As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

East 2015 Q&A Thread

• Options
    DigitalxRequiemDigitalxRequiem South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    Hey guys so last year i took the subway in and while that was fine and all this year with me cosplaying i wanted to have the option to be able to store my stuff in my car while at the event. So the question is does the parking lot fill up quick every year? If it does when is the best time to be there by? I know it costs like 12 bucks to park and i dont mind paying that at all.

• Options
    DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    I got there about opening time and parked at a lot across the street and never had any issue. It did certainly look close to filled by the afternoon. But if you get there at 10 or not too long after, you can find parking easy.

• Options
    ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    We got there first thing in the morning last year and we were able to get parking in the lot behind the BCEC every day. I was planning to do the same this year since we had such an easy time of it last year. That being said, last year was our first PAX, so our good luck may have been a fluke.

mkf6ad9.png
  • Options
    SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    I drive in every year. If you're there by 8 parking in the main lot isn't a problem, if you get there closer to 10 you might end up in the overflow lot and have to take the shuttle in or park in another lot. I'm not sure on how all this snow will impact the lots though.

• Options
    Falco KickFalco Kick Registered User new member
    Hey anyone have any idea how bows would go weapon wise? I'm probably gonna cosplay green arrow, and I have some arrows that are missing the nock (the part that fits onto the bow string) and they won't have heads on them, so they'd just chill in my quiver, not worried about those but now my actual bow is another thing, I don't wanna unstring it, so wondering if anyone knows if they would allow that in

• Options
    PlatStratPlatStrat Registered User regular
    I have a few questions about the Jamspace. So is the space for public use and/or do you have to sign up to use it and if so how, where, and when do you do that? Also, are there any restrictions to what kind of performances you can do other than (I'm assuming) keep it PG/PG-13? I've only been to one other major convention that had this kind of thing and I missed out on it because I didn't realize how it worked haha.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Falco Kick wrote: »
    Hey anyone have any idea how bows would go weapon wise? I'm probably gonna cosplay green arrow, and I have some arrows that are missing the nock (the part that fits onto the bow string) and they won't have heads on them, so they'd just chill in my quiver, not worried about those but now my actual bow is another thing, I don't wanna unstring it, so wondering if anyone knows if they would allow that in
    As per the PAX East FAQ:
    Can I bring my nerf gun/lightsaber/other weird thing?
    All prop weapons brought to the show MUST be approved at Info Booth (North Lobby) as soon as you arrive.

We will be looking for the following criteria:
    • It cannot fire any sort of projectile. (Nerf guns are only allowed if they have been deactivated and can not fire.)
    • It cannot be an airsoft weapon. (Yes, even if it’s deactivated.)
    • It must comply with local weapons laws.
    • It cannot be sharp or pointy enough to cut or pierce someone with moderate pressure. This includes all real swords, daggers and knives. It also includes ceramic blades, needles, syringes and anything that can pierce such as a Little Sister syringe made of wood.
    Basically, you need to check in with the Info Booth. I think you're going to be cool since you've removed the ability for the arrows to be projectiles, as well as the heads.
    PlatStrat wrote: »
    I have a few questions about the Jamspace. So is the space for public use and/or do you have to sign up to use it and if so how, where, and when do you do that? Also, are there any restrictions to what kind of performances you can do other than (I'm assuming) keep it PG/PG-13? I've only been to one other major convention that had this kind of thing and I missed out on it because I didn't realize how it worked haha.
    I do not know how the sign-up procedure works, since I have terrible stage fright and would probably just do my best impersonation of a Popple (link included for those who didn't experience the 80s).

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    JackubeeJackubee Registered User regular
    This'll be a first in a few ways for me:
    First time going alone.
    First time going all three days instead of just Friday and Saturday.
    First time going being 21+.
    First time having a phone capable of magical things like take pictures of QR codes and follow twitter.

However, it's also probably the last PAX East I'm going to be able to attend. So, my questions stem from the above.

-In past years I've always noticed QR codes on random PAX maps and such. Is it some sort of scavenger hunt?

-I've always liked the idea of the free-play area, but I'm unsure about the rules of the room; if, say, all I want to do for hours on end is play SSB4 with random people, would that work out? In all my hours in there I don't think I ever saw strangers walking up and asking to join in on a game. Would it be against forum rules to make a thread "Anyone want to play SSB4?" or something like that to get people over?

-The entire tabletop area of PAX has always mystified and confounded me. I love playing duels with Yugioh's Battle Pack 2 but beyond that I haven't the slightest idea how to play any of the stuff going on over there and, as I can at least tell that I'm probably the only one who'd want to play sealed pack yugioh, I've always felt it was just inaccessible to someone not in the know; but is it really? Do people just go up and start playing games they didn't know anything about a few minutes beforehand and everyone's cool with that?

• Options
    VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    So this may seem like a strange question but I was going to bring one or 2 amiibo under the expectation that my family was driving, but it turns out we are flying. My question, is will the metal detector wipe the Amiibo, because if so that would suck

Wishes he could change his username
  • Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    VGguy49 wrote: »
    So this may seem like a strange question but I was going to bring one or 2 amiibo under the expectation that my family was driving, but it turns out we are flying. My question, is will the metal detector wipe the Amiibo, because if so that would suck

Never heard of metal detectors wiping NFC or RFID stuff, so i think you should be fine.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Jackubee wrote: »
    First time going alone.
    First time having a phone capable of magical things like take pictures of QR codes and follow twitter.

However, it's also probably the last PAX East I'm going to be able to attend. So, my questions stem from the above.

-In past years I've always noticed QR codes on random PAX maps and such. Is it some sort of scavenger hunt?

-I've always liked the idea of the free-play area, but I'm unsure about the rules of the room; if, say, all I want to do for hours on end is play SSB4 with random people, would that work out? In all my hours in there I don't think I ever saw strangers walking up and asking to join in on a game. Would it be against forum rules to make a thread "Anyone want to play SSB4?" or something like that to get people over?

-The entire tabletop area of PAX has always mystified and confounded me. I love playing duels with Yugioh's Battle Pack 2 but beyond that I haven't the slightest idea how to play any of the stuff going on over there and, as I can at least tell that I'm probably the only one who'd want to play sealed pack yugioh, I've always felt it was just inaccessible to someone not in the know; but is it really? Do people just go up and start playing games they didn't know anything about a few minutes beforehand and everyone's cool with that?

Yes, it's essentially a scavenger hunt. (edit: 10 people get the special medal for finishing first), but I expect the prize is generally not worth it unless you really like scavenger hunts and bragging rights. More something to do as you go about.

The free play console area has a half hour time limit, but earlier in the day if you are using equipment which isn't in demand (which it is often not) you can go longer. A few games are just set up in a room with controllers to walk up to as opposed to checking out. Smash has been among them in the past. Also smash is a popular enough game you can find people who welcome walk up challengers. But in general, people won't hold it against you ask to join, or you can hang out in front waving a game/sign to find players. twitter might also be a better way to get people for a game. they have the LFG hastag they promote (for tabletop as well)

Tabletop definitely welcomes people coming up and lots of people are willing to teach you. It's definitely easier to get a game with strangers than console freeplay, the tabletop area is loud and busy enough that somebody waving a box isn't disruptive. I would only do that in the hallway for console freeplay, the rooms aren't very rowdy. Board game players use it as a chance to learn new games and people always need more players to fill up a game. If you see a board game with the box top set up so it is displayed, it means they are actively looking for more people. I also personally spend most of my time in tabletop freeplay and I see so many people walking in circles looking like they want to join a game, but are too shy/unsure about how. So I make an effort to grab people like that and help them get in a game. Look for me (wearing the grafitti suit in my pic) if you want to get in a game, or PM me. You can also ask people browsing the checkout area.

TLDR: Don't be afraid to walk up to people and ask for a game. Most people are cool with being approached.

DanQ on
  • Options
    yolomcswaggytotsyolomcswaggytots Registered User regular
    What's a swag bag? Like, what does it look like. Does it come with anything?

• Options
    just a plastic bag. In the past there have been things like mini promo Magic cards, cards against hunamity cards, and DLC skin codes for various PC games. Some flyers. You might find something you like, promo cards against humanity cards tend to be considered the best item every year, a lot of the stuff is only appealing if you happen to play the game. I throw out most of it, rarely anything I find appealing.

• Options
    QuantumShaddowQuantumShaddow Registered User regular
    DanQ wrote: »
    First time going alone.

Yes, it's essentially a scavenger hunt. I think I read something about a prize for the first 25 or 50 people to finish it, but I expect the prize is generally not worth it unless you really like scavenger hunts and bragging rights. More something to do as you go about.

The free play console area has a half hour time limit, but earlier in the day if you are using equipment which isn't in demand (which it is often not) you can go longer. A few games are just set up in a room with controllers to walk up to as opposed to checking out. Smash has been among them in the past. Also smash is a popular enough game you can find people who welcome walk up challengers. But in general, people won't hold it against you ask to join, or you can hang out in front waving a game/sign to find players. twitter might also be a better way to get people for a game. they have the LFG hastag they promote (for tabletop as well)

Tabletop definitely welcomes people coming up and lots of people are willing to teach you. It's definitely easier to get a game with strangers than console freeplay, the tabletop area is loud and busy enough that somebody waving a box isn't disruptive. I would only do that in the hallway for console freeplay, the rooms aren't very rowdy. Board game players use it as a chance to learn new games and people always need more players to fill up a game. If you see a board game with the box top set up so it is displayed, it means they are actively looking for more people. I also personally spend most of my time in tabletop freeplay and I see so many people walking in circles looking like they want to join a game, but are too shy/unsure about how. So I make an effort to grab people like that and help them get in a game. Look for me (wearing the grafitti suit in my pic) if you want to get in a game, or PM me. You can also ask people browsing the checkout area.

TLDR: Don't be afraid to walk up to people and ask for a game. Most people are cool with being approached.

I have also done Free Play and late night is sometimes prime for getting random people to join!

My question for @Jackubee is: why is this one your last???

3DS FC: 4441-8382-3645
    Switch: SW-7634-0399-6788

QGqFhNv.png
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Basically, you need to check in with the Info Booth.

Wrong. Check it with our Security booth, which will probably be situated behind Info.

What DanQ said was partially incorrect. There's a Speed Demon medal for the first 10 people who turn it in, but we should have prizes for everyone who finishes the hunt.

1 thing that would derail your plans is that the CFP (and PC) have time limits of ~45 minutes, so you couldn't just camp a WiiU...however, there may be dedicated fighting game stations, which would be more conducive to this activity.

Pro-tip: assuming there aren't any LFG signs, the universal TT sign for "Looking for players" is holding the box lid up for people to see. Now, some games are much easier than others to introduce people to (Fluxx? Yeah! Battlestar Galactica...uh, no), but whoever's hosting the game should know this.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @NickTheNewbie should be able to shed some light on that. PM him or hopefully he'll answer here.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    I ordered Saturday passes months ago and have not received them. Upon looking at my receipt, it appears that my mailing address lists the wrong state (though the correct zip code). Does anyone know who I can contact for help regarding this? I want to make sure my passes have not been sent to the wrong place. Thanks.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    I live in an area not accustomed to the Winter Apocalypse gripping Boston and have no experience with good waterproof boots for walking in. Does anyone have any recommendations for comfortable options?

If you are new to boots, do NOT wear brand new boots all day. You will get blisters and your feet will be very upset. Boots need a period of breaking in before they can be worn all day. If you must have new boots (because you don't have yet), bring a change to good indoor walking shoes... actually can you check boots at the check?

My goal is to buy some boots this week and try to get them broken in in advance of next week.

Luckily the cold has been here so I'm mostly used to that, but the cold wet stuff on the ground is a foreign experience here.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    PlatStratPlatStrat Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    @NickTheNewbie should be able to shed some light on that. PM him or hopefully he'll answer here.
    Ok I'll PM him but now after looking at the map again, I noticed there's the Jamspace, Free play stage, and Bandland. Does anyone know the differences between these 3?

• Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    I believe Bandland has a bunch of information about the various artists performing at PAX, Freeplay Stage has a Rock Band setup where four people at a time go and perform a song from that game, and Dance Stage has Lets Dance or something like that set up for people to use. I have no idea what Jamspace is for.

• Options
    RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    Jamspace is basically the Rock Band freeplay stage but for reals. They have a bunch of instruments that you and who ever you grab can pick up and just start rocking on stage.

• Options
    pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    Heartlash wrote: »
    I ordered Saturday passes months ago and have not received them. Upon looking at my receipt, it appears that my mailing address lists the wrong state (though the correct zip code). Does anyone know who I can contact for help regarding this? I want to make sure my passes have not been sent to the wrong place. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's: pax_questions@paxsite.com

• Options
    mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    Hello,

Apologies if this information exists somewhere already. I looked for an FAQ thread and searched via keywords and didn't find anything:

Has the disability badge policy changed from previous years? Will I be able to pick one up as usual from registration? Will a doctor note be required?

Thanks a ton.

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    mtalmor wrote: »
    Hello,

Apologies if this information exists somewhere already. I looked for an FAQ thread and searched via keywords and didn't find anything:

Has the disability badge policy changed from previous years? Will I be able to pick one up as usual from registration? Will a doctor note be required?

Thanks a ton.
    Yes you can request a medical badge from the Information booth. PAX will never ask for any validation for a medical badge. As you know, you will still need your three-day/day pass to access PAX.
    Apparently I was incorrect. Sorry!

zeromyst on
    CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    zeromyst wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks a ton.
    Yes you can request a medical badge from the Information booth. PAX will never ask for any validation for a medical badge. As you know, you will still need your three-day/day pass to access PAX.

Incorrect, Registration is the place to go for the last year or so (it did used to be Info). There will be a short form to fill out but not Doctors note is required. You can also email pax_questions@paxsite.com and see about getting the paperwork out of the way ahead of time.
    http://east.paxsite.com/faq#i-have-a-mobility-impairment-and-or-use-a-wheelchairhow-easy-will-it-be-for

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Falco Kick wrote: »

Even though your arrows are not usable, if your bow is still strung it can still fire a projectile. It will either need to be unstrung, or strung with a extra long string that does not bend it.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    coflroptercoflropter Registered User regular
    On the topic of handheld games, I'm bringing a 3DS with Smash Bros, Pokemon AS, Pokemon X, and Mario Kart, are these decent games to bring/Will there be other people playing these games?

VEIYCZd.png
  • Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    coflropter wrote: »
    On the topic of handheld games, I'm bringing a 3DS with Smash Bros, Pokemon AS, Pokemon X, and Mario Kart, are these decent games to bring/Will there be other people playing these games?

Yes to all those games, those are awesome games to bring and most likely people will have those. Pokemon especially since the PPL is around.

I think for other games, MH4 may see some use, I don't have a copy myself, but with the HHL, someones likely going to be playing it.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    coflropter wrote: »

Check out the PAX Pokemon League thread or or follow @paxpokemon on Twitter for lots of live updates on the events going on there.

• Options
    mtalmormtalmor Registered User regular
    Beker wrote: »
    zeromyst wrote: »
    Hello,

Thanks a ton.

Incorrect, Registration is the place to go for the last year or so (it did used to be Info). There will be a short form to fill out but not Doctors note is required. You can also email pax_questions@paxsite.com and see about getting the paperwork out of the way ahead of time.
    http://east.paxsite.com/faq#i-have-a-mobility-impairment-and-or-use-a-wheelchairhow-easy-will-it-be-for

Thanks! Glad nothing has changed :-D

• Options
    PCRDPCRD Registered User new member
    Hi everyone I'm going to be attending PAX East 2015 for my first PAX I'm 15 and going with my dad and another one of my friends who's 16, will i have trouble getting into the convention if my dad isn't there with me? I'm 6ft and my friends about 5'8 I'm a little on the chunky side and my friends a twig. Will we have any trouble getting in?

• Options
    PCRD wrote: »
    Hi everyone I'm going to be attending PAX East 2015 for my first PAX I'm 15 and going with my dad and another one of my friends who's 16, will i have trouble getting into the convention if my dad isn't there with me? I'm 6ft and my friends about 5'8 I'm a little on the chunky side and my friends a twig. Will we have any trouble getting in?

If you have your badges you should be fine.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    kewers77kewers77 Registered User new member
    Hi, I tried accessing the Hotels part of the Pax website, and it doesn't seem to let me in. Am I too late to book at any of the partnered hotels?

• Options
    mooseonskatesmooseonskates Registered User new member
    Hey guys,

I bought tickets for me and my friends and I just found out today that I have to pick them up in person at Will Call by the registration area of the convention center since I live outside of the US. I just wanted to know if it would be possible to pick them up the day before the event? or do I have to wake up early and stand in line on Friday morning to get them?

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    kewers77 wrote: »
    Hi, I tried accessing the Hotels part of the Pax website, and it doesn't seem to let me in. Am I too late to book at any of the partnered hotels?

Yes. The hotel information has already been moved out of the onpeak system. You may be able to book directly with some of them.
    Hey guys,

I bought tickets for me and my friends and I just found out today that I have to pick them up in person at Will Call by the registration area of the convention center since I live outside of the US. I just wanted to know if it would be possible to pick them up the day before the event? or do I have to wake up early and stand in line on Friday morning to get them?

There will be will call on Thursday. Keep an eye on the pax twitter for times (or someone official saying it here)

GhostDan on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    You are like 120 days too late to book a room in the Weston or Seaport hotels. The Weston gets booked completely the same day PAX East tickets go on sale. The Seaport hotel gets booked completely maybe a day later.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Stower2422Stower2422 North Boston Suburban HellscapeRegistered User regular
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    VGguy49 wrote: »

Never heard of metal detectors wiping NFC or RFID stuff, so i think you should be fine.

Yeah, my wallet and laptop go through the metal detector all the time at the airport. If it isn't frying my laptop or charlie card, I think your amiibos will be fine.

• Options
    Alex The GingerAlex The Ginger Registered User regular
    Do we have any information on when the Will Call will be open? I won badges to East and I need to pick them up at the convention, and I've heard of it being open on Thursdays so people can pick badges up in advance of the show. Is that consistently true, and when should I swing by on Thursday to grab my badges? Thanks in advance!

• Options
    rtm416rtm416 NYRegistered User regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    I see a posting for a pre-pax board game night, how about a post-pax one? There was one last year and it was great.

Sorry, I haven't been reading the FAQs! You are welcome to go and play, but the turnout last year was not enough to be worth it for the hotel to host it formally. Also this year they have an event Monday morning, so the tables will be taken down *sometime* Sunday Night.

SK3ozR5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Do we have any information on when the Will Call will be open? I won badges to East and I need to pick them up at the convention, and I've heard of it being open on Thursdays so people can pick badges up in advance of the show. Is that consistently true, and when should I swing by on Thursday to grab my badges? Thanks in advance!
    Previous years Thursday will call has been 2pm-8pm. I would expect similar, if not the same, hours. I haven't heard official times for this year though.