I've been working at this job slightly over 3 months (barely.) and it's gotten to a boiling point for me. It's not easy finding a good paying job where I live in BC, the cost of living here is very high, and the average pay is not. That is neither here nor there though.
I quit my old job because I was barely scraping by, i got a new job that seeemed too good to be true, doing basically the same work but for a fairly significant pay increase (I am a suchef.). This new job seemed good, the interview went well, ect, they let me put in my last 2 weeks for my old job without a fuss (It's surprising how many places asked me to quit my other job immediately for even a chance to work.) but then i started the job and things went downhill immediately...
Firstly my first day there, the head chef told me he was going to "ride me so hard" because i worked for this restaurants direct competition for the past 2 years, "uh oh" red flag i thought, and I was right but it was too late to turn back now. I will make this short and sweet though, and just list off some of the awful shit I have had to deal with so far:
- Being told I am not allowed to use the washroom during any service hours, and when I did a few times I was yelled at and had my job threatened.
- Being told I am not allowed to take breaks - at all -, I often work 10 to 10 1/2 hours straight on the cooking line (I have never taken a single break, in over three months at work to this day.) even though everyone has told me outside of work that by law they have to give at least a 30 minute break (More if its over 8 hours i think? ) MY hours often range into the 90's every two weeks. The money is good I guess but this is fucking exhausting, we are one of the busiest restaurants in our town, this is not an easy job and without any cool down time the stress is often to almost unbearable levels on a day to day basis.
- I was injured on the work site, I fell down a flight of stairs after slipped on a puddle of water someone had spilt. I was told that I was not allowed to fill out a workers injury form, and that I would either have it "tough it out" and keep working, or they said they would see it as I quit my job if i took any time off (I am still having problems with my knee and shoulder from this injury.)
- Last week a co-worker was told during service he was not allowed to go to the washroom, he was online until he couldn't hold it anymore and he pee'd his pants on the line and then was yelled at by the boss. He didn't show up for work this week, which brings me partially to my next issue:
- Tonight I was called and told I now have to work on my day off because someone else had quit, I told them I couldnt do it as my father is coming into town from NEw Guinea for only my day off on his way through, I get to see him maybe if I am lucky, once every year to 2 years, so my boss said if I don't come in, that he will see it as me quitting and I will lose my job.
Now I am well aware how I am being treated is illegal. And I am trying to find new work but it's not been easy, and I can't afford to just lose my income out of the blue. I don't know what I can do, I am at the end of my rope, every day i work there i am becoming more and more miserable. I live with my girlfriend and she can see it in me, I am constantly exhausted, miserable, and my sex drive has dropped to zero, i my appetite has gone down, i've been losing a lot of weight. I have clinical severe anxiety disorder as it is, but i have it under control with some medications, but even with those medications I am getting worse and worse, I am taking ativan almost like candy, in my old job it took me a year to get through a bottle of 20 (It's for anxiety attacks.) I have used 30 in the last 3 months . I am at the end of the line, I can't take this job anymore, but I can't afford to just leave either. I have never called in sick or been late for work even once, and I am good at my job (MY other co-workers like me.) I don't know why they don't try to fire me, but they treat most of their employees in the kitchen the same way except for our female cook (My boss treats most of the female staff well but not the males.).
I am not super well versed in labour laws in BC but I know this is all super illegal, I just don't know what I can do about it. Has anyone else had to deal with this kind of thing??