As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mighty Morphin Power Thread: where we of course talk about TMNT

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Austin St. John (the original red ranger) indicted on charges of... lots and lots of fraud.

Take that, 90s childhood!

:(

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/power-rangers-actor-charged-with-covid-19-fraud/ar-AAXwBuK
    A '90s actor who starred in the hit TV show "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" has been charged with perpetuating a scheme to defraud the U.S. government of CARES Act funds, according to the Department of Justice.

Austin St. John, who played the red Power Ranger on the show, which aired from 1993 to 1995, was one of 18 charged with filing fraudulent applications for loans from the Paycheck Protection Program, and transferring them to the two ringleaders of the scheme.

St. John, whose real name is Jason Geiger, allegedly obtained more than $400,000 in fraudulent PPP loans and transferred them to a co-defendant, not for the purposes of using the loans as they were intended. Each of the defendants faces up to 20 years in prison, according to the DOJ.

The Justice Department named Michael Hill and Andrew Moran as the alleged leaders of the scheme.

"Hill is alleged to have recruited co-conspirators to use an existing business or create a business to submit applications to obtain PPP funding," according to a Justice Department press release. "Once enlisted, Moran is alleged to have assisted his co-conspirators with the application paperwork, including fabricating supporting documentation and submitting the application through the online portals."

Court documents allege that St. John transferred $421,000 in fraudulently obtained PPP loans to Hill's bank account.

In total, the defendants allegedly scammed the government out of $3.5 million.

In a statement St. John's lawyer said he plead not guilty.

"An indictment is not evidence of guilt," David Klaudt a lawyer representing St. John said. "All defendants are presumed innocent and Mr. St. John intends to vigorously defend himself against this allegation."

Red-handed?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    What's weird is the indictment had "a.k.a. The Red Ranger" on it.

That makes me wonder if he used that on a legal document somewhere, or if whoever wrote the indictment was just a fan.

I mean, you wouldn't indict Michael Keaton with "a.k.a. Betelgeuse" or "a.k.a. Batman."

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    At least it's not sexual misconduct.

Or, you know, murder.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    At least it's not sexual misconduct.

Or, you know, murder.

Nonono it's way worse.

Medina was only sentenced to 6 years in prison for voluntary manslaughter and was released after 3.

Meaaaaanwhile according to the article St. John could face up to 20 because he defrauded the government.

I think the worse criminal is clear here.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    The US judicial system?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I mean ASJ is an outspoken antivaxxer and he defrauded a covid relief fund sooooooo

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Here's how things will play in Cosmic Fury. I can understand them going this route...

OxYmbr9.jpg

...as Kyuranger was a BIG team and it'd probably would go smoother keeping it to the usual 5-6 lineup. I am curious though how the Zords will be divided up between the members.

Also, a very good get in guest stars for the 30th Anniversary Special.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    New original suits sound interesting, maybe it doubles as practice for the season after that where they completely separate from Sentai.

• Options
    Wait, was KyuRanger the one with that really awesome clip a while back where the mecha and giant monsters were fighting in the background and the Rangers in the foreground, with stuff from one affecting the other?

It would be a huge shame to lose that.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Wait, was KyuRanger the one with that really awesome clip a while back where the mecha and giant monsters were fighting in the background and the Rangers in the foreground, with stuff from one affecting the other?

It would be a huge shame to lose that.

That was Kiramager. They had some nice camerawork in that series.

https://youtu.be/rJ1QclHIF1k

EDIT: Found it.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Incredible stuff...

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • Options
    waiting for it to be confirmed by a credible source, which is taking a surprisingly long time if it's true

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

The guy who played Zack is saying it too so looking like it might be true.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    This news is hitting me much harder than I thought it could

I was never the biggest Tommy or green ranger fan, not really...

But power rangers was a huge part of my childhood and he was a huge part of that so it's hard to think that one of your childhood heroes could go this way

Like you all know I've struggled with mental health issues my entire life, you know I lost my step father to suicide in my teens, this is legit rough.

I want you to know I love all of you very much, please if you are suffering don't do so I'm silence I can promise you you aren't alone.

I'm going to go get that semicolon tattoo I've been meaning to get next month.

• Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Jesus that news is so unreal think that the first celebrity death this year to really affect me

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    When JDF was in town for a con he went wind tunneling with my best friend. My wife was a huge Power Rangers fan, and when my friend mentioned it JDF immediately posed for a cell photo and asked him to pass on his appreciation for her fanhood.

Pretty sad today.

R-dem on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Damn, saw this on twitter last night and was hoping it was bullshit.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just saw this. It’s absurd how many of the people I’ve grown up with have died by suicide.

• Options
    I'm just gonna copy-paste what I wrote on twitter if that's okay with yall:

my love for power rangers comes far less from watching it as a kid and far more spending years on a rewatch podcast with friends, one that's had a huge positive impact on my life

but experiencing MMPR that way, as an adult, has made my relationship with Tommy Oliver, the character, and Jason David Frank, the actor, a bit weird.

I don't see a cool karate guy playing a superhero, I see a well-meaning goober making his bones playing a sad sack teenager who bumbled his way into getting the best toys, and is always late to the action because he's at karate practice, and the Zyuranger footage necessitates that the green ranger is MIA for the first half of the monster fight.

I see him lose his powers because he's going to star in another show, the pilot for what became VR Troopers, and then when that doesn't work he comes back as the white ranger because we NEED to use this Zord footage from Dairanger.

I see his awkward Dear John letter from Kimberly, Kat showing up and replacing her, the collar-tugging Native American stuff, and him just kind of being checked out in early Turbo because JDF was ready to move on with his life.

Knowing where the show goes, seeing the strings, and watching the show one week at a time really changed the show for me. I was openly tired of Tommy by the time he left. But man, the show really was better for his being there. Tommy was fun.

...except during Turbo. They maybe should have brought TJ and company in sooner.

Anyway, all of that to say, I've been harsh on JDF over the years on Teenagers With Attitude, and I stand by everything I've said, but man, no one deserves whatever it was he was fighting.

Rest in peace.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Between him and Kevin Conroy, the cornerstones of my childhood are fading away.

It’s so sad. I don’t know what he was going through, but I hope he can at least find peace on the other side.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    hadn’t posted for a while, but heard about JDF hoping it wasn’t true, and i remembered this thread.

dammit.

i initially thought it weird for JDF to be so all in on his ranger acting background, but i got it later on. he fully leaned into it while appreciating the fans who loved his work. i think watching a lot of the Sentai shows and knowing the history there (especially the reunion special/Gokaiger-type stuff) helped me understand a lot what JDF was doing. it was basically the American version of Super Sentai’s self refentialness.

with this and Kevin Conroy passing, like @LockedOnTarget, these are huge parts of childhood memories lost for me, too.

i hope you all are doing ok. pleases reach out to anyone, to me, to friends, family if you need help or are in a spot.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, I looked up to the Green Ranger so much that I tried to convince everyone at school to call me Tommy.

My wife and I went to a convention where he was appearing and we waited through an hour line just to see him and say hello. (I also told him about my wife's childhood crush on him, which she definitely appreciated.) We didn't have anything to sign, so he signed a couple of his My Mighty Morphin' Life promo cards and just gave them to us.

My wife told me the news today and it felt like a genuine gut punch. I hate this so, so much.

Rest in peace, man.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Why do I keep seeing people talk about this as if it was a suicide? Is it just that he was only 49?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2022
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Why do I keep seeing people talk about this as if it was a suicide? Is it just that he was only 49?

Everything I heard was saying it was a suicide.

This was on TMZ which is reporting suicide

“ Sources with direct knowledge tell us his death was the result of suicide.”

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It was reported as being suicide. That’s all the details we really know.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Ah. I usually don't make a habit of clicking through to tabloid sites, so all I've seen was the official accounts. Which, to be fair, I think "please respect the family's wishes for privacy at this time" is usually a phrase that points that way.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    TMZ's reporting was tasteless, as usual

• Options
    TMZ is a garbage rag made by garbage people but their reporting on celebrity deaths is, if nothing else, reliably fast and accurate

only because doing otherwise could land them in legal hot water, mind you, but nonetheless if they say it was a suicide we have no reason to doubt it

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    TMZ is a garbage rag made by garbage people but their reporting on celebrity deaths is, if nothing else, reliably fast and accurate

only because doing otherwise could land them in legal hot water, mind you, but nonetheless if they say it was a suicide we have no reason to doubt it

Being the "fastest and most accurate source for celebrity deaths" doesn't really seem like a great thing to be known for.
    Really just seems like a reinforcement of the garbage rag by garbage people assessment.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Being the "fastest and most accurate source for celebrity deaths" doesn't really seem like a great thing to be known for.
    Really just seems like a reinforcement of the garbage rag by garbage people assessment.

that is accurate and I will not dispute it

• Options
    Oh yeah, the only time I end up on TMZ is when a celebrity dies or does something newsworthy and that’s usually because it’s always one of the first results when I google

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, the only time I end up on TMZ is when a celebrity dies or does something newsworthy and that’s usually because it’s always one of the first results when I google

It's a tabloid website named for a notorious anti-labor policy in Hollywood. There is no way it would be anything good.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

It's a tabloid website named for a notorious anti-labor policy in Hollywood. There is no way it would be anything good.

TIL about the "thirty-mile zone." That's fucked up.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The official PR account on Twitter posted a well done memoriam:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Billy/David Yost's 1000 yard stare is freaking me the hell out in that thumbnail.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I liked Dino Fury quite a lot, it's wild to have a returning cast in Power Rangers again. Also didn't see Amelia becoming the Red Ranger coming, neat.

• Options
    I get the feeling Cosmic Fury went with all-new costumes specifically to have the franchise’s first main character female Red.

I’m really looking forward to it—Dino Fury’s second season was quite good, and returning to an ongoing narrative is a welcome surprise. That’s what allowed the Zordon Era to be more than the sum of its parts.