As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War Thunder: 1.7.5 has arrived and oscillating turrets are the new HOTness!

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @weaver @‌nuka

You guys doing tanks mainly, or aircraft, or a little of each?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I fly every now & then but I'm mainly into tanks.

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I have shit luck with tank when I play, but I kick butt while flying. A childhood spent playing Red Baron has served me well.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    I attribute my success to a childhood of eating Red Baron

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    "War Thunder: The BATTLE is ON!" Trailer: http://youtu.be/pzgPXOw2plI

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited October 2014
    I hope people are getting back into this, because as a new player currently on the cusp on t3 tanks, I'd like to have some people to play with instead of trying to give pubs tactical hints.

Weaver on
    Seriously, does anyone else on PA play this or I may just find a pub clan to join with.

I still play, but on AU timezone.

It's a shame the Rift isn't coming out this year, as I reckon it'd have been a huge popularity boost - simulators are what the Rift is best at, and this is the only game in town as far as Rift-capable WW2 flight sims are concerned. IL-2 1946 is, regrettably, only doable with very imperfect mods.

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I play it quite regularly actually, but never tanks. AB and RB tanks is comparable to torture. trollo nametags everywhere.

I do but usually mid afternoon eastern time

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Ahh,

well, What if you guys just sent me friend invites and if we're on at the same time, I'll fly or tank with you? I'm on the west coast and job searching so I can pretty much play whenever.

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I play in the evenings pacific time. Callsign in game is Velmeran if you want to add me.

Vechloran.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I've been playing relatively frequently as of late. Almost to my Komet.

Also the cusp of tier 3 in both sets of tanks.

I've been playing relatively frequently as of late. Almost to my Komet.

Also the cusp of tier 3 in both sets of tanks.

Can you test fly the Komet? I would recommend it to get used to the fragile wings

3basnids3lf9.jpg

You can test fly anything that you can research. The Komet has now become my first rocket/jet-powered aircraft. I will probably want to do some test flights to figure out how nimble and fragile it is. And to see if I can belly slide to a stop after running out of fuel. I've heard it can get expensive - especially in Realistic.

Grinding out the Komet leads me to believe they really should have higher research point values. I'd say the amount you get with premium now would be a good baseline, then throw in a 1.5 or 2x if you win. And then the 2x/3x/4x first win multiplier. It shouldn't take the equivalent of 100 decent games to unlock a plane through arcade (...and technically it doesn't, because occasional 2x games help).

Their claim that switching from 5 tiers to 20 tiers was to help speed up research to planes you want is complete BS. Doubly so after the introduced that "Now you need 6 units from the preceding tier to unlock the next tier!" malarkey. Luckily the planes I want/like are mostly tier 2 and tier 1, so I haven't cared much (other than wanting a Komet and 262), but I'd be peeved if my favorite plane was the P51 or the Lancaster or other fancy higher tier planes.

@President Rex‌ with the 163 and ki200 they have a landing ski you deploy as your gear. As you slow down you have to maintain your balance because if you drop one wing too fast you'll seesaw and break both your wings and your plane will be considered too damaged to repair

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Also worth noting is that neither have flaps. To slow down for landing, you need to essentially spiral down.

The sheer time it takes to land, plus the fragility of them in general, makes them largely one-shot wonders. Very fun to fly, but kind of useless without Arcade's respawns, ammo restocks, and increased target density.

I really like the Ki200, personally, but you kinda have to start the round on the assumption that you won't be refueling and rearming

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Suriko wrote: »
    Also worth noting is that neither have flaps. To slow down for landing, you need to essentially spiral down.

The sheer time it takes to land, plus the fragility of them in general, makes them largely one-shot wonders. Very fun to fly, but kind of useless without Arcade's respawns, ammo restocks, and increased target density.

The Komet has flaps, the Ki 200 doesn't (as far as I know). You basically have "flight" (Raised) and "giant airbrake" (Landing) modes. After numerous test flights, I have learned:

* You have to use mouse control (or a joystick), because the full elevator via keyboard will lead to too many gees. Especially at speeds above 500 km/h. I think (when using mouse control) the instructor basically prevents you from pitching too hard. At least at low-ish altitudes.
    * The plane really does not like negative gees. Basically don't pitch hard in the direction opposite your travel.
    * You can roll for days.
    * The landing flaps take forever to deploy, but kill your speed substantially faster than gliding.
    * You need to land hopefully going 200 km/h or less. And you'll still probably run out of runway (...especially in Realistic, where even a loaded B-17 or He 111 has trouble getting off the ground in time).
    * It's pretty stable if you just need to make small corrections (such as for aiming).
    * It does not appear to suffer from the throttle-related problems of its real-life counterpart. So you can just sit at 0 throttle at altitude and conserve some fuel.

Also, unrelated to the Komet, I think they broke the later Bf 109s. I'm loaded up with stealth rounds but they're shooting flashy tracers everywhere. Plus, my F4s apparently got switched to 15 mm cannons. Which could be a balance tweak, maybe, but now I can't change the ammo belts (I think it's using default 15 mm).

This would be fine in realistic, but since it takes about fifty 20 mm shells to bring down things in Arcade, I need the element of surprise and they are just not providing it with their brokenness.

• TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Had some time to burn yesterday morning, so I booted WT up for a few quick games. Either my fire control is rusty, or planes in arcade seem way more durable than I remember. I remember melting planes in my Spitfire II with stealth ammo in a 1 second burst, now it seems to take 2-3 seconds. I mean, P-38s weren't bursting into flames when I sneezed at them! Something is terribly wrong!

I'm gonna go with my fire control being off.

@weaver @nuka I'll be playing around 2pm eastern today. We have a channel in the vent server and even just sitting in the channel can draw others

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I'll probably be at the gym but I can hang out in the channel when I get back and start playing.

Also I'm at this annoying point where I have all of my T2 tanks fully upgraded but I keep getting stuck in T3 matches where my guns do nothing and all of my tanks get one hit killed.

• nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    I work today from 2pm to 11pm pacific time.

No planes for me today.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    Ok, I'm on and in the vent server.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    So I'm done with tiers I for all nations aircraft at this point, with t2 Japanese, t1 Brits and Germans and t3 Americans and Russians.

Arcade only, but what I've learned:

Russians are stupid OP straight through, beginning with the bugged (or so someone here told me) ROF on their reserve 7.7mm guns and straight through the nose mounted cannons of t2 to the troll 37nm and 45mm Yak t3s.

Americans are good - great and not as bad in dogfighting or turn fighting as I've heard them described.

Brits are good - great, 7.7mm spam is not as ineffective as I thought. Don't have the Beaufighter yet.

The Japanese planes are HORRIBLE. Absolutely shit guns. Then you get a plane with cannons - too bad it's a seaplane with a boat hanging off the ass, and the flying reflects this. Then you get the non seaplane version and you realize the cannon are wing mounted and not nose or body mounted.

The first german fighter is horrible, with 7.7mms and no speed and horrible turning. The single 20mm the B variant gets is slightly better. The C variation with dual 20mm and dual 7.7mm is better still but is far too unmanauverable and underpowered for a fighter. Alternatively, the BF 110 attacker - heavy fighter rocks.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    The problem is you're in arcade only. The a6 is maneuverable in arcade, but not enough to distinguish itself

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    The problem is you're in arcade only. The a6 is maneuverable in arcade, but not enough to distinguish itself

Yeah. I like the flight models in Realistic, but queue times and climbing times and dumb teammates..

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    So hey, this is a strange question but

Is there any way to pre-set or convienently set graphics settings differently for air vs ground games?

The auto detect gives me max settings for air at 100+ FPS always, but the same settings give me 50ish FPS in ground forces with dips into the 30s.

So I'm done with tiers I for all nations aircraft at this point, with t2 Japanese, t1 Brits and Germans and t3 Americans and Russians.

Russians are stupid OP straight through, beginning with the bugged (or so someone here told me) ROF on their reserve 7.7mm guns and straight through the nose mounted cannons of t2 to the troll 37nm and 45mm Yak t3s.

Americans are good - great and not as bad in dogfighting or turn fighting as I've heard them described.

Brits are good - great, 7.7mm spam is not as ineffective as I thought. Don't have the Beaufighter yet.

The Japanese planes are HORRIBLE. Absolutely shit guns. Then you get a plane with cannons - too bad it's a seaplane with a boat hanging off the ass, and the flying reflects this. Then you get the non seaplane version and you realize the cannon are wing mounted and not nose or body mounted.

The first german fighter is horrible, with 7.7mms and no speed and horrible turning. The single 20mm the B variant gets is slightly better. The C variation with dual 20mm and dual 7.7mm is better still but is far too unmanauverable and underpowered for a fighter. Alternatively, the BF 110 attacker - heavy fighter rocks.

The Yak 9s are just ridiculously OP. The power of a heavy fighter, the speed and maneuverability of a light fighter, and utterly better guns than everything at its tier, since it's rapid fire 37 mm and 45 mm.

The Japanese zeroes are great in realistic, but otherwise all of their planes are pretty terrible for arcade. The H6K4 is alright due to the bomb load for its low tiering...but the Germans get the He 111 (...which is kind of weird that basically their best bomb load is their first).

The Germans are hard to work with fighter-wise until tier 3, but they've been helped substantially by the low tier two 109s and 190s. Plus: Stukas!

The British are pretty much great all the time. There are basically no garbage units except the biplanes and sort of the Beaufort (because of the limited bomb load).

I think they improved the .50s in arcade, so the Americans can actually damage stuff now. And if bursting into flame and spiraling into the ground were equivalent to surrendering, the P38 would be France. Lots of people like the P40 now as well.

I like my tier 3 and 4 Germans, but the most consistent death-dealing comes from the Spitfires, the Hurricanes and the Typhoons. Beautfighters are also good if you're sick of being pilot-killed or having people crash into you. Beaufighter laughs at your puny attempts to ram him.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fuck the P-38.

What a shitty, shitty airplane.
    I may have just had 3 Realistic missions that took forever both to start and to climb up to altitude only for literally the first burst fired by an enemy to light me on fire.

• SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular

The biggest problem with the Japanese planes(in Arcade) is that their BR is through the roof. The A6M2, the first non-float plane version of the Zero you get, has a BR of 3.7. The Spitfire Mark IIb is also a 3.7 BR, is about as agile(in Arcade) as the Zero, and has a little extra firepower and better cannons, which means a whole lot in Arcade.

The Zero is probably the easiest comparison, since it's basically got a direct competitor in the British tree, but as someone who used to fly a lot of Japanese planes in Arcade, the biggest problem with Japanese planes is their historical advantage(excellent maneuverability), doesn't really get reflected in Arcade, and their weak guns hurt them. This would be okay if their Arcade BRs reflected this, but they don't. As such, the Japanese line gets over-valued and put into fights that just don't feel fair. If their BRs were just a .3-.7 lower, depending on the plane, they would be good place. But they're not.

I really really used to like them about a dozen patches ago, but since then they've been up-BR'd a few times and just don't feel really competitive anymore when running Arcade. These days I just fly British, all the wonderful turn fighting goodness, but with better guns for the BR.

In case anyone playing is colorblind, you can go to options and interface to change allies and enemies text color

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• NijaNija Registered User regular
    I received the 1m silver lions battle trophy last night. So random.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So, speaking of the P-38 (may a camel's worth of lice nest in its beard) ...

What do y'alls climb profiles look like in it? I finally unlocked all the engine parts (still missing the ... airframe? ... anyway, something Tier 3ish in the performance column), and I still can't really outclimb BF-109s.

My normal approach is to do the take-off roll at WEP, accelerate at a slight incline up to about 180-200 mph (to clear the runway), and then climb at 120-130 mph until I hit the engagement zone, at which point I nose down to more-or-less level to pick up some speed. I usually need to back off the WEP to 100% throttle somewhere around 10k feet due to water heating issues.

I suspect that there's a more efficient / effective way to climb in this thing. Thoughts?

I mean, it seems like the P-38s role is to go after high-altitude bombers, but that doesn't work out so well when enemy regular fighters climb just as well as you and are far more maneuverable (and resilient) besides.

Also, also, cannon ammo. Is there any reason not to use the default ammo on the nose cannon? Default is a high-explosive frag / high-explosive frag / armor-piercing tracer combo. Universal is ... high-explosive frag / armor-piercing tracer / high-explosive frag / armor-piercing tracer, IIRC, which seems like it would do less damage on average? Ground targets includes a practice shell in it, which is ... useless? Why would you waste 1/4 of your ammo loadout on useless shells?

Elvenshae on
    http://warthunder.com/en/news/883/current/
    For the last three months anyone who wished to, could participate in the creation of “their gameplay scenario”, these were rich with events and non standard tasks. Thanks to a series of tutorial videos, participants of the contest created their visions of War Thunder missions, created with the CDK package, they presented them for you to judge. And now we are recommending that you play the best of them!

3basnids3lf9.jpg