Options

Spend more on snacks than what it cost to get in, cause you're at the [Movies]

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I can't even imagine what Oblivion would look like without the CGI

90 minutes of Tom Cruise running around on green screen, or in an empty field?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    What got me about The Ring was the video tape itself

It's just full of weird unnerving imagery that's slapdashed together in a way that mostly doesn't make sense, at least not until the mystery is solved at the very end

For some reason that's the sort of thing that really gets to me

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Haven't seen Oblivion but the amount of practical effects in Edge of Tomorrow really helps sell the action. All the exo-suits and explosions were practical and most of the stuff was shot on sets, only the monsters they were fighting were CG.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Captain K wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic already and I'm sure I've missed a bunch: what other horror flicks should I seek out if I want that kind of patient suspense-building? Assume I know of none of them.

The House of the Devil is a really interesting, very tense movie. Filmed in 2009, but in a firmly 80s style that heightens the suspense instead of feeling like a cheap nostalgia ploy. It's a story that needed to play out before the information age, where you could be well and truly isolated.

The movie is tense as hell, remarkably well-acted (Tom Noonan in particular crushes it), and managed to genuinely shock me once or twice. I find most horror movies to be terminally predictable, so that was certainly noteworthy.

As with most slow-burn horror, I'd advise against reading too much about it. I think I'll give it another watch one of these days, actually. It really stuck with me.

Have you seen Innkeepers yet?

Same director, a lot of similar things going on, and an even better movie, if you ask me.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Haven't seen Oblivion but the amount of practical effects in Edge of Tomorrow really helps sell the action. All the exo-suits and explosions were practical and most of the stuff was shot on sets, only the monsters they were fighting were CG.

Also, Emily Blunt drove them into a tree.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    So was that movie good

Wiki says it came out last year

I really liked it. It got mixed reviews overall, but it was a good creepy fairy tale horror flick.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

I should change that. It had cg, but very early stuff. So it looked like ps1 era graphics for most of the movie. :) kind of tough to watch.

Edit- autocorrect

nicopernicus on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Lucy was...okay? Kinda dumb but fun

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What good movies are coming out soon?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    September looks pretty empty. The Boxtrolls (Laika Studios' new movie) is coming out at the end of the month and Gone Girl is the beginning of next month. I think Fury is in October too.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Isn't Horns coming out this month?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Nah, it's coming out on Halloween.

• Options
    Although it's premiering at a film festival in a few days! I got really excited looking at a release date list for the next month-ish and seeing Imitation Game and Inherent Vice on there, but those are all film festival dates :|

• Options
    Oh, and The Guest is out in September too. I've been seeing positive buzz about it (and it's from the people who made You're Next if that piques your interest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0E2Qh6wLS4

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Birdman and Rosewater have gotten some pretty excellent reviews, Birdman especially

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Birdman and Rosewater have gotten some pretty excellent reviews, Birdman especially

Very excited about Birdman. Michael Keaton is a major celebrity crush of mine thanks to Beetlejuice, Gung Ho and the Burton Batmans

He also voiced Porco Rosso!

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Michael Keaton had me in stitches in The Other Guys

• Options
    I am watching Speed Racer
    right now

• Options
    Royalton's about to give the speech

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    The other day when I was clearing out an old box from when I first moved into my last apartment, I found a dang netflix disc that I'd lost track of for years.

Updated my mailing address with them and sent it back, and today I received Undercover Brother, so I'm watching it.

Man, I'd forgotten how funny this movie was.

It's basically self-aware blaxsploitation, and it's just so ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bAE43v9csY

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited September 2014
    What got me about The Ring was the video tape itself

It's just full of weird unnerving imagery that's slapdashed together in a way that mostly doesn't make sense, at least not until the mystery is solved at the very end

For some reason that's the sort of thing that really gets to me

Also, it's cool how
    While the crucial stuff on the tape is of Samara and her mother and the farm, some of the images on the tape are from events that happen to Rachel later in the film, but the movie doesn't have anyone stop to explain that at all. You're just left to figure it out.

Like with the ladder, and the water splashing on the side of the boat, or when she's pulling hair out of her throat.

Also I just rhymed.

Goatmon on

• Options
    They are still going ahead with Ring 3D
    At some point Samara is going to climb out of that movie screen at me and I'll know it's coming a mile away and I'm still going to have a heart attack

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Ok, so I just discovered that Predestination is an Australian film and doesn't really have much in the way of an international release yet? Or something like that. So, this is kinda a post that's gonna sell it a little.

normal_002.jpg

Basically, the way it was sold to me was that it's a movie about time travel cops. "Temporal agents". Which is true.

But the thing about it, is that if you watch the trailer, you're probably going to get the wrong sort of idea about it. Because it's an intensely character-driven drama, about people's life stories, where you wouldn't even know it's got time travel until partway through. It's got an interesting idea that it's just allowed to go and run with.

It's really compelling, (I think at least) it's pretty smart and it's really, really well acted. One of the actors, Sarah Snook, is absolutely goddam fantastic.

I dunno if and when it's coming out, but I would definitely recommend it.

Wait is that the one based on "All You Zombies" ??

edit: seems it is.

Why someone decided to make a thriller out of a very genuinely silly sci-fi short story, I will never understand. :P

Goatmon on

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I really like Undercover Brother. It was more fun than Black Dynamite which was more focused on replicating earlier films.

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Oh, and The Guest is out in September too. I've been seeing positive buzz about it (and it's from the people who made You're Next if that piques your interest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0E2Qh6wLS4

I didn't care much for You're Next, but this looks great.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I just caught up on the last 4 pages of this thread and I'ma chime in on a bunch of horror movie stuff.

Re: The Ring. The two parts of the movie that totally freaked me out when I saw it in theaters were
    1. The girl in the closet. It's horrifying on its own, being the first time we see anyone messed up like that, and the fact that she's sitting in a fucking closet. But then it's also completely unexpected, being a sudden cut inserted into the conversation with the mother, you have no time to brace yourself. Also, just thinking of how awful it would be to (I assume very, very nervously) open up your closet door and find that.

2. Samara coming out of the TV at the end. I think it was because it was her big reveal, and the twitchy movements and all that. All kinds of horror films have done twitchiness like that since, so it isn't as effective now, but at the time it was really unsettling.

I didn't really like The Ring 2. I appreciate that it didn't just copy the original (I also appreciate this with Saw II), but it was much more of a generic fantasy horror, I thought. I also didn't think The Grudge was that good, and I was/am a fan of SMG.

I'm not sure I saw all of Silent Hill, but yeah, the most memorable/traumatizing part for me was definitely
    the woman being burned.

I saw Event Horizon at the theater. I thought it was pretty effectively freaky. The part with
    Weir's wife was definitely a "Oh god what is this its going to be bad" part.
    Also, I didn't realize until quite some time after I first saw the movie that
    Laurence Fishburne presumably gets sucked into Hell at the end, and doesn't just get exploded. I see that there is some debate about this.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I know! I watched it recently and always thought he just died, but the movie totally implies hes going to hell for eternity. I was like, holy shit that sucks!

Also the depiction of hell in that movie was legit horrifying.

Also watched Stir of Echoes, not really scary but super well done, stood the test of time in terms of quality if not in terms of how scary I remember it being. Some scenes are still great, but its mainly just a super well done film

Prohass on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That's what racing is about. It has nothing to do with cars or drivers. All that matters is power, and the unassailable might of money!

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Speaking of Event Horizon, I just rediscovered this gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzYR4IQ_kM

Goatmon on

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That's what racing is about. It has nothing to do with cars or drivers. All that matters is power, and the unassailable might of money!

Pops was right.

You are the devil.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I generally have a hard time finding supernatural stuff scary. Anything with ghosts or demons or monsters is instantly fighting an uphill battle trying to scare me.

Aliens, nature, and people? All more than capable of scaring me.

I ain't 100% sure where my disconnect is.

Guessing that is mostly because the half you listed as scary is at least possible in real life and the supernatural stuff is less so. I mean, aliens are fictional constructs in these movies, but as living things, they have an element of plausibility that goats or demons don't have

I'm sorry but this had me giggling like a madman for a couple minutes

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Michael Keaton had me in stitches in The Other Guys

He voices the Ken doll in toy story 3 and it is the best thing

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I skipped three pages just to say that I've never been able to understand the people that only like the basic training segment of Full Metal Jacket

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I skipped three pages just to say that I've never been able to understand the people that only like the basic training segment of Full Metal Jacket

It's obviously a representation of how different boot camp is from actually serving on overseas in combat zones but for some reason people don't pick up on it.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I hate to agree with you, but... I agree with you.

" How can you shoot women, children?"

"Door Gunner: Easy! Ya just don't lead 'em so much! Hahaha. Ain't war hell?"

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    the duality of man

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The only thing I can think of is that people get too lost in the "comedy" of the basic training segment

Like yeah, Hartman is treating Pyle horrifically, treating him in a way no human should be treated, but is doing it using very funny quips and insults

You might laugh, but you'll simultaneously feel awful while doing so, until the soap scene happens and then you're just feeling really down about the fact that you did laugh, but you've already begun this story and have to see how this particular story strand ends

And then it picks up with Joker in Vietnam, but the movie already lost the connecting tissue that tied it back to the comedic or tragic bits from earlier - Joker was there at the end of that segment, but despite him being the one assigned to "train" Pyle, the audience already kinda hates him because he took part in the soap abuse, so maybe people feel like there's no one worth talking about or anything left to say by the second segment?

I actually think one of the better things about it is how it does feel like two completely different films starring the same character

That feels pretty much like the point of the film

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    That sniper scene is so goddamned intense and I also don't know why people don't like the rest of the movie

It's two insanely good war movies in one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    DO YOU SEE

DO YOU SEE

This discussion has been closed.