As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Simpsons Marathon is on right now, Let's discuss the show's downfall.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That's neat, but putting an ad for the show at the end is kinda gross

At this point half the challenges are more promotional arms for the person doing it and their movie and not the charity, so it feels kind of unfair to throw this at Fox's feet just because lol Fox.

The Simpsons Movie had sparks of what made it great but as mentioned above, Homer being super dick is not what you hinge the movie on, and the shaman lady and all that wannabe Johnny Cash episode near the end of the second act fell flat. Plus some of the guest spots were bad. I don't need you in the movie, Green Day.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    What I'm finding interesting at this point in the game is that there's a lot of episodes that are widely quoted/referenced that appear outside of that season 2 to season 10 sweet spot than I remembered.

Look, I'm not going to admit I actually watched the later seasons because I don't want to lose that sweet nerd-cred. That's why I only like the middle part of the third season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That's why I say I only play Pong because 1972 was really the year videogames really peaked, man. I can't just start admitting to enjoying stuff without first checking whether it's cool to enjoy it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I think that the Silicon Valley dick joke is better than the Simpsons Movie dick joke, but it is still quite the dick joke.
    which one? I'm having trouble thinking of a Silicon Valley joke that doesn't have a dick in it.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I think that the Silicon Valley dick joke is better than the Simpsons Movie dick joke, but it is still quite the dick joke.
    which one? I'm having trouble thinking of a Silicon Valley joke that doesn't have a dick in it.

The funniest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    In the spirit of the Marathon, I've been pondering my own personal list of my favorite (and hated) episodes, characters and one-liners in the series.

Hope this is appropriate for the thread, but I'll keep it short:

Best Episode: Cape Feare, runner up Itchy and Scratchy Land

Worst Episode: Lisa the Drama Queen

Best Joke: "In fact, I didn't even give you my coat!" followed by "What's a Donut?" (honorable mention: "Where nothing can possiblie go wrong")

Worst Joke: "I say when it's Christmas!" followed by Maggie's Britney Spears number.

Most Consistently Funny Character: Milhouse (followed by Ralph and Gil)

Most Improved Character: Nelson, Superintendent Chalmers

Most Declining Character: Principal Skinner (and, unfortunately, Homer)

Best One-Shot Character: Hank Scorpio, Frank Grimes

Best Guest Star: Leonard Nimoy, Michael Jackson

Worst Guest Star: Stephen Colbert (such a waste), Julian Assange

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Kinda wish I hadn't watched that, since it made me look up ALS and now I'm terrified that I'm gonna get it.

Still, its good they're raising money for it.

People should throw money at all the horrible diseases until they go away.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    That's Supernintendo Chalmers to you

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    my favorite joke is

I'm seeing double! I see four Krustys!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I've always enjoyed jokes that resulted from delayed sentences.

"Let's kill every child....friendly thing in town!"

"Hey Carl, remember when we used to kiss like that....with our respective girlfriends?"

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    My favorite is from the cape fear episode where sideshow bob is being a jackass at the movies and then it pans out to show homer being an even bigger jackass.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think I just logged on to my innernet.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Sorry boys, this fog is so thick I can barely see my own cataracts.

• Options
    That's Supernintendo Chalmers to you

He really has come along as a character, essentially becoming what Skinner used to be: a stuffed shirt faculty member who still gains the respect (and occasional fear) of his peers and students. The Teddie Roosevelt episode with him and Bart was one of the best new episodes in a while.

Skinner, meanwhile, has become too pathetic to be salvaged at this point. They've laid on way too hard about him being a cowardly mamma's boy. The last time he was interesting was during his romance with Edna, but they couldn't even commit to that come wedding day.

Marge has become a lot more likeable in my eyes too, though maybe it's because I've grown old enough to appreciate her role in the family. She's still had some really good one-liners of late.

"Just for that, young man, I'm going to erase all the saves on your Playstation!"

"What!? How do you know about stuff like that!?"

"I got it from this Mother's magazine!"

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Look your pro mop agenda has been known for sometime

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Blue-Haired Lawyer: Principal Skinner, "The Happiest Place on Earth" is a registered Disneyland copyright.
    Principal Skinner: Oh now, gentlemen, it's just a small school carnival.
    Blue-Haired Lawyer: And it's heading for a great big lawsuit. You made a big mistake, Skinner.
    Principal Skinner: Well, so did you. You got an ex-Green Beret mad.
    [he finger-thrusts the first goon in the Adam's Apple, then kicks the lawyer in the chest; they both go down groaning; as the second goon runs away, Skinner picks up the lawyer's briefcase and flings it into the air; in the distance, it knocks down the goon]
    Principal Skinner: Copyright expired.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I think the episode that finally made me stop watching was whichever one had "donkey basketball" in it. No idea what the episode title was, or even which season, but that whole episode was literally just a bunch of random crap happening for no reason, tell me I'm not alone in thinking this?

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Watched some of Season 11 episodes cause I really wanted to watch the Behind the Laughter episode again.

Yeah, that's when things get really bad.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Awww man I loved that episode! Sad I missed it!

But yeah that's probably the last of the great episodes

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It doesn't hold up AT all.

I wonder what some one would think about who had no reference to the original Behind the music, because they do nail that parody.

• Options
    I thought the episode had a lot of funny one-liners.

"It was the best Thanksgiving ever. Emotionally, it was terrible, but the turkey was so moist."

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I think the episode that finally made me stop watching was whichever one had "donkey basketball" in it. No idea what the episode title was, or even which season, but that whole episode was literally just a bunch of random crap happening for no reason, tell me I'm not alone in thinking this?

That's the one that made me realize the writers were hacks and were resorting to lowest common denominator stuff for cheap laughs that don't hold up. It had the most hamfisted way to shoe-in some jokes about Bush-era Iraq War stuff (it was in 2003 I think), and some claptrap about censorship and being locked up with the Dixie Chicks who shot themselves in the foot back then, and even some generic go to France stuff.

You look at Mayor Sideshow Bob or Burns running for Governor, that was such smart political writing.

• Options
    Pretty much any episode parodying American politics have been absurdely unfunny.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    A lot of the bad episodes follow a story structure where the writers have an idea for the "main attraction" and then throw in a ton of little bullshit plots to get things set up for it. Stuff like the aforementioned Grampa becomes a bullfighter episode, the episode where Homer buys an RV, the episode where Bart becomes a jazz drummer, or the episode where they go to Africa. Under scrutiny you can easily walk back the brainstorming process:

"We want this episode to be about Homer buying an RV, what do we need to do to get him to buy one?"
    "How about him and Marge seperating?"
    "Okay, what do they seperate over?"
    "Homer thinks Marge is cheating on him."
    "Okay, who was she cheating on him with?"
    "Kirk?"
    "Why would she cheat on Homer with Kirk?"
    "Well how about she wasn't actually cheating but for some reason Homer thought she was cheating?"
    "Well why would Homer think that?"
    And so on. The longer the chain the crappier the episode.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Pretty much any episode parodying American politics have been absurdely unfunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0aNxzF7MAk

• Options
    That's a segment, not an entire episode!

Smithers, who is this misinformed miscreant?

• Options
    That's a segment, not an entire episode!

Smithers, who is this misinformed miscreant?

Smithers have the rolling Stones killed

• Options
    one of my favorite political moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmylSHuPvg

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular

The sideshow bob mayor one was hilarious.

"No children have ever crossed the Republican Party and lived to tell the tale."

• Options
    A lot of the bad episodes follow a story structure where the writers have an idea for the "main attraction" and then throw in a ton of little bullshit plots to get things set up for it. Stuff like the aforementioned Grampa becomes a bullfighter episode, the episode where Homer buys an RV, the episode where Bart becomes a jazz drummer, or the episode where they go to Africa. Under scrutiny you can easily walk back the brainstorming process:

"We want this episode to be about Homer buying an RV, what do we need to do to get him to buy one?"
    "How about him and Marge seperating?"
    "Okay, what do they seperate over?"
    "Homer thinks Marge is cheating on him."
    "Okay, who was she cheating on him with?"
    "Kirk?"
    "Why would she cheat on Homer with Kirk?"
    "Well how about she wasn't actually cheating but for some reason Homer thought she was cheating?"
    "Well why would Homer think that?"
    And so on. The longer the chain the crappier the episode.

couldn't agree more. Sometime they would spend half the episode setting up the "main attraction"

• Options
    that clip mised the part where the Republcian headquarters was basically Count Dracula's castle

• Options
    hmmm I think you might be thinking of the episode where Sideshow bob ran for Mayor.

• Options
    yes i get those two crossed in my head

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    the episodes in the golden era of simpsons that touched politics at least did it so without making it out and out caustic and/or out of place

I watched one of the season 16? episodes last night (ned leaves springfield because homer made him a laughing stock) and some of the political jokes they dropped were absolute stinkers

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Hens love Roosters
    Geese love Ganders
    Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Homer: NOT ME!

Everyone who counts loves Ned Flanders!

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    the episodes in the golden era of simpsons that touched politics at least did it so without making it out and out caustic and/or out of place

I watched one of the season 16? episodes last night (ned leaves springfield because homer made him a laughing stock) and some of the political jokes they dropped were absolute stinkers

This touches on another problem the more modern Simpsons has had. They've tried too hard to touch on current events/politics/etc when the way the show is written and produced means doing that leads to at the very best a 6 month out of date reference that only gets worse with repeat viewings. Essentially the older shows made jokes about the process in general while the more modern ones make jokes about specific situations instead.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

This touches on another problem the more modern Simpsons has had. They've tried too hard to touch on current events/politics/etc when the way the show is written and produced means doing that leads to at the very best a 6 month out of date reference that only gets worse with repeat viewings. Essentially the older shows made jokes about the process in general while the more modern ones make jokes about specific situations instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC3W1BiUjp0
    Heh heh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArC7XarwnWI
    :neutral_face:

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    Hens love Roosters
    Geese love Ganders
    Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

Homer: NOT ME!

Everyone who counts loves Ned Flanders!

It's like wearing nothing at all
    Nothing at all
    Nothing
    Nothing at all

Stupid sexy Flanders

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lisa: "And now you can go back to being you instead of a one-dimensional character with a silly catch phrase."
    Homer: (smashes a lamp) "D'oh!"
    Bart: "Ay caramba!"
    Marge: *grumbles*
    Maggie: *suck suck*
    Flanders: "Hidely-ho!"
    Barney: *belches*
    Nelson: "Ha Ha!"
    Mr. Burns: "Excellent...!"
    *Everyone stares at Lisa.*
    Lisa: "...if anyone wants me, I'll be in my room."
    Homer: "What kind of a catchphrase is that?"

• Options
    Krusty: Thanks for the danish kid... whats your name?
    Bart: Bart Simpson! I saved you from jail!
    Krusty: uhhhh...
    Bart: I reunited you with your estranged father?
    Krusty: Ummm... uhhh... well I don-
    Bart: I saved your career man! Remember the Krusty comeback special?
    Krusty:... uhhh... yea well What have you done for me lately?
    Bart: I just got you that Danish!
    Krusty: *pats Barts Head* And I'll never forget it

lmao great stuff.