As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

War Thunder: 1.7.5 has arrived and oscillating turrets are the new HOTness!

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    It is surprisingly profitable to just spawn in a YER and lazily cruise around waiting for german planes to just kinda line up behind you for you to shoot.

80WheLF.jpg?1

That said I've decided to try out some lower tier RB tanks and after trying 3.7 germans I suddenly feel a lot better about 6.7 germans.

Because holy crap is your lineup painful at that point. The TDs are okay, but all of your tanks are thin-skinned and your most effective units are the IV F2, and the Wirbelwind of all things.

Meanwhile russia has at least three T-34s and a KV-1 at that point, and the USA has the early Shermans.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So I've started playing some sim matches.

I kinda feel like I'm at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to target acquisition without a head-tracking solution - especially when it comes to looking behind me.

On the other hand, I've gotten 3 A2A kills and 4 ground kills in 5 sorties, and only been shot down twice, so that's pretty cool.

Best one was last night, in my Cannon Corsair against Germans. A BF-109 was harassing our b-17 who was trying to limp back to base. I came in from ~5 miles away and caught him right at the top of his climb out as he was looping over. One burst and parts went EVERYWHERE.

Then I had to land because I didn't take off with a full fuel tank, and I, as the last plane on my team, got caught during my attempt to get to altitude after take-off.

Fun match, though!

• Options
    So, going back to Sim matches, one of my favorite / least favorite things is joining matches in progress.

See, I like the fact that it gets you into games much, much faster.

The part that's off to me is that it's very confusing when you start out in a match, and you're all alone, and people are fighting ... somewhere? At some altitude? And it takes you 5-10 minutes to climb to altitude, at which point the battle is ... somewhere else?

Basically, unless you've got a team that is constantly chatting (and most people, so far, don't), then dropping into an in-progress sim match is basically a guarantee that you'll be lone-wolfing it at a huge altitude disadvantage, which is a challenging position to be in.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Did you try the ongoing battles in sim? Also, when do you play, @Elvenshae , I'll be your wingman.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Did you try the ongoing battles in sim? Also, when do you play, @Elvenshae , I'll be your wingman.

No. They ran it for, like, an hour? or something on Friday, and I never saw it again for the whole weekend. I kept looking for it! (East coast evening time.)

• Options
    Dear People in Simulator Battles Calling for Help,

You do not show up on our minimaps, and you're hard to see from more than a mile away or so, especially when we're at 10k feet and you're at 3k feet, lost in the ground clutter. Therefore, do not just call for help once, move 3 miles NE or whatever, and wonder why no one is there to help you.

Instead, call for help, and then continue to do so in 15-30s increments or so, so that the rest of us know where you are and where you're going.

Thank you,
    The People Trying to Save Your Ass

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Apparently the Enduring Conflict mode's available in RB and SB right now.

• Options
    Annnnd that was totally a 280,000-SL match. I'm cool with that outcome.

• Options
    Saturday night let's get a squad going in Endless conflict. I'm down for SB or RB

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Alas I am not available or I'd be all over that

• Options
    @Campy when would work for ye?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    So uh

I managed a 40 kill match in Enduring Battles, only getting shot down four times. As it turns out, Ishaks are bullshit.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »
    So uh

I managed a 40 kill match in Enduring Battles, only getting shot down four times. As it turns out, Ishaks are bullshit.

The I-16?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Yeah. Specifically the type 18.

Must be a bunch of novices playing because I had so many MC 202s and Bf 109s try to turnfight me.

• Options

Must be a bunch of novices playing because I had so many MC 202s and Bf 109s try to turnfight me.

I was about to ask you if they were trying to turn fight you.

I almost feel guilty when US planes try to turn fight when I'm in a Zero.

Almost.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I feel roughly the same way when anyone tries to do anything to me in a Spitfire.

If I don't out-turn you, I out-climb you.

If I don't out-climb you, I out-turn you.

If for some reason I can't do either, I out-run you.

• Options
    @Campy when would work for ye?

Due to our current new flat setup my PC gaming time is pretty sporadic. So I definitely wouldn't base any squadron forming around myself. Not to mention I'm on the wrong side of the world from most of our War Thunderers.

• Options
    @Campy how about Monday? I have the day off, if you want to play after work, and jiu jitsu practice, and gourmet meal cooking.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Well I wouldn't want to set a definite yes due to aforementioned scant playing time. But if I'm on Steam drop me a message!

• Options
    edited July 2015

I saw a lot of brief, entertaining attempts at turnfighting my Chaika in slow, low 109s last night.

The alt spread is interesting in that mode - most of the match I was in was right on the deck with a small handful around 2km or so.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    I did a little Enduring Conflict last night (2.3 - 4.3 range?) Germany v Russia. The Russians were kicking our butts, but I did manage to take off (and land) my FW-200 and destroy a bunch of bases before being shot down. The map was large enough that I was able to avoid their fighters while gaining decent altitude. It was pretty interesting.

I might try some more later tonight, depending on how I feel.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    I did discover one 'fun' thing about EC - if you leave before the end of the match you don't get RP, even after the battle. Just the less-than-useless convertible stuff.

(Which was rather annoying, since that I learned this in the aforementioned 280K lion match that I entered with a 500% RP booster..)

• Options
    I've got a new wingman!
    Baby_Gregory_Day01_zps8eprv4ox.jpg

I look forward to not being able to fly much in the next couple weeks. :D

Also, tried the EC event last night - I have exactly 3 total planes unlocked between Russia and Germany, so it was ... not great? But not bad, either.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Enduring Confrontation is back!

I did some bombing in my FW-200 last night. I destroyed 2 bases and got shot down once (respawned once). I think I received 6k lions, which seemed pretty weak for the time investment.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Yeah, the payout in Enduring Battles sucks balls.

I got a couple sorties in last night - American 4-6? Tier - and scored a base destruction and a couple ground kills in a Thunderbolt and a couple a2a kills in a Corsair. Had two respawns (start Corsair, respawns P47, respawn Corsair) for net winnings of, like 1k lions after an hour or so?

• Options
    What's the RP like, though?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    What's the RP like, though?

I did two matches last time around. One paid out quite well RP-wise (five digits), but the other match -where I did far better - gave me nothing but convertible points.

• Options
    Anyone feel like doing some Enduring Conflict tomorrow?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Anyone feel like doing some Enduring Conflict tomorrow?

Sure! Tomorrow evening, east coast time? What with the little one, my available time is uncertain.

Also, not sure what planes I'll be able to bring, since the only trees I've got anything really unlocked in are the US and the Brits, and who knows what nations they'll have queued up.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Oogh, think they reduced EC rewards this time around.

6 kills, 2 assists, 8 ground kills, and three bases destroyed - 28K lions and 1965 RP. My match in the last EC test came to 280,000 lions at about the same BR...
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Also, not sure what planes I'll be able to bring, since the only trees I've got anything really unlocked in are the US and the Brits, and who knows what nations they'll have queued up.

US/Britain versus Germany this time around, looks like, so you'd be fine.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    @DaMoonRulz

Baby just woke up from a nap on my chest, so while Mommy and he sort out his late night snack, I'm available to shoot down some Nazis. You still up?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've been playing this a whole bunch again so I sent a squadron request.

• Options
    Just got a 27" monitor. It's gonna be doooope.

Tried doing a sim landing in a zero during stormy weather. The ceiling was like 100ft so I set it down kinda hard, but in one piece.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I bought a KV-1B and it kinda alternates between wrecking the enemy team, just being a good heavy support, and getting one-shotted right off by a tiny gun from across the map.

Also I just had a really great air match where my 217-J2 was able to repeatedly fly in to pitched dogfight clusters and get kills with my gunners. Good times.

• Options
    Is anyone getting on tonight that can add me to the squadron?

• Options
    @Weaver I'm driving back from Indianapolis tonight so I will be able to in a few hours

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I hope your drive is safe and comfortable.

Always hated long distance drives.

• Options
    @Weaver all set

3basnids3lf9.jpg