As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me fix my internet connection since my ISP seems unable/unwilling to do so

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's what I know so far:

Websites often don't load or refuse to load to completion - images are broken, videos fail to load, and sometimes sites just appear as a text dump. And that's IF they load at all. Any given website has about a 10% chance of responding to a request in my estimation, and if it doesn't come up the first time, it's not going to come up at all

sometimes, if I try again several hours later, I can manage to get through, but it never loads all the way - there are always broken images or video, and navigating from, for example, youtube's main page into a video works maybe 35% of the time - this connection is usually short lived and goes away inside of an hour

some sites, by contrast, seem to almost always work. The PA forums are a good example. I can get on and post just fine 99% of the time (though pictures and video are broken and links outside the PA domain rarely, if ever, work)

In the last week I've been able to get on youtube twice (see above), and my email hasn't worked yet. I've attempted to get on either of them 100+ times each. If sites don't work (I'm using chrome), I'll just get a notification that chrome is "Connecting..." until it times out.

It doesn't make a difference what browser I use, the result is the same

every other device in my home that uses a wireless connection - my mom's laptop, my 3DS, my PSvita, and my Kindle, all successfully connect to the wireless network itself (and displays as having a strong connection), but cannot connect to the internet or get any kind of connectivity through apps or anything else (eg Pandora, Nintendo E-shop, PSN, etc)

When I ran a connection test, I got a 19 down/ 6 up result, and ping tests to various servers come back around 30-35ms average with virtually zero packet loss

Steam doesn't seem to load properly either, with lots of dead pictures, etc, though for some reason I can still chat well enough and it downloaded the steam update the other day (68MB or something like that) in seconds - I can't fucking reconcile that. My brain is melting.

Changing DNS settings doesn't help

unplugging/unhooking the modem and leaving it for 30s/1m/2m/5m/etc does nothing, and neither does resetting my computer

and neither does resetting the modem while my computer is off (though hitting the reset BUTTON on the modem put my laptop into BSOD, which might be notable)

Tech support folks at ISP say there's nothing wrong with the modem or signal strength, but recommend that I swap out the modem for some reason?

Does anyone have ANY IDEA what is going on because I am at my wit's end and my ISP is dragging HELLA ass about it/talking to me like I'm a stupid baby.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    You say changing dns settings didn't work, does that include changing the actual server settings on the router to google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I think you have to restart modem and reboot PC after making that DNS server change too. If it's not DNS server and the ISP says everything else is fine then I'm not sure what could be going on. I'd make them send a tech out to install a new modem and make sure it works. Just verify they aren't going to charge you for it!

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I had a similar problem once. It involved my router and my modem having conflicting packet sizes or something. My memory is fuzzy and I will try to google for more, but in the likely event this ends badly I will leave this here to try and help someone else figure out the rest.

A quick google search revealed it was the MTU being off. Trying to find what is a good idea to change it to, but that is proving difficult and confusing.

Double edit: are you using a router and modem or just one? If both then just make sure the MTU numbers for both are the same. That caused a lot of similar problems for me once upon a time. It doesn't seem like there is really an average size, but the mismatch can cause problems.

Gnizmo on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    DDV, can you also tell us what hardware you have? How old it is?

I just ask because my internet started acting similarly when my ISP decided to stop supporting my modem/router because it wasn't DOCSIS 3 compatible.
    Their site should have a list of supported hardware, though with your internet acting so goofy, that isn't likely to be much help.

• Options
    Actually I wasn't 100% truthful, it looks like

If I try to ping youtube (one of the sites that I've noted consistently doesn't work) at 74.125.227.132, I lose 100% of my packets.

do you mean my hardware as in my laptop, or as in my modem/router thingy? Because my laptop is not the only machine that's being affected.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Modem/router hardware. After a while it can start to crap out-- I had a modem that caused similar issues to what you're experiencing.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    I had a similar problem once. It involved my router and my modem having conflicting packet sizes or something. My memory is fuzzy and I will try to google for more, but in the likely event this ends badly I will leave this here to try and help someone else figure out the rest.

A quick google search revealed it was the MTU being off. Trying to find what is a good idea to change it to, but that is proving difficult and confusing.

Double edit: are you using a router and modem or just one? If both then just make sure the MTU numbers for both are the same. That caused a lot of similar problems for me once upon a time. It doesn't seem like there is really an average size, but the mismatch can cause problems.

1492 is the most common.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Also potentially a malware issue. Just for kicks open up internet explorer (win+r, then "iexplore" if you've buried it)
    Click on the gear in the top right, and go to internet options. Click advanced. Click [Reset . . . ] Click [Reset]
    Restart your computer and try again.

• Options
    It started spontaneously working again.

After a week+ of being down. I am at a loss.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Did you have Time Warner by any chance?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Do you have satellite or cable? I have satellite with a 20GB limit (20GB extra after 2am until 8am) and when I use more then those 20GB I get throttled and have pretty much the same problems.

Tips: No more Youtube, torrents, or Netflix. Those are big data hogs and they eat it like candy. Limit downloads or do them elsewhere (I normally download stuff while at work).

Stop automatic updates. Windows, consoles, apps. Stop them. Like before they eat data more and you'll never know it.

Make sure your wifi is password protected. Or better yet, make it where only certain MAC addresses can access it.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I think my friends had a similar issue that started really recently, they just bought a new modem to fix the problem. They have Comcast.

• Options
    Nah, it's Mediacom.

And it would be great if I could use my own hardware, but I'm not allowed to. It has to be their hardware, and they have to make any changes (even something as simple as a password change) by logging in remotely from the company. I can't log in to the router at all.

Wait a minute. It started working again on the first of the month I think. Maybe I WAS being throttled.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Huh I like how they're situated in Middletown NY but don't offer services in NY whatsoever. I'd guess you were being throttled at this point, kinda weird that it just wouldn't load half the shit. Keep an eye on it though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Nah, it's Mediacom.

And it would be great if I could use my own hardware, but I'm not allowed to. It has to be their hardware, and they have to make any changes (even something as simple as a password change) by logging in remotely from the company. I can't log in to the router at all.

Wait a minute. It started working again on the first of the month I think. Maybe I WAS being throttled.

They insist they don't throttle, but at 250G I've seen it happen. I'm in IA and haven't noticed anything hinky going on with Mediacom in the past week, but a coworker who lives in a Des Moines suburb was having the exact problem you were having (some sites load, some slow, some not at all) back on 8/15 and the Twitter rep for Mediacom CS said they were looking into multiple reports of that happening.

wrong_button on
  • Options
    Huh.