As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Unlocked Keeper and beat Greed Mode with him. Turns out shielded tears is pretty good on him.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    haha oh man

did anyone else have loads of fun with the Depths II shop in today's daily?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I didn't have the cash to make use of it really, today's daily was pretty bleh all round for me, I probably missed a trick somewhere.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Caves 1 shop has a piggy bank

Caves 2 Shop has a steam sale

Depths 1 shop has a restock

Depths 2 has an arcade with a blood donation machine that explodes into an IV bag.

Get all four and you have non-stop shopping.

To be fair, the piggy bank is 100% crucial to all of these things, but

I never pass up the piggy bank.

It's free money whenever you take a hit. Pays for itself pretty quickly.

Here's my daily, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnKDlVfm0DU&ab_channel=Goatmon

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited November 2015
    edit: I'm still doing a redo of this run, just to see how complete crazy it can get if I get literally everything. You guys should check out my broadcast (Link in sig)

Goatmon on

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Sweet Christmas! Ultra Greed Losted-ded!
    5al9gLb.jpg

Fuck those new Brimstone Ghosts. So many on the edge of my seat close calls because of them.

• Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    Woot! Woot!

Finally got Mega Satan taken out with the Lost! Car Battery Book of Shadows and a lucky set of Pretty Fly (tried a slot machine for some keys, got those instead). Early Goat Head let me farm Key Pieces, and later Devil Deals loaded me up with Brimstone and lots of damage. Also, Censer is really, really nice. *phew* Even with all that, tense right at the end, popped the BoS early, 'cause i got tagged with one of S.Pride's bombs (again).

Just, wow, super cool (even if the unlock is just a co-op baby).

That leaves Hush, which...should be as hard, but at least there's no mucking about skipping Deals to try and get Key Pieces.

And then, yeah, still the full sweep (minus Greed Mode) with Keeper. Not super-looking forward to that, but...

Yeah, happy milestone here.

steam_sig.png
    時計仕掛けの子の丸々太った磁器の顔に表情は無いが、転がりながら、口がカチッと開閉して、腕が上下に動い た。

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Sweet Christmas! Ultra Greed Losted-ded!
    5al9gLb.jpg

Fuck those new Brimstone Ghosts. So many on the edge of my seat close calls because of them.
    Actually...you need to do it ONE more time. There's an unlock for making it explode.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Oh yeah. For sure I did that on my next run. I just was so happy that I finally beat Greed with the Lost. On that note, I just beat Greed with the Keeper too. Not being able to do curse rooms was a real pain.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    I'm a little bummed that Keeper seems like he's going to join the pre-tweaked Lost on the list of characters that you only play for the sake of completion (even though the vast majority of his unlocks are fucking garbage) and not just because you feel like doing a run. I think they did a pretty excellent job with Lilith making her a unique character that you would still want to play if she popped up on your random rotation - and even the lost now that he starts with D4 and Holy Mantle (depending on what you need).

I dunno, maybe I just need more time with him, but right now he's bordering on a NO FUN ALLOWED char.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    chris: waffle kingchris: waffle king whiskey-fueled crank Osaka's OverbellyRegistered User regular
    hush wrote: »

I dunno, maybe I just need more time with him, but right now he's bordering on a NO FUN ALLOWED char.

Hear hear!

Yeah, that's been my experience with him as well. Granted, he's got some edges over Rebirth-Lost, in that you can get a kinda regeneration with Swallowed Penny/Piggy Bank (and then, only if nothing gets in between you and the dropped penny), but losing out on the best Devil Deals (barring picking up Judas' Tongue) just lades on another layer of unfun. i think i'm in the same boat, i'll play 'im to clear everything out, but after that, i probably won't touch him unless he pops up on random.

One, small, fun thing came up in a run last night (that i promptly screwed up, mind). My first Item was Lud.Tech, second floor's was Triple Shot (it was curse of the blind). Had the main tear surrounded by a ring of six, smaller tears, like a molecule.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
    Wanna watch a gaijin butcher monsters and the Japanese Language all at once? Sure you do, and now you can!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Yeah, Keeper is kind of a dogshit character.

The Lost compensates for his weaknesses very well. Free Devil Deals is a pretty amazing perk sometimes.

Keeper's only perk is making more money, which entirely relies on the game not being a dick with shops.

And if you enter a room that has no coins, and the wooden nickel fails, you're way worse off than as the lost, because you can't attack anything from behind cover.

Only thing I could see making him playable would be if his coin-health wasn't capped to 2.

edit: Oh christ's sake, the sacrifice rooms don't automatically trigger when Keeper steps on one. That really should be patched.

double edit: He dies if you take a 2 heart devil deal. Jesus Christ, this character is awful.

Goatmon on

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Just had a pretty interesting Eden run. Started out kinda alright, Sagittarius second item room which was great (peircing shots is my favorite mechanic in the game behind Rubber Cement), but very little in the way of damage ups. Got a good amount of tears, though, and had the Mom transformation on the first floor (which was Basement XL). Started with Mom's Bra, got Mom's Lipstick from a boss, got the eyeshadow in the item room. Then on Catacombs XL I find a D4, reroll because fuck it, all I see is I have tractor beam and some sort of multishot, and then immediately pick up Mom's Knife in an adjacent item room. Turns out it was Triple Shot that I had.

Note: Tractor Beam does not pull Triple Shot Mom's Knives in, but if you look in a different direction while the knives are flying they'll teleport to the direction you're looking in. Feels weird but is useful sometimes.

Held onto the D4 because I didn't have a better spacebar item, got Dark Bum from somewhere to feed me HP, barely got into Boss Rush to get Mitre, barely got into Hush and beat him starting with only 2 hearts (and 9 lives but I didn't want to use them). I actually gained HP from the Hush fight! It's quite easy to avoid getting hit more than 2-3 times given decent speed and crowd control on the Hush fight once you get the patterns down.

Oh right, I also got Host Hat and Sad Bombs from the reroll, and I didn't know I had sad bombs until I picked up Curse of the Tower from a curse room. Any time I get hit I get a free 6 bombs that pose no threat to me and fill the screen with knives? Yes pls.

Anyway, clean up hush, clean up isaac, clean up Blue Baby without even using the Chaos Card I had on the off chance I could somehow scum my way into Mega Satan. That didn't work out, but I did D4 like 6 times because of a ridiculous amount of battery drops. Got a new transformation with practically every reroll. Ended up with a tally like this:
    Mom
    Seraphim (rosary from first reroll + mitre, I think? also may have touched the bible... yeah, I did, because I had rosary. that'd do it)
    On the chest:
    Fungi
    Conjoined (not sure, I thought I had had gemini on a previous reroll? maybe steven? iunno. oh wait, this is the tumor one everyone was saying. just thought it was actually called tumor at this point)
    Spin! (tiny planet definitely had something to do with it--no wait, it's the syringe transformation)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Oh...holy crow...

The Lost's Post-it is now complete, just took out Hush. *phew* As has come up before, two Pretty Fly and a Cube of Meat was what really made it possible. Had some Damage ups, but nothing that'd send you over the Moon. Did pick up a Unicorn Horn and Car Battery, though, which was pretty big when i got tagged by a fly(!!) and lost my Mantle. Also Charge (Battery?) Baby, though that only dropped the one battery during the fight. The biggest challenge was not freaking out and moving when he started doing the Continuum shots. Would've dodged right into them, orbitals or no. Still, just standing (floating?) there stock-still was really freaking me out. Still, made it through.

Interesting later synergy. Picked up Spoon Bender earlier in the run. One of Hush's Item Rooms had Mom's Knife, which i'd passed on for the fight, 'cause i never do well with it once he starts spitting out Hushlings. Picked it up after, and went on with things. Spoon Bender+Mom's Knife makes it flip all over the place, jumping to the nearest available enemy once the current one is killed, kinda hard to get it going where you think it ought.
    But, but...got to The Chest, and Epic Fetus is in the first room. Epic Fetus+Knife+Spoon Bender+Continuum fills regular rooms with a storm of knives, knives that loop the screen and swirl around in artful, curving passes to kill things. It is truly a thing to behold. i really, really am digging on synergies introduced with Afterbirth.

So, now...Keeper. *shudder*

Also, as an aside. Was looking at TV Tropes, and they said, under "The Developer Thinks of Everything," running into Ultra Greed with Midas Touch will one-hit kill him. Can anyone confirm or deny?

chris: waffle king on
    steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    The wiki says it just removes his damage reduction. That's still useful, though.

Anyway, today's daily is garbage.

But it's Maggie, so I dunno why I expected otherwise.

Very few real damage upgrades, didn't get any speed boosts so it was very difficult to avoid damage and so I didn't get a single devil deal.

And then on the double depths level the item rooms had my reflection and anti-gravity. Worthless.

I ended up dying to the first stage of Satan. didn't even actually fight SATAN. How embarrassing.

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    The wiki says it just removes his damage reduction. That's still useful, though.

So, not all that, but still a thing to keep in mind, yeah. Ug's damage reduction is ridonkulous.

Also, this is, apparently a holy crow kinda night. Just had a stupid good run with Keeper, if you can believe it (mind, this was after 6or 7 awful runs, but no matter). Second floor Epic Fetus and a Swallowed Penny from a smashed pot. Took a gamble and grabbed a Nine Lives out of a Devil Deal, lucked into a Magic Mushroom in the Caves to make up for the lost coin. Grabbed a Bible and an Emperor card out of a shop (died in the same Wall Turret/Grey Silkworm room before i remembered i could use the Bible to fly to a safe spot, and not just as a "Get Out of Mom Free" card). The Emp got me to Boss Rush, and an earlier Treasure Map pick up got me through the Womb(s) in short order. i totally chickened out on doing Hush. No dependable defense, no orbitals (sure, still had 6lives left, but that's a one way ticket to a death spiral). Had a d100 from Womb I, but was afraid to play around with it and chooch up a sure thing. Still, that's the light side of the Post-It note done and gone. Now there's Dark Side, Megs, and Hush. Hopefully having Wooden Nickel as a starter will make things slightly less stressful.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I didn't have the cash to make use of it really, today's daily was pretty bleh all round for me, I probably missed a trick somewhere.

Anyway, today's daily is garbage.

But it's Maggie, so I dunno why I expected otherwise.

Very few real damage upgrades, didn't get any speed boosts so it was very difficult to avoid damage and so I didn't get a single devil deal.

And then on the double depths level the item rooms had my reflection and anti-gravity. Worthless.

I ended up dying to the first stage of Satan. didn't even actually fight SATAN. How embarrassing.

I didn't find it too bad, and I did manage to beat Mega Satan, but it was a little touch and go. Picking up Anti-Grav and My Reflection was probably a mistake (albeit a hilarious one), there was no way I was beating Hush with that so I skipped it.

• Options
    Ah...threw a perfectly doable Keeper Dark Side run down the drain going up against Hush. Actually, a win wasn't entirely out of the question, had ChocMilk, Rubber Cement, and Tech .5, so there were reflecting shots/beams all over the place. On the other, the only defense i had was the Wooden Nickel (which didn't pay out), and a Fat Fly. At least one more orbital and maybe i coulda done it, but...eh. Maybe next go.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I did fairly well in today's daily, but screwed up in the Womb 2. I had actually gotten a few angel room items, although nothing too great from them since I had also bought Chaos at a store. I picked up a Forget Me Now in Womb 2 and had intended on using it before I left the floor, but after I cleared all the rooms I had a brainfart and exited instead of using it.

I did OK in Sheol until I got to Satan, where I got real sloppy. Got stomped by him in his last form just as I made the killing blow.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    Finally beat Suicide King challenge! God that was both hilarious and annoying. Now onto Solar System :rotate: .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    Finally beat Suicide King challenge! God that was both hilarious and annoying. Now onto Solar System :rotate: .

Suicide King was my worst of the original 20. And the hardest one I beat legitimately, not with some items that make it easy. And of course it unlocks a card I'll probably never use.

• Options
    xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    xiears wrote: »

Suicide King was my worst of the original 20. And the hardest one I beat legitimately, not with some items that make it easy. And of course it unlocks a card I'll probably never use.

I got quite lucky, I got an early lucky rock and a restock, meaning I was able to buy shitloads of soulhearts to mitigate accidental damage. Eventually I got curse of the tower and homing bombs, meaning if I did balls up and hit myself the enemies would pretty much die anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Those of you playing Rebirth NOW instead of when it was new have the possibility of unlocking the incubus, which can show up during blindfolded runs.

I actually had this happen once or twice during the couple no-tears challenges in Afterbirth, and it's a life saver. |

But it was not available when I was first clearing the original challenges. Boy was that fun. :rotate:

Goatmon on

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Those of you playing Rebirth NOW instead of when it was new have the possibility of unlocking the incubus, which can show up during blindfolded runs.

I actually had this happen once or twice during the couple no-tears challenges in Afterbirth, and it's a life saver. |

But it was not available when I was first clearing the original challenges. Boy was that fun. :rotate:

Tammy's Head and Guppy's Head accomplished similar goals, though. Turns damage ups into meaningful contributions to the blindfold runs. Guppy's Head won me several of those runs single-handedly.

Also, I just finally beat Mega Stan with Judas. For some reason I was having SO much trouble getting that one done, and I finally got it... with a soy milk cursed eye run!

Also pyromaniac/curse of the tower/iv bag/restock, which lead to me getting all the bomb synergies so I hit spacebar twice and cover any room with enough napalm to make my computer stutter.

Though a clutch Crown of Light from Womb II devil deal actually let me totally shred Mega Satan without bothering with IV bag. Just tap-shooting my soy milk cursed eye shots tore him up in seconds.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Things that make me want to throw my monitor out while playing The Lost.

Getting immaculate conception

Boss rush rooms where the only cover is very small and is adjacent to exploding barrels, while I have Mom's Knife.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Finally got the Wooden Penny for the Keeper. It helps. Sort of.

Also, Ludo with Dr. Fetus is silly.

mildlymorbid on
  • Options
    Just had a run with Lilith that was going extremely well. I was aiming for Hush or Mega Satan; I beat It Lives with 6 minutes to spare. I had the Goat's Head and an Angel Room spawned afterwards, so I went in and aggroed the angel for half a key. I left the room and came back and was surprised to see the angel was back, so I bombed him and got the other half of the key! I wanted to see if it would be back again if I left and came back a third time, and it was. I guess I could have done that forever and gotten whatever items he drops after you get both halves of the key, but I wanted to move on.

I stepped into the light instead of the Hush entrance. God damnit.

Then I died fighting Isaac. Double god damnit.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Just had a run with Lilith that was going extremely well. I was aiming for Hush or Mega Satan; I beat It Lives with 6 minutes to spare. I had the Goat's Head and an Angel Room spawned afterwards, so I went in and aggroed the angel for half a key. I left the room and came back and was surprised to see the angel was back, so I bombed him and got the other half of the key! I wanted to see if it would be back again if I left and came back a third time, and it was. I guess I could have done that forever and gotten whatever items he drops after you get both halves of the key, but I wanted to move on.

Angels don't drop anything after you have both key pieces. If you can farm rerolls you could maybe keep rerolling the second key piece into angel items and then take the key itself when you're out of rerolls? But yeah, cool to know the angel statue comes back, I never realized the implications of that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

Angels don't drop anything after you have both key pieces. If you can farm rerolls you could maybe keep rerolling the second key piece into angel items and then take the key itself when you're out of rerolls? But yeah, cool to know the angel statue comes back, I never realized the implications of that.

The angel respawning like that was something I hadn't seen before, though. It might be a bug. I've heard that if you warp into the room with a Joker card and fight the angel, he'll be back after beating the boss.

But yeah, when I beat him the third time he just dropped a pill.

• Options
    I managed to get Dead Boy, which is really weird since I was going out of my way to get D6 charges for more wacky shit.

Ludo with Fruitcake and Three Dollar Bill is weird

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    the 'boy' cheevos were kind of trivialized by the addition of holy mantle

still don't have dark boy or mama's boy in WotL

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

The angel respawning like that was something I hadn't seen before, though. It might be a bug. I've heard that if you warp into the room with a Joker card and fight the angel, he'll be back after beating the boss.

But yeah, when I beat him the third time he just dropped a pill.

If you ever get a chance to reuse an angel room and you have a D6, definitely reroll one of the key pieces, if not more than one. If you're tough enough you can keep doing it until you're out of batteries or whatever.

Also, been running the KEeper today.

THe Fallen's Boss Screen may as well be the Game Over screen. Fuck that guy.

• Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    Just blew thru all of polaroid and hush with Keeper. He's garbage, but I got a D6 early and just played with devil deals until I could make my own luck (D6'ing a shovel into spirit of the night was the turning point). Could've probably gotten a mega satan kill but all the battery charges from all the sacks in the world did not roll me into dad's key on the chest (this is when you play violin music for me). The only reason I'm pumped is because that is half a post it I never have to do again -hah.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    It's really quite embarrassing that the most dangerous attack Ultra Greed can throw at me is just to walk at me.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    the 'boy' cheevos were kind of trivialized by the addition of holy mantle

still don't have dark boy or mama's boy in WotL
    Didn't have mantle.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    i'm slowly coming around on Keeper. Very slowly, and only just a little; but i'd peg him (with Wooden Nickel) as more fun than Rebirth-Lost, less fun than Maggie, so not utter hot-garbage.

Been getting better at dodging and crowd control, for sure. Threw another Hush run with him this morning (my own fault, the damage upgrade from Ipecac really isn't worth that much in that fight. Would've been better off with just Death's Touch). But the fact that i can get to Hush without too much stress (and both times i had full Keys for the Mega Satan fight) says something for my comfort level with him (if not, necessarily, his playablity).

i can get why they didn't want to give him the Wooden Nickel right from the get go, he's supposed to be the challenge character, and all. Still, i don't think it needs to be gated quite so far in. Maybe they figured it'd actually be easier to get through the cathedral, than the boss rush. At least they didn't have it unlock at Hush.

i think, if i have the time, i may be able to clear him off in the next day or so. i don't know how often i'll play him after, certainly more than i ever did Rebirth-Lost...though that's not saying much at all.

steam_sig.png

ージョン・タインズ、作家
    ー無名狂師、翻訳者 (俺)
  • Options
    Keeper (With wooden nickel) is definitely playable, but they really need to patch some features to make things not totally stupid unfair for him.

Devil Deals need to only cost 1 heart. Currently anything that costs 2 will kill him, so you can't get brimstone without extra lives.

Sacrifice rooms need to automatically reward you with a chest if you step on the spikes. He can't take more than one hit, so that automatically puts him at the equivalent of half a heart.

Beyond that? I think he's about as good as he needs to be for what they designed him for.

• Options
    Today's daily went OK, although started off a bit slow for me. It ends with It Lives, although had I been just a few seconds faster I could have made it to Hush, assuming you can get to him when the daily ends with Womb II.

• Options
    started a lilith run, got brimstone, wasn't really having that much fun. decided to at least go through boss rush since I had to with her and I could do it

boss rush had mom's knife

also cleared out hush, satan and the lamb, so now all I need for lilith is mega stan (unfortunately I got dad's key on second floor item room so no scumming that out in the dark room)

it's a pretty nice combo, especially when you can double it

oh yeah, I also never had more than two hearts between caves II and beating satan (including the hush fight), getting nine lives in there somewhere (only died a few times to Fistula on Sheol) and after I killed satan I found two balls of steel pills with which my emperor card guaranteed the death of the lamb

also had some extra spirit hearts from gimpy paying out when I died to fistula, but I didn't really need them after the balls of steel

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Today's daily went OK, although started off a bit slow for me. It ends with It Lives, although had I been just a few seconds faster I could have made it to Hush, assuming you can get to him when the daily ends with Womb II.

You cannot; the Hush door does not open even if you beat the clock.

My daily was saved by the Broken Ankh of all things, managed to accidentally step on some spikes in an early floor trap room and had to do the rest of the run as ??? in penance, pretty touch and go for hp too, had to do Boss Rush on 1.5 hearts, but a plethora of tinted rocks in the Womb II (plus 9 lives) pulled me through to the end.