As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Took three tries for my first Mom kill.

So many items now! Anbody any clue what Rosary Bead (faith up) was doing for me?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Restart steam, and verify integrity of game cache? Usually fixes weird launching issues like that if it isn't purely the games fault.

Yah, I tried that first.
    Some searching around suggest it's a problem a few people are having. I'll uninstall for now and try again later.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I completely missed that they were going to have this feature, but you can actually save & quit a run and start again where you left off later now.

That's amazing and totally welcome, especially with the handheld version.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Took three tries for my first Mom kill.

So many items now! Anbody any clue what Rosary Bead (faith up) was doing for me?

If it's an actual stat now, it probably increases your Angel room chance.

In the original game, it gave you three spirit hearts and dramatically increased the chance of The Bible appearing in shops (which was bad)

Emperor_Z on
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Did they improve the slot machines at all? It drove me crazy in the first game how long I had to waste in the first game waiting for the animations in the arcade to maximize the RNG.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh god, Cursed items can be a pain in the butt now.

Found this cursed eye that gives you a charged-up shot that shoots like a long string of tears in a row, but I'm guessing it's also the item that whenever I was taking damage, I would have a chance to trigger a random teleport.

Oh look, I've almost got Mom dead oh damnit got plinked for a damage and now I have to re-do the fight since I got teleported across the map.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    According to the Steam Achievements, 19.6% have "The Real Platinum God", something up there methinks

Just tried hard mode. It's tough, but I managed to make it to the Depths. Generally you get a load of Champion enemies, plus I came across some difficult Floormaster-like enemies.

I also gave the first challenge a whirl, and the hardest thing about it is you can't see your health bar.

steam_sig.png
  • xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Did they improve the slot machines at all? It drove me crazy in the first game how long I had to waste in the first game waiting for the animations in the arcade to maximize the RNG.

It's definitely a lot more responsive than before, and I'm pretty sure it's quicker as well.

steam_sig.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Managed to get mama's boy before basement boy again. At least I got the latter on the next run.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I got the Gimp on my first run-through through a deal with the devil costing one heart. From what I can tell, it gives a chance of dropping a soul heart when you're damaged.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Mom's heart kill!

So many devil deals. Had but a single heart but also a devil baby following me around who ate normal hearts and pooped out platinum hearts.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty excited to get off work, guys.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Sheol down... Spoiler is just a picture of my build in action
    250900_screenshots_2014-11-04_00001.jpg

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Just obliterated mom's heart, thanks to a second-floor curse room Guppy's Tail then finding Guppy's Paw and Guppy's Collar from two red chests in the same mob trap room. That's some NortherLion stuff, man.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Yeah I just got some bizarre combination of guppy items to get a "spawn a homing fly on every hit effect". Promptly blew through heart on my first go, and then went through Sheol without incident.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Kambing wrote: »
    Yeah I just got some bizarre combination of guppy items to get a "spawn a homing fly on every hit effect". Promptly blew through heart on my first go, and then went through Sheol without incident.

You become Guppy by getting three of any guppy items other than the hairball, giving you +damage and the mulligan's fly spawn effect. Also gives you flying.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Kambing wrote: »

You become Guppy by getting three of any guppy items other than the hairball, giving you +damage and the mulligan's fly spawn effect. Also gives you flying.

Ah ok. Never bothered going full Guppy except for the achievement in original BOI.

Not going to lie, though. It's ultra fun running through the game with the muscle memory I built up from the original but having new items and situations thrown at me. Definitely going to be playing the crap out of the remake now.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Well, I've done 6 runs, lost the first 2 and 'won' every one since then, including the last two through to Sheol. The run I just finished was fucking ridiculous for tear effects... I started with the splash tears, then I got Spirit of the Night from a deal with the devil for flying and spectral tears but my range was really low (then I got Range Up pills and a bunch of other range upgrades in a row), then I got the Fear tears from a deal with the devil, I also picked up Cancer as a trinket, which still seems as awesome as ever, along with a blue mushroom and another mushroom that had upped my fire rate, not skinny odd mushroom, not sure which one it was. Then I got Spider Bite for slowing tears, then right after that I got the iron bar for stunning tears. Then I got some upgrade that made flies and spiders bigger. Then I became Guppy on Depths 1, which worked really well with that previous one. And then I got an upgrade called 20/20 that made me shoot from both eyes every time, instead of alternating, so basically doubling my damage/tears. I constantly had a crazy huge ring of flies around me because of my insanely high fire rate, though my range and splash damage were so crazy that I rarely even got anything near me to actually use the flies. And then I got multiple damage ups in a row, like Cricket's Head and Pentagram. At the end, I had 'max' range and damage, rest of the stats on the stat screen weren't too crazy, but I was plenty fast and could fly, so it was all good.

I had 9-lives and died once just to pay for a deal with the devil, but after I was Guppy, I was almost unkillable. As evident from playing through the rest of the Depths, the Womb and Sheol with only about 2 spirit hearts at any particular time. I did die on Satan once, went back in with my one heart and destroyed him though. Definitely crazy stuff.

In fact, on my 6 runs so far, I've become Guppy twice so far. I kind of figure that'll change once more items are unlocked and in the pool...

Dranyth on
  • ConnConn Registered User regular
    Wait, I am really confused.

I beat Mom on my third run, but my stats page says I still have 0 Mom Kills.

That seems wrong.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
    Conn wrote: »
    Wait, I am really confused.

I beat Mom on my third run, but my stats page says I still have 0 Mom Kills.

That seems wrong.

You need to beat the Womb to count a Mom kill. The Womb are the floors after the Depths unlocked after you kill mom for the first time.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Anyone else having SFX issues? Supposedly it's if your computer is set for quadrophonic sound, but I don't know how to adjust that.

Edit: Now I have no sound for my computer at all. Great.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    What is the clock on the level progression on each run for? Anyone know?

MrDelish wrote: »
    What is the clock on the level progression on each run for? Anyone know?

How long you've been playing that run. For racing/speedrunning purposes.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Nah, he's talking about the clock face that moves across the level rectangles on the transition screen. I haven't looked into it yet, but I believe it might have to do with getting a 'bonus' for beating Mom in the Depths in under a certain amount of time. Not totally sure.

Actually, I think it's to time how fast you're getting to mom(or moms foot, I forget which). You can get a super devil deal room if you get there fast enough(I believe that's how that works).

Also, unlocked a new transformation.
    Lord of the Flies. It gave flying, and I think flies were becoming allied from being enemies, but not sure. It was quite a won run at that point.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    seems odd that when you kill the mother the first time you dont get the option to continue that run and instead it just ends and goes well dont youre a hero

obF2Wuw.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    First run with Isaac, unlocked Eve. Won with Technology, Headless Baby, a bunch of health and tear upgrades. Opened the Womb.

Fifth run with Isaac, Mom's Heart down (they really beefed up that fight), made my way down to Sheol, took out Satan. That whole run was a slew of new items.
    Also ended up with Lord of the Flies. Had "Best Buddy" (white fly only pops out when you get hit), "Attack Fly" a basic fly from the slot machine and something else - forget what. Didn't seem to make flies ignore me, but by this point, flies weren't a common enemy.
    - Made enough deals with Satan to unlock Azazel, got enough Soul Hearts to unlock Lazarus, won a dollar off the slot machine to unlock Cain.
    - Some Satan items: Brimstone Baby, Pentagram, some Goatskin thing where the text said "He Deems Your Sacrifice Worthy", and it put a bloody goatskin on my head, which gave me flight. Also picked up the Dead Cat, which I forget how much of a blessing/curse that item is.
    - Got an item from a Treasure Room that turns Isaac into Mr. Universe - if you hold an attack button down, all tears are held frozen in time until you release or there are sixteen or so tears, then they start shooting in the direction you fired them in. With Brimstone Baby, this made short work of most regular enemies and bosses.
    - One of the other new items I got was a new spider thing called Infestation 2. Killed enemies turn into friendly spiders that track enemies in a room and die, much like the similar blue fly Infestation item did from the first game. They will follow you through rooms, and I didn't notice a limit to the number of spiders you could bring around. At some point, I probably had 10 following along. Hard to keep a high number when you keep running into enemies. This, with Brimstone Baby and the Mr. Universe item cinched my win.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    So rusty, my first few attempts were hilariously bad. Got a bit better once I started remembering how stuff works (ie abuse arcade), and just beat Sheol on Isaac. I had stupid luck towards the end after at least 4 Luck Up pills and a luck boosting item. Quaranteed drops after every room is nice!

I don't know if the luck stat affects the dice room, but I got really lucky there. Before the dice room the run was kind of meh, I had low damage and no cool combos going. The room gave me the aforementioned new transformation, and a whole bunch of random powerups. I never got my damage stat very high, but there was so much stuff going on it didn't really matter :P

The soundtrack is a slight disappointment after the original, but love this otherwise.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Keemossi wrote: »
    So rusty, my first few attempts were hilariously bad. Got a bit better once I started remembering how stuff works (ie abuse arcade), and just beat Sheol on Isaac. I had stupid luck towards the end after at least 4 Luck Up pills and a luck boosting item. Quaranteed drops after every room is nice!

I don't know if the luck stat affects the dice room, but I got really lucky there. Before the dice room the run was kind of meh, I had low damage and no cool combos going. The room gave me the aforementioned new transformation, and a whole bunch of random powerups. I never got my damage stat very high, but there was so much stuff going on it didn't really matter :P

The soundtrack is a slight disappointment after the original, but love this otherwise.

I love the new Basement track over the old game, but in general, I agree. Not in love with the new Caves. Depths is alright. Womb, same. Sheol was creepy, but hardly memorable. Also, my SFX is cranked to max, but I find it hard to hear anything over the music, which is almost it's lowest setting next to mute. :(

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

Ohh jesus

I got the super devil room

I only won because broken watch(I think) perma-slowed everything. I would not have survived all ~24 bosses without it.

It was god damned madness. And I got two items. Not even that great(I've seen streamers get waaaaay better choices, though).

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

I love the new Basement track over the old game, but in general, I agree. Not in love with the new Caves. Depths is alright. Womb, same. Sheol was creepy, but hardly memorable. Also, my SFX is cranked to max, but I find it hard to hear anything over the music, which is almost it's lowest setting next to mute. :(

I like them both, though the new one definitely has made the stylistic choice to favor ambient, mood-setting noises over musicality, and I can see why some might not like it.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    So jelly of all of you right now, this sounds like an amazing improvement to the old game.

I really enjoyed the old soundtrack, but what I've heard of the new one has been great, but different.

Good different.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    Mini-review of the game, I guess

It's the Binding of Isaac plus. Really. Some shit is different, but not a whole lot, especially if you weren't "hardcore". If you liked BoI the original, you'll like this more, I believe. If you didn't like the original, steer far, far away.

Just realized I'd been playing with no sfx, only music. Couldn't get sfx working until switching sound settings to stereo :\

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Just realized I'd been playing with no sfx, only music. Couldn't get sfx working until switching sound settings to stereo :\

How'd you do that? It's killing me.

Depends on your system, there's no ingame option or such. On Windows 7 Audio Devices, select your device (speakers, headphones) -> Configure.

Depends on your system, there's no ingame option or such. On Windows 7 Audio Devices, select your device (speakers, headphones) -> Configure.

Windows 7. That's in control panel?

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Aaargh, I didn't preorder this because I didn't want to get sucked into it, but you all are testing my resolve...

edited November 2014

Yeah. Probably in your notification area too, right click the audio icon.

Heh, was initially disappointed to get 99 bombs from the first treasure room, instead of something cool. Then I realized I can bomb everything. Every wall, all the mushrooms, bosses.. :biggrin:

Keemossi on

Yeah. Probably in your notification area too, right click the audio icon.

Heh, was initially disappointed to get 99 bombs from the first treasure room, instead of something cool. Then I realized I can bomb everything. Every wall, all the mushrooms, bosses.. :biggrin:

In the corner, I have Speaker Properties, the controller is a Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM. I have tabs for General, Levels and Advanced, none of which mention the number of speakers.