As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Okay...pausing the run mid-way, on account of breakfasting, but...

Now, i don't want to get my hopes up, but...i've got Epic Fetus on the Keeper, and a Swallowed Penny, so if i'm quick i can heal off a hit. Screwed up my devil deals, so there'll probably be no Mega Satan fight, but...maybe, maybe, i can pull off Boss Rush and Hush. Maybe even finish a full run with him for the first time.

i'm guardedly optimistic.

[edit to add] Oh, those fucking trap rooms...the ones with the 8wandering spiky things? They can go to hell and die, thanks very much. Saa...well, it happened once, it can happen again. Probably shouldnae taken guillotine, though, i always mix up head and body [/edit]

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    So, I got a card against humanity, a 2 of Diamonds, and a Card mimic on the same floor.

Pretty sure I now have all of the things.

0O12AdW.png

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    So, I got a card against humanity, a 2 of Diamonds, and a Card mimic on the same floor.

Pretty sure I now have all of the things.

0O12AdW.png

All you needed after that is a store that stocks batteries and you most certainly can have all the things! Just don't take Missing No. or Bag of Pills. That ended my fun here:

53113CDCBF21C72FFC7714A12516E0C013336341

It was too bad none of that stuff came with me to the next level.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Saa...so after some promising runs this morning, my play has been in fair freefall. Stupid hits on top of the usual difficulty of the Lost and Keeper.

So, i thought i'd play a bit of Lilith Greed Mode to wipe the taste of failure out of my mouth.

Picked up a SacDag off a Devil Deal. Little later got a 9volt and Battery Buddy in a shop. In addition to all the regular train o' familiars fun, i could get up to eight SacDags around me in an octagon of bloody death. It was wonderful.

Have to remind myself sometimes to take a break from trying to unlock stuff, and just have fun.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    Oh I should mention my run also began with Sack Head (I was playing Eden) so I also had pretty much unlimited batteries as well.

Eventually I accidentally used up my last 2 of diamonds and so I just started using a wheel of fortune instead.

I just kept blowing up fortune teller machines and getting one or two sacks, which very frequently resulted in batteries, which meant I could make even MORE machines and blow THOSE up to make even more batteries, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gxXUbETUCM&feature=gp-n-y&google_comment_id=z125c3zrwkjmjbrwm04ce1epwtmaypijwwk0k&ab_channel=Goatmon

You know, when I got rubber cement as my first free powerup, I was tempted to restart the run 'cause it usually doesn't really help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxZ02QfrviI&ab_channel=Goatmon

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    How did you start the Ultra Greed fight in the top of the room?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Rubber cement is easily one of my favorite items in the game and I have no idea why anyone would reroll it

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    How did you start the Ultra Greed fight in the top of the room?

By returning to the game after leaving during the fight.

I realized how hilarious the fight was with my loadout so I exited and went back in with fraps running.

also, lost now holds holy mantle, wooooooooooooooooooo

Goatmon on

• Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    Rubber cement is easily one of my favorite items in the game and I have no idea why anyone would reroll it

It really depends on your build.

It's also SUPER useful for Azazel. When it bounces off a wall, it crosses the entire room, circumventing his biggest weakness.

• Options
    Absolutely blew it on the daily today and died at the first boss. Flew too close to the sun, I guess.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    So I got some Dice Shards and Jera runes running and I have now picked up like a hundred items.

I don't know what's happening but I have a blender of knives surrounding me, backed up by a ring from Tech X. Any items on the screen get violently hurled into me, any enemies on the screen (including bosses) instantly die for some reason, if I charge up long enough I can shoot like twenty rings that will wrap around the screen basically forever, and my Dark Bum WILL NOT STOP pooping out soul hearts.

If I drop a bomb it summons five rings of knives that spin for a while, then fly off. Then it drops more bombs.

Garthor on
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Absolutely blew it on the daily today and died at the first boss. Flew too close to the sun, I guess.
    It was a shitty daily run all over for me. I still had 1 damage going into The Chest. And 3 hearts. I was key starved and missed multiple treasure rooms, chests, and stores. Got a Level 2 Meat Boy. Every fight was a battle of attrition. Just the least fun. But at least I got to the ??? before I died.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Just beat the daily run.

A bombs are key pill gave me plenty of keys for the chest, so I got all the upgrades, and the secret room had pyro, so woo.

Hardly got any actual DPS upgrades prior to the chest, though. It was pretty slow going.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Oh wow. Managed to beat the Hush on my first try at him when I was doing a run for the boss room on Isaac. I skipped a few items so all ("all") I had were Lil' Brimstone, Chocolate Milk, Fire Mind, Polyphemus, and Tech X, as well as a couple speed ups I think. Grabbed a Spoon Bender at Hush (didn't have another key for the other item room, used one to open the shop hoping for a key, only got a battery and a soul heart) and managed to beat him through sheer force of will. I only had one and a half soul hearts because I'd died twice and gotten revived by Guppy's Collar before then, but I managed to just plain not get hit.

I literally went into the Blue Womb going "eh, I don't think I'll make it to the chest anyway with only half a soul heart, so why the hell not?"

• Options
    Arrg...

Managed to fuck up not one, but two perfectly viable Lost runs. Both rolled into fairly high damage, both had the Soul (and one had a pretty fly and cube of meat for defense). Both had full key pieces.

The one, all the way up to Isaac. Tried fighting the first time, lost my Mantle stupid early, Mooned out to try it again. Did really well, got him into his third phase. Lost the Mantle again, but wasnae too worried. Then, on one of the lightbeam passes, i didn't notice i'd not wedged myself far enough into the corner, and...pfft.

The second, picked up an early Ipecac, and a fair stack of DMG and speed bonuses. Actually get to Hush with more than enough time to spare. Lose the Mantle getting rushed by some Hushlings (that i really should've been able to avoid). Forgot. Got a touch too close with an Ipecac shot, and...pfft.

i do seem to be getting better with Lost, so...i really don't think scratching off Mega Satan/ Hush is impossible for me, but...eh, a leetle frustrating.

Now, Keeper, still doing for shite with him.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    You know what's a fun thing to do as The Lost?

Enter a super tiny 1x1 devil room with Krampus.

SO FUN.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You know what's a fun thing to do as The Lost?

Enter a super tiny 1x1 devil room with Krampus.

SO FUN.

Super tiny rooms with Lust are also pretty great. :/

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I decided to do a Greed Mode run with Eden tonight.

One of my starting items? Glowing Hourglass. I also started with Cambion Conception, which I didn't notice until a Dark Bum spawned after I got hit a few times. One of the first items I got was the Placenta, so now I'm in the Depths and waiting for my health to regenerate so I can take more hits and spawn more familiars.

Unfortunately, I am in serious need of some tears up items. And tear speed. I am hoping to get powerful enough to take down Ultra Greed tomorrow. If I can reliably kill him quickly, I'm going to fill that donation machine up as much as possible and repeat it via that hourglass.

• Options

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Huh, that's odd.

My Greed Machine exploded.

I can't imagine why! 8->

8LnFFhV.jpg

Goatmon on

• Options
    Huh, that's odd.

My Greed Machine exploded.

I can't imagine why! 8->

Have fun with the Keeper!

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I decided to do a Greed Mode run with Eden tonight.

One of my starting items? Glowing Hourglass. I also started with Cambion Conception, which I didn't notice until a Dark Bum spawned after I got hit a few times. One of the first items I got was the Placenta, so now I'm in the Depths and waiting for my health to regenerate so I can take more hits and spawn more familiars.

Unfortunately, I am in serious need of some tears up items. And tear speed. I am hoping to get powerful enough to take down Ultra Greed tomorrow. If I can reliably kill him quickly, I'm going to fill that donation machine up as much as possible and repeat it via that hourglass.

So this morning I continued this game and got an Incubus and Lil Brimstone familiar with Cambion Conception, then got the syringe & mushroom transformations. Things were going great!

Too bad I forgot that I needed a Battery to keep things going with the Glowing Hourglass at Ultra Greed. Oh well. I got to put coins in the machine twice, at least.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Dibby wrote: »
    Now if only they'd do something similar for, I dunno, Maggie/Lazarus/Samson...

Samson really doesn't need any upgrades.

Just get hit a bit, and you're pretty beefy by the end of a level.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Samson is fine. A lot of stuff combos with him to make for good runs, and he's very powerful in Greed Mode.

Maggie should start with Goathead so I can put those hearts to use.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Maggie would be hilarious if she started with Bloody Lust.

• Options
    Just had a Judas run where I was aiming for Hush and Mega Satan. First item room? Death's Touch. I proceeded to get a bunch of damage upgrades. a Goat's Head, an Angel room which gave me flight and a key fragment. I still had pretty low amount of health, though.

Then I encountered one of those big rooms with a bunch of Nulls in the center, blocked in by some rocks which could be blown up by explosive barrels. I figured I'd just fly over and exterminate them without blowing open the rocks. But I took a clumsy hit on my first try, and then I bumped into a fire while retreating. I made one more attempt and got killed. That was quite depressing.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Best lost run I've ever had, I think.

It's nice when the game actually throws devil deals at me so I can play worth a damn on this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq_vMRZ5eVY

edit: Cleared the Dark room as well. :D I'm on fire tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpxUhUo5qL8&ab_channel=Goatmon

Goatmon on

• Options
    Lusty Blood is pretty dang good in Greed Mode.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Box of friends is amazing for greed mode, although I think everyone figures that out when they try it with Lilith. :P

• Options
    Box of Friends + Rune Bag + Only having Jera and Perthro unlocked for silliest Greed Mode.

Unfortunately I died before the silliness started on that run.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Goatmon on

• Options
    Man, it'll be nice when they fix the Battery Bug. Having a second use of Book of Shadows would've really helped with that Mega Satan fight.

On the nominal plus-side, i did manage to make it to Megs with the Lost for the first time. The loadout wasn't what you'd call super-powered, but i did have homing Technology, so i was getting things done. Unfortunately i got cornered by a couple Troll bombs from Super Envy, wanted to hold on to the Book of Shadows use for Megs' final form, and then zigged when i shoulda zagged and got tagged by one of the Angel's lasers. Disappointing, but, just getting there is a step in the right direction.

Not as embarrassing, at least, as having a fully evolved Bumbo to kill an Key Piece Angel; then, instead of just letting it do the job, deciding i needed to lend a hand (i totally didn't) and just walking into a face fulla laser.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Today's daily started off not great for me, but it got better.
    I took red heart damage in the second level and didn't get a devil deal, which my wife informs me had a damage up. I didn't get a damage up item until late into the run.

I also made the mistake of trying to reroll one of the boss items, which didn't reroll because it's nothing but turkey today! And then I picked up a There's Options, completely forgetting that all I'd get is a choice of two turkeys.

One of the Womb floors had a library and Curse of the Blind, but I managed to reroll it enough times that it gave me something other than books. Walked out of there with Spider Bite and Daddy Long Legs. Not a bad haul.

I still came in behind my wife's score, but at least I beat the run.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. you definitely got unlucky in your run.
    On depths 1 or 2, you can pick up Ipecac, and I also have a hunch that if you keep the D6 until the dark room, you can reroll at least something into Money=power, since that's kinda the way the run went. started out as a native american, Then you get money. SO MUCH MONEY. Then you get the keeper's head at one point.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Today's daily involved a turret walkway room filled with walking skulls.

In other words

My run ended in a turret walkway room filled with walking skulls.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Daily:
    Trying to fight Hush with Number 1 was perhaps not the best of ideas, managed to scrape through but only because of the Stopwatch. Fun fact: with the Stopwatch effect Hush's continuum tears do not actually continuum.

• Options
    Been doing Keeper runs today. Got a pretty good one going, currently.

Got the Swallowed Penny, and a gold bomb. I now have infinite money until I leave the level.

Sadly, I cannot finish it yet because, out of all the days in the year, my only working monitor fizzled out on Thanksgiving.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee. 8->

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Been doing Keeper runs today. Got a pretty good one going, currently.

Got the Swallowed Penny, and a gold bomb. I now have infinite money until I leave the level.

Sadly, I cannot finish it yet because, out of all the days in the year, my only working monitor fizzled out on Thanksgiving.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeee. 8->

At least you can get a cheap replacement on Black Friday!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    So I got that run back up and running. Made it to the chest!

And then it dropped double adversary on me.

Thanks for that, RNG. Not like I actually wanted to beat the game or anything. :(

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Oh. Greed mode inherits the difficulty from Hard mode. ...Oh.

Well, after around 20 attempts I finally cleared Greed mode with Azazel, so I unlocked Lilith. Took some unholy combo involving mom's knife to do it but I did it.