As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited January 2017 in Games and Technology
VRUDnlt.jpg

The who of what where?
A few years ago, Edmund McMillan of Super Meat Boy(and other great games) made a little flash game called The Binding of Isaac. Think of it as a roguelike mashup of the dungeons from the original Zelda and SmashTV.

In Isaac, you play as a little boy named Isaac(big surprise). Your crazy religious mother is trying to kill you because god told her too. Yeah, that's basically the story.

So you spawn in a Zelda like dungeon, clearimg out rooms. You get various powerups, which have various synergies. You keep descending floors, fight bosses, and eventually die or get to the end.

Yeah, ok, so what's all this rebirth nonsense?

Well, Isaac had an expansion, where they added as much as they could to the game... Literally. Using flash and actionscript 2, the game bloated to the point where they couldn't add more to it.

So, for the past year or two, Nicalis(1001 spikes, etc) teamed up with Edmund to make a new version. Here's some of the changes/additions:

*The graphics are now in a Snes style pixel art. There is a faux flash option, however.
*60 fps, the original was stuck at 30.
*450+ items, up from the ~150 from the base game and expansion combined
*New synergies, one item overriding another should be much rarer.
*New rooms, types of rooms, bosses, enemies, champions, etc
*Local co-op!
*Currently built up as 500 hours to unlock/experience everything. Neither of the two main devs have actually 100% the game on their own.
*Lots more, feel free to tell me if I missed anything big.

I can play this on my Sony video gaming devices?

Rebirth is coming to Vita and PS4, in addition to the PC. PS+ members will get the game for free, with the regular stipulations. The PS4 edition should be functionally identical to the PC. The Vita is nearly the same, but it has no co-op and a few effects are lowered in quality.

What about the 3ds/iPad/ngage?

The team really wanted to get the game on the 3ds, but Nintendo isn't really ok with the religious theme's present. A port isn't out of the question, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

The team wants to make a mobile version for ios/android, but will only do it "if it doesn't suck". There's been no word on other platforms.

Blah blah words are boring, give me the youtubes

Well, the release trailer dropped today... NSFW warning, it's... Intentionally odd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBb0M8HRCQ

Here's the most recent gameplay video, from PAX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f8LfG6W71I

And a pretty recent gameplay teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A10s9RhVj8

The game is out on November 4th, up on steam for pre-order for $15, or $10.04 if you own the original. Two months will go by quickly... Right?

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Sterica on

• Options
    Saved for future use

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    Binding Of Isaac League Racing (BoILR) is worth noting, to show the competitive side of things on top of how they inspired? Edumund to add some map generation tools in Rebirth

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Boilr and balls of steel are both awesome, and while we're sure to see it expand into rebirth, I'm waiting for rebirth specifics before dropping it into the OP.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Was really hoping for about a month sooner than the announced date, but damn, so full of anticipation.

I've got right around 200 hours in the original, which I'm pretty sure is easily the most amount of time I have in a single game that isn't World of Warcraft.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Wait, what, really already announced as a PS+ freebie 2 months in advance??? I was gonna get it for my Vita anyhow, but wow, that's pretty damn keen.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Wait, what, really already announced as a PS+ freebie 2 months in advance??? I was gonna get it for my Vita anyhow, but wow, that's pretty damn keen.

It's been known for quite a while, actually. The release date came out today, and it lines up with the ps+ free games.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I really hope this version does something about how much time you are forced to spend in the FUCKING ARCADES if you want to maximize your RNG.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    Was really hoping for about a month sooner than the announced date, but damn, so full of anticipation.

It's right up there with the movie Sleepy Hollow in terms of "Just in time for Hallow-oh, wait."

• Options
    http://bindingofisaac.com/post/97013539659/rebirth-gets-flashy

Weekly update, talking about the flash filter, and other things

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I wish this and Towerfall would release on ps3. I'm not buying a fancy ps4 for 2 indie games dammit!!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Danielle and Edmund apparently streamed some Rebirth on twitch last night. They don't actually start playing the game until about 4-5 minutes in, and you can barely see the actual game in action, but figured someone might be interested. I noticed a "continue" option in the menu which I was unaware of before, so at least I learned something new. I kind of gave up on watching it when I realized I wouldn't be seeing anything beyond ghostly superimposed video of the game.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm so damn excited about this. I love Isaac and suck it it tremendously. It'll be so so great to finally be able to use a controller.

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Preordered this the day it became available. I spent about 60 hours with the original, and I'm looking forward to all the new content, unlocking everything again, and the game actually being patchable and expandable again.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm so damn excited about this. I love Isaac and suck it it tremendously. It'll be so so great to finally be able to use a controller.
    I'm looking forward to that as well, because I have a cheap-ass keyboard that doesn't accept more than two simultaneous key presses.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Just ticked over to my 112th hour in the original while nabbing my 71st achievement out of the 84.

...oh god, I'm going to have to get all of the achievements over again in Rebirth, aren't I?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Nah.

There's more now :p

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered User regular
    **500 hours to unlock/experience everything
    I already feel sorry for hardcore achievement hunters, scored 30ish hours in BoI.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Just ticked over to my 112th hour in the original while nabbing my 71st achievement out of the 84.

...oh god, I'm going to have to get all of the achievements over again in Rebirth, aren't I?

I've given up with two achievements left, dark boy and Platinum God I think.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I played the hell out of the Binding of Isaac when it came out. The only achievement I couldn't get was Dark Boy, because for some reason the Depths were harder than the Womb for me to avoid getting hit by anything. Actually, I'm fairly certain I got Golden God from some random glitch, like entering a room or something.

When Wrath of the Lamb came out, I was excited. But when I started playing, it just didn't click with me. It wasn't until earlier this year after obsessively playing Spelunky dailies that I finally gave it another shot, and this time it hooked me. According to Steam, the only achievement I don't have is Platinum God, but in-game I am apparently missing 4 secrets. I'm not going to bother trying to figure out what I am missing, or even if I am missing anything. Hopefully the achievements/secrets system isn't as glitchy in Rebirth.

One thing I am sad about is the total lack of Danny Baranowsky's soundtrack. That music fit the game so damn well, plus it was very catchy. I find myself whistling the main theme every now and then. The songs I've heard from the new soundtrack don't really do anything for me, but that might change when I hear them in their proper context in-game.

• Options
    edmund and danny b had some kind of falling out, apparently

• Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I played the hell out of the Binding of Isaac when it came out. The only achievement I couldn't get was Dark Boy, because for some reason the Depths were harder than the Womb for me to avoid getting hit by anything. Actually, I'm fairly certain I got Golden God from some random glitch, like entering a room or something.

When Wrath of the Lamb came out, I was excited. But when I started playing, it just didn't click with me. It wasn't until earlier this year after obsessively playing Spelunky dailies that I finally gave it another shot, and this time it hooked me. According to Steam, the only achievement I don't have is Platinum God, but in-game I am apparently missing 4 secrets. I'm not going to bother trying to figure out what I am missing, or even if I am missing anything. Hopefully the achievements/secrets system isn't as glitchy in Rebirth.

One thing I am sad about is the total lack of Danny Baranowsky's soundtrack. That music fit the game so damn well, plus it was very catchy. I find myself whistling the main theme every now and then. The songs I've heard from the new soundtrack don't really do anything for me, but that might change when I hear them in their proper context in-game.

I'm eternally haunted by not having the achievement for Mom's Contact, despite having Golden God

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I'm not sure why the depths are so much harder than the womb, but especially with Wrath of the Lamb installed its so easy to get hit or trapped on entering a room if you spawn the wrath tileset. I'm missing only one item for Platinum God, but it only spawns in the Angel Rooms and those are obnoxious to get.

That's really sad to hear the soundtrack is getting replaced. I also really enjoyed the old one. ._.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edmund and danny b had some kind of falling out, apparently

Yeah, I read some vague things to that effect too. That's a shame.
    38thDoe wrote: »
    That's really sad to hear the soundtrack is getting replaced. I also really enjoyed the old one. ._.

The interesting thing about the new soundtrack is it's being recorded with real instruments by these guys, who are also doing the Mew-Genics soundtrack:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy_WMtVBkhI

• Options
    I thought mew-genics was cancelled?

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Apparently not. From the Team Meat blog dated Aug 29, they're currently working on Super Meat Boy Forever, and: "Mewgenics is not canceled, we just put it on hold to work full time on this one. once SMB:F is released we will hop back on it."

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh good! I'm super excited for it.

I guess I'll just return this arsenic then. Where did I leave the receipt?

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

I've given up with two achievements left, dark boy and Platinum God I think.

Exact same for me. I'd always get so damn close to Dark Boy and then take like, one hit on Mom. So annoying...

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    I always had trouble with getting the Womb no-damage achievement; it was one of the last ones I had to get en route to Platinum God. When I finally got it it was when I ended up rolling a Shovel in a Secret Room and held the Tarot card that took me directly to the Boss room prior to the Womb. So when I beat Mom I dropped into the first floor Womb level, popped the Shovel to go straight to the second floor Womb, then popped the Tarot card and tried not to panic and get hit with a eyeball laser or a BS bomb blast from Mom's Heart.

All according to plan :p

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    The new soundtrack seems great, just not as great as Baronowsky's.

I too am very excited for Mewgenics.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    http://bindingofisaac.com/post/98202531689/isaac-the-hardening

Weekly update again. There's a hard mode!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Thank god, I'm glad they decided to make the game hard finally.
    I've beaten Mom once, I think, ever.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    According to your cheevos you haven't even done that. But you've also played 9 hours, I've played 6 times that and I'm still awful. I'M SO BAD AT VIDEOGAMES

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Got all but like, 7 achievements, then i got drunk, wiped my progress and now I can't handle trying to do it all again.

Rebirth will be a rebirth for me as well.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    According to your cheevos you haven't even done that. But you've also played 9 hours, I've played 6 times that and I'm still awful. I'M SO BAD AT VIDEOGAMES
    Either I'm misremembering or (more likely) BoI was one of a few games that I played quite a bit during a time when I had no Internet on my gaming computer. I downloaded a lot of games that I could replay forever to last me through the Internet drought.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I've gotten Mom's Knife in three of my last four runs (one of them giving up Ipecac for it). Am I pro yet?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

The weird thing is that the game gets easier as you play it until you unlock making it harder. Not only do you start learning all the bosses patterns and such, but you unlock much better characters and items, including stuff that is infinitely abusive.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I've, uh, actually beaten the entire game, but for some reason the last few achievements didn't pop for me.

All secrets and items, and I've beaten every single secret boss.

My main menu screen tells me to get a life or something like that.

• Options
    I've, uh, actually beaten the entire game, but for some reason the last few achievements didn't pop for me.

Yeah, that's part of why Rebirth is coming out. The original was kind of a buggy mess and the achievements were especially bad (like all the beat x boss with blue baby achievements were swapped with the equivalent ones for... either judas or cain, I can't remember)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Yeah, that's part of why Rebirth is coming out. The original was kind of a buggy mess and the achievements were especially bad (like all the beat x boss with blue baby achievements were swapped with the equivalent ones for... either judas or cain, I can't remember)

It was really frustrating! I only beat it as many times as I did because I figured I must have done something wrong.

• Options
    Edmund talking about the original Binding of Isaac, filmed/edited for the special edition of Indie Game: the Movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMqFTuMECeA

• Options
    I think that's only free for this week, so give it a watch

also, a blog post:

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/98656451214/isaac-turns-3