As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Right, the [FIGHTING GAMES THREAD] is About to Begin!

THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa!Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geVHBVPagDk

Who's ready to G-G-G-GE-G-GET IT ON? With such games as:

Ultra Street Fighter 4!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39qGusEBYKI

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfuYRxhphvc

King of Fighters XIII!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=309rxytHEgs

Killer Instinct!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5UQs9hsrUU

Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klCRsiOUnt8

Tekkens! Tekkenii?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTm6BV8RT9A

Persona 4: Arena Ultimax!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3EFoT-yvss

BlazBlue: Chronophantasma!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6hOgysWIpw

and MANY MANY MORE! Just better keep in mind, luck works in m-m-m-mysterious ways!

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
THESPOOKY on

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    blazblue and king of fighters got snubbed for killer instinct and uniel?

Boo

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'm planning to edit it! I knew I'd never remember everything off the top of my head.

That's a pretty glaring omission, though. I'll add KoF right away.

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    when's shaq fu

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Isoldae wrote: »

Boo

apparently uniel is the new hotness for real

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    So I was playing Ultra the other day and I joined a match with someone with the gamertag Dai Minh Yon.

I was thinking, "I wonder what that means?"

and then I saw that he was the second ranked Guile on XBL and I went "oh FUCK".

The first round was the single most oppressive experience of my life. I couldn't do shit. But I managed in the second round after losing almost all my life to find some openings to take him down to like 1/3 life, so I felt pretty good about it all told.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    UNIEL is the bomb dot com

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Hooray new fighting games thread!

QgEMZ3p.png

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    speaking of uniel, spooky is currently streaming it

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    I swear to fucking god, seeing a Yun player post about how hard it is to get in without divekicks and how his buttons are mediocre makes me bemoan the future of the FGC.

What happened to doing your own research and learning what your character is actually capable of before you ask to be spoonfed how to approach a matchup?

I'm not even mad about the fact that Yun is demonstrably very strong in this game with awesome buttons. I'm mad because people are spoiled. There is so much information available on how to play a character including high-res video of the best players playing at a high level at your fingertips. Yet folks can't be bothered to do a google search or watch match videos or read character forums or put in effort, and just want the information handed to them.

This is an amazing time for fighting game players. Yes games in general are bad at teaching you how to play, but the internet is full of free. genuinely helpful information on how to play and understand the game/character. You can quite literally see the best of the best from all over the world at work whenever you care to.

I don't exaggerate when i say that I've learned more about SF/Fighting games and gotten better in general from 2009-2014, than in my entire previous history of playing FG's from 1987-2008. Some of that is because I'm older, and more able to grasp the concepts presented, but the majority is because of the exposure to high level play, giving me more awareness of the advanced concepts and seeing the concepts in action via streams and videos, supplemented by forums and FAQS.

The internet has made it so that anybody playing fighting games now can exponentially improve themselves and their understanding of the game through the information available to anyone. No more huddling around old VHS tapes or hearing about that guy at that one arcade's strats third-hand. Seeing players still want to have things just handed to them just makes me into a complete curmudgeon. /rant

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    So I was playing Ultra the other day and I joined a match with someone with the gamertag Dai Minh Yon.

I was thinking, "I wonder what that means?"

and then I saw that he was the second ranked Guile on XBL and I went "oh FUCK".

The first round was the single most oppressive experience of my life. I couldn't do shit. But I managed in the second round after losing almost all my life to find some openings to take him down to like 1/3 life, so I felt pretty good about it all told.

i recently got into watching speedrunning, and there's this speedrunner who's really good at mega man and started to learn SFIV, and apparently dieminion is a fan and stops into his stream to run sets and help him from time to time

dieminion seems like a super cool dude

also gj

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I got rekt by dieminion round 1 of marvel pools last GUTS

but he was indeed cool

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I have those same Yun problems, so I expect a lot of people who are complaining about Yun being UP are also bad at fighting games/aren't used to characters that behave the way he does

that said, even I know how to get in for free. QCF LP+MP

• Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Isoldae wrote: »

Boo

apparently uniel is the new hotness for real

Yeah but uniel has a real dumb name.

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

that said, even I know how to get in for free. QCF LP+MP

This is exactly what I told him and it still wasn't good enough.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    uniel should clearly be unibel

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Shaquille Uniel is the real Shaq Fu 2.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    So I've watched Maxamillan Dood stream for like... maybe 40 minutes now, and he's already gotten about $500 in donations from randoms on twitch without actually asking for anything.

I kind of wonder how he does so much better than other FGC streamers, Pr Rog doesn't do as well, neither does Arturo.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Brolo wrote: »
    So I've watched Maxamillan Dood stream for like... maybe 40 minutes now, and he's already gotten about $500 in donations from randoms on twitch without actually asking for anything.

I kind of wonder how he does so much better than other FGC streamers, Pr Rog doesn't do as well, neither does Arturo.

hype

Max is the Slurmz McHypezie of the FGC

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

hype

Max is the Slurmz McHypezie of the FGC

also his youtube channel has like 100k+ subscribers

• Options
    I think that youtube/twitch personalities hit a critical mass in their fandom wherein at a certain point, people give just to give, or feel more a part of the fanbase. Especially if the streamer runs the banners/tickers with recent donors etc. People enjoy being seen, having their name up there.

As to why Max as opposed to say PR Rog? Well Max has been building his more mainstream/casual brand for a looong time now. He also did stuff Like CoD and other popular games. His fanbase may not be super good at SF/Marvel/KI etc, but they enjoy his schtick and they also tend to be the demographic that subscribes and donates often to get that shoutout for the streamer. They tend to be a much larger demo than "serious" FG players/monsters who would tune in to PR Rog.

Rog hasn't been streaming/making content for as long or at the same level as Max has. Max has crafted his product carefully over a long time, and while it's not for everyone, a lot of people enjoy it and want to be a part of it.

• Options
    Also, Max doesn't just stream, he produces Video Content, which is not something a lot of other FGC people do--Gootegs & Twitch Cop are another anomaly

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    ANIME SKELETON CONFIRMED FOR ULTIMAX DLC

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ANIME SKELETON CONFIRMED FOR ULTIMAX DLC

elaborate

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    i still don't understand

P10 on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i still don't understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3zEqYIK18k

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i dont really like max

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    P10 on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I respect his hustle and he seems like a genuinely nice guy

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Anyone want to come murder my Gouken on XBL?

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i'm horrible at fighting games (i could get less horrible if i had more time) but watching Max play KI or asura's wrath is just excellent times

especially when i'm neck-deep in shit i have to do, watching someone else have a genuinely fantastic time is really fun, even if my schedule doesn't allow me to catch him live.

i wanna order a GET HYPE shirt

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Yata tourney live from Super Arcade

Juzu better not win or I'll be sad

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Man, the game was sped up. Those Chaddas were on crack.

EDIT: Yatagarasu powered by Alienware.

Pou-pou-pou!

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    One day a Yata tournament will be won by a Shimo player who knows more than just low into DP

Not today though it seems

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Shimo or Hina? Hina is the one doing the DPs.

EDIT: No one is playing Jyozomaru. :(

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    hey, those aren't dps from Hina

they're flash kicks.

• Options
    Yeah, Hina is more like Guile. Shimo channels the spirit of Hibiki.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Wut? Didn't Diar need another match?

Valle at least got 300 bucks. Diar got 500.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Nah, finals was still FT2, that extra bracket was for if Diar got the reset which he did

This discussion has been closed.