As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Everybody's dead, Dave.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2014
    Wildstar has a fairly large breadth of content, but little depth to it. It's real easy to knock out all the adventures, and having the medal system hooked into them was an incredibly bad idea since the replayability aspect gets shot down since everyone wants to do efficient gold runs. Dungeons offer more meat to chew on, but there still aren't a lot and the off-kilter difficulty doesn't help. Daily hubs have no variety, and the grind is too long. PvP offers three battlegrounds and, what, one arena? I think that's not bad, but it's also nothing to write home about. Warplots were DOA, so let's not even go there.

The only thing you could sink a lot of time into was housing, but housing demanded you do other activities to obtain furniture be it via gold, renown, or just unlocking them.

And then there's raiding, whose problems I think we've go over quite a bit already.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Much as I want Wildstar to survive, I almost feel at this point that it would be better for it to die, to serve as a strong reminder to game developers and publishers of what not to do when making a modern MMO.

If you can't figure out a new way to do things or a better way to do the old things MMOs do, to compete with existing games in other genres and other MMOs, then you probably shouldn't spend millions of dollars and many years of development making a game that will flare up and then fade away in a month. It just makes absolutely no sense.

I think you don't even necessarily need to find a better or new way to do things honestly. I feel if you can bring an interesting story, good visuals, fun combat/mechanics, and a healthy economy, all you really need to make sure of is that there is something for EVERYONE to do. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, a lot of times people want a new game just because they are tired of the old game and want to see a new world. You just need to make sure the casual, the hardcore, the economist, the costumer, etc all have something fun they can do that will occupy their time long enough for the development team to release more content for them to chew through.

The mistake a lot of developers make is that they release content that can be too easily consumed by the masses (not the few, they'll chew through anything in record time), or are too prohibitive.

The challenge comes in making sure the content takes just long enough for the reward without discouraging the player too much that they won't even bother. That's where the real skill comes in, you need to hook the player, get them to spend hours and hours working towards something they want but not too long that they think it won't be worth the time. Sprinkle that with a decent amount of smaller goals and more casual activities, coat in a fairly difficult raiding endgame that eases into a more casual one over time add a sprinkle of constant content updates and simmer until done!

Never give the player anything right off the bat, always make them play the game to acquire the thing they want, even if it's only a few hours of effort for a small thing, that's a few hours they need to spend instead of just walking to a vendor and buying the thing.

New dance emote? Don't just add it to the game, make it a quest that take 30 mins
    New cosmetic head piece? Make it a difficult high level craft
    New mount? make it the reward of 30 days of reputation grinding, but make the reputation grind only take 30 mins a day.

Add dozens and dozens of those sorts of things to keep players occupied between the story and dungeons content updates that take longer to develop.

None of this is new stuff, it's all old hat but it's presented in a way specifically designed to keep the player playing, but not prohibitively so.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I mean, WoW had very little to do at 60 that didn't involve the game's two raids, but that was ten years ago. WoW was the only game in town, and expectations have jumped considerably.

You can't expect to recreate vanilla WoW in 2014 and succeed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Basically, the only reason I'm still playing this game is because of the friends that are still in.

I like the combat, I find it fun. But if it weren't for them, I'd go play other games that are also fun but have things to do that aren't the same dalies over and over, intersperesed with sometimes-frustrating dungeons or boring/mindless adventures.

The spate of bugs and just generally old-school feel of the end-game are really doing a number on my excitement to keep playing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The game has a core that works. Combat is fun, the classes are neat, and the game looks great.

But it has awful design and no QA department except poor Mr. Potassium.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    I mean, WoW had very little to do at 60 that didn't involve the game's two raids, but that was ten years ago. WoW was the only game in town, and expectations have jumped considerably.

You can't expect to recreate vanilla WoW in 2014 and succeed.

I think it's a problem with MMOs as whole(though recently I think developers have started catching on; see the rise in Sandbox style MMOs). Both developers and vocal subsection of MMO players idealize Vanilla WoW/EQ/their first MMO and want new MMOs to copy those designs. Of course, that's a recipe for failure; it's not the 2004 or the 90s anymore. When WoW was released, the other big game was Halo 2. Online and Multiplayer games have gone a long ways since then(often stealing the parts of MMOs that people like in the progess, such as leveling and progression based mechanics), and MMOs no-longer compete against just MMOs, but the entire online space; which when compared nowadays to 2004? The online space is gigantic compared to the past. And it's time that the MMO genre comes to terms with that.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    IMO the MMO genre is a dieing thing. I really dont know how FF14 does it outside of basically being a Final Fantasy game (well, a GOOD FF game, something people have lacked for a long time). The actual gameplay in FF14 is boring even in comparison to something like vanilla WoW, but something about the games structure and story and just the IP itself keep people hooked.

GW2 is the only other thing close to successful now. And even though it really is an MMO is so loosely defined as such it pretty much survives on being unique, and being free after bought (which is HUGE, I haven't played in forever but I could easilly just pop in for a bit and not spend a dime).

I really do not think any MMO is going to be the next big thing ever again. EQ Next is going to be like GW2 and be so different its surviving off of being a different game. But that might be the last gasp for MMOs there is and I think WoW is going to drop off big time past this expansion.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Insert Destiny joke here.

EDIT: Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually made a decent MMO for consoles sometime.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Insert Destiny joke here.

EDIT: Although I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually made a decent MMO for consoles sometime.

A-Realm-Reborn-Box-Art1.jpg

But that's a bit of a special case as well as a hallmark of the older FF11, which I believe is perhaps the only MMO that was on consoles prior to recent times.

488W936.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    *looks at his PS2 across the room that has a hard drive from FF11 in it*

Well, there was that and PSO on the Dreamcast. Hey, maybe SEGA will stop jerking us around someday and actually put out a modern one with a actual worldwide release.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    as far as I know FF14 is the only mmo in like 7 years people have actually stuck with and has been consistently growing in sub numbers

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    as far as I know FF14 is the only mmo in like 7 years people have actually stuck with and has been consistently growing in sub numbers

and all they had to do to get there was have one of the most disastrous launches in those 7 years then shut it down and dump tens of millions of dollars into redoing most of it

• Options
    edited September 2014

and all they had to do to get there was have one of the most disastrous launches in those 7 years then shut it down and dump tens of millions of dollars into redoing most of it

I think the most important thing about the whole thing though, was what they learned in the process. They took that failure to heart and turned around and created one of the best MMOS in years.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular

and now SE is having the best fiscal reports in a long time. YMMV

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Indeed, which is proof that the WoW-copycat model can work, you just need to copy the current WoW and not the one whose mechanics and conventions have been in the dumpster for years.

But that just wasn't the game Carbine wanted to make, for better or worse - they wanted a return to the Vanilla WoW era. Unfortunately for them, no one else did.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Are we sure about that ? Isn't Square Enix still paying off the burning, crashing disaster that was the FINAL FANTASY movie ?

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Fairchild wrote: »

Are we sure about that ? Isn't Square Enix still paying off the burning, crashing disaster that was the FINAL FANTASY movie ?

From what we know the reports have said that SE went from the red to the black due almost entirely because of FFXIV:ARR. The game is also launching soon in China and they just struck a deal in Korea to bring it there as well. Subscription numbers have done nothing but climb over a year of the game being out (pretty much unheard of in an MMO these days), they stuck with HUGE content updates every 3 months with smaller QoL and content updates in between and have the first major expansion slated for next year which is said to contain as much content as the release of 2.0 had.

If you want a study in how to make a successful MMORPG these days, you look at FFXIV:ARR, and specifically at the Director Naoki Yoshida (who is on a committee now overseeing the entire FF brand so look forward to hopefully seeing all future FF games getting a similar treatment).

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Does this mean that Square-Enix can finally start acting like a proper game company again instead of a bunch of shifty county fair carnies?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    Does this mean that Square-Enix can finally start acting like a proper game company again instead of a bunch of shifty county fair carnies?

We can only hope.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's probably obvious, but I've completely dropped this game.

Loved the first month of the game, had a really good time playing with BDH dudes. Had to take about 6 weeks off for work and stuff; I came back late August, popped a credd, and realized about 5 minutes after logging on that I had zero interest in doing anything at all in the game. It was nice to get to say goodbye to my bar and house though.

Thanks for the good times dudes.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    You had a hella nice house, Fire.

• Options
    Housing in Wildstar rocked. No question there.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Getting costume slots early and then a lot of them was awesome as well.

• Options
    Costumes remained broken as hell even two months after launch. Cannot say how often I would fight trying to swap out stuff, and then the thing would cycle between the two pieces of gear. It was like a roulette minigame just to change up a costume.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KhezKhez Registered User regular
    So yeah ohmna down!
    z3sf0cr0kf3g.jpg

76561197967286566.png

Psn: Khezaf
    Wildstar: MeHealU
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I do miss the wonderful visuals of this game. It's just so shiny.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I probably won't be able to play another mmo once my guild eventually implodes, as buggy as wildstar is it has some amazing combat and pve design. Will probably poke datascape this week since we have 40+ attuned people.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

Straight up. Ten years from now, if I remember ANYTHING about Wildstar, it will be Firewater's house.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Saw a post from the devs on facebook.

Gave me lots of the sads, because of what really seems to be going down.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Saw a post from the devs on facebook.

Gave me lots of the sads, because of what really seems to be going down.

What was the post?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    The lead class designer is leaving Carbine.

This is less than ideal.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Leading or leaving? Either is a perilous route.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Leading or leaving? Either is a perilous route.

He left by his own choice(He wasn't fired, as he states in the reddit link).

http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/2h9794/lead_class_designer_left_carbine_studios/

Nobody is technically in charge of Carbine right now, IIRC. No successor to Gaffney has been announced, which also doesn't bode well.

• Options
    Meerkat is taking Shelton's place.

Nope.avi

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »

Straight up. Ten years from now, if I remember ANYTHING about Wildstar, it will be Firewater's house.

Thanks guys! Housing was easily my favorite part of the game (both building and exploring other people's stuff), followed very closely by dungeons/adventures with PA folks.

I do hope this game gets its shit together down the road, but we'll see I guess.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Personally I don't take Hugh's leaving as a good sign. When some of your more prominent team members up and leave for whatever reason that usually means something is up. As far as I know they still haven't replaced gaffney so the company is more or less headless unless Donatelli is managing things in some capacity.

Whenever anything good happened with wildstar's classes it was usually the result of Hugh Shelton's direct involvement. Engineers and Spellslingers were fucked for a really long time until Shelton had to guide Meerkat's hand to not implement stupid things. To hear he is now the lead class dev is hilarious after the fact.

Beezel on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man this thread depressed me into not wanting to play anymore.. Then I joined some random guild.. and it depressed me further when all they did was ask me to put up a mining plot on my land and neighbor all them...

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Grath wrote: »
    man this thread depressed me into not wanting to play anymore.. Then I joined some random guild.. and it depressed me further when all they did was ask me to put up a mining plot on my land and neighbor all them...

What server/side?

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'm quickly running out of stuff to do. Last night I got Beloved with my last faction and have nearly capped out my blue pvp gear. With a looming ratings reset I don't want to start my final goal of pushing for an 1800 pvp set. The guild we went to has more or less folded due to a group of friends not enjoying the raid times and leaving while we were working on Kuralak. With my move coming up next month, I'm holding back on finding a new Dom guild to run with.

Hopefully we get some news soon on Drop 3.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Woop, time for first pull of system daemons. Only have 36 people, but still gonna be fun to do some progression wiping again!