As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Simpsons Marathon is on right now, Let's discuss the show's downfall.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I know it's meant to be a parody but the Bill Plympton couch gag depresses the shit out of me. :(

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Never saw this episode of Bart sabotaging a cruise ship, but it was one of the best I've seen in a long while.

Funny and with a bittersweet ending. This is how every episode should be.

• Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Never saw this episode of Bart sabotaging a cruise ship, but it was one of the best I've seen in a long while.

Funny and with a bittersweet ending. This is how every episode should be.

Yeah, I do remember that being an example of a good later episode. Plus the premise is so remarkable simple it's amazing that they never did it before. Not the cruise ship, but just "Kid sabotages vacation so family can stay on vacation forever." Those are still the best episodes, but it's of course increasingly hard to find premises like that when you've been around for 20 odd years.

• Options
    I think the writers would save us a lot of grief if they stopped trying to make topical episodes.

"Avatar is a big thing, how do we fit that into The Simpsons?"

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I think newer seasons have so many of the topical episodes because it's hard to come up with a normal story that they haven't already done on the show before.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Which could still work as long as the reference isn't the only thing to the story or joke.

For example, does it matter which politician did the "Abortions for some, miniature american flags for all" joke?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I think newer seasons have so many of the topical episodes because it's hard to come up with a normal story that they haven't already done on the show before.

Theres literally hundreds of ways to fix this. The easiest imo is to age Bart Lisa and maggie and give Marge and homer more to do

Maggie being a understandably world weary 4-5 year old opens up a ton of stories of her as a pessimistic kindergarten student
    Lisa and Bart in high school is a chance to introduce new cast members and fix /bus old ones ( maybe kill of Mrs Skinner so Seymour can be reset) and as Teens they wont nessecarily have to act like they used to.

Give Marge a permanent job. why not an Art teacher? Break her thether to the house and the kids

Resetting Homer to well meaning oaf instead of jerkass would be nice.

Families naturally drift apart a bit as time goes on and doing these things would explore that

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I have read that every time someone suggests aging the characters just a little, they are practically tared and feathered from all the disapproving fans.

The writers have always said that if they aged the characters it would only limit their storytelling.

No, dammit, that would be the opposite.

• Options
    Plus some of the later episodes are already written as if Bart and Lisa were older. Like I remember one that revolved around Bart getting a driver's license and a girlfriend in another town. Or something like that?

Allowing even a little aging would really help, imo, but since they won't do it, they're stuck in a place where the only new ideas are "Simpsons do pop-culture thing X"

• Options
    The real hypocrisy is theyve aged Homer and Marge like 3 times

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Plus some of the later episodes are already written as if Bart and Lisa were older. Like I remember one that revolved around Bart getting a driver's license and a girlfriend in another town. Or something like that?

Allowing even a little aging would really help, imo, but since they won't do it, they're stuck in a place where the only new ideas are "Simpsons do pop-culture thing X"

Speaking of Barts love interests I always hoped they'd bring back the Lovejoy daughter

• Options
    zllehs wrote: »

Speaking of Barts love interests I always hoped they'd bring back the Lovejoy daughter

That episode had the best joke ever: http://youtu.be/0OLlqhpWEdw

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yeah, and then we'd get the chair

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That joke is damn good, but this might be my favorite single Simpsons joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0CSzC2y6k

When Homer gets cold and methodical, it works.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    My favorite recurring line is:

Homer to Bart: Why you little...(choke hold)

• Options
    There has been an uncomfortable amount of "Bart got this older girl pregnant!" stories.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I always got a kick out of the jokes where Homer has those super brief flashes of intelligence.

"Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I always got a kick out of the jokes where Homer has those super brief flashes of intelligence.

"Lisa, in this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!"

Along the same lines, it was amusing how the Homer of the early seasons was particularly knowledgeable about the Supreme Court.
    Mrs. K: I believe with persistent discipline, even the poorest student can end up becoming, oh, say, Chief Justice of The Supreme Court.
    Homer: Chief Justice of The Supreme Court. What great men he would join: John Marshall. Charles Evans Hughes. Warren Berger. Hmmmm, Burger...

Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Lisa: Dad, nerds are nothing to fear. In fact, they've done some pretty memorable things. Some nerds of note include...popcorn magnate Orville Redenbacher, rock star David Byrne, and supreme court justice David Souter.
    Homer: [gasp] Oh, not Souter!

• Options
    So many episodes stating how Lisa has no friends.

All conveniently ignore how she's had one friend she constantly hangs out with (Janey).

I was waiting for a reveal episode that Janey was imaginary, but instead it just serves as one of the many forms of inconsistent writing the series takes.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular

Yea I remember the episode where they were teens in the late 70s and the one where they were in their early 20s in the early 90s... What am I forgetting?

• Options
    zllehs wrote: »

Yea I remember the episode where they were teens in the late 70s and the one where they were in their early 20s in the early 90s... What am I forgetting?

Give it another ten years and we'll have a 2000 episode that makes fun of Homer joining the Y2K scare.

Shit....that's actually going to happen, isn't it?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    These last few episodes have been surprisingly good.

Except that Lisa one where
    Marge pays a girl to be her friend
    That's just sad....

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    And it's over. I wonder how many subscribers FXX picked up just for this?

• Options
    So many episodes stating how Lisa has no friends.

All conveniently ignore how she's had one friend she constantly hangs out with (Janey).

I was waiting for a reveal episode that Janey was imaginary, but instead it just serves as one of the many forms of inconsistent writing the series takes.

I hate this. They isolate Lisa so her extreme behavior is "justified" by loneliness but she clearly has friends in and out of springfield.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Well, I already had the channel and didn't know it. Apparently they will continue with a syndication episodes of Simpsons five days a week(mon, tue, wed, fri, sun, if I recall correctly). I'm thinking like for a couple hours each day. So they have a better chance now of me having their commercials in the background while I go about my day.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I didn't even know FXX existed before all this Simpsons talk.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

The joke about Obama promising death panels but Grandpa still being alive was pretty good, at least

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Also, I think one of the things that really strikes home about how bad the show has gotten is the voice acting has gotten really bad

Compare Homer's voice from seasons 3-9 to that clip above. It sounds like a guy trying really hard to emulate Dan Castelleneta's Homer rather than the actual Dan Castellaneta.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Well, people's voices do tend to change when they get older...which creates this rather unpleasant realization that the show won't end until one of the main actors becomes too old (or worse) to do the voices anymore.

In any event, this super early Simpsons intro is blowing my mind. In other syndicated channels it would always play the revised intro when most of the cast was filled out.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I just noticed, are they doing the every simpsons ever marathon again? The channel said every simpsons ever, forever! Could it possibly be so? Could my dream be coming true?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Probably my favorite Simpsons joke:

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I just noticed, are they doing the every simpsons ever marathon again? The channel said every simpsons ever, forever! Could it possibly be so? Could my dream be coming true?

They're done with the "all the time", but their schedule moving forward is insane:
    Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 2, FXX will air nightly blocks of The Simpsons five times a week. On Mondays and Friday, the show will air from 6 p.m.-midnight; on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8 p.m.-midnight; and on Sundays from 4 p.m.-midnight.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/simpsons-teaser-image-futurama-crossover-20140905

Apparently they're doing a crossover ep where bender is a terminator sent to kill Bart

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    A lot of the bad episodes follow a story structure where the writers have an idea for the "main attraction" and then throw in a ton of little bullshit plots to get things set up for it. Stuff like the aforementioned Grampa becomes a bullfighter episode, the episode where Homer buys an RV, the episode where Bart becomes a jazz drummer, or the episode where they go to Africa. Under scrutiny you can easily walk back the brainstorming process:

"We want this episode to be about Homer buying an RV, what do we need to do to get him to buy one?"
    "How about him and Marge seperating?"
    "Okay, what do they seperate over?"
    "Homer thinks Marge is cheating on him."
    "Okay, who was she cheating on him with?"
    "Kirk?"
    "Why would she cheat on Homer with Kirk?"
    "Well how about she wasn't actually cheating but for some reason Homer thought she was cheating?"
    "Well why would Homer think that?"
    And so on. The longer the chain the crappier the episode.

I think it's more that none of their ideas can sustain a whole show or they don't know how to make them sustain a whole show.

An old episode of the simpsons would be like:
    Lead in plot -> A Plot
    with maybe a B Plot on the side

These days they seem like:
    Lead in plot -> 1st Plot -> 2nd Plot -> 3rd Plot -> 4th Plot -> 5th Plot -> 6th Plot -> 7th Plot -> 8th Plot

It's an almost random collection of 3 or 4 joke plot 1 after the other after the other. Celebrity cameos become one of those plots where someone just walks on screen, says a few lines and then disappears and the show moves on to the next thing.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Is there a place to track a show's ratings on a day by day basis? I'd like to see how many people watched in season 5 compared to, say, season 14.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Is there a place to track a show's ratings on a day by day basis? I'd like to see how many people watched in season 5 compared to, say, season 14.
    http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0096697

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Thanks, but I meant as in how many people watched the marathon on a season per season basis.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I wonder how the crossover episode is going to work. Not that canon matters, but they have gone on record multiple times that the shows are actual fictional tv shows in their respective universes, like seeing Bart Simpson dolls in a waste dump on Futurama.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I wonder how the crossover episode is going to work. Not that canon matters, but they have gone on record multiple times that the shows are actual fictional tv shows in their respective universes, like seeing Bart Simpson dolls in a waste dump on Futurama.

Pish posh, Jay Sherman visited Springfield and there's Simpsons junk in Jay's New York.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzTsccYcq9Q

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »
    A lot of the bad episodes follow a story structure where the writers have an idea for the "main attraction" and then throw in a ton of little bullshit plots to get things set up for it. Stuff like the aforementioned Grampa becomes a bullfighter episode, the episode where Homer buys an RV, the episode where Bart becomes a jazz drummer, or the episode where they go to Africa. Under scrutiny you can easily walk back the brainstorming process:

"We want this episode to be about Homer buying an RV, what do we need to do to get him to buy one?"
    "How about him and Marge seperating?"
    "Okay, what do they seperate over?"
    "Homer thinks Marge is cheating on him."
    "Okay, who was she cheating on him with?"
    "Kirk?"
    "Why would she cheat on Homer with Kirk?"
    "Well how about she wasn't actually cheating but for some reason Homer thought she was cheating?"
    "Well why would Homer think that?"
    And so on. The longer the chain the crappier the episode.

I think it's more that none of their ideas can sustain a whole show or they don't know how to make them sustain a whole show.

An old episode of the simpsons would be like:
    Lead in plot -> A Plot
    with maybe a B Plot on the side

These days they seem like:
    Lead in plot -> 1st Plot -> 2nd Plot -> 3rd Plot -> 4th Plot -> 5th Plot -> 6th Plot -> 7th Plot -> 8th Plot

It's an almost random collection of 3 or 4 joke plot 1 after the other after the other. Celebrity cameos become one of those plots where someone just walks on screen, says a few lines and then disappears and the show moves on to the next thing.

This is actually the biggest complaint I have about the later seasons of the show.
    You know how with TV these days, when an episode is either coming up or is on right now, you can hit the little information button on your remote and it gives you a brief primer on the plot of the episode/movie?

Yeah, well. With the Simpons, it's never accurate, because there's like 10 different links in the plot chain going on, the episode summary only focuses on say, the first one, which is quickly done away with in the first couple of minutes and then the episode goes off the rails. This is to the point where I can't succinctly explain the plot of any of the more recent episodes except for a couple of obvious ones like "The Simpsons went to China because Aunt Selma didn't want to just get a cat".

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.