The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

War Thunder: 1.7.1 launched! BF-109s are apparently no longer terrible!

1313233343537»

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I've grown tired of the ground grind for the event, and I'm just grinding some of my golden eagle wagers to pay to unlock that pakwagen. I'm literally short by 1 golden eagle right now.

I did manage to snag this nice reversal here. Anyone else have any cool highlights to share from this event?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Basil
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I didn't choose the tiki life, the tiki life chose me Inside a bottle of rumRegistered User regular

This may be my favorite War Thunder YouTube channel. War Thunder videos done in the vein of a 1940s Black Adderish British officer.

General_ArmchairBasilElvenshae
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Matches where the teams are actually coordinating remain cool. I got to see a couple of actual Thatch Weaves performed in an RB just now by US pilots taking on Japanese ones. It's really neat seeing things like that in practice.

StrikorSokpuppet
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I didn't choose the tiki life, the tiki life chose me Inside a bottle of rumRegistered User regular
    edited August 22
    I've been working on fully spading each nation up to tier 3 and yeesh has Germany been rough, but each time you creep up a BR level it's like the planes are forcing you through a variety of elite training programs to make you git gud before you're finally allowed to enter the glorious realm of 3.7 when you get your first FW-190 and the 109-F4s. That said, their night fighter line is just absolutely hilarious and surprisingly maneuverable. You just point your nose "over thattaway," vomit cannon rounds everywhere, and collect your kills. Also, the BF-109 F2 ended up being a really fun plane once I started running it's armor piercing belts with the cermet cores. Those things wreck engines and snipe pilots with hilarious ease and baiting people into head-ons results in numerous engine kills. :D

EDIT: Holy shit I really need to rewrite the OP to this thread O_o

EDIT EDIT: I've been watching way too damn many Squire Flyer videos which resulted in me getting inspired to put together a War Thunder playlist on Youtube.

Also, I found this on the interwebs and it speaks to me on a spiritual level.
    lomb-poster.jpg

TOGSolid on
    BasilZibblsnrt
    edited August 22
    https://warthunder.com/en/news/4919-gamescom-new-e-r-a-in-war-thunder-1-71-major-update-announcement-en
    At Gamescom 2017 we will introduce the new major update 1.71 “New E.R.A”. The name was coined for several reasons - first, we are adding a 6th rank for tanks and invite you to test the vehicles of the Cold War and Vietnam war period. Ground vehicles in War Thunder will receive new armour types - composite and Explosive Reactive Armour. This new era in tank construction marked the switch to brand new technologies in protection against powerful HEAT rounds and missiles that could easily destroy any WW2 armour. New infantry support machines will join combat - we are ready to tell you about some of them in the next few days. Stay tuned!

And don’t forget about prizes! Do you know much about your favourite game? Give at least 7 correct answers for 10 questions in our War Thunder Mastermind Quiz dedicated to update 1.71 “New E.R.A.” and receive a unique title “War Thunder Mastermind” and a RP booster! The link to the quiz will be published at 14:00 GMT!

A New Era is coming - welcome to War Thunder update 1.71!

And regarding any worries about the grind getting even worse:
    The progress for rank 6 will be similar to that of rank 5, not harder. Later when we have enough vehicles on rank 6 we plan to reduce RP and SL requirements for rank 5 or even earlier vehicles

PhlyDaily interviewing Gaijin's CEO about upcoming features and showing off some of the upcoming new toys:

TOGSolid on
    Elvenshae
    edited September 18
    https://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/744/direct

Patch notes are so long they don't fit in a single post o_o

TOGSolid on
    edited September 18
    I'll need to get caught up. The summer event burnt me out for awhile.

Edit:
    Looks like they added an extra crew to the pakwagen. Hopefully that's its missing second driver. I also hope that they get around to fixing its poor hill climbing ability.

From those notes, it sounds like the "bad steel" modifier is finally gone from the tiger II's. That will help Germany a bit at that point tier, but it does not address the core CAS problem.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    edited September 18
    (Dev Server)
    (Actual Play)

109 F/G/K models all got a fix to something involving their fuel loadout and apparently they're not awful anymore!

TOGSolid on
    General_Armchair
    The 109's are a favorite of mine. I mostly fly in arcade, but I know that there was a thing in realistic where the instructor would litterally fight against you attempting to roll the plane.

3DS Friend Code: