Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

• HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    You seem to be doing a lot of complex, dynamic poses. That's great!

However, you seem to have trouble with heads and faces, particularly eyes. The proportions on a lot of the craniums are off, especially when you attempt them in profile. I would suggest spending a little time with the human skull, maybe a page or two of head studies.

Take a quick look at this page, particularly the side view: http://www.drawninblack.com/2011/12/skull-anatomy-for-artists/

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Tidus53Tidus53 Registered User regular
    Heartlash wrote: »
    You seem to be doing a lot of complex, dynamic poses. That's great!

However, you seem to have trouble with heads and faces, particularly eyes. The proportions on a lot of the craniums are off, especially when you attempt them in profile. I would suggest spending a little time with the human skull, maybe a page or two of head studies.

Take a quick look at this page, particularly the side view: http://www.drawninblack.com/2011/12/skull-anatomy-for-artists/

I admit I've been noticing this a lot lately as well. My style used to be very set in typical Western style to where my focus would be on mimicking reality and with that genuine facial expression. Over time though this became boring to do and I have switched to more stylized face with a lot more character in everything about them. My goal now is to have a style similar to artists like Gashi-gashi, who manage to depict the entire persona of a character in one image then an entire reference shot.

Still it's no excuse to mess up on the fundamentals; thank you very much for your post.

http://imgur.com/a/eQMoU

Link to new stuff

• OllieOllie Registered User regular
    how often do you do studies or draw from reference? Are all of those just sketches drawn straight out of your head?

Also - would you be able to resize your images if you post them directly to the forum?

edited December 2014
    Ollie wrote: »
    how often do you do studies or draw from reference? Are all of those just sketches drawn straight out of your head?

Also - would you be able to resize your images if you post them directly to the forum?

Most of what I learned at that point was basically collaging stuff, and later I just tried to experiment with poses and using my own memory in attempts to just sort of build myself. Lately when it comes to drawing women or certain poses with the arms, back, and legs on males I find myself looking a lot more at either reference images or other people's art. In the long run most of them are from my head though, I guess it's obvious if it can be pointed to.

I only ever look at reference material when I'm unsure or unfamiliar with something. I really just want to try and train myself to be able to recall these things as I draw or lead myself to a style where these kinds of things are moot.

Also, I TOTALLY regret what I did with the images, I always wanted to shrink them I just don't know how; the machinations of forums is Greek to me.

Lastly, the newest link up has the latest stuff that isn't at the size to where you're being assaulted by my mediocrity.

Tidus53 on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Put your original images in a spoiler for you, so the page isnt a pain to load. I suggest you link an imgur gallery but post one or two images in the actual thread so people don't have to click through to comment.

Ollie
  • OllieOllie Registered User regular
    Thanks Iruka!

Tidus, you should definitely try drawing from references to practice your anatomy. Your humans are very very beefy looking, which isn't a bad thing stylistically but they look pretty similar across the board and I don't see much variety. Here's a good starting point: http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/howard-schatz-beverly-ornstein-athlete

I'd also recommend looking up photos of human facial expressions. Try to draw them both realistically and also as exaggerated cartoons.

I understand the desire to try to get things right on your own. It feels like a bigger success if you do it without any assistance. However, ask any experienced artist and you'll get the same answer from all of them: this will only slow your progress down. You might think you're getting something fine or a little off, but you could just be practicing mistakes instead of improving them.

feel free to share your results, but keep drawing after. Draw from photos a lot (preferably stock photos, they won't be Photoshopped into oblivion like you'd see in a fashion magazine) and keep practicing your anatomy.

Irukatapeslinger