As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All I want to do is [Dream] Thread

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I have dreams where I am confronted with a heinously clogged toilet and I have to fix it

come and live with my children, it'll be like a dream come true

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    For some reason last night I dreamt I was listening to an episode of the Best of Comedy Bang Bang and Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins were talking about a podcast that @Brolo did for some reason? Actually the reason they were talking about it was because Larlar guest-hosted an episode of it and they thought the whole thing was bafflingly absurd.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I had a weird dream last night where I was chugging some gross sour bitter wine for dream logic reasons. Then I woke up and my mouth tasted sour and bitter like in the dream, which faded away over 5 minutes or so. I wonder if that was psychosomatic, or if my mouth actually tastes like that and the usual way the brain filters out constant taste stimuli turned off while I was dreaming.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Just means you were about to awaken into reality until they managed to get your sleeping self to drink some more of the dream liquor, nothing to worry about.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Had an interesting dream last night, more than usual anyway, where it started with me being called into a room full of a Mafia-type "family" at a hotel conference they were renting the place out. The room was typical for a business meeting with lots of folding chairs, a projector, wood paneling on the walls, etc. Nothing unusual. I had been brought in for something, not entirely sure what but I knew that much at least.

One of the family members then pulls out a coin from thin air. It's a large, rusted coin without any identifiable head or tails markings, but it's also wrong in a way. The moment it's pulled out something discernably shifts in reality and the other family members immediately pull out coins of their own held in a way as if to ward off the first one. I hear something from the first person about not quite getting the trick of pulling it out of nothing.

That's about when someone realizes there's a person now missing from the group, a boy about ten years old. I'm not sure why but I feel I have to go find them, so I push against the wall of the conference room and the wood panels move like curtains as I step through, now knowing dream logic was needed to move around properly. Not that I was "aware" this was a dream, just that the rules of reality had changed with the appearance of those coins and ordinary physics no longer applied.

I find myself standing on a cement patio with a rectangular pond that stood completely still, the wall I'd gone through nowhere to be seen, the sun cycling between midday and sunset without ever reaching night. I knew the kid was somewhere in this place and that something else was now aware of us both being here.

I left the patio and found a long, sloping concrete path with high walls, buildings above without windows or doors. At the bottom of the slope was the boy, but as I got closer he turned and ran into a large parking garage entrance. Something told me he was getting closer to a very dangerous thing that lurked inside and I hurried in to find a woman approaching the boy from the far end of the parking garage that had become a long hall.

Everything told me the woman was the source of the danger and I immediately hooked a fireball the size of a car at her. There was a direct hit, but all it did was stagger her briefly. Long enough for me to grab the kid though. I launched another fireball and this time it did nothing as she kept coming and taunted me, saying that magecraft wouldn't work on her. Though she didn't actually say anything, the words just reverberated from all around her. I tested that with a blast of water and she staggered again before resuming her approach.

At this point I understand what she is because dream logic is informing me. She's the personification of Nothing and if she'd reached the kid he'd have vanished forever. Those coins are fragments of her essence and they distort reality. The kid didn't have a coin though, so when it was brought out he was essentially yanked into her realm. The reason I'd been unaffected was that I had an unconscious ability to alter causality in various ways, which was the whole point of me being brought in. I don't really know how, just that there was a lot of pushing and pulling involved that the dream was doing heavy lifting on for the results. That was also why Nothing even had a realm and physical form, I was forcing it to manifest by presence alone.

Of course I still couldn't fight it. It was the personification of the metaphysical concept of nothingness, not something in my weight class or weight galaxy. I could delay it though, which is what I did as I retreated. The kid was long gone so it was just me holding off the literal void as I looked for an escape.

Never did find the escape though. I woke up to the sound of "Magic" by the Mystery Skulls playing on my phone for my Spotify alarm and that was it for the dream. Shame, that'd have been a great BGM for the climactic escape.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The last two dreams I can remember were surprisingly boring.

First one wa me and some other people doing some archery but I think as mostly waiting for other people to collect their arrows and move targets around after I was allowed to shoot once at target maybe 3 m away.

Second one was a closeup of the back of a book, reading the descriptions and endorsements from other authors in a dramatic voice.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I dreamt that I watched an episode of master chef where someone baked a chocolate covered lobster and for a while after I woke up that seemed completely reasonable

Now I'm not so sure

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The dream started as some kind of nature documentary with a narrator who wasn't David Attenborough but was British and definitely wanted to sound like Attenborough. There was a big seabird rookery on some rocks, lots of nests and eggs and chicks and parents flying around with fish and poop on the rocks, and the camera panned to the edge of the rookery where there was a very different nest - an owl nest, with a big fluffy owlet who very much did not fit in with the rest. The narrator noted that she (the chick) too was waiting for her mother to return home with food.

Then there was a screech and car crash sound. You might think it was a weird needle drop, but there's a blur to the side and then you see a fender-bender on the side of the road. The owlet's Mum (British, remember) had borrowed a car to get groceries and had rear-ended Mrs. Badger's car (Mrs. Badger being a badger lady who was wearing a big fancy hat - no other clothes, just a big fancy hat). Sure, owl Mum could fly, but those groceries are heavy so she wouldn't be able to ferry them all back and forth, and how is she going to deal with the damage to the cars?

Then a noise woke me up, which was annoying because I really wanted to see where this was going.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I accidentally went full lucid dreaming last night just on accident I guess, so in the middle of this whole giant political machination/war posturing in a gothic high-sci-fantasy setting, I go "haha fuck this", manifest a talisman that allows me willpower based flight, and jump out the window.

Flying is the beeeeeeessssttttt.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I can't fly in my dreams and I'm a little jealous of people who can :sad:

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I can't fly in my dreams and I'm a little jealous of people who can :sad:

Its actually really sad to wake up from that feeling sometimes so dont stress about it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I don't even really fly so much as lift myself through will to get off the ground. Sometimes it's fast, mostly it's slow, and I build momentum over time until I can literally clip out of a dream into a completely different one given enough open space.

Gliding is fun though. Leap off the edge of a building and wheeee

Madican on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I just had a dream where a racoon and bat were best friends and they would travel together, the bat riding the racoon's like a backpack. When given treats, the racoon would roll on his back, his bat friend would climb to the racoon's tummy and they would share the treats because they are good brothers and love each other.

And now I'm back in this, the worst timeline where this isn't real.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I don't even really fly so much as lift myself through will to get off the ground. Sometimes it's fast, mostly it's slow, and I build momentum over time until I can literally clip out of a dream into a completely different one given enough open space.

Gliding is fun though. Leap off the edge of a building and wheeee

Yeah this is almost always how flight goes in my dreams. Minus the clipping.

Dang, it's been a long time since I've dreamed about flying.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I dreamt that there were people with their mouths sliced open kinda Mileena style.
    shades of Kuchisake-onna, ear to ear.
    Glasgow Smile except it hadn't been stitched or anything so it was just wide open

but the thing is they were moving around and if you locked eyes with them, they were compelled to catch you and cut your mouth too
    so it was all like, looking around out of your peripheral and hoods up and stuff

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I dreamed that Bubbles from The Wire got very drunk and was doing a Say Anything-style "romantic" stalking/lurking outside my house, occasionally trying to come in my inexplicably complicated puzzle box doors.

I didn't want to deal with him so I asked my boyfriend to go out and send him away, and he does such a good job they become best friends. Comes back in all "yeah he had terrible personal news and is going through Some Stuff but I convinced him to go get help from a professional, in the meantime I'm taking him to get food and maybe hit up a baseball game."

• Options
    I had a dream that it was just always night now and you had to be extra careful to avoid ghosts and also we were hunting a sorceress.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I have a reoccurring dream that I died during a military operation I was on some years back. It’s very disorienting. Am I truly alive? Is this scone real? This strawberry jam? I’m going to eat it. I’ll report back later.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if you're dead I'm probably dead too
    this does kind of feel like hell, maybe

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    There are at least two different instances in my life where I sometimes wonder if maybe I'm just having some very long terrible Owl Creek Bridge fantasy in the last second or so of dying.

Or maybe hell, sure. Everybody in my grade schools were always telling me that I would go to hell.

(I just want to not have nightmares so bad that I wake up and can't get back to sleep. Almost every night again.)

Mayabird on
  • Options
    I hope things improve for you @Mayabird

I can confirm the scone with jam was nice, as was the tea I had with it. So… I’m in Purgatory at least.

• Options
    To be fair, I grew up surrounded by Southern Baptists who believed that Methodists would go to hell because they weren't baptized right, and I was mostly told I would go to hell because I'm mixed race and God didn't want the races mixing which is why he stuck them in different places.

So, I might be in Southern Baptist hell which is almost certainly way better than their heaven, which would be filled entirely with Southern Baptists.

Still, would prefer not to have nightmares.

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    To be fair, I grew up surrounded by Southern Baptists who believed that Methodists would go to hell because they weren't baptized right, and I was mostly told I would go to hell because I'm mixed race and God didn't want the races mixing which is why he stuck them in different places.

So, I might be in Southern Baptist hell which is almost certainly way better than their heaven, which would be filled entirely with Southern Baptists.

Still, would prefer not to have nightmares.

I mean it goes without saying really, but everyone is mixed and should hope to be more mixed, which is why me and you are probably real good looking and anyone who’s family tree goes in circles looks like someone set all the sliders to max on the Dark Souls character creator.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Just had a weird one.

Walked down my driveway, which is pretty long, to find a massive boulder in the road with a car crashed partly on top of it. Like a steel tortoise mounting a rock. My dad was there trying to help somehow. We do not have the equipment to lift this car off this Boulder.

Skip ahead suddenly and we have inflated a stack of tires beneath the car, pushing it off the huge rock. But we're not in the road anymore, we're in the neighbors yard. It's like an alien planet, the grass is like blue and long, and there's flowers everywhere. It's a wild contrast to our yard right now which is mostly brown and dead.

Also it turns out that our neighbor is George R. R. Martin.

Skip ahead again and I am riding in a prius with GRRM and Sandra Bullock. My sister is driving and I am holding her guinea pig. (My sister does not drive a prius or own a a guinea pig) The guinea pig gets loose in the car and we crash through a flimsy barrier. The rode ahead is blocked by massive rocks all over the place, hence the barrier that we didn't see. A cop was trying to guide us but my sister was distracted by the loose guinea pig running around her feet.

Suddenly we are a little ways down the highway, on foot, and I realize that my truck is just parked back in the intersection where we crashed even though I wasn't driving originally. We turn around and head back.

So I'm jogging down the highway with GRRM and Sandy B. and we're talking about all kinds of stuff. George is super nice, and just...cracking mad jokes. Jokes for days. Conversely Sandra Bullock has not said one word to me all dream so I continue to not bother her.

Something happens with a big bald eagle as we jog down the highway and then I wake up.

And now I'm going back to bed because that was fucking exhausting.

• Options
    I think you stumbled into Stephen King’s mind palace. You now have to write a middling to good book that is made into a middling to good movie in ten years.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I had an awful dream last night.

I was in a like, high school gardening club, but we were growing crazy weird plants and fungi I'd never seen or heard of and the teacher in charge was basically Lurch.
    But! I made a bunch of brand new friends in the club, and we lived in and explored a grimy, expansive city.
    Then the friend who had been developing into a romantic interest killed herself.
    Then Lurch-teacher disappeared and the gardening club had never existed, and then one by one my friends blinked out of reality because the one who killed herself had been alone and had manifested an entire world of tulpa and when she died, she left me alone in an empty city.

• Options
    Over this last week, three nights in a row, I had the following three dreams-

Helping my good friend Hawkeye(comics more than movie) get ready for retirement by helping him give away years of secretly stashed neat SHIELD spy gear.

Visiting my partners friends who owned a series of lightly-haunted castles and mansions up in the Alps that were all connected by an extensive gondola system.

And lastly, being hunted for my flesh. Not so fun, that one.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Over this last week, three nights in a row, I had the following three dreams-

Helping my good friend Hawkeye(comics more than movie) get ready for retirement by helping him give away years of secretly stashed neat SHIELD spy gear.

Visiting my partners friends who owned a series of lightly-haunted castles and mansions up in the Alps that were all connected by an extensive gondola system.

And lastly, being hunted for my flesh. Not so fun, that one.

You need to go lucid. The obvious answer is to stop Hawkeye from retiring, arming yourself with his stash, visiting one of the castles, befriending the ghosts and learning the layout and secret bookcase passages—then begin your hunt.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Managed to not have a nightmare. Someone was doing a test opening (not a proper grand opening yet) for a new restaurant, and someone came in and ordered a dish that was going to be partially fried and have mozzarella and oysters in it. I had been interested in that dish but a little leery, but when it started cooking up it smelled so absolutely amazing that I wanted to try it too.

I did actually get a strong smell of both oysters and melting frying cheese in the dream all mixed together, and yes it was amazing. Makes me hungry just thinking about it again. It wasn't because anyone was cooking anything similar to that either in the house. Anybody else dream scents?

Mayabird on
  • Options
    Last night I dreamed that extra-dimensional Q-like aliens randomly selected me to defend the human race. They hauled me into a courtroom of sorts and asked me if I thought humans deserved to continue existing.

I started laugh-crying and said they were wasting their time because we're going to wipe ourselves out in three generations anyway, but if they were feeling generous we could really use their help :sad:

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    Last night I dreamed that extra-dimensional Q-like aliens randomly selected me to defend the human race. They hauled me into a courtroom of sorts and asked me if I thought humans deserved to continue existing.

I started laugh-crying and said they were wasting their time because we're going to wipe ourselves out in three generations anyway, but if they were feeling generous we could really use their help :sad:

I regret to inform you humanity will survive, under the harshest of conditions, for another thousand years. By then, we will have split off into the Virtual, Exodian, Para-Gravitational, High Disparate, Aquarius and Post-Synthetic factions, and those new species will live amongst the stars.

• Options
    This period of history will hardly be a footnote to their glories, all of us forgotten, a section of a single book.

Um… feel better?

• Options
    Not really but I figure existential rage/grief/dread is just something I'm going to have to learn to live with

It's not like I, personally, was ever going to see the glorious space-bound future of humanity anyway :P

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I had a pretty weird dream the other day where I lived in a different house. I entered a room I'd forgotten was there and notice that even though the door to the room was against the back wall of another room facing a set of windows looking out to the exterior of the house, the room behind it also had a set of windows that appeared to show the outside of the house against the wall it should've shared with the first room. The light of the sun coming from this "second outdoors" was of a different quality - like it was perpetually noon just before dusk instead of the first room's mid-day sun.

It was some real "House of Leaves" shit.

The new room also had an "80's sitcom" vibe to it. Like it was from the set of Married with Children or the Cosby Show or something, complete with a big-ass CRT television set.

And it was so quiet in there. Like it'd been partially soundproofed.

Gave me the willies. Even in the logic-proof confines of the dream I realized something wasn't right with that room.

• Options
    Super long all night dream that the world went all Gunslinger, and became sort of unbound, time and physics was broken, the most reliable technology was like late 1800s/early 1900s stuff, there were no more seasons, huge areas of land or groups of people would regularly just vanish or reappear somewhere else. Things were more stable at the new bottom and top of the world, which was just kinda like anchor points past which you couldn't go any further, but sometimes things would still come out of, and all along the remaining stretch of the world things changed and shifted.

• Options
    What even was that dream. There was an island, not a very big one but stereotypical "tropical" island, where everything that lived on it was insanely carnivorous. The animals, the insects, the fish in the ponds (but not the ocean surrounding the island), everything. So naturally a group of people decided they wanted to colonize the island, with me included because it's my dream and I have to be present in some way whether I want to be there or not. Naturally it doesn't take long for everything to go to shit as it turns out when I said everything that lived on the island was carnivorous it turns out that includes a group of idiots trying to settle on it.

Death is not an unusual thing in my dreams. It's rarely much more than a change in perspective and often does nothing at all. In this dream though I died repeatedly. A swarm of flesh-devouring bats, chased by a pack of dogs and torn to shreds, a flock of carnivorous pigeons, and yes several instances of carnivorous humans. Not even five minutes would pass before I'd get taken out like the world's worst roguelike, waiting to turn corporeal again so I could accomplish whatever inane goal dream-me felt was very important. At one point I was literally sitting on board a plane to escape the island, having died a dozen times trying to reach it in previous "lives", and I suddenly realize I forgot my luggage in the cabin that was now occupied by flesh-eating cannibals but I really needed it!

There was no luggage. There was never any luggage. I just got my face chewed off a dozen times instead after I walked in on them fucking and essentially alerted the horde. I didn't even escape from the cabin, I just woke up eventually and looked at the clock. Rather than chance going back to the dream I wrote this up instead to give my subconscious time to calm the fuck down. If I were capable of feeling anything in my dreams, all senses other than sight and sound are basically nonexistent for me, this might have been enough to call a nightmare.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I had a dream last night involving @tynic (Sorry tynic, I think you end up being a subject of my subconscious because you are one of the more visible members of the forums.)

So I dreamed that I was working at the same place as tynic and while people were standing around in the lounge talking about their weekend plans, tynic kept going on and on about this amazing campsite she found. Everyone was getting pretty annoyed because yes, we get it, it's a pretty awesome campsite, but she just kept going on about it.

Fast forward to later, I dreamed about other things in the meantime, but then I dreamed I was rowing a canoe down a river and came across a beautiful campsite. I was about to go ashore and set up my tent when I noticed someone else had already set up their tent. Sure enough, a few moments later tynic emerges from the tent and I shout across the river, "HEY THAT'S AN AWESOME CAMPSITE!" and she shouts back, "YEAH, I KNOW!" and I was so jealous because tynic found that awesome campsite first, and I couldn't have it.

Damn you tynic!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    well don't hold back, where was it???

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I think maybe the Winooski river in Vermont? I've only been there once in my life. Dreams are weird like that y'know?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)