As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Ahhhhhhhh) The Sim....s 4 - DAA DA DA DADAA DA DA DA DADADA DADADADA Play The Sims 4

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    And the 20 minutes I spent with the sim editor demo was enough to make some people that looked way better than anything I've ever made in 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I need to find the cracked article on the psycho house

They made their sims afraid of water, then put all the utilities on the other side of a pool

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    So if you can sort of nudge your sim into being depressive or antisocial, can you get them to be a creepy shut in, or suicidal? I demand answers. Killing Sims is the best part about these games

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So if you can sort of nudge your sim into being depressive or antisocial, can you get them to be a creepy shut in, or suicidal? I demand answers. Killing Sims is the best part about these games

I don't play these games sadistically, but one of mine lost at a gaming tournament and became sad and one of the options that popped up was to call a sadness hotline in order to cheer her up, so... maybe?

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    ATTENTION: ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED IN MAYBE BUYING THIS GAME BUT ISN'T SURE

IT IS FUCKING AMAZING

I have played for 4 hours
    and all I can think about is going home and playing more

sure, there aren't pools, but who gives a fuck?? the base game has started with shelves and rugs and all sorts of amazing shit which was never included in the base version before... also the young adult stage!! and so far the emotions thing is a lot of fun and really makes it more challenging to keep shit balanced and it's REALLY FUCKING GOOD YOU GUYSSSS

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Has anyone downloaded celebs from the gallery? Some look amazing. Disappointed in no Kanye but they have Kim!

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    What no Kanye

• Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    Not sure I want to pay $60 for this but then I looked at my time played on Sims 3 and it is over 100 hours. How much of that time was loading screens, fast forwarding through sleep/work, and watching sims struggle to position themselves to start an animation? Probably lots...but some of that is better now?

Maybe if I'm bored tomorrow.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Reviews of this are pretty grim, but it could be one of those things where individual preference probably trumps a lot of the stuff the bad reviewers are coming up with.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I'm dumb and make impulse buys so this is currently downloading what is wrong with me?

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    natek wrote: »
    I'm dumb and make impulse buys so this is currently downloading what is wrong with me?

everything.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news
    j/k
    or am I

Invectivus on
  • Options
    natek wrote: »

Nothing, turns out it's a fun game.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Geth agrees, he also enjoys creating human characters and controlling and manipulating their lives for his own dark amusement

yay dark amusement!

I don't have the money for this game, but it looks fun, despite hearing there are bad reviews (I haven't seen any, I tend not to trust reviews anyway)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It isn't remarkably different and it's missing a lot if you're used to Sims 3 with a bunch of expansions, but it's about where base Sims 3 was at release. However, the create-a-sim is a million times better and it doesn't run like ass.

• Options
    Better building tools and create-a-sim while also not running like crap is all I'm really looking for. A fresh, simple start will probably push me to have fun with stories and building instead of just using it as a time sink when bored a la Sims 3.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    No Kanye? No sale!

Nah but really I find myself interested in this but have no money for it, so

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    So, I got this and I started playing it

thus far I'd have to say my only real like, what I'd call actual disappointment is the careers

like, I get that it's the base game and of course there is going to be a limited amount

but they went with a fuckin' weird shotgun blast of choices for the like, less than 10 that are in here

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Yeah. The career choices are bizarre. Secret agent, but not law enforcement. Astronaut, but not military. Pro gamer, but not pro athlete.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...I always started my character out in Law Enforcement or as a Scientist.

• Options
    so yeah, played a bunch more Sims 4

my verdict, thus far is

needs more content, and I don't just say that in comparison to Sims 3 with all its expansions but just in comparison to what Sims 3 shipped with

like, there's only 8 careers (Sims 3 shipped with 11), and most of them are weird goofy shit that are sorta questionable as career choices and should be like, branches of regular careers? like Secret Agent is it's whole own career rather than a branch of Law Enforcement. Why? That's dumb. I can make a dude who is a Secret Agent but not a cop? C'mon, game.

the clothing options are super limited, especially with the lack of Create-A-Style. I understand Create-A-Style was a huge performance hit and since the game does perform way better, I'm fine with axing Create-A-Style, but I think that means they really needed to ship the base game with a lot more clothing and accessory options than they did. And with a lot more styles to choose from than "twentysomething millenial West Coast hipster". Like, I get it, target demos and all that, but since the rest of the game's architecture and furniture and stuff isn't trying to be modern or contemporary (and is instead this weird kind of blocky... unreal... something?), it's kinda incongruent.

the basic gameplay is a big improvement, I like the emotion system and the way conversations work now and the moodlets and how Sims can multitask. The needs bars seem to depreciate and gain at a much smoother rate for the timespans that Sims themselves exist on (my dude can actually get up, have a shower, and eat a quick breakfast before work on a reasonable timespan now, which he couldn't do in Sims 3 without getting up like three and a half hours before work). There's far less traits and lifetime wishes overall, but that's actually one change that is okay with me because they seem to be more broad and useful than they were in Sims 3. Sims 3 actually had too many Traits, most of which were really banal or were deceptive in how little they actually affected your Sim's behaviors or interactions with others. I'm in favor of less Traits that are more potent than the other way around, and Sims 4 seems to do that, so that's good.

so all in all, Sims 4 will probably be pretty sweet like, after like 1-3 major expansions

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I will say, the new house building tools look fucking incredible.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Did shitty furniture make a comeback? I was always a fan of giving my sims stained couches, plastic lawn chairs, and Formica-filled kitchens to start out with, and then slowly replacing them as they earned more money.

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »
    I will say, the new house building tools look fucking incredible.

They are. I don't really get deep into architecture in these games, but a few times now i've needed a bit more space for a bar or for a couch one of my sims got as a reward. Go into build mode, click, click, drag- now that room is a few tiles larger. I can imagine someone wanting to make something entirely from scratch would have a really easy time at it.

We'll see how it goes when they get enough money to add a second floor on.

• Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    I won't be buying this for a while because I have a ton of other games to play - I'm glad it sounds like the improvements they've made are good, but I'm kind of baffled at a few of the things they left out. The careers is definitely a weird one, and am I right in thinking that all the lots are completely flat? No terrain deformation at all? That seems like a huge loss for those who like to landscape and make cool lots. My mum has played hours and hours of Sims 3 making houses, and she was super excited about the new flexible architecture tools, but no landscaping is probably enough to put her off buying.

Do you still get to make choices about how you spend your time at work? Work harder, schmooze with colleagues, etc? Because I feel like that was one of the things that really added depth to Sims 3 over previous games.

Without having played it I guess I can't really comment, but there's definitely a vague feeling of them getting this game out as a bit of a cash grab so they can get into the next cycle of expansions.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Got this the day it came out (my fiance is a Sim-maniac) we both agree that the create a sim is much better now, but would like more options for hair and clothing and the like. Losing the color editor mode or whatever bugs her a lot more than it bugs me, since I almost never went in there in Sims 3 because it chugged something fierce and I just didn't want to deal with that. Likewise she is still trying to learn the new build mode as she has a lot more to unlearn than me, but it looks pretty rad from my perspective. I found the build mode in 3 to be more work than it was worth while I may actually use this one.

The game plays much more smoothly and my Sims seem to be able to do more things in a day (it no longer takes an hour to shower for instance), the multi-tasking is great and really makes the world feel more real. It also looks a bit nicer, but graphics aren't hugely important in these games.

My biggest complaint is having to load new lots, especially given the eye-blinding stark white loading screen, ouch.

Overall I think the new engine is pretty cool, and I think the issues I have with it can mostly be fixed by adding content later.

• Options
    Lots are completely flat but honestly I don't miss it? landscaping honestly was my least favourite part of the sims house making, i always kept my shit flat so i could build more stuff.

the careers have SO MUCH TO THEM with challenges and different trees i dont mind at all, and they have unlockable items and shit

you make choices about how you spend time at work

• Options
    most of the negative reviews i've read of the game seem to be from people who just dont like the sims

i dont miss pools at all, but with the new party system i'm super excited for when they do release what will probably have pool parties.

i dont really miss the clothes, like, and they include awesome shit like rings on many fingers and whatnot. I really do miss the colour editing mode though.

i wish my friends wouldnt show up at my house daily, its weird. but its nice that i dont have to call people over all the fucking time, and that i can just go to my corner and wave to my neighbours and its like hey whatsup neighbourino

and christ, everything runs SO SMOOTH AND BRILL ITS SO NICE.

• Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Lots are completely flat but honestly I don't miss it? landscaping honestly was my least favourite part of the sims house making, i always kept my shit flat so i could build more stuff.

the careers have SO MUCH TO THEM with challenges and different trees i dont mind at all, and they have unlockable items and shit

See, this is the stuff I want to hear - one of the things I liked about the Sims 3 is that they added a hell of a lot of detail and depth over Sims 2, so I would've been sad if they'd taken that away and left everything stark and boring.

I still think the flat lots sucks because it doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'll add in later, though I guess I could be wrong. I'm not huge on landscaping either but it just seems like something they took out because they couldn't be bother re-implementing it or something.

• Options
    Kochikens wrote: »

I actually like lots being flat because it felt like anytime I went to build something in 3 I could never flatten out the terrain correctly to fit the damn thing I want to put down.

• Options
    The life goal or whatever it's called is much better this time around, instead of being a ton of points after you meet some ridiculous goal (and are probably done playing that sim anyways) it generates a bunch of little goals to level up to your goal, and each goal gives you some points. Like a more fleshed out version of those mini-goals that you had in 3 (and still exist for 4) except now you have access to those always and they aren't taking up one of your four goal slots.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I don't play the Sims, but I love reading other people's stories about turning their houses into bizarro psychology experiments and Saw style murder factories.

So. Y'know. Get on that ASAP, plz.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I think I remember some people being horrified at how almost everybody played The Sims back in the day.

Like of course you built a pool and then removed the ladder, or built a library ringed by fireplaces without a door.

But yeah, people acting like anyone who did that were monsters

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I miss some of the traditional jobs but I figure they'll be back with the expansions. Love the new create-a-sim.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Alright I got this. I'm the worst.

I'm really wondering what they're gonna do with DLC stuff - Sims 3 came a bit before and during the whole rise of DLC, so you had traditional expansion packs but also lots of online-only DLC, so...

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait to have this game

• Options
    So...my sim gets home from work with low energy and fun, so I invite a sim over, woohoo, then go to sleep. Then, while my sim is sleeping, she cleans my place and leaves. I've done this multiple times. I'm a scumbag.

• Options
    So...my sim gets home from work with low energy and fun, so I invite a sim over, woohoo, then go to sleep. Then, while my sim is sleeping, she cleans my place and leaves. I've done this multiple times. I'm a scumbag.

the other Sim goes home and posts on r/relationships

• Options
    so i have given up in this Sims 4 playthrough of this dude trying to meet a nice girl in town and settle down because somehow he keeps running afoul of his prospective romance option's work schedule

or maybe the game has evolved to like, create "I uh... got work tomorrow..." as an excuse and A Nice Sim Like Him just can't get a date

either way dude can't get a date going and I want to find out how the dating/romance/marriage/child-raising mechanics are like

so I think I'm just going to start over and make a pair of Sims who start out as room-mates and just be like "now... kiss"

that should be less work

• Options
    edited September 2014
    My main household is a pair of sisters. One is a huge techie, spending most of the day on the computer or the library. The base salary for a tech job is about 40 simoleons an hour, and it goes up pretty quickly. I think she's at about 90/hr right now. She basically bankrolls the entire household.

Her sister, when she's not cooking up a storm or fixing/upgrading every appliance in the house, is going on dates with as many guys as she can. Her traits basically make her able to meet someone then end up in bed with them a few hours later. Her sister usually comes home from work to find a new guy emptying the trash can, because for some reason every single person who comes to visit can't stand to see a half-full trash can. A lot of her trawling for fellas is done at the gym, since she's also pretty active. She has a job as a chef at the moment, which pays about half as much as her sister's job even at the same career rank. I'm probably going to switch her out of that at some point though since the hours are kind of terrible and raising the Mixology skill is a pain in the ass.

It's too bad you can't build commercial buildings, because only having the one bar is getting kind of dull. At least, I don't think you can.

So far the only thing I don't like mechanics-wise is not being able to see a sim's needs or work performance if they aren't at the current location.

Aistan on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Totally forgot what thread this was, and was reading that post just going, "...what?"