As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[College Football] Old thread

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    So, I assume you've all heard about Jameis Winston's legal troubles today

FSU fans must be really crabby about this. Winston only seems to think of himself-how shellfish can he be?

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I can't say that I blame him for acting out. He's just tired of being a prawn in their system.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Protocol at Publix IS different from procedure at Winn Dixie, a store which we know Winston has purchased crab legs before.

what

i mean, ok, but what does this even mean

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Protocol at Publix IS different from procedure at Winn Dixie, a store which we know Winston has purchased crab legs before.

what

Tomahawk Nation is a bunch of shameless homers?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    What other stores has Winston previously purchased crab legs at? I must know!

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

what

Tomahawk Nation is a bunch of shameless homers?

They are either implying that
    a) the procedure of ordering crab legs is different at winn dixie, and that would have confused Winston enough for him to leave the store with crab in hand for some reason?
    b) procedure for enforcement of shoplifting is different?

I don't know, the tweet wasn't in response to anything, so its hard to see their angle on this.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    oh i didn't know i had to buy these, at the winn dixie they just let me steal everything

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Well, you see, Winn Dixie has a "Free Crab Legs for FSU QBs" promotion, and that's the only store he's shopped at, so he assumed that was the case everywhere

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Steam
  • Options

what

the best part of this is how they know where he's bought crab legs before

do FSU fans keep up to date on this sort of thing?

"oh man, Winston's buying ground beef at Walmart today! He must be trying to bulk up in the offseason."

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Well, you see, Winn Dixie has a "Free Crab Legs for FSU QBs" promotion, and that's the only store he's shopped at, so he assumed that was the case everywhere

Hilariously, have he just been given the crab by the store he would be in way more trouble with the NCAA than being caught shoplifting with them.

Steam
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Oh hey, College Football thread is active again! That means I can get around to posting my tl;dr on NCAA REFORM-GATE 2014.

You see, this whole saga has been going on for awhile, with the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit and the Northwestern players being recognized as employees by the National Labor Board (they voted recently on whether to unionize, and while the votes can't be revealed until the appeal is over, insiders believe players voted against a union). At the crux of all the arguments is the idea that the NCAA doesn't actually give a shit about student-athletes, no matter what their ads may say.

So, on April 25th, the NCAA had meeting, and announced some reforms. Here is a list:

Autonomy for the Big 5 conferences - Remember when there were all those threats for the power conferences to break away from the NCAA? Well, the NCAA took them seriously enough to grant them a level of autonomy in making rules. What this means is that the Big 5 conferences (SEC, Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, ACC) can make rules pertaining to themselves in regards to how they treat student-athletes, that the smaller conferences can then choose to adopt on a case by case basis. This includes full-cost scholarships (yes, student-athletes don't actually get the full cost of going to school in their scholarships currently), four-year scholarships, and educational trusts to allow student-athletes to continue their education once their eligibility is up.

Students get a voice!.....kinda - One of the main goals of the Northwestern Union movement was to give student-athletes a voice in how their sport is governed, considering they're the ones putting in the work to make it happen. Well, the NCAA listened, and in their new 38-person council structure, student-athletes will be represented......by 2 spots. So basically it now looks like student-athletes will have a voice while in reality they will still have 0 power.

Transfer rules - As it currently stands, players who wish to transfer schools must sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility (this does not apply to graduate transfers). This stands in stark contrast to their coaches, who are free to hop from job to job without penalty if they so choose. The NCAA is looking to enact a new rule which would still require players to sit out a year upon transferring, but would add on an extra year of eligibility to balance the scales. Coaches still have the option of limiting where student-athletes can transfer to, but this is at least a step in the right direction.

Increased benefits allowed - Under the new proposed rules, schools can now pay for travel expenses of families for situations such as postseason play, and parking passes so they can come to practices. Families are also allowed to take out "loss-of-value" insurance, which protects players in the event of a career-ending injury in college. Schools may also be allowed to pay for pre-enrollment expenses such as medical evaluations and transportation to and from campus. The big one (a permissible benefit only applicable to the Big 5) would be less stringent rules governing agents and allowing student-athletes to make money in non-athletic endeavors.

Unlimited food - Now NCAA Basketball Tournament MVP Shabazz Napier will never have to worry about going hungry.

The proposal won't be ratified until August, and there's still a ways to go for this to be palatable to all sides (for example, this still doesn't effect the O'Bannon lawsuit or Jeffrey Kessler's monopoly lawsuit), but it is a step.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    When i worked at Walmart one of my coworkers was fired for coming in drunk and trying to steal a live lobster by putting it in his pants.

• Options
    Had he already been punished by lobster justice?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Isn't putting a live lobster in your pants punishment enough?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    They have rubber bands on their claws so sadly he was not pinched in the weiner or gonads

• Options
    I feel like the appropriate punishment is to remove the rubber bands, not fire him.

Sometimes, I am Hammurabi.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    NCAA rules restrict Boise State fans from helping out homeless football player

Boise State filed for a waiver, and that waiver was granted only after significant media attention was brought to the situation.

Feeling pretty upset about this rn

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I can completely understand Boise State wanting to cover their rear, all things considered. And on the on the bright side, yay that media attention changes stuff.

On the down side, well, it's still NCAA rules.

• Options
    1. It's only two months until college football begins again!
    2. I plan to run the pick em again, with a couple of changes to make it more interesting.
    3. The O'Bannon trial is ongoing. Sbnation has good coverage, D&D had a thread dedicated to it.

• Options
    I can explain the O'Bannon trial thus far in 4 words:

The NCAA is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Also I can do conference previews again if anyone wants those.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The NCAA called a witness that, in court, said that the NCAA is a cartel. But it's the good kind of cartel, whatever that means.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    The judge hearing the case previously ruled that any college athlete who has appeared in televised game footage since 2005 was automatically a class-action plaintiff, and therefore could not be called to testify on behalf of the defense.

The best the NCAA could come up with was Jim Delaney, a former North Carolina point guard who played in the '60s, a former Kent State basketball player from the '70s named Chris Plonsky, and Diane Dickman, who played college golf in the '80s for Tulsa.

Jim Delaney is the current commissioner of the Big Ten, Chris Plonsky is the current athletics director at Texas, and Diane Dickman is the NCAA's current director of academic and membership affairs.

:|

• Options
    One of the best arguments the NCAA made was that the television contracts were so that the tv networks could show the stadiums, and if the teams were there, oh well. Then the O'Bannon plaintiffs showed one of the current contracts which discussed broadcasting the players specifically, and the CBS dude had to just sit on the witness stand awkwardly.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Nirya wrote: »
    One of the best arguments the NCAA made was that the television contracts were so that the tv networks could show the stadiums, and if the teams were there, oh well. Then the O'Bannon plaintiffs showed one of the current contracts which discussed broadcasting the players specifically, and the CBS dude had to just sit on the witness stand awkwardly.

You have an odd definition of the word "best", unless you mean it in the "entertaining for an outsider" way. That was always a terrible argument, even without that contract.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    I meant "best" as in "I can't believe someone thought this was a legitimate argument to make in court to a judge who isn't putting up with any of your bullshit."

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Anyone want to come over to my house for my Stanford Stadium watching party?

It's gonna be really fun!

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    Anyone want to come over to my house for my Stanford Stadium watching party?

It's gonna be really fun!

I have been to Stanford Stadium.

It is more entertaining than the football team that plays there #jokes

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Apparently Oklahoma gave Bob Stoops a fat raise today. Now he's at $5.25M/season, 2nd highest behind only Saban.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    I want to participate in the pick league

• Options
    People give Stoops a lot of flack for losing big games now and again, but really, who else are they going to get? And he beat the pants off Alabama a couple of months back.

• Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    Stoops is unquestionably the best thing to happen to Oklahoma Football since Switzer let it get out of control. Pay that myan his mahney.

• Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    I like Stoops since he was a damn fine defensive coordinator for us and he didn't beat us in 2009.

• Options
    The first Coaches Poll of the year is out! College Football is almost here.

1 Florida State (56) 0-0 1543
    2 Alabama 0-0 1455
    3 Oklahoma (3) 0-0 1382
    4 Oregon (1) 0-0 1314
    5 Auburn 0-0 1271
    6 Ohio State (1) 0-0 1267
    7 UCLA 0-0 1085
    8 Michigan State 0-0 1050
    9 South Carolina (1) 0-0 1009
    10 Baylor 0-0 965
    11 Stanford 0-0 955
    12 Georgia 0-0 905
    13 LSU 0-0 833
    14 Wisconsin 0-0 654
    15 USC 0-0 627
    16 Clemson 0-0 535
    17 Notre Dame 0-0 509
    18 Arizona State 0-0 358
    19 Ole Miss 0-0 346
    20 Texas A&M 0-0 266
    21 Kansas State 0-0 257
    22 Nebraska 0-0 228
    23 North Carolina 0-0 175
    24 Texas 0-0 143
    25 Washington 0-0 142

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I know full well that preseason polls are an exercise in futility, but I'm still very annoyed that UCF didn't break into the top 25.

Adding to that annoyance is the fact that we finished 10th in the polls last year, but apparently Baylor - the team that we beat despite a projected blowout loss in a BCS bowl - deserves that spot more.

Don't get me wrong, I like Baylor a lot, but some consideration would be nice. We lost a quarterback to the draft, not an entire team.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    There's been a lot going on in Austin with our new coach lately...this season should be pretty interesting

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    college football starts this month

*football intensifies*

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I know full well that preseason polls are an exercise in futility, but I'm still very annoyed that UCF didn't break into the top 25.

Adding to that annoyance is the fact that we finished 10th in the polls last year, but apparently Baylor - the team that we beat despite a projected blowout loss in a BCS bowl - deserves that spot more.

Don't get me wrong, I like Baylor a lot, but some consideration would be nice. We lost a quarterback to the draft, not an entire team.
    We lost Storm Johnson too, actually; both went to Jacksonville. We still have a bunch of players from last season though, (including Worton), so that's good.

edit: Looking at the full poll, as far as getting votes is concerned, UCF is 28th. Still disrespectful, but at least they got votes.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Notre Dame at 17?

That's...reasonable.

But the best part of the preseason polls is seeing how overrated ND is.

Thanks for ruining my fun, coaches.

• Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    2 Alabama 0-0 1455
    3 Oklahoma (3) 0-0 1382

I'm assuming this is a clerical mistake and that it will be fixed before the end of the day.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
This discussion has been closed.