As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Some sort of mobile fighting game was released today that looks to have all the different costumes and what have you. Noticed it in the App Store but didn't download it.

i've been playing it!

it's fine, it's similar to injustice/clash of champions/mortal kombat mobile except it's ability based and cooldown heavy

i'm playing with the black wild force ranger and mopping up

the character currently at the end of the unlock tree is the red psycho ranger, which is kinda great

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Some sort of mobile fighting game was released today that looks to have all the different costumes and what have you. Noticed it in the App Store but didn't download it.

i've been playing it!

it's fine, it's similar to injustice/clash of champions/mortal kombat mobile except it's ability based and cooldown heavy

i'm playing with the black wild force ranger and mopping up

the character currently at the end of the unlock tree is the red psycho ranger, which is kinda great

I might have to pick that up

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    It's...man
    It uses a monetization system common to western gachas that even I find exploitative

• Options
    It's...man
    It uses a monetization system common to western gachas that even I find exploitative

thats a bummer, though honestly I've never played a gacha of any kind I didn't think was super gross monetarily

I just wanna be a power ranger for a little bit

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I liked the movie a hell of a lot!

sig.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Any indications so far on how kid-friendly the movie is? I'm thinking of taking my 6 year old nephew to this.

Being Power Rangers, I'd assume the answer would be "quite", but I guess I've been wrong with this sort of thing before.

Veldrin light swearing, one kinda jump scare with Rita, but nothing TOO intense
    yeah Veldrin after watching it, its about on the level of violence and swearing as the 1990 TMNT movie, so let that be your guide

Ahh, got it. Thanks guys!

I'm going to go catch a session of this shortly.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    What would the plan even be for the sequels

2: tommy
    3: zedd
    4: ...master vile?
    5: machine empire
    6: divatox?
    7: in space?

2: Green With Evil Part 1
    3: Green With Evil Part 2
    4: Green With Evil Part 3
    5: Green With Evil Part 4
    6: Green With Evil Part 5
    7: Zedd

Hey, if the new guy can do Tommy's evil laugh, I'm game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4FXjp23SPU

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    My only question is: How will istommyevil.com update to reflect a simultaneous evil movie Tommy and good show Tommy

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I liked the genesis fighting game...,

Have they made any Sentai games since Power Rangers come out, I've never seen any.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Saw it with a packed theater, some spoilers but it was really good!
    They did the right thing and made the five kids focus, and you know what? I liked them all! Billy got the most laughs and aw's in my screen, but pretty much everyone reacted positively for all the main character beats. The Ranger/Zord action is brief, but this movie is NOT Transformers, or done without heart.

What I was a fan of:

All of the five kids are really, damn good and have natural chemistry. I cared about this budding super team in a way that's hard to put into words.

The Ranger suits and Zord designs look much better in motion than pictures. Still a bit too sparkly, but I can see that they were going for an "alien" asthetic while still maintaining the old suit features (I hated the alternate versions previewed)

Elizabeth Banks has a lot of fun yukking it up as Rita.

The action was very short, too short I would argue, and there could have been a few "unsuited" fights against Putties or what not, but those are minor complaints.

One thing I did love was doing the obvious, USING Zords AGAINST footsoldiers. The rest of the team is fighting and doing fine, but Zack is all "hang on a sec, guys, let's wrap this- DAKAAKAKAKAKA."

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh man, this was a good good super fun movie.

I loved just how genuinely caring and hopeful the whole feel of the movie was throughout.

Re: Trini
    I was so worried that they were going to do the tired old temptation trope with her when Rita showed up at her house, but then she was all "YO GUYS UM RITA ROCKED UP AT MY PLACE SO SHE IS REAL AND KINDA SUCKS HEY" like straight away and I was all "heck yeah, nice".

Also
    When they finally all got their Zords and the Power Rangers theme started playing it was SO GOOFY but I was 110% on board and grinning super hard.

ALSO
    The slap bit at the start cracked me up so much. Then when they revisited it after LITERALLY SLAPPING RITA INTO SPACE I was so happy.

And while I understand that there are some legitimate issues that folks have with Billy's portrayal, I thought he was honestly the best and my favourite character in the movie. He was just so lovely and adorable and the true heart of what the Rangers are.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Billy is
    the MVP of the movie for sure

I love his brave friendship with Jason

they're good good boys

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Whoa hold up a minute

Super Nintendo had a Power Rangers fighting game and it was good and had four different Megazords playable?

After the shit I played because I had a Genesis???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxQcx9fFBVY

"Jesus would be mad if he had to fight Ivan Ooze."

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I still think
    Jason David Frank should straight up be a villain in one of the movies. Imagine Zed doing a sick KYAH while kicking some rangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuGpZTKerks
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see Power Rangers having that kind of staying power.

Like, I kind of see THIS movie as a novelty thing.

They wanna do 7 of them? Good luck with that.

I don't know if the movie will do well enough justify sequels.

But I also don't know if we should really question the staying power of a franchise that's been on the air for more than 20 years.

And honestly, Beauty's popularity might end up helping the movie. As long as it doesn't completely bomb, they can claim it's a success- after all, who would blame them for coming in second to a Disney kids movie?

That's the brilliant part of all this -- if it doesn't perform well, they just say it's because they didn't have Tommy, but they'll fix that next time, by golly!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I liked the genesis fighting game...,

So did I, when I was a wee baby child! But I would have liked the Super Nintendo one much more

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The Sega Genesis was a mistake

you're a mistake

these are not mutually exclusive

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I still think
    Jason David Frank should straight up be a villain in one of the movies. Imagine Zed doing a sick KYAH while kicking some rangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuGpZTKerks
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see Power Rangers having that kind of staying power.

Like, I kind of see THIS movie as a novelty thing.

They wanna do 7 of them? Good luck with that.

I don't know if the movie will do well enough justify sequels.

But I also don't know if we should really question the staying power of a franchise that's been on the air for more than 20 years.

And honestly, Beauty's popularity might end up helping the movie. As long as it doesn't completely bomb, they can claim it's a success- after all, who would blame them for coming in second to a Disney kids movie?

That's the brilliant part of all this -- if it doesn't perform well, they just say it's because they didn't have Tommy, but they'll fix that next time, by golly!

I mean JDF should have been Zordon imo. He's always been a big part of the franchise and Brain Cranston is kind of wasted on the role.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I thought Cranston was great and though I love jdf he could notbhave sold alien in the same way

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I don't think JDF
    could have been as much of a dick as Cranston as Zordon

I don't know if TWA spoiled my way of thinking or if the screenwriters tried watching the MMPR series and reached the same conclusions as you guys, but Zordon is a bad mentor

also, probably a bad team leader

but he has to make do, same as the teenagers

Jason David Frank can do evil just fine, but probably not asshole

not as well as Cranston anyway

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I don't know if I could handle Zordon making Tommy-Karate noises every time he moves his head from one side of the wall to the other

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    god damn that was a good movie

very camp

but tasteful

A- if you liked power rangers as a kid you'll feel like a kid again

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I thought Cranston was great and though I love jdf he could notbhave sold alien in the same way

I mean its Zordon. A distinct voice and inflection is all he needs

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Went to see this with some buddies last night. Was amazed that they had like, just the perfect amount of cheese. Like, any more and it would have been too cheesy (even for a MMPR movie), but any less and the movie would have risked going too grim dark.
    They must have had a cheese connoisseur on staff to make sure there was just the perfect amount of cheese at play.

I did like them crushing the Camaro, though I kind of wish they hadn't commented on it immediately afterwards.
    Don't explain the joke guys. The audience for this movie would get it.

Also, took a little bit of effort not to clap just a bit when Jason dropped "It's morphin' time". Tell me I'm not alone in that.

• Options
    I don't think JDF
    could have been as much of a dick as Cranston as Zordon

I don't know if TWA spoiled my way of thinking or if the screenwriters tried watching the MMPR series and reached the same conclusions as you guys, but Zordon is a bad mentor

also, probably a bad team leader

but he has to make do, same as the teenagers

Jason David Frank can do evil just fine, but probably not asshole

not as well as Cranston anyway
    TWA's headcanon Zordon is now canon Zordon. I could not stop thinking that during the movie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Does the movie have the radbug?

I know it doesn't goddammit but is there a radbug?

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options

No
    Yes.

Billy has a shitty beige van which I'm choosing to believe he named the Radbug.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I mean billy does drive a minivan

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    this was a very good movie and I liked it

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

No
    Yes.

Billy has a shitty beige van which I'm choosing to believe he named the Radbug.
    It even flies a few dozen yards!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Okay, so: I liked this movie a bunch! I'm struggling to really put my finger on why, but I think the best thing I can say is that it's a modern re-imagining of the original show that isn't actually ashamed of its source material. I won't say it's better, because I'm not prepared to even compare them, but it's very smart about what it chooses to modernize and what it brings in...basically direct from the old show.

One thing: judging by the pre-release press and reaction about Trini:
    I thought it was going to be a lot more vague and tossed off, that she wasn't straight, but it's pretty clear what she's talking about (and Zack straight up asking if it's "girlfriend troubles," makes it less like they're playing coy with it and more like she's still struggling with it herself. It's not, like, something worth throwing a parade for, but it's a good character beat, and it's given the same weight as any other backstory reveal from any of the other characters, in that it's clearly important to her but it's not the only defining character trait.

In all, the movie is a lot smarter than I would have expected going in, even taking into account the goofier stuff that happens at the climax.

• Options
    Okay, so: I liked this movie a bunch! I'm struggling to really put my finger on why, but I think the best thing I can say is that it's a modern re-imagining of the original show that isn't actually ashamed of its source material. I won't say it's better, because I'm not prepared to even compare them, but it's very smart about what it chooses to modernize and what it brings in...basically direct from the old show.

One thing: judging by the pre-release press and reaction about Trini:
    I thought it was going to be a lot more vague and tossed off, that she wasn't straight, but it's pretty clear what she's talking about (and Zack straight up asking if it's "girlfriend troubles," makes it less like they're playing coy with it and more like she's still struggling with it herself. It's not, like, something worth throwing a parade for, but it's a good character beat, and it's given the same weight as any other backstory reveal from any of the other characters, in that it's clearly important to her but it's not the only defining character trait.

In all, the movie is a lot smarter than I would have expected going in, even taking into account the goofier stuff that happens at the climax.

Trini
    immediately after giving a speech about how she can't stand her parents only seeing labels, I appreciate that she doesn't immediately label herself

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Man the good parts of this where really good and the dumb parts where really dumb

Which I guess makes this a pretty faithful adaptation

• Options
    the dumb parts were INCREDIBLY dumb and they were also in a very specific category of dumb that kind of surprised me!
    like, straight up playing the go go power rangers song as the zords are all running by was BOLD and I don't know if I liked it but I sure as shit respected the chutzpah

• Options
    the dumb parts were INCREDIBLY dumb and they were also in a very specific category of dumb that kind of surprised me!
    like, straight up playing the go go power rangers song as the zords are all running by was BOLD and I don't know if I liked it but I sure as shit respected the chutzpah
    It was too short. Made it feel like they weren't fully committing to it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    Anybody want Krispy Kreme, I've got the strangest craving for it all of the sudden.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I feel like the main thing stopping me from upgrading my opinion of this movie from "meh" to "good enough" is the climax.

Had they stuck the landing and delivered a really good final confrontation I think my overall impression would be more positive.

But I found it to be very underwhelming, brief, dull, and uninspired.

Which I guess you could argue is true to the series.

• Options
    I'm not surprised I liked it

I AM surprised it didn't feel ashamed of itself, because the trailers made it look like it did

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Now that i'm at my computer and can actually type
    I guess the thing i did not expect out of this was that the bits where they where actually talking about and doing Power Ranger stuff was kind of the least interesting part?

The main reason for that is the fact that the pacing was real messy and they where trying to do way too much at once as far as exposition in those scenes,
    but the movie is at it's best when it decided to slow down

I genuinely wish the movie had been longer, because i think they could have really landed it if it was!