As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphics Interchange Format (NSF56k/mobile)

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    One reading is that your daughter did meth and is now a prostitute. The other is that you did meth and are pimping out your daughter for meth. The photo of the 12 year old just adds on to the whole thing. (I'm just ignoring the 'sweet trade bro' flashing)

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That's not even the worse one of those by far either. One implies not that selling yourself for meth is bad, but that you'll charge a much lower price than "usual"

Uh yeah of course. Meth means you stay awake longer which means you can serve more clients within a 24 hour period. Selling higher volumes of product pretty much always means cheaper prices. So yet another great reason to do meth. More productivity and greater sales that allow you to pass the savings on to your customers.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    it's a stupid gif and in incredibly poor taste

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah the gif is kind of dumb but the underlying sentiment of the ad is atrocious in way worse ways

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    This is a good idea for a new Google feature.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    The preliminary questions are killing me.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Alternately, add in a "I read in an article" button.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BeE2wFY.gif

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

• Options

• Options
    x4ukEJq.gif

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Cross-posting because this deserves to be in both threads.
    I know links are not as good as embedded .gifs....but trust me, you should click this one.

http://i.imgur.com/KLRFDqF.gifv

OMG.

• Options

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

hahahahaha

and then the slow shift off-camera. Oh man.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    tumblr_njly83gmRn1tcuj64o1_400.gif

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    tumblr_njly83gmRn1tcuj64o1_400.gif

sera pls

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    After weeks of trying to get actors to properly coil cables, that image actually just sort of makes me angry

• Options
    TIL

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The worst part is they try.

They're honestly just trying to help.

They hand me these cables and they've worked so hard for so long to coil them. And it does save me some time, and it's great that they're working to help tech.

And then the next day 3 our of every 4 cables lie straight without knots and are great, and are easy to deal with.

And then that one special cable is a horrible tangle of knots that I don't even know where they learned to coil it but seriously how is it this knotted.

It's ok. By this weekend I'll be on a permanent setup(well, permanent through the end of the run) through a wonderful theatre-wide setup with a bunch of patch bays and internal wiring and a wonderful board to route and program. And then I can set everything up right, tape it, route it, and then happy place

Khavall on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    The worst part is they try.

They're honestly just trying to help.

They hand me these cables and they've worked so hard for so long to coil them. And it does save me some time, and it's great that they're working to help tech.

And then the next day 3 our of every 4 cables lie straight without knots and are great, and are easy to deal with.

And then that one special cable is a horrible tangle of knots that I don't even know where they learned to coil it but seriously how is it this knotted.

It's ok. By this weekend I'll be on a permanent setup(well, permanent through the end of the run) through a wonderful theatre-wide setup with a bunch of patch bays and internal wiring and a wonderful board to route and program. And then I can set everything up right, tape it, route it, and then happy place

Khavall do you watch Giant Bomb?

If not what do you think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ujJ7KxAq7Q

I thought it seemed pretty great and was gonna try it next time I'm cleaning up cable's around the house.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I learnt a sweet tip for cables tonight, spotted it in the electrical van that was doing some work next door.

Old toilet paper and paper towel rolls, just once cable was bundled he tossed them into an empty one, so no cross tangling

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    I do watch GB! In fact am a subscriber.

I'm of two minds of that video.

On the one hand, that's what I do with my monoprice headphones. Those headphones are $5. There are a lot of applications for that method. If you're trying to preserve space, for instance. Or if the value of the convenience of identifying and storing cables is greater than the cost of the cables themselves. There are definite advantages to the method and with an argument for it, an audio professional could convince me that the method was worth it, on a case by case basis. That method saves space and makes cables really convenient, at the cost of cable life. If you have a shit-ton of cables to organize, and you can replenish the cables if you need to, then that's a great system.

On the other hand that method drastically reduces the life of the cable. And if that wasn't bad enough, it will also make whatever the working environment for the studio is a living hell within, like, twice. The two reasons you coil are 1: Cables can effectively last forever if properly cared for, and 2: Routing the physical cables can be a major pain the ass, especially if you're dealing with more experimental or devised setups(Obviously in a studio this isn't an issue) and you store your cables this way. If I am trying to tape my cables and make sure that they align with the lighting control cable(XLR) and the lighting extension cable(...just an extension cable I guess?), or even just taping them in a setup, this is a nightmare. Today I had to crawl under risers because I'm doing a show with a surround setup for the stage, and I needed to route cables. I will have to tear that setup down in a few days when I move to the real board. Having the cables lie flat is absolutely essential to having the routing work easily. If the cables weren't properly coiled, I would've had to spend much more time under the risers trying to fix stupid kinks and crimps.

If CBS is footing the bill, and GB has a bunch of cables that they need to organize, and they need to save on space, and CBS is fine with them buying new cables when they need to, and they don't need to worry about the gracefulness of cables when being used, then that method is fine. If you personally are willing to buy new cables every once in a while, and you don't care if whatever space you're using has cables galore, then that method is fine.

Ultimately though, I only have one place to come down on that video:
    If I was ever seen using University or Company cables in that way, I'd be instantly fired. If I ever saw someone who was working under me doing that to cables, I would either immediately terminate them myself or ask for it. If I was training someone who did that, I would immediately pull them aside, correct them, and watch them coil until I knew they understood. If a student I was working with was doing anything other than the standard over-under, I would immediately correct them. If they were in a technical class that involved care of cables(such as Sound, Communications, Technical Theatre), I would inform their Professor. Depending on how technical the class was, that might fail them itself.

That technique is great for organizing home cables, or disposable cables. It's great for headphones, it's great for USB cables, it's great for any generic cable that is <$2 on Monoprice. I use it often.
    If you ever walk into a studio or professional sound setup and use that technique, you will be properly kicked out immediately. XLRs, 1/4", etc.... Counter-coil. Over-under. French-coil. Whatever you want to call it, properly coil.

He's really right that if you don't coil cables in a studio or any professional situation, you will be properly kicked out.

• Options
    I learnt a sweet tip for cables tonight, spotted it in the electrical van that was doing some work next door.

Old toilet paper and paper towel rolls, just once cable was bundled he tossed them into an empty one, so no cross tangling

That's a great technique.

Also, if the setup is going to be at all even remotely permanent, use tape.

Electrical tape is great at semi-temporarily binding cables. And it's easy to remove.

If you're worried about residue, use Gaffer's tape.

Oh!

Also, fun trick.

Tie in a single knot a length of cord around one of the ends of a cable. After coiling it, tie a bow around the whole coil. This will preserve the coil and allow easy access.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tie in a single knot a length of cord around one of the ends of a cable. After coiling it, tie a bow around the whole coil. This will preserve the coil and allow easy access.

This, but with velcro ties.

• Options

This, but with velcro ties.

Oh that is so much better

Do that.

Man, why am I just using basically whatever is in between string and rope.

That's so much better

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Thanks duder!

I don't think I own any cables that cost more than $5 since I switched all my consoles to HDMI a few years back, so I'll probably give it a shot.

My dad has a massive pile of tiny zip ties I've been using for organizing cables that are in use and don't need to be moved ever. There's something satisfying about getting a bunch of stuff nice and neat and zipping em together.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    pJzl7yl.gif
    viO1jFw.gif
    gjrbtKi.gif

• Options
    Magical nazi metal?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    tumblr_n0g4zdCPQU1sn75h6o1_500.gif

• Options
    Weeeeeeeeeee

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    pJzl7yl.gif
    viO1jFw.gif
    gjrbtKi.gif

What the heck are these from?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Ah, you beat me to it!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    That is the best.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    holy fucking shit

everybody pack up

we're done here

we can go

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Where is that from?

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I didn't realize it was a vine, so didn't turn on the sound, and was looking at it, "... ok?"
    Goddamn, sound makes all the difference!

This discussion has been closed.