As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JRPG Thread

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    He was a lot more explicit than Johnny Bravo, and I don't want to play an RPG with Bravo as a character

My only defense for Ringabel's early chapters is that it makes his change neat and you do get some understanding why he is the way he is

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Chincy I in no way mean to take away from the validity of your response to the game's content

But

I don't remember Ringabel at the beginning of the game being any worse than Johnny Bravo. Hell, tamer, even.

...have you seen Johnny Bravo lately?

Like in the last few years?

cause its super gross

like at least the joke is "haha this guy is weird", but no thank you

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    ringabel is literally zelos

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Chincy I in no way mean to take away from the validity of your response to the game's content

But

I don't remember Ringabel at the beginning of the game being any worse than Johnny Bravo. Hell, tamer, even.

cause its super gross

The last time I watched Johnny Bravo was.... God, I guess it was a long time ago

But I remember he'd come on to ladies super strong, just say some really terrible things, and then get hurt really, really badly, and his narcissism wouldn't let him process rejection as rejection

Like, the joke was that being like that will get you destroyed by life, which I thought was pretty great! Johnny Bravo taught people never to be like Johnny Bravo

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

But

cause its super gross

The last time I watched Johnny Bravo was.... God, I guess it was a long time ago

But I remember he'd come on to ladies super strong, just say some really terrible things, and then get hurt really, really badly, and his narcissism wouldn't let him process rejection as rejection

Like, the joke was that being like that will get you destroyed by life, which I thought was pretty great! Johnny Bravo taught people never to be like Johnny Bravo

I mean that's all fine

I still find both him and ringabel incredibly gross and absolutely do not want to play a game with them as a character

The fact that I hated two more of the four characters just sealed the deal

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    the joke in Johnny Bravo was that no one knows how to set the VCR clock

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Oh momma

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    bravelydefault_4.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    I'm thinking particularly of the bit in Bravely Default where Ringabel finally manages to go out on a date with a girl

Edea: Really. You managed to sucker some poor woman into going out with you. How'd that go?

Ringabel: She knocked me over the head and robbed me blind.

Edea: You don't say.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    thatsthejoke.jpg

Radius on
  • Options
    Be a cutie or we'll slap your patootie
    Rootie tootie show ringabel the cuties

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    I just don't see anything redeeming about the character and the distaste was so strong I didn't want to continue

I really like how that game plays but boy I couldn't dislike the characters or story more

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think both Ringabel and Johnny Bravo are heroes because they persist in the pursuit of romantic relationships that shy nice guys like me have trouble with because women only want to date assholes.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Who is the bigger asshole, ringabel or brock from pokemon

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Remember that episode of Johnny Bravo where he dates a talking deer and has to deal with her angry ex-boyfriend who is a crab

Because i sure as fuck can't forget it

• Options
    Zay wrote: »
    Who is the bigger asshole, ringabel or brock from pokemon

jenny, oh jenny

joy, oh joy

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    what did professor ivy do to brock

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Hey I know, I'll use my trusty frying pan, as a drying pan!
    -Tal wrote: »
    what did professor ivy do to brock

I have that dvd

Radius on
  • Options
    Radius wrote: »
    Hey I know, I'll use my trusty frying pan, as a drying pan!

Not going to fall for this one again

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ringabel's philandering comes from deep-seated insecurities about his identity crisis

he uses it as a deflection tool because he can't figure out who or what he is, and he gets burned because of it

johnny bravo is just a narcissistic tool who is too dim-witted to understand why what he does is wrong

• Options
    He's basically Irvine without a cowboy hat

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    ringabel's philandering comes from deep-seated insecurities about his identity crisis

he uses it as a deflection tool because he can't figure out who or what he is, and he gets burned because of it

johnny bravo is just a narcissistic tool who is too dim-witted to understand why what he does is wrong

It goes even deeper into abandonment issues and insecurities about failing the only family that showed him compassion in his youth

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    you would dare cover up that pompadour with a cowboy hat?

Monster.

• Options
    I'm going to talk about Mother 3 for a minute, specifically with regards to what I think is the best love scene in video games, even though the two characters involved aren't looking at each other.
    I guess the first thing that has to be said is that in the Mother games, music always says somehting, always has some meaning hidden between the notes. With some music, it's easy. With others, it's obscure. The meanign can be small, or enormous, or all kinds of things, but it's always there, every piece made to fit a specific moment or thought or feeling. You just have to know how to listen for it.

The scene begins with A Letter to You, Honey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYquVlDAG6U

This song is used when Hinawa writes a letter to Flint in the very beginning of the game. She is in the mountains, miles away from their home village, visiting her father with her two children. Her father is boisterous and rude and perhaps a bit mean to Lucas, who is not as masculine as his brother, but he is Hinawa's father and he loves his grandchildren very much. She writes to Flint that they will be home that evening, and she misses him, and she and the boys and even her father all wished he had been there with him for this visit.

That she writes this letter to him is something, and says something: there are no phones in the world of Mother 3, not in the beginning, and every word spoken between Flint and Hinawa has been in person, often in earshot of their children. The distance that justifies the letter also justifies the intimacy of the written word, of speaking her thoughts unfiltered because only he will ever hear them. It is not a love letter she is writing, but it is a letter rooted in love, love for her family and for her husband, love she freely shares - for the most part, keeping some secret part just for him, who she loved first.

Mother games are important in one sense because they are not afraid to tell the player that it is now time to take a break, to relax, and to reflect on what they're seeing and hearing or have just seen and heard. Mother 2 did this most brazenly with its Saturn Coffee and Magic Cake sequences, sequences that went on for minutes, but Mother 3 is gentler: Hinawa's letter takes a minute to read, and the text scrolls by at a comfortable if leisurely pace. Listen, the game says, and reflect. You can feel the peace of the music, how it's written from a point of tranquility, and in those notes and those words you can hear the beating of Hinawa's heart, the enormity of love that we in our foolishness think of as being merely normal - because love isn't ever really normal, even when it's comfortable, and quiet, and expressed in carefully prepared meals and shirts stained by sweat from long days of work.

She puts the letter on a bird and releases it, and the bird carries the letter to Flint, because Tazmilly is that sort of place. Mother 3 takes place in that sort of world.

And then

Then Flint receives the letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGapCiIsIuc

This is a cap sequence, taking place a little ways after Hinawa's sending, and the game has you sit through the letter again as Flint reads it, at the same leisurely pace that Hinawa wrote it. The music is different, too, because it's the music Flint hears, not Hinawa. The melody has been incorporated into a lullaby, an adult's composition through the instrumentation of childhood. In this letter Flint hears Hinawa's voice, and you can hear how he thinks of her - holding their sons, or talking together, or in the fundamental role that holds their family together.

You can hear how he loves her: how his love for her encompasses his love for his sons, because they are of her and he together, and he loves his children but he loved her first.

You can hear it, can't you? You can hear that she is his whole life, and all it takes to set off that chord in his heart is her words committed to paper, reaching out to him over a distance?

It's such a simple, quiet thing, this exchange, conveyed in a quiet and simple way, but it speaks to a love that's old and deep and huge and vibrant.

It's true that I am married now, and my understanding of love has changed over time, but I was not when I played Mother 3. It is in retrospect and with a deeper understanding of myself and what I'm able to read this scene this way, to see that it was crafted to speak to truths about certain kinds of deep, terrible loves.

Because that is one of the lessons of Mother 3, too, I think.

That love is not always strength.

Anyway

Mother 3 is a pretty good game with pretty good music

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    next chincy is going to say he doesn't like beevis and butthead because they are obsessed with scoring

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    next chincy is going to say he doesn't like beevis and butthead because they are obsessed with scoring

lol you sure got me bro

• Options
    edited September 2014
    next he'll say Pepé Le Pew is creepy and gross

and he would be right

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    next he'll say Pepé Le Pew is creepy and gross

and he would be right

literally an attempted rapist

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm going to talk about Mother 3 for a minute, specifically with regards to what I think is the best love scene in video games, even though the two characters involved aren't looking at each other.
    I guess the first thing that has to be said is that in the Mother games, music always says somehting, always has some meaning hidden between the notes. With some music, it's easy. With others, it's obscure. The meanign can be small, or enormous, or all kinds of things, but it's always there, every piece made to fit a specific moment or thought or feeling. You just have to know how to listen for it.

The scene begins with A Letter to You, Honey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYquVlDAG6U

This song is used when Hinawa writes a letter to Flint in the very beginning of the game. She is in the mountains, miles away from their home village, visiting her father with her two children. Her father is boisterous and rude and perhaps a bit mean to Lucas, who is not as masculine as his brother, but he is Hinawa's father and he loves his grandchildren very much. She writes to Flint that they will be home that evening, and she misses him, and she and the boys and even her father all wished he had been there with him for this visit.

That she writes this letter to him is something, and says something: there are no phones in the world of Mother 3, not in the beginning, and every word spoken between Flint and Hinawa has been in person, often in earshot of their children. The distance that justifies the letter also justifies the intimacy of the written word, of speaking her thoughts unfiltered because only he will ever hear them. It is not a love letter she is writing, but it is a letter rooted in love, love for her family and for her husband, love she freely shares - for the most part, keeping some secret part just for him, who she loved first.

Mother games are important in one sense because they are not afraid to tell the player that it is now time to take a break, to relax, and to reflect on what they're seeing and hearing or have just seen and heard. Mother 2 did this most brazenly with its Saturn Coffee and Magic Cake sequences, sequences that went on for minutes, but Mother 3 is gentler: Hinawa's letter takes a minute to read, and the text scrolls by at a comfortable if leisurely pace. Listen, the game says, and reflect. You can feel the peace of the music, how it's written from a point of tranquility, and in those notes and those words you can hear the beating of Hinawa's heart, the enormity of love that we in our foolishness think of as being merely normal - because love isn't ever really normal, even when it's comfortable, and quiet, and expressed in carefully prepared meals and shirts stained by sweat from long days of work.

She puts the letter on a bird and releases it, and the bird carries the letter to Flint, because Tazmilly is that sort of place. Mother 3 takes place in that sort of world.

And then

Then Flint receives the letter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGapCiIsIuc

This is a cap sequence, taking place a little ways after Hinawa's sending, and the game has you sit through the letter again as Flint reads it, at the same leisurely pace that Hinawa wrote it. The music is different, too, because it's the music Flint hears, not Hinawa. The melody has been incorporated into a lullaby, an adult's composition through the instrumentation of childhood. In this letter Flint hears Hinawa's voice, and you can hear how he thinks of her - holding their sons, or talking together, or in the fundamental role that holds their family together.

You can hear how he loves her: how his love for her encompasses his love for his sons, because they are of her and he together, and he loves his children but he loved her first.

You can hear it, can't you? You can hear that she is his whole life, and all it takes to set off that chord in his heart is her words committed to paper, reaching out to him over a distance?

It's such a simple, quiet thing, this exchange, conveyed in a quiet and simple way, but it speaks to a love that's old and deep and huge and vibrant.

It's true that I am married now, and my understanding of love has changed over time, but I was not when I played Mother 3. It is in retrospect and with a deeper understanding of myself and what I'm able to read this scene this way, to see that it was crafted to speak to truths about certain kinds of deep, terrible loves.

Because that is one of the lessons of Mother 3, too, I think.

That love is not always strength.

Anyway

Mother 3 is a pretty good game with pretty good music

But the graphicz sux.

• Options
    Also, having gone back to ff8 recently, Irvine's crisis of faith in himself during the assassination op is startlingly well done

I did not appreciate it nearly enough before

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    we can't smooch here, we have space suits on
    let's jetpack over to that conveniently abandoned FUCKIN' RADICAL red space shuttle with the dragon figurehead and then make out

Except when the time came for a loving embrace, Squall did his usual shit and ruined the whole thing.
    sarukun wrote: »
    Peas wrote: »
    stickers_dcffb1567e1fc6c2bab5d0858deffbb6.jpg

aka The Greatest Love Scene of All Time

cloud-and-tifa-get-busy.jpg

Sorry guys but the greatest love scene of all times in jurps is the one between Elle and Fei in Xenogears
    None of this is the love triangle between Locke and Celes and Rachel.

I really wanted this to be the case, but they stumbled heavily by the second half. For a good portion of it, Locke is just a straight-up asshole to Celes. Things looked to be improving, but they failed to stick the landing.
    turtleant wrote: »
    What was the explanation for why Tidus and Wakka could hold their breath for so damn long again?

Blitzball players train heavily to increase their time underwater. I believe 45 minutes was the longest an average player could hold their breath. In the Eternal Calm bonus video, Yuna is practicing this herself.

No it doesn't make much sense, but at least they tried to offer an explanation.

I am

CERTAIN

the 2.5 thing was proven to be a hoax/fanfiction

To this day, I keep trying to convince myself that it was.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    That's a very interesting interpretation of that scene, I'll give you that.

I think they did officially confirm that they were "having a moment" in that scene, just as they confirmed the same for Cloud and Tifa during their pivotal scene/best romantic moment ever (in an FF).
    Hullis wrote: »
    Also, having gone back to ff8 recently, Irvine's crisis of faith in himself during the assassination op is startlingly well done

I did not appreciate it nearly enough before

It's even better when you realize that it was all an act so that he wouldn't shoot Edea, since he remembered their time in the orphanage (and that she was their caretaker).
    Jars wrote: »
    okay here's the real question. do we need another jrpg thread?

Yes. I enjoyed this thread.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    People can hold their breath longer in Spiral cos of.magic

There, mystery solved

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    People can hold their breath longer in Spiral cos of.magic

There, mystery solved

Everything is Pyrefly technology. Including people.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    I find X dumb in a lot of ways, but holding your breath for really long was just surreal enough for me to find it cool. It's just something you can do in this world that opens up new environments and interactions.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I can't believe I'm just now realizing Edea's name is a FF callback.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm just now realizing Edea's name is a FF callback.

Tiz is Zit backward

this isn't a callback, its just something I noticed

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Is it really? It's a fairly common name, so it could just be a coincidence.

• Options
    I appreciate that Braev the Templar carries abilities that make defaulting stronger

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I tried so hard to play FFX because I heard so many great things about it, and I still thought it was really pretty given that I tried to play it last year.

but Tidus is just such a child

This discussion has been closed.