As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wildstar] Everybody's dead, Dave.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I like it as a buff-counter mechanic for players, ie. if you have IA then you're temporarily immune from CC effects (which are often the least fun part of these games, just because they take control away from you).

Unfortunately all the IAs players get strike me as be so short and rare as to be for purely situational use, while enemies just stack them like candy. So rather than the mechanic being something a good player can use to keep themselves safe it's mostly a mechanic that makes fights longer/bosses unkillable without specific abilities.

[edit] I envy people who can look at abilities, AMPs and keep enough information in their head at a time to actually come up with synergistic builds. It seems like all of my favourite MMOs (ESO, Wildstar, CoX) have skill systems that require just a bit too much info for me to actually be able to read the numbers, go "oh, I see, so using X then buffs Y, which triggers Z". Instead feels like studying for an exam while exhausted where I reach the end of the page and realise I can't remember anything from what I've just read.

Glal on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Unfortunately all the IAs players get strike me as be so short and rare as to be for purely situational use

This isn't actually true. You can look at a skill and say "3 seconds with a cooldown of 25 seconds? That's pretty poor uptime," but actually having good interrupt armor can be extremely helpful for a ton of encounters. So many, in fact, that I really hesitate to call it situational. Not every fight will reward you for skillful use of interrupt armor, but most fights will, at least in a small way, and sometimes in some pretty big ones.

You do have to know when to use them, of course, which comes with experience, but player-controlled interrupt armor is essentially a reverse interrupt so that makes sense.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Are leveling dungeons still brutally tuned?

They've all been pretty heavily retuned. All the mechanics are still there but they feel a lot easier, you can now go in as a group that hasn't seen it and still do it. Might be a wipe or two, but as long as you've done Protostar Academy you can likely do Stormtalon without too much trouble.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »
    Unfortunately all the IAs players get strike me as be so short and rare as to be for purely situational use
    This isn't actually true. You can look at a skill and say "3 seconds with a cooldown of 25 seconds? That's pretty poor uptime," but actually having good interrupt armor can be extremely helpful for a ton of encounters. So many, in fact, that I really hesitate to call it situational. Not every fight will reward you for skillful use of interrupt armor, but most fights will, at least in a small way, and sometimes in some pretty big ones.
    Are we talking dungeons here? Because "they're useful in dungeons" is the definition of situational. Much as I love dungeons they represent less than 1% of my playtime in an MMO.

• Options
    Rend wrote: »
    Are we talking dungeons here? Because "they're useful in dungeons" is the definition of situational. Much as I love dungeons they represent less than 1% of my playtime in an MMO.

They're useful against any pve monster that can perform a stun, knockdown, tether, disarm, disorient, or any other cc. This includes adventures, dungeons, and raids for sure, but also includes solo pve primes. Most non prime enemies have no cc, or getting hit by it is such a minor event that avoiding it saves you very little.

Also, I fundamentally disagree that situational includes abilities which are only useful in group content. That would indicate that almost every healing and tanking skill would qualify as situational.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    [edit] Okay.

Glal on
  • Options
    I guess to be specific, during solo and levelling, personal IA is not very useful, no. During group content it it's significantly more useful, but still is more rarely used than it deserves because it is more reliable and requires less skill to use a cc break than it is to apply IA prior to being cc'd

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    What's the best way to get a weapon for dungeons? I'm working on my healing spec up to par and it looks like the pvp weapons are no longer that good for pve purposes. I have ilvl 60 renown weapon and I can get a crafted ilvl 70 for relatively cheap but I'm wondering if there's a better way to get a weapon for dungeons.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Tried public events?

I know that's how I keep on getting random taking cannons that I'm never going to use.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    I'm actually not a fan of the whole interrupt armor system, at all.

I mean, maybe if it was something other than "everyone hit it with interrupt or you wipe" 99% of the time, but as implemented it just seems like an ability tariff.

In dungeons interuppting mobs for moments of opportunity (4 sec of stun+extra damage taken) was rather important to meet the timers. It also let you burn down bosses quickly.

And raidwise there were some funky gimmicks tied to it. One boss had a mechanic where you had to strip 20 IA over a set period of time, around 20-30 iirc. Every time armor got removed the boss did aoe damage, so you had to have 10 people with 2 IA removal skills (and backups since there were other things to interuppt during the fight) and assign an order. Then you had to trust people to pop their interuppt when they saw the raid had health, depending on how fast healers were getting people up.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Oh my god. I love the sound of that. Mostly because I really loved the General Vezax fight in Ulduar when I was interrupt duty.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I like it - I've found that it really lets them do some interesting stuff with boss mechanics. Maybe its a bit more brutal in raids - in dungeons its forgiving when you miss one, but pulling off a successful interrupt chain and triggering a moment of opportunity can turn a fight around and be really satisfying.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Yeah, as a filthy casual that sounds absolutely obnoxious.

• Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Sounds obnoxious, but the feeling afterwards of actually completing something like that is perfect. Such a good feeling when you look at stun reports on the Vezax fight and seeing a 100% stun rate. Even better when you're sitting at top damage dealt! :D

But I'm bads at Wildstar. I just shooting things and erp.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Have the adventures been tuned any since release? Our group found them very hit'n'miss when we originally played, some were fun, others just oddly difficult.

• Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    All PVE content for the most part I think have been tuned, possibly raids too, but stats have also changed so that might be the major difference, from what i've noticed tanks have more hp, dps have near or more deeps, and heals, well that might be the issue. Well it has been for me, as an esper with crap gear.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I have to admit I enjoyed the heck out of my brief turn at PVE healing in this. Surprised me as I'm usually a tank or dps player.

I'm in Ry's circle, but it's kind of sparse for the moment. Have any Dominion players found a guild home?

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    My guild has been taking in new people even though we're primarily a raiding guild. You're welcome to throw in a casual app at http://flyingpandas.org/.

• Options
    TrepperTrepper Registered User regular
    Anyone from "Big Damn Heroes" please PM me? Thanks.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Trepper wrote: »
    Anyone from "Big Damn Heroes" please PM me? Thanks.

I have a character in BDH but I'm also just member rank so I don't think I can help you. Last I checked none of the officers have logged in either, sadly. This might have changed now, hopefully someone does, but at the moment most of us are Dominion side. A few people are still Exile though, just not sure if they're in the guild.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Last couple times I've logged in I had no idea what I was doing. Having to redo my AMP settings, trying to find out what was the most optimal build, combat rotations, even where I should be questing and how to get there.

I'm almost considering starting a fresh character(seeing as the vast majority of my rewardamajigs are account wide, it's not like I'd be losing much, and I can always go back to my higher level mans iff'n I ever get a hang of things again).

Skwigelf on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Hunting rares can eat shit.

Barely tougher than normal mobs, and you need a good dozen of them to get the achievement for the zone. If they're anywhere *near* roads or quest targets, good fucking luck finding them already spawned.

And I don't know what the respawn is but it's at least a couple hours, so ugh.

Only reward is the achievement too, so it's basically just there to annoy completionists.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Oh, wow, got into a random group that was doing Ultimate Protogames (Dungeons that aren't Stormtalon can pop? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat.) , and was on the Elemental Hospital.

... D:

...I do find it funny that it's Crystal Chronicles, the dungeon event.

EDIT: FUCK. SLIMY. FEAST.

EDIT 2: And as soon as we start to get it down, they announce server maintenance.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Was only on for a few minutes last night so I queued for Infestation (or whatever it's called). First pop was me (medic), a stalker and a warrior. It went pretty smoothly and so I queued again. This time, 3 medics. Holy shit was that insane. The amount of aoe we did was crazy and it took only a few minutes to finish the whole thing. It was great. I was 3rd on DPS so I have to figure out my rotation better (probably mostly due to subpar keybindings), but damn medics are fun.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Just thought I'd let people know, in case you're Exile side on Entity, my guild is working on coordinating the third annual Thaydfest! If you want to know more, there's a forum post here.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Shade's Eve looooms...

Looking forwards to this, I love spooky stuff. The new holiday instance looks lovely.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Hah so apparently the trick or treat activity includes for real going door to door via the housing system. That's actually pretty cute and clever

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Man, this thread died out quickly =[
    Hopefully everyone is just enjoying their time in Nexus again.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Man, this thread died out quickly =[
    Hopefully everyone is just enjoying their time in Nexus again.

I've been waiting a bit for the server queues and lag to get way less crazy.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Anyone do the Back To The Future TOTALLY ORIGINAL Hoverboard racing event? Started yesterday the 21st, I missed the first day.
    Are the rewards obtainable without finishing the dailies every day?

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Just finished doing the races. They're pretty quick, and I don't think there's any score, all you need to do is finish while hitting the checkpoints along the way. They were really fun though!

Most of the rewards should be obtainable because they offer you 5 choices of rewards upon quest completion. I already have 3/4 Marty outfit.

Plus, lag seems mostly taken care of and I haven't run in to any queues since they opened Entity 2.

Saldonas on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you've been waiting on queues, they're gone. Loot lag still rears its head in raids, but I haven't seen much in dungeons.

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    Hoverboard races are fun, even with my lag. I'm digging being back in Nexus again. Holy crap, 68 boom boxes left to open o.O

Kinda sucks the Delorean/flairs are purchase only (is that right?) but at least they aren't too expensive omnibit wise (well, and they could be account bound, just saying). I just wish I had more time to play. All the QoL changes made seem fantastic. Fun times!

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    Papagander wrote: »
    Hoverboard races are fun, even with my lag. I'm digging being back in Nexus again. Holy crap, 68 boom boxes left to open o.O

Kinda sucks the Delorean/flairs are purchase only (is that right?) but at least they aren't too expensive omnibit wise (well, and they could be account bound, just saying). I just wish I had more time to play. All the QoL changes made seem fantastic. Fun times!

Yup, I just got a gift card and used some of the balance to buy the DeLorean hoverboard. *squee*

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    I doubt i'll even be in game much the next couple of months, and still that board calls to me..... I must have to have it!

I really shouldn't but I probably will buy it.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I get a lot of lag in Expeditions and dungeons. big spikes that last up to 4 or 5 seconds. That's not great!

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Hoverboard races are pretty awesome fyi. I hope they're recurring content and they add some more tracks. Can you imagine what a Farside hoverboard race would look like?

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    Hoverboard races are pretty awesome fyi. I hope they're recurring content and they add some more tracks. Can you imagine what a Farside hoverboard race would look like?

Orbits.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy