As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Amazon Buys Twitch.tv; Stream Drones in Development

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
jTSqOU8.pngkZec2JM.png

Not Google, as rumored.

Over a billion dollars. Let that sink in for a bit.

...finished? So okay, it might seem weird for Amazon of all places to do this, but they got their own streaming service for videos, released their own tablet, and basically have done a lot to expand beyond just a simple place to buy cheap textbooks or replace a broken controller. Either way, Twitch.tv is probably a huge win for Amazon, as it has been making a lot of cash and is the hot streaming site out there. Shit, even Google is trying to play catch-up by slowing adding streaming options to YouTube. It is possible that Amazon could try to piggyback other streaming services off Twitch, which would be a weird inversion of what happened with Justin.tv if they pulled it off.

The downside? Those changes that happened to Twitch earlier this month. While the smoke has settled a bit, Twitch is probably at its least popular right now after it went on a muting spree and has effectively killed VODs in any long-term sense. It remains to be seen if Amazon may reverse some or all of these changes in order to alleviate any fears that Amazon is going to get all corporate boa constrictor on Twitch...or if these changes were done by Twitch to encourage Amazon to seal the deal.

So it turns out watching thousands of idiots fight over a game of Pokemon is big money. Draw your own conclusions about humanity.

YL9WnCY.png

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    So it turns out watching thousands of idiots fight over a game of Pokemon is big money. Draw your own conclusions about humanity.

That's old hat. New hat is watching a fish play Pokemon.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    copying my post from the VG Streams thread:
    i do not like this acquisition

i like it better than the total death knell that google buying twitch would have been

and i'm not sure how amazon will turn twitch to shit

and twitch has already been preemptively ruining itself in preparation for this buyout

but i remember what happened to comixology

edit: for reference, here's the blog post where amazon announced that they were going to ruin comixology. it took them a whole 3 weeks to do this after acquiring the service.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

That's old hat. New hat is watching a fish play Pokemon Street Fighter 2.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I only know what twitch is because of saltybet, and now that I can't watch saltybet at work I don't even care anymore

JtgVX0H.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    http://www.zdnet.com/amazon-completes-acquisition-of-twitch-7000034092/
    Summary: Amazon has sealed the deal on Twitch, a game-streaming service the company says is an "awesome" cultural fit.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Are there any anticipated changes to service, besides whats already happening with historical streams?

steam_sig.png