackBay. As I am not familiar with Boston and the train system, how would I get from the hotel to the convention if shuttles aren't offered? Thanks!

Walk to either Prudential or Hynes Convention Center T Stop, take it inbound to Park St, transfer to the Red line (towards Braintree or Ashmont, either train), and get off at South Station. Walk over the bridge/follow your fellow PAX'ers. Shuttles will likely be offered though

shuttles have been offered almost every year so I would be shocked if that changed

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    There will be Hotel Shuttles. No schedule yet, but I suspect it will be similar to previous years.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    zerzhul
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Just FYI, if your hotel is not the 1st one on the Pax shuttle route, you might see it go by without stopping because it filled up on the first hotel. This happens usually early on Fri because everyone is excited and wants to get there early. So have a back up plan (public transit, cab, etc...)

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
    stardust462
  • imnotalawyerimnotalawyer Registered User regular
    pkpkpk wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm looking to procure a better hotel for PAX East. Does anyone have any pointers for snagging a better hotel? For instance any specific forums I should monitor or any other methods I should use?

Checkout my response to someone on Reddit regarding finding a better a hotel - http://www.reddit.com/r/PAX/comments/2s18ka/east_any_advice_on_getting_a_better_hotel/cnml2uo

The short answer is keep on watching OnPeak and maybe you will get lucky here or there if someone cancels and gives up their reservation

faPgNTD
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Any news on whether there'll be a bag check again this year? I know last year it went pretty smooth, but I'm curious.
    Do you mean the convention holding your bags for the day, or do you mean the security inspection of bags when entering the convention center?

The former has been a thing every year, and I would not be surprised to see the latter again with a bit of streamlining.

YL9WnCY.png
    Do you mean the convention holding your bags for the day, or do you mean the security inspection of bags when entering the convention center?

The former has been a thing every year, and I would not be surprised to see the latter again with a bit of streamlining.

security inspection.

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
    is it just me or does it seem because of south stuff is getting annouced really late this year

Le_GoatClannMorgankoolaroo