As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War Thunder: 1.7.5 has arrived and oscillating turrets are the new HOTness!

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    If you want to kill a lot of Tu-4s, I highly recommend the Mig-9/L.
    One of the most dangerous aircraft in it's matchmaking bracket, hefty 37mm cannon, consistently matched with Tu-4s, plus you get to see where they are!

No seriously though. A spaded Attacker FB-1 is probably the best bet.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Playing chicken with a TU-4.

From this angle, I think most cannons would have worked just fine. But 30mm mine shells just guarantee that nobody within the cockpit survives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0sj_5DVJ9g&feature=youtu.be

edit:
    Also, don't forget to play and win one match over the next few days to earn free GE if you've bought some GE during the past year.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    edited December 2016
    After picking up the battle of britain pack some time ago, I finally have leveled enough pilots to level 20 so that I could bring a lineup of the later spitfires into an arcade battle. Most notably Prendergast's Griffon spit.

My assessment of the later spitfires from my perspective fighting against them while piloting german fighters was that they were OP for their BR and that the matchup was not at all fair.

Now that I've been in the pilot seat of the a griffon spit, I am forced to re-assess my evaluation:
    Late game spitfires are WAY better than I thought that they were. I seriously feel like I'm in an X-wing.

Seriously. Why does my 109 K4 have a 6.0 BR when this death machine is only 5.3?

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    I need to share this picture from the April 1 event.

1uqn1hugiq3n.jpg

3DS Friend Code:
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I had really, really awesome run in the modern event.

And when my team lost, I got a big fat 0 for participating.

Like, how do they not just toss you some lions and XP for playing their silly event? The economy in this game - play Arcade to win money, play almost everything else to lose if - remains my absolute least favorite part.

The grind has sort of put me into a hiatus. I burnt myself out a few months ago during the Winter event first earning and then attempting to spade that special edition Me262. I'm still missing the larger bomb and the rocket pod unlocks.

I've enjoyed flying the plane, but boy oh boy is it entertaining to watch the chat when you get downtiered while it's the highest rated plane in your lineup. Guaranteed replies.

3DS Friend Code:
    I have a great replay from last night I need to get posted here tonight. I call it, "Wings are optional." It's story of a plucky young pilot first lawnmowering in his Spad, and then following it up with his Bearcat. Arcade, of course.

Ping me if it's not posted by this evening. :D

Man, I'd forgotten what a pain it can be to get video out of War Thunder.

Here we go!

https://youtu.be/07kGbRzdPNs

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Someone still needs to take his flight lesson and record that! ;)

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    All that's missing was a safe return to the airfield.

3DS Friend Code:
    We need a thread title update, because the British have been here for a long-ass time AND THE ITALIANS JUST SHOWED UP!

Stealing their airplanes back from the German tree, there's a whole new country to work your way through, including aircraft and tanks. The latest update - titled Regia Aeronautica - also includes a few other aircraft and ground vehicles for other nations, as well.

So, right now, there are scores and scores of rank 1 Italian biplanes in the queue, making it a good time to practice your Buffalo flying.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

From this angle, I think most cannons would have worked just fine. But 30mm mine shells just guarantee that nobody within the cockpit survives.

That's me in "God, I hate B-29s so goddamn much," back when I played.

Except, you know, you actually succeeded, as oppose to bursting into flames in my Ki-84 like I would.

Okay - I'm totally playing some WT tonight after the kiddos are in bed and some house stuff taken care of.

Everyone else, feel free to hop on and join me.

Alright, party people. I'm hopping into War Thunder now. I've got a Discord thingy going for some voice chat - here's the link: https://discord.gg/hMMKSv9

@Iolo @Dissociater

edited May 2017
    Synthesis wrote: »

Except, you know, you actually succeeded, as oppose to bursting into flames in my Ki-84 like I would.

The more likely outcome from that attack was ramming into the bomber. I nearly died there. The B-29 and Tu-4 are a huge pain to approach safely, but they do have a few blind spots to exploit. The largest is directly in front of the craft like I used in that video. It's hard to be in position to use that weakspot, but take the shots if you do. Target the cockpit.

There is also a very thin blind spot precisely level with the wings and forward of the tail gun's arc. A god B-29 will roll a bit, but a lot are lazy and will let you slide in. It's kinda like in the old N-64 Rogue Squadron game where the Y-Wing was too thin to be hit by the turbolaser turrets if it was flying on its side.

If you can't get into position for those, the only safe ways to attack are at high speed from either above or below, and focusing your firepower on a wing (and only one wing).

Anyway, I bought into Pasta Planes with the G.55s. I love Bf 109's and the G.55 looks like it's right up my alley. I like that it's packing the extra firepower of two extra MG-151's that are built into the wings instead of dragging in gun pods. The G.55s attracted me because it ditches the extra weight of the Breda SAFAT machineguns (which I don't care for anyway).

I also want to share a great clip from when I was helping a friend of mine level up his American planes. I was playing my american planes too, eventually lost all of my regular planes and fell back to my premium captured Bf 109 F4. That's a plane that I'm MUCH more comfortable in, and it's particularly deadly when I bring it in as one of my last planes after most other opponents have exhausted their best rides.

I dove into the fight from altitude in a boom-and-zoom attack that let me outpace a P-38. I was really hauling and topped out at 807 km/h! By chance, an A-36 was in my sights as I zoomed out of the P-38 kill and I took an opportunistic attack against it. My next plan was to gently pull back on the stick to transition into a zoom climb to try to convert my speed to altitude so that I could reverse my heading and make another pass through the fight.

However, while checking my surroundings, I saw that a hostile Bf 109 with a lower energy state was attempting an intercept against me. It was an excellent opportunity to make use of a climbing spiral/rope a dope to flip the tables on him.

For those unfamiliar with the maneuver, as the name implies the idea is to bait the enemy into chasing you upwards in a spiral. It's very draining on your energy state, but attempts to shoot you with guns will force the pursuer to either turn tighter or pull his nose up more steeply than you, so he's bleeding energy faster than you. Eventually he'll either brake off or stall. That's when you flip the tables on him. You generally only want to attempt this maneuver if your plane has a better power to weight ratio (and is therefore better at replenishing energy without resorting to a dive), and you never want to do it if there are hostiles nearby that have superior energy states than you because you're a sitting duck to everyone that isn't chasing you up.

In the vid, I turn into him and fly above him. This forces him to pull his nose straight up if he wants shots at me. Rather than taking a more sustainable approach at me, he opts to climb straight up at me to get his shots. When he enters gun range, I rolled my plane onto one wingtip to shrink the size of my silhoutte, made a few erratic movements to shake my plane around a bit and inverted the direction of my spiral to throw off his aim. There was a chance that he could have gotten lucky and scored a good hit, but the odds were in my favor and his completely vertical attack stalled him out. I was then able to execute a hammerhead turn and execute him while his control surfaces were still useless.

If you watch the altimeter, in the span of ~20 seconds the situation changed from him closing in to attack me to us being pulled up about a kilometer and me shooting him while he's immobile in the sky. Remember to keep an eye on your airspeed so that you know how close you are to your plane's limits.

It's pretty neat to watch in action.

https://youtu.be/lbn1z_w_gPg

(Silent video again to preserve the privacy of a conversation in the background)

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I regret nothing

How is the bomber spam in this these days? Less infuriating than it used to be with the 30 second matches?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

The more likely outcome from that attack was ramming into the bomber. I nearly died there. The B-29 and Tu-4 are a huge pain to approach safely, but they do have a few blind spots to exploit. The largest is directly in front of the craft like I used in that video. It's hard to be in position to use that weakspot, but take the shots if you do. Target the cockpit.

There is also a very thin blind spot precisely level with the wings and forward of the tail gun's arc. A god B-29 will roll a bit, but a lot are lazy and will let you slide in. It's kinda like in the old N-64 Rogue Squadron game where the Y-Wing was too thin to be hit by the turbolaser turrets if it was flying on its side.

If you can't get into position for those, the only safe ways to attack are at high speed from either above or below, and focusing your firepower on a wing (and only one wing).

Anyway, I bought into Pasta Planes with the G.55s. I love Bf 109's and the G.55 looks like it's right up my alley. I like that it's packing the extra firepower of two extra MG-151's that are built into the wings instead of dragging in gun pods. The G.55s attracted me because it ditches the extra weight of the Breda SAFAT machineguns (which I don't care for anyway).

I also want to share a great clip from when I was helping a friend of mine level up his American planes. I was playing my american planes too, eventually lost all of my regular planes and fell back to my premium captured Bf 109 F4. That's a plane that I'm MUCH more comfortable in, and it's particularly deadly when I bring it in as one of my last planes after most other opponents have exhausted their best rides.

I dove into the fight from altitude in a boom-and-zoom attack that let me outpace a P-38. I was really hauling and topped out at 807 km/h! By chance, an A-36 was in my sights as I zoomed out of the P-38 kill and I took an opportunistic attack against it. My next plan was to gently pull back on the stick to transition into a zoom climb to try to convert my speed to altitude so that I could reverse my heading and make another pass through the fight.

However, while checking my surroundings, I saw that a hostile Bf 109 with a lower energy state was attempting an intercept against me. It was an excellent opportunity to make use of a climbing spiral/rope a dope to flip the tables on him.

For those unfamiliar with the maneuver, as the name implies the idea is to bait the enemy into chasing you upwards in a spiral. It's very draining on your energy state, but attempts to shoot you with guns will force the pursuer to either turn tighter or pull his nose up more steeply than you, so he's bleeding energy faster than you. Eventually he'll either brake off or stall. That's when you flip the tables on him. You generally only want to attempt this maneuver if your plane has a better power to weight ratio (and is therefore better at replenishing energy without resorting to a dive), and you never want to do it if there are hostiles nearby that have superior energy states than you because you're a sitting duck to everyone that isn't chasing you up.

In the vid, I turn into him and fly above him. This forces him to pull his nose straight up if he wants shots at me. Rather than taking a more sustainable approach at me, he opts to climb straight up at me to get his shots. When he enters gun range, I rolled my plane onto one wingtip to shrink the size of my silhoutte, made a few erratic movements to shake my plane around a bit and inverted the direction of my spiral to throw off his aim. There was a chance that he could have gotten lucky and scored a good hit, but the odds were in my favor and his completely vertical attack stalled him out. I was then able to execute a hammerhead turn and execute him while his control surfaces were still useless.

If you watch the altimeter, in the span of ~20 seconds the situation changed from him closing in to attack me to us being pulled up about a kilometer and me shooting him while he's immobile in the sky. Remember to keep an eye on your airspeed so that you know how close you are to your plane's limits.

(Silent video again to preserve the privacy of a conversation in the background)

Oh my stars. That is super cool flying.

Every now and then I pop into this thread to see if you've posted anything like this lately.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited May 2017
    Bombers aren't really a problem below BR 5 or so at least. I haven't ventured far above that in awhile because upgrading jets in tier 5 is expensive and a pain, and tier 4 is an unfriendly place for Germany with all the Griffon Spits everywhere.

Ground strike mission still end pretty fast because there are still way too few mission objective targets on the map. 2-3 players prioritizing knocking them out can end a match pretty fast still.

I burnt myself out for a bit last winter unlocking that winter event Me 262 and then attempting to spade it. It's still not spaded but it's close. I just need to finish unlocking its bombs. It was absolutely worth it unlocking it though. No other plane has prompted so much salt sent my way. It has half the firepower of a normal Me 262, and has an entry level jet battle rating (which is 6.3 in arcade). With the right lineup I can round that down to a BR 6.0 lineup and potentially get downtiered into BR 5.0 matches.

I do have mixed feelings about that tiering. Fortunately the full downtier matches are rare, but even then I never feel particularly influential to the outcome of the match compared to the spitfires topping the scoreboards. The twin 30mm mk108 cannons are slow and spark a lot against any fighter that's taking any evasive action. However she does excel at killing bombers and her raw top speed is usually faster than the opposition, so I can VERY safely pick my fights. This has led to a very stupid high K/D ratio in the thing for me. At present, over the course of 79 sorties, I have 202 kills, most of which are bomber kills, and 35 deaths in the thing, which works out to ~5.7 K/D. In a way I view it as similar to snipers in some FPS games. You can get stupid high K/D ratios, but primarily because your style of fighting is so safe. The people in the thick of it are going to outscore you and be more influential to victory.

Eventually I want to finish spading my Tiger and Panthers and push on to the King Tiger so that I can use my Me 262 as my air support plane.

The last patch buffed 50 cals, particularly the Itallian breda safat MG's. However Americans and their billions of 50's are benefiting the most, and in turn I've heard about higher level American bombers seeing more use. Although since the recent patch, I've been upgrading my new Itallian planes so I'm barely pushing into BR 2 at the moment. From my short period using the new Breda Safats in the itallian tree, I thin that they'd be absolutely monstrous if any plane boated them like P-47's boat 50's....but I haven't seen any fighter carry more than two so bleh. At least soon I'll be unlocking pasta planes with imported German MG-151's.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    edited May 2017
    I'll get WT reinstalled and see what we got these days. After burning out on Overwatch and BF1 I felt the cockpit calling and now my game library is basically Elite, DCS, IL-2, and all four Mechwarrior games. It'd be good to have WT back in the mix for arcadey fun if Bomberpalooza is tolerable now.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Basil wrote: »

Oh my stars. That is super cool flying.

Every now and then I pop into this thread to see if you've posted anything like this lately.

Thank you. I try to snag recordings of cool stuff as they happen. An assessment of fancy flying that I've heard, and agree with, is that it's highly situational and generally rely upon a mix of disparities between plane performance, pilot skill, and energy states. In that example I had the advantage in all three. His plane was a Bf 109 F1 (that was trailing smoke), so he has inferior engine performance and a slower/less accurate cannon. He followed me up rather than disengaging while it was still safe (never chase 109's up unless you're also something with a superb power/weight ratio like a spitfire). I also had the superior overall energy state with my comparable speed combined with my superior altitude.

But even with all the cards stacked against him, it only would have taken one or two hits from his mg/ff cannon to knock me out of the sky and he came within meters of doing that. That hammerhead turn at the end of my climb is really impressive to watch, but I'm at the edge of my own stall limit and for a moment there I was just as much of a sitting duck as my target. The key difference was that nobody was in position to capitalize on my moment of vulnerability.

99% of the time the best course of action for dealing with a plane on your six isn't to try to dogfight him but to instead simply outrun him or just do some juking guns defense and try to drag him out in a straight line past some friendlies or into your airfield's AAA.

Indeed, in that video, I didn't expect that battle to get to that point. It may not have been immediately apparent, but part of the reason that I choose to climb where I climbed was because I was near our airfield's AAA. I didn't expect many enemy planes would want to wander into that airspace for very long.

I do have two more new vids on hand that are already on youtube.

The first is another rope a dope. This time in the Narwhal variant of the Me 262.

It starts with me noticing a PBJ approaching me in a head-to-head. I'm not about to fly into those guns, so I turn to the side a bit and try to climb above and out of range of his weapons. If he were alone, I would have tried to get on his six. However there were three enemy fighters approaching the area and the last thing I wanted to do was be slow when they showed up. So my plan was to climb up to avoid the PBJ's guns and then dive away from all of them towards safety. Much to my surprise, the PBJ attempts to follow me into the zoom climb. Honestly I haven't the slightest idea what he was thinking there. That gave me the opportunity to make a bit of a detour on my way back down and knock him out while he was stalled. The P-63 nearly got a shot on me, but I was able to cut into his turn to mess up his intercept. Then their intercept window closed and I just zoomed away from all three of the fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bU-v1Bna2s

The second video is more indicative of how most flying goes and is just a good match where my guns were cooperative and decided to hit rather than spark. It's quite a bit more mundane. Climb to altitude, strike a vulnerable target, get to safety, climb to altitude again. You might want to skip the first 2:30 unless you want to see me try to assess the battlefield before my first attack. I end up finishing the match with Terror of the Sky and Survivor. The cloud cover helped mask a lot of my attacks until the last few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NWVN2lmckE

3DS Friend Code:
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I'll get WT reinstalled and see what we got these days. After burning out on Overwatch and BF1 I felt the cockpit calling and now my game library is basically Elite, DCS, IL-2, and all four Mechwarrior games. It'd be good to have WT back in the mix for arcadey fun if Bomberpalooza is tolerable now.

If my past couple days of playing are anything to go by, bomber spam isn't a thing anymore at least at tier III

Edit: and I've been having scads of fun outflying people in my American boomers. P-47s and F4Us for days. It's great to actually get kills despite my shit aim with the 50 buffs

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited May 2017
    If bomber spam is anywhere, it'll probably be tier IV or tier V where the B-17, B-29, and Tu-4's live.

Suicidal Do217's might potentially still be a problem, but if memory serves the lowest they live in the upper reaches of Tier III's BR with BR's higher than 5.

Honorable mention to the BV-238 for carrying a heavy bomb load at low battle ratings. It's also defended by a very deadly dorsal twin MG-151 turret and 4 quad MG-131 machinegun turrets. One in the nose, one in the tail, and two in the wings. MG-131's were kinda noisemakers, but now they might be pretty deadly after the machinegun buffs. The thing for dealing with them is that they're both really slow and absolutely HUGE targets (I've seen vids where biplanes have landed on these things in flight). So take your shots at extreme range since you should still be able to hit them but they'll have trouble hitting you. Pick a wing and focus on it. They're huge and full of fuel. Attacking the fuselage is kind of a waste of time unless you have a 30+mm cannon since it's mostly empty space. It's also very vulnerable to attack from below, so you can try to dive below it and climb up to attack its wing. It's also a premium plane, so it's relatively uncommon to encounter. It's huge. I can't say that enough. The first time you fight it, you're going to think that you're closer to it than you actually are. It's seriously big. 197 foot (~60 meter) wingspan big.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    BV-238 is most vulnerable to ground attack aircraft since they can basically act like interceptors against it and even the massively inaccurate auto cannons you get on eg the IL-2 37 will hit it pretty easily

fuck gendered marketing
    edited May 2017
    Yep. Rockets or 30mm+ cannons are game over for the BV-238 if you hit it pretty much anywhere. It's pretty much too big to miss.

20mm cannons should be able to knock it out if you go for its wings or cockpit. Again, pick one wing and focus on it. Leave the other wing intact. It's better to greatly imbalance the lift between the wings than to reduce their ability to lift more or less equally.

50 cals should be able to ignite the massive fuel tanks in its wings.

I'd probably avoid the bomber if your plane is only armed with MG's that are smaller than 50's, which is technically possible if the BV-238 gets fully down-tiered.

I'll be honest, I have gotten Terror of the Sky once or twice with the BV-238 by gun-shipping really low near furballs when I get down-tiered really low.

Respect that dorsal MG-151 turret. It will end you. The plane would be 10x deadlier if that turret were in the tail like the Pe-8's cannon turret.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    edited May 2017
    Wow, they really fleshed out the amount of planes in this game.

Also just had a lovely match in my SBD. Spent most of it diving in on ground targets and right at the end the enemy team got tired of my shit but they couldn't shoot me down in time. The match ended up with my plane shot to shit, my engine gone, and having control issues but I was able to successfully land it in a field just to be an obstinate dick :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2017
    I took my BV-238 for a spin last night. I suppose that the sample size is pretty small, but the MG-131 turrets felt extremely more lethal than before. I took out three planes and two mini bases before I was shot down. I'm moderately sure that it was the MG turrets and not my 20mm cannon turret that knocked them out. One broke apart after a second of fire, and the other two were almost instantly caught on fire. Do not sit on its tail unless you want to eat fire from 12 MG-131s.

https://youtu.be/bnHrEikDp98

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Oh, if anyone is looking for the custom skin that I was using in that Me-262 video. It's this one.

http://live.warthunder.com/post/410719/en/

qewral7lmdu9.png

That author makes a lot of skins based off various planes from the Ace Combat games.

http://live.warthunder.com/user/YanderesFTW/

3DS Friend Code:
    That's pretty neat. Needs more Yuktobanian Air Force skins.

Also, bread factories.

TOGSolid wrote: »
    Wow, they really fleshed out the amount of planes in this game.

Also just had a lovely match in my SBD. Spent most of it diving in on ground targets and right at the end the enemy team got tired of my shit but they couldn't shoot me down in time. The match ended up with my plane shot to shit, my engine gone, and having control issues but I was able to successfully land it in a field just to be an obstinate dick :D

Ah, yes - hate landings, the best kind of landing.

It's even better when you can limp back to an airfield, repair, and fly back up to shoot them down.

3DS Friend Code:
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Just started playing this, got my feet wet in some arcade tank battles. I used to love the armor game in Red Orchestra so this was a fun time. I had a blast flanking in my T-26 and I just unlocked the 75mm variant so I'm looking forward to checking that out.

So any advice on research or where to drop my premium currency?

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    In planes, it can be a good idea to drop some eagles on a very late-tier Talisman, or on getting a crew to Ace. Nothing you spend them on before ~BR 6 will make much difference to your experience.

I think tankers like to purchase certain premium bush cosmetics which can be used to provide visual cover of vulnerable spots? I recall reading that they are not always available, or something.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, but the only acceptable usage of the decal system on tanks is for Russia. Wherein you use Chinese flags to PAINT YOUR TANKS RED FOR MOTHER RUSSIA.

edited May 2017
    MechMantis wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the only acceptable usage of the decal system on tanks is for Russia. Wherein you use Chinese flags to PAINT YOUR TANKS RED FOR MOTHER RUSSIA.

The real travesty is that barely anyone does this, because this is the one game where sighting math doesn't magically make your tank invisible.

EDIT: Also, they finally added the Ki-100. Almost a year ago. Welp, time to reinstall.

Synthesis on
    edited May 2017
    I only spend golden eagles on the following

1: good premium vehicles, where good is defined as vehicles that are competitive at a battle ratings that you enjoy playing at, provide access to a playstyle not common for that faction, or are good at farming lions/rp. For example premium bombers are very good at farming lions and experience points (both rp and crew experience). The American captured bf 109 F4 gives Americans access to a lightweight high thrust to weight plane, and the captured Churchill / KV2 give Germans access to a heavy tank at tiers where they don't have any. Premium P-47s are great for farming lions because they're criminally under tiered if you understand boom and zooming. Seriously, p-47s can hold their own at the very least at br 4+, but in arcade their br is a meager 3.0 because people turnfight in them (2.7 for the German one because it lacks ordinance)

2: talismans on competitive vehicles. Ideally tier IV vehicles to mitigate the diminishing returns as you research late tier vehicles, but competitive vehicles at any tier can help for upgrading crews.

3: unlocking some modifications on jets /top tier vehicles. Usually ammo belts. Because the grind is real and the prospect of dealing with stock belts for that long has made me cry uncle.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    edited May 2017
    The manual calls it anti-aircraft gun...

https://youtu.be/0XKK4Xb4J9g

https://youtu.be/MRGzhfLagQo

For what it's worth, those are my only two air kills with the flak bus. Which, for the record, is two more air kills than I've ever gotten with the Wirbelwind. I hate the Wirbelwind.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    I always prioritized GE spending on speed leveling my crews up. I feel like you get far more mileage out of being able to reload in seconds and not having your pilot die due to a random Cheeto popping out of the seat cushion and hitting them in the head than buying one premium vehicle.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2017
    Well crews level up pretty fast when their vehicle has a talisman. Bombers especially. I've been moving my BV-238 and some talismaned Do-217's around to different crews to power level my tank crews, and they earn hundreds of XP in short order. The main crew slot for the BV-238 has nearly earned enough crew XP for a free upgrade to ace crew.

To quote myself from a few pages back, a round where I was able to drop off two dozen tons of TNT netted me 463 crew XP from a single match. Tons of TNT dropped and base/airfield kills are just really efficient for earning RP and crew XP, but any competitive premium or talismaned plane will rack up tons of RP/crew XP pretty rapidly.

Unfortunately the same is not really true for tanks due to the very low payouts from ground battles.
    2 air kills (one gunner, one bombed)
    24 tons of explosives dropped.
    130k silver lions
    13k modifications research (mostly useless on a premium plane. Mark of distinction soon though.)
    3.9k vehicle research (researching the tier 5 he-162, so big diminishing returns)
    130k silver lions
    463 crew XP.
    vww5pn9z13rt.jpg

The BV-238 has some mixed results because it is an absolute sitting duck and extremely vulnerable to anyone with cannons with enough of a brain to approach from your blind spots instead of loitering within the arcs of 16 guns.

For germany, the very first Do-217 bomber, when talismaned, is probably the better crew XP farmer. After dropping your bombs and waiting for them to reload, it climbs MUCH faster than the BV-238, so you're more likely to reach the altitudes where the average arcade battle player isn't going to bother climbing up to you and you can hover bomb the airfield with impunity. It has a dive bomber sight, so it's easier to hover bomb. It's capable of high speed dives on minibases, so you're pretty much guranteed to get SOME points rather than getting intercepted with nothing to show for your time. Finally it has a single forward facing MG-151 that's under your control that nobody seems to remember that it has. Load it up with stealth rounds and explode people that think they're safely approaching you from the front. The main downside is that it's a pain to spade because the bomb loads are one of the last upgrades available. Strafing artillery/MG nests in frontline missions with the MG-151 is recommended.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    I'm wondering what would be a useful XP bomber for Japan

fuck gendered marketing
  • OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    I used to play the G8N1 a ton and made tons of xp/credits just lazily bombing bases while listening to podcasts, but that was over 2 years ago and I'm confident its been eclipsed by the since introduced TU-4 and B-29; I think they also buffed ground base HP at some point, it used to kill a base in one bomb load and now its not even close anymore. At the time its 20mm cannon turret outclassed anything on other bombers but, again, eclipsed by more recent additions.

I'm not sure at this point there is a strong Japanese bomber in the game...I have no experience w/ the premium captured B-17 so maybe that one? Its very expensive though.