Options

Spend more on snacks than what it cost to get in, cause you're at the [Movies]

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever found themselves picking up mannerisms from a movie?

I have just now noticed ever since I watched the movie I will absentmindedly do the little whistle they do in Fantastic Mr. Fox

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I have just now noticed ever since I watched the movie I will absentmindedly do the little whistle they do in Fantastic Mr. Fox

no but when I read all the way through the dark tower in like a month I had to stop myself from using some of their honorifics

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    FAQ wrote: »
    I really liked eyes wide shut and was surprised by it's very negative reputation, at least that's what had trickled down to me.

There's an excellent analysis of it online somewhere that made me realllly want to revisit it again.

I'll watch anything Kubrick though, it's like the medium was made just for that guy

I mean I think the cult orgies were probably a factor

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2014
    "you have forgotten the face of your father" has become part of the vocabulary of my gaming group despite me being the only one who has read any of the dark tower

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    I generally have a hard time finding supernatural stuff scary. Anything with ghosts or demons or monsters is instantly fighting an uphill battle trying to scare me.

Aliens, nature, and people? All more than capable of scaring me.

I ain't 100% sure where my disconnect is.

Guessing that is mostly because the half you listed as scary is at least possible in real life and the supernatural stuff is less so. I mean, aliens are fictional constructs in these movies, but as living things, they have an element of plausibility that goats or demons don't have

@t4ct

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    For a while I used "Oh no I've gone crosseyed" to express confusion.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    okay swype if you're going to fuck up what I say please do so that way in the future

• Options
    I don't get scared by horror movies as much as I get unsettled and sad. Like, I watched the scene in House of Wax where Paris Hilton got murdered and I couldn't move past "a human being just died :("

Insert Joke About Paris Hilton Actually Being A Wax Statue Here

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Prohass wrote: »
    Also I agree Geebs, horror has to do more than just murderise people for me to feel scared, and often I'll get hung up on deaths that movies blow past. That's why I love horrors with a small cast, like Long Weekend

Agreed. Like I said before, the minimalism on the violence allowed for some really great buildup in The Ring, which is what sets it apart from a lot of horror films.

Now, to talk about films that are the exact opposite... while it basically abandoned being seriously scary, Nightmare on Elm Street did some pretty crazy creative stuff with some of the kids in those flicks.

It's unfortunate that it couldn't also keep itself scary, but it's hard to maintain a spooky atmosphere when your villain has become a psychopathic Bugs Bunny.

Seriously, there's one death where a dude dreams he's skydiving, and Freddy steals his chute and throws him out a window, and then wheels out a bed of spikes for him to land on.

Only thing missing was the Merrie Melodies theme.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    "you have forgotten the face of your father" has become part of the vocabulary of my gaming group despite me being the only one who has read any of the dark tower

My group of friends in college did this, yeah

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Slasher films nowadays seem to have so many tropes and things they need to do they seem so far removed from actual horror movies.

It's not a horror movie but the very first movie that scared me watch it was the night vision scene in the silence of the lambs

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I don't get scared by horror movies as much as I get unsettled and sad. Like, I watched the scene in House of Wax where Paris Hilton got murdered and I couldn't move past "a human being just died :("

Insert Joke About Paris Hilton Actually Being A Wax Statue Here
    That episode of Supernatural was fun.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular

when I was a kid and Ace Ventura was like the funniest movie ever

Much to the dismay of my parents I'm sure

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    if you liked eyes wide shut that's okay, i would be interested in having a conversation with you about why that is & open to new interpretations i may not have previously considered

actually that's what i'll be doing tomorrow probably! i assume we won't just be sitting in a circle ragging on kubrick, fun as that would be

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    When I was very young I would walk around vocalizing like Ariel in The Little Mermaid and my mother would tell at me to shut up.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Me and my friends pretty much communicate exclusively through movie and Simpsons quotes, with a healthy dose of Mike Myers and Jim Carey. but in terms of mannerisms I'm sure there's some but I can't think of them for the life of me.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think There Will Be Blood should have gotten Best Picture over No Country For Old Men

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

when I was a kid and Ace Ventura was like the funniest movie ever

Much to the dismay of my parents I'm sure

The reveal in Ace Venture has aged pretty horribly in my opinion.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm rather ashamed that I picked up the mannerisms of Jack Sparrow after watching PotC.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    we've all made mistakes

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Captain K wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic already and I'm sure I've missed a bunch: what other horror flicks should I seek out if I want that kind of patient suspense-building? Assume I know of none of them.

When I was younger, I watched Mothman Prophecies. Something about that movie scared the heck out of me. I should really watch it again, see if it still works

(It probably helps that it was night time, the power was out and we were running the TV/VCR with a generator)

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Bubby wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    While Silent Hill was awful, it's neat that they actually managed to bring Pyramid head to life and not fuck it up.

I guess. He was just a roided out supervillain with none of what made him so interesting in Silent Hill 2, but visually he was pretty intimidating so I'll give the film that. I wasn't even that big a fan of the look of the film like some SH fans are - the CGI fog was distracting.

The bit of the film that actually got to me worst wasn't any of the supernatural or monstery stuff, it was
    the woman being burned alive.
    That really disturbed me and I couldn't stop thinking about it, and about it having happened to real people.

But when I got the nightmare it was totally all fucked up monster stuff and that noise and the walls changing.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I end up unwillingly aping accents for about an hour after a movie.

I've also picked up a couple odd things: "Appy-polly-loggies" (Clockwork Orange), "phrasing" (Archer), and I'll do the hand roll from Dark Tower if I want someone to get on with it.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    For some reason, this thing scares the heck out of me, and I know it's just effects. Weird how that sort of thing can get you

(Del Toro stops talking at 0:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqS6pBC42w

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    For some reason, this thing scares the heck out of me, and I know it's just effects. Weird how that sort of thing can get you

(Del Toro stops talking at 0:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqS6pBC42w

The great (and unnerving) thing about this is that Javier Botet, the actor playing the creature, does pretty much all the movements naturally or with minimal wiring.

• Options
  • Options
    UGH

UGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

• Options
    That's not effects?

crazy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The dude is a twisty disjointed nightmare man.

• Options
    So was that movie good

Wiki says it came out last year

• Options
    I haven't seen the movie, just the short, so I'm curious too

• Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic already and I'm sure I've missed a bunch: what other horror flicks should I seek out if I want that kind of patient suspense-building? Assume I know of none of them.

When I was younger, I watched Mothman Prophecies. Something about that movie scared the heck out of me. I should really watch it again, see if it still works

(It probably helps that it was night time, the power was out and we were running the TV/VCR with a generator)

I grew up around where this movie was set! was kind of a bummer that they didn't film in WV at all

though it was funny seeing a somewhat silly local legend turned into actual horror movie

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Anyone else see The Giver?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I used to love horror movies. I watched them all the time, but my wife hates them so I never have any time to watch them any more. In other news I'm seeing a free screening of Maze Runner tonight. I'm not expecting much from it, but I'll let you all know how it is. At least this one is out in a few weeks so it should be the final product. We saw Oblivion three or four months early and 90% of of the cgi was missing. :)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Slasher films nowadays seem to have so many tropes and things they need to do they seem so far removed from actual horror movies.

It's not a horror movie but the very first movie that scared me watch it was the night vision scene in the silence of the lambs

It doesn't fit the horror movie genre, but I'd definitely call it a thriller.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    I've seen it referred to as a horror

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I generally have a hard time finding supernatural stuff scary. Anything with ghosts or demons or monsters is instantly fighting an uphill battle trying to scare me.

Aliens, nature, and people? All more than capable of scaring me.

I ain't 100% sure where my disconnect is.

Guessing that is mostly because the half you listed as scary is at least possible in real life and the supernatural stuff is less so. I mean, aliens are fictional constructs in these movies, but as living things, they have an element of plausibility that goats or demons don't have

@t4ct

Hello yes I am the goat of Mike here to scare youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The Silent Hill movie has incredible visual style, completely realizing the look of the town and monsters in live-action.

But the script and acting were terrible, which I lay at the feet of the non-native English-speaking director who insisting on writing it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I loved The Ring but I couldn't do anything but laugh at The Grudge

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I used to love horror movies. I watched them all the time, but my wife hates them so I never have any time to watch them any more. In other news I'm seeing a free screening of Maze Runner tonight. I'm not expecting much from it, but I'll let you all know how it is. At least this one is out in a few weeks so it should be the final product. We saw Oblivion three or four months early and 90% of of the cgi was missing. :)

I'm very interested in how the movie turns out; I thought the book was complete shit and tried too hard to be engaging, but I did also think it was written very visually and could work much better as a movie/mini-series.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
This discussion has been closed.