As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: 1.7.5 has arrived and oscillating turrets are the new HOTness!

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm grinding out jet modules.
    Eventually, you stop feeling it.

The hurt that never goes away is the crew grind.
    8.0 and above you need at least Expert crew to even be in the game, and Ace is actually pretty crucial.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I saw this on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/4znuds/163_incomplete_vehicle_list_leaked/
    USA:

M163 Vulcan, and maybe something else on M113 base.

Germany:

Leopard 1A1

Flakpanzer Gepard (SPAAG)

Versuchsflakwagen 8.8cm FlaK

Britain:

A1E1 "Independent"

Fv438 "Swingfire"

Fv4202 experimental tank

USSR:

KV-122

Shilka & Enisei are still possible but unconfirmed

Also: boats

Versuchsflakwagen 8.8cm FlaK

1f2veezp74yk.jpg

I NEED this.

NEED.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    FV438 huh

We're getting space marine whirlwinds

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Sadly I doubt that it will be allowed to perform it's signature indirect fire attacks.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Okay, I need some help here. I can't figure out what the fuck is going on.

In sim mode, the simplest ACM is resulting in me losing control of the aircraft.

Like, attempting a barrel roll (pull up, roll left or right, continue to roll and pull) results in my aircraft stuttering and then going into some kind of spin.

This happens at basically all entry speeds and any attempted strength of the maneuver (e.g., a lazy barrel roll seems to be as affected as an aggressive one).

Like, I cannot complete a loop at all, because somewhere nearing vertical my plane just starts spinning and I end up either facing straight up or spinning a lot and facing straight down. It doesn't matter if I'm doing 200mph or 300mph upon pulling up initially.

WTF is going on? Needless to say, this has resulted in ridiculously short plane lives in Enduring Conflict.

(Also, enemy vs. friendly recognition is basically impossible in Sim mode with the Rift until you are literally right on top of the plane. Friend / foe markers need to show up way the fuck sooner.)

HAHAHAH.

Okay, for anyone else seeing similar issues?

Yeah. The answer is that the default settings for the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - you know, one of the most common starter joysticks? - are complete and total bullshit in War Thunder.

I finally hit on the right combo of search terms to determine that, basically, lots of people have the exact same problem. The default settings are super aggressive on the stick, which causes you to almost immediately separate the airflow from the wing under any maneuver with more than about 10% stick applied, stalling you and causing you to go into a spin.

A few tweaks to the settings later (thanks mostly to the YouTube video below) and I'm back to being able to fly. Scored two quick kills in Sim battles last night in two sorties (first one shouldn't count because my trim tab settings got all messed up!), and then I spent the rest of the evening kinda messing around.

Visual identification of targets vs. friendlies is still a real challenge in the Rift at anything beyond point-blank range - though my team as flying a lot of P-38s last night, so that made things a bit easier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWloc43J1HY

• Options
    That does sound like it would make IFF easier. Just look at the target really hard. If it bursts into flames, then it's an allied p38.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    That does sound like it would make IFF easier. Just look at the target really hard. If it bursts into flames, then it's an allied p38.

It's sad how true this is.

• Options
    Also, I should mention, one of the neatest things is sitting in a P-38 in the Rift. Just looking at the big engines on either side ... Damn, it's awesome.

German planes are still bullshit, though. :D

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I do think that the p38 is a gorgeous plane. It and the P61 black widow are the primary incentives I had to unlock American planes.

And that cockpit view! Gorgeous! I bet that's a boon in Sim.

I mostly fly in arcade, and its .50's feel a bit anemic in the arcade damage model after the latest round of .50 Cal nerfs, and I eternally lament how those outermost fuel tanks are supposed to be empty at lower fuel levels. I swear that what few kills I get with the plane these days are pilot snipes and destruction of tail control.

Edit :

Oh God. I bet that the Duck is the most claustrophobic thing to fly in a rift. From cockpit view, it looks like you're flying a toaster. They had to stick some of the instruments on the engine housings because they ran out of room in the cockpit.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I do think that the p38 is a gorgeous plane. It and the P61 black widow are the primary incentives I had to unlock American planes.

And that cockpit view! Gorgeous! I bet that's a boon in Sim.

It really is. The difference between flying that and, like, the Corsair (my own personal poison) is night and day.
    I mostly fly in arcade, and its .50's feel a bit anemic in the arcade damage model after the latest round of .50 Cal nerfs, and I eternally lament how those outermost fuel tanks are supposed to be empty at lower fuel levels. I swear that what few kills I get with the plane these days are pilot snipes and destruction of tail control.

Yeah, 50s are just ... It sucks, because I prefer to fly American planes, and the American Model in WW2 is "ALL THE 50S! AND ALL THE AMMO!!!" which means it takes a lot of trigger time to actually kill something, compared to the Krauts who just need a couple close whiffs to blow you right the hell up, it seems.
    Oh God. I bet that the Duck is the most claustrophobic thing to fly in a rift. From cockpit view, it looks like you're flying a toaster. They had to stick some of the instruments on the engine housings because they ran out of room in the cockpit.

Is that the German HS-129? I don't own it, but maybe I can get a test flight in it ... Probably not, though - haven't flown many German planes.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Yes, the hs129. I think that you should be able to test fly the premium version. It's basically exactly the same except for the premium boosts.

I need to double check, but I think that the Romanian duck is still my most profitable plane. People are compelled to head-on the thing.

Eventually my HE 219 is gonna catch up though. 2x 20mm mg151, 2x 30mm mk103, 2x 30mm mk108. All tightly packed near the center of the fuselage. 15 kg/s burst mass. It just BRRRRRRRTTTTTs things dead.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Question, a long time ago I had purchased a package that contained a P-38G. After coming back over a year absence, it shows up in my list of vehicles, but it won't let me fly it outside of test flights. It says I need to purchase a Pacific package of some sort. Did this happen to anyone else?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Syngyne There's several P-38s now. The XP-38 is the one that comes with the Pacific package

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Have you checked the other nations? I thought that there was a British package that contained a p38.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Not that I will ever, ever, ever unlock it, though.

• Options
    AHAHAHHAHAHAH!

Played an Arcade match tonight because I didn't have a lot of time and I had a +500% research booster about to expire.

I recently bought a new crew for my American board, and for some reason it came with the newer American biplane. Since I didn't have the silver to train the crew in anything decent, I left the biplane there. So I've got a Corsair, a Lightning, a Thunderbolt, a B-25 (?), a PB&J, and ... a biplane.

No shit, I shot down a FW-190 in the biplane on the rice paddy map by shredding his tail just enough he hit the mountain. Take that, kraut!

• Options
    edited September 2016
    That Focke-Wulf deserved it. He should have paid more attention to his surroundings before diving into the fray. Times like that I wish that they still had the "David" award for really rewarding people with a substantial SL bonus for taking down a far more advanced plane with their weaker one.

Speaking of focke-wulfs that should have broken off their attacks and climbed again for another pass instead of following their target through their maneuvers, I want to share this clip from a few weeks back where I schooled a focke-wulf with some defensive flying.

I'm flying a BF-109 G14 armed with three mk108 30mm cannons in arcade mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=846l1c7TBo0

Most German players that I've interacted with seem to express a distinct preference for the FW-190 line with the FW-190 D9 being their most beloved plane. I just feel more influential to the outcome of the match in my BF-109's.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Mimicking every maneuver, not even trying to slow down... that wasn't a kill, that was euthanasia.

Hey, we could get 'lucky' and it'll end up being a premium-only vehicle!

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Mimicking every maneuver, not even trying to slow down... that wasn't a kill, that was euthanasia.

Hey, we could get 'lucky' and it'll end up being a premium-only vehicle!

Slow down is never the right answer

If you've got higher momentum than your target and they go into horizontal maneuvers to shake you off the correct response is break off, regain energy, and set up for another pass

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I think what Zibblsnrt meant by slowing down was using some vertical maneuvers slow down your forward movement while still maintaining most of your energy.

Something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyRO1gmOnFc

But yeah, that FW-190's death was most entirely his own fault. A mix of pilot error and I suspect stock syndrome.

I checked the replay later to view the fight from his perspective. Unbeknownst to me, I had overlooked his presence and he was pursuing me throughout almost the entire engagement. Each time that he almost got guns on me and nicked me with machine guns, I was expecting to take damage from other sources (stray fire from the B-25's turrets, MG rounds from the Ki).

Given that FW-190's have more guns than sense and can't do much more than boom and zoom, he should have followed Elldren's suggestion and completely broken off the attack and climbed in preparation for a new dive on me.

Instead he followed m through all of my maneuvers and nestled in directly on my tail. It was basically game over for him once I knew he was there and it was the two of us alone. At that altitude/speed and with us at similar energy levels, my 109 simply maneuvers significantly better than him. He dives better than me but we didn't have enough altitude for him to dive away from me. His best hope after making that mistake was keeping me busy long enough for a teammate to come along and help him (like that F-82 almost did).

He might have been able to get away with it if his guns were to knock me out of the fight before I could maneuver in response to him. He might have been using stock belts, and german MG151 stock belts are particularly garbage. Only 25% of the rounds are the vaunted German mine shells. The other three rounds are two tracers and a much less devastating APHE round. I have seen a lot of FW-190 players lean too heavily on their firepower to just try to sucker punch as many planes as they can before they inevitably have someone maneuver behind them to kill them.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I mean you can high yo, which is effectively a mini zoom and second pass, but unless the target has enough energy themselves they would get away after a full climb or they are on their own it's safer and more efficient to do a proper zoom climb, reorient, and make another guns pass.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Which is weird because the P-38 was considered quite durable in real life.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    My understanding is that it's an issue with how war thunder handles fuel tanks.

P-38's carried a lot of fuel and had some pretty god tier range/endurance. But when they actually got into fights, the tanks in their wings would be empty. But in war thunder, even with minimal fuel loads, those tanks are being treated as containing fuel and quite a bit of fuel at that. So they burst into flames really easy.

Anyway, I have a deep hunger for more planes. Post your highlight reels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLBM4SUm38

Pictured in this video is what is IMO the best custom skin for the BF109 G2's and F4's. It's based off of Yellow 13's SU-37 from Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies.

http://live.warthunder.com/post/365856/en/

uvai2ca3dpj5.jpg

8nx3f43hdm9f.jpg

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options

P-38's carried a lot of fuel and had some pretty god tier range/endurance. But when they actually got into fights, the tanks in their wings would be empty. But in war thunder, even with minimal fuel loads, those tanks are being treated as containing fuel and quite a bit of fuel at that. So they burst into flames really easy.

This is why every pacific war plane bursts into flames if you look at them funny

Though IJN planes didn't have self sealing fuel tanks so they really did catch fire rather easily

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I found this awesome clip posted on the war thunder forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adB6e5yV7fE&feature=youtu.be

That raw firepower is why I've been trying to git-gud with the 30mm mk108. It's just a hit and miss weapon between the low ammo count, low RoF, and low muzzle velocity that makes it tricky to get shots on target and makes it susceptible to netcode sparking.

But when it hits? Kerblammo.

the video was made as a reference to a classic test of a captured mk108 vs a spitfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoLLDi-M3fk

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    h6qfv8byyar5.jpg

I did a thing.

It took some trickery and 2000m of altitude advantage, and he probably could have still just zoom-climbed away.
    Instead he tried to out-dive me and I was - barely - able to pull more negative Gs than he could, just for a moment.

Edit: Wow. That came out really blurry. Hmm.
    Well, it's a Me-163B and it has absolutely no business being in my crosshairs.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular

Anyway, I have a deep hunger for more planes. Post your highlight reels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLBM4SUm38

Pictured in this video is what is IMO the best custom skin for the BF109 G2's and F4's. It's based off of Yellow 13's SU-37 from Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies.

http://live.warthunder.com/post/365856/en/

uvai2ca3dpj5.jpg

8nx3f43hdm9f.jpg

I haven't played in a long time, but I do have some old videos I've made.

Fun with rockets.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx3XkWuyyk0

Fun 1v1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJXAglaTGlQ

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Over the next few years we plan to meet four major goals with our engine, technology and products.

3. Move to the Pacific Theater and build a first-class simulation of Carrier Warfare which dominated that theater.

Our long-term vision includes the following battles, but not necessarily in this order and final selection is not concrete.

Battle of Kuban (confirmed)
    Battle of Midway
    Battle of Okinawa

I want these so badly.

I want these so so badly.

And Kuban is listed because it's their next definite expansion

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    So, this is coming up:

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4245-development-bv-238-the-largest-aircraft-en/

I'm kinda torn on these things (which Gaijin seems to be doing more and more of).

On the one hand, from a sim perspective, the chance to try out flying one of these "limited-edition" aircraft is pretty neat.

From a game perspective, however, "Only one ever existed, and it never flew in combat, and they never actually settled on its armament" translating into "You can run into 6 of them in a match, blowing the hell out of your base" is bullshit of the highest order.

• Options
    So, this is coming up:

http://warthunder.com/en/news/4245-development-bv-238-the-largest-aircraft-en/

I'm kinda torn on these things (which Gaijin seems to be doing more and more of).

On the one hand, from a sim perspective, the chance to try out flying one of these "limited-edition" aircraft is pretty neat.

From a game perspective, however, "Only one ever existed, and it never flew in combat, and they never actually settled on its armament" translating into "You can run into 6 of them in a match, blowing the hell out of your base" is bullshit of the highest order.

Spruce Goose pls

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I don't know. I have a hard time seeing that even approaching the level of bullshit that is the TU-4. It looks like a flying target to me more than anything else.

It's a lot of MG's, but german .50's are quite as good as 'murrican .50's and the turret configuration doesn't seem to have quite all-encompassing sphere of death aspect shared by the B-29 and Tu-4 (edit: although anyone in the rear arc is in for bad times.)

If it's slow and can't climb well, then it won't hold a candle to the B-29 and Tu-4's oppressive ability to bomb bases and airfields dead before all but the most determined and fastest climbing interceptors can climb to meet them.

edit2:
    It looks like it's vulnerable to attacks from below, which I guess is just inherent to it being a flying boat and them being unable to put guns down there.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    It's a flying boat with quad-quad-laser turrets.
    I don't fly bombers as a matter of principle, but that's fucking cool.

Historical accuracy is not really a concern I have ever had. The relevant matchmaking bracket already contains a surfeit of Ho-229s.

As far as balance goes, Germany doesn't have a bomber in the Tu-4 bracket.
    I am not sure if adding one makes that bracket better or entirely unplayable. But either way, the game as a whole benefits.

• Options
    Ehh, I guess we'll have to see it in practice. I just have a hard time imagining this thing performing well enough to have a battle rating comparable to the B-29, much less the Tu-4. I still think that this plane looks dramatically safer to approach than-the B-29/Tu-4.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Apologies for the double post. Reading on gaijin's forums, apparently this behemoth has a battle rating of 3.0, which is decidedly lower than I expected (I don't know if that's arcade or realistic br).

There is also praise being sung for its defensive armament, with a few people praising it as best defended bomber...which doesn't compute for me.

What are your opinions of its defensive gun placement?

My opinion is that approaching from the rear within the arcs of the three quad 13mm MG turrets is the Dark Souls level 0 deprived playthrough approach to attacking the bomber.

But, to me, it still looks like it has a good sized blind spot forward and below the wings but behind the cockpit. Admittedly that's an awkward angle to get into if you're initially to the rear of the plane, but it looks like the Grand Canyon compared to the needle that you need to thread to stay in the Tu-4/B-29 blind spots.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Am I underestimating the bomber's defenses or is the popular opinion a sign of the poor life choices most pilots make that leads to them happily settling in on the six of bombers if given a chance? Many a B-25 pilot has remarked to me how they basically get at least one free kill every match because somebody just has to settle into the kill box of their .50's. I feel the same as those B-25's when people willingly engage my HE-219's quad 30mm and twin 20mm in a head to head. It happens all the time.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    What are your opinions of its defensive gun placement?

My opinion is that it's a very low-tier bomber that has an awful lot of guns, regardless of placement, so the lucky-golden-bullet-effect is increased, and some of those guns (dorsal turret mount, at least; others?) are actually cannons, which are pretty uncommon at that BR.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Just had one of my best RB rounds ever in the Mig-9/L.
    Got downtiered against Americans on Berlin.
    Spotted a formation of B-29s and climbed above them to almost 8km, then killed three of the four in rapid succession, nice and clean.
    Finished the round out by sneaking in behind the sole survivor - a P-80 Shooting Star with two kills to his name. He went evasive with a split-S towards his AAA, which was not very far away. I did a big yoyo into the clouds, then tracked after him with a big energy advantage. Just outside of AAA coverage, I popped off a two round burst of 37mm at 900 meters and he fireballed.

4-0!

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    That bomber looks SUPER vulnerable from below and fairly vulnerable from above (granted it does have a token dorsal turret).

I should play this game again... idk. Love/hate relationship. Playing with PA folks would be nice.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Word from the dev server is that those quad 13mm MG's in the tail and wings of the blohm and voss have full +/- 90 degrees of movement in the vertical (they can shoot straight up and straight down).

Still vulnerable if you can attack from below and forward of the wings, but I'm starting to think that it will be pretty safe from 98% of the playerbase (which are dumb and like to attack bombers from directly behind).

Bomb load is supposed to be twenty 250kg bombs.

I'm hoping that the final placement is within tier 3's BR levels so that I can slide it into my German money-making lineup of my 109 G2, Hitlerbolt, HS129, and HE219

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code: