As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth] Afterbirth+ is live!

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Keemossi wrote: »
    Just realized I'd been playing with no sfx, only music. Couldn't get sfx working until switching sound settings to stereo :\

How'd you do that? It's killing me.

Depends on your system, there's no ingame option or such. On Windows 7 Audio Devices, select your device (speakers, headphones) -> Configure.

Windows 7. That's in control panel?

Yeah. Probably in your notification area too, right click the audio icon.

Heh, was initially disappointed to get 99 bombs from the first treasure room, instead of something cool. Then I realized I can bomb everything. Every wall, all the mushrooms, bosses.. :biggrin:

In the corner, I have Speaker Properties, the controller is a Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM. I have tabs for General, Levels and Advanced, none of which mention the number of speakers.

Can't help with that, I've Realtek Audio Manager. You should be able to find the settings in control panel though, or just look through the controller's tabs.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    They nerfed Cain. RIP cain. :<

M A G I K A Z A M
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Just realized I'd been playing with no sfx, only music. Couldn't get sfx working until switching sound settings to stereo :\

Depends on your system, there's no ingame option or such. On Windows 7 Audio Devices, select your device (speakers, headphones) -> Configure.

Heh, was initially disappointed to get 99 bombs from the first treasure room, instead of something cool. Then I realized I can bomb everything. Every wall, all the mushrooms, bosses.. :biggrin:

In the corner, I have Speaker Properties, the controller is a Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM. I have tabs for General, Levels and Advanced, none of which mention the number of speakers.

Can't help with that, I've Realtek Audio Manager. You should be able to find the settings in control panel though, or just look through the controller's tabs.

Oh, I've go Realtek too! Bad things happened that last time I fiddled with that...

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Anyone find a use for those empty dungeon rooms in the caves?

• DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular

Oh, I've go Realtek too! Bad things happened that last time I fiddled with that...

If you right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and go to Playback Devices, it'll open up a new window. In that window, find the Speakers device that's set as your default (most likely anyway), and if you right click on that you can go to Configure Speakers. That'll let you switch speaker modes to Stereo if you wanna see if it works for you.

Dranyth wrote: »

If you right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and go to Playback Devices, it'll open up a new window. In that window, find the Speakers device that's set as your default (most likely anyway), and if you right click on that you can go to Configure Speakers. That'll let you switch speaker modes to Stereo if you wanna see if it works for you.

Thanks @Dranyth!

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Holy jeez some of these Challenges are horseshit. I forget the name of it, Solar System I think? You can't shoot any tears, you have 4 different orbiting flies, and you have flight. And that's IT. I mean hell, most of the no-tears Challenges are awful. There's another where you're Guppy but again, no-tears, and the only way you can do damage is with Guppy's Hairball. Oof. I was trying the one where you have 99 poop bombs and The Bean and once again no-tears. That one at least feels kinda doable. I got all the way to Mom and almost killed her.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I just did a Maggie run... it was going ok, not great. I got Mom's Knife and while it handles more smoothly, I was taking a lot of damage with it. When I got down to the Womb, I found one of the 'dice rooms' and rerolled myself. I don't know what the hell it gave me, I had a bunch of familiars, I think I had 3 dollar bill because my tear effects changed every room, I know I had My Reflection, which was annoying as hell. Anyway, I beat Mom's Heart, but I tanked a lot of damage, so no devil room and no Sheol... which is probably for the best, because I don't think I could've beaten Satan like that.

I had some weird items for sure though, some kind of crackling green circle around my feet that seemed to absorb the first hit or so of damage. I also seemed to have a Tanuki tail, and when I stood still for a second, I'd turn into a statue and was pretty much invulnerable, as far as I could tell. I probably should've used it more on Mom's Heart, it would've taken longer but my familiars and Peeper's Eye probably would've killed her eventually...

Dranyth on
  • xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    Have they changed how secret rooms work? I've been bombing the usual spots with 3 rooms but I feel I'm not hitting them as often as in the first game?

steam_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    xiears wrote: »
    Have they changed how secret rooms work? I've been bombing the usual spots with 3 rooms but I feel I'm not hitting them as often as in the first game?

I've been getting them pretty consistently following the old rules. The big change is in what they contain (I haven't found an item pedestal yet (though they definitely still can be there), contains a much more varied selection of consumables than just pennies)

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    My first Eden run I got like 1 in all stats except damage which was 2. Killing shit took forever, and I don't think I made it past Basement 2.

I don't think I even wanted that run to go very far unless I started getting some tears/speed items, because it was flat-out no fun.

YL9WnCY.png
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I beat mom once then the next run I just tried to unlock a couple dudes. I died because I guess you can't walk between diagonally aligned spikes anymore?

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Schide wrote: »
    I beat mom once then the next run I just tried to unlock a couple dudes. I died because I guess you can't walk between diagonally aligned spikes anymore?

Naw, you just messed it up. I was worried about it (especially since my controls go wacky when my laptop gets hot, which is all the time), but I've been able to do the diagonal spike walk fine.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    The tanooki seems somewhat overpowered. Free invincibility as long as you stand still and don't shoot is pretty good when you have pets to do your work for you. At that point the only thing that can kill you is impatience.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Huh, so I guess shooting 10 Brimstones at once will one shot Mom's heart.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I've been playing this since the Steam release. I still haven't beaten Mom.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Don't feel bad. Remember a lot of us have been playing this on and off since 2011. We all started terribly and savoured that first victory when we finally managed it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    My last run had no enemies in either floor of the basement. Let's talk eerie.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I was playing on Vita last night. I forgot how disturbing the intro to and premise of the game is.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular

I have 5.1 speakers. My rear speakers play my sfx and my front and center channel speakers play the music. Hopefully this helps some of you with sound issues.

steam_sig.png
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    ugggh, 218 hrs on record for the original...im not sure I can sacrifice another 9 whole days of my life to this...but the flesh is weak...I'll cave...sometime...

Looks good though, trying not to read much about the new stuff. The best bit about the original was the "oh cool, new item combos"

• YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    First run earlier today, first item was little planet, didn't last long!

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Managed to beat Mom's Heart, which I never accomplished in the original BoI. Been having a lot of fun, but I know I'm making tons of suboptimal choices since I'm not that familiar with the items and stuff.

I get the ghost hearts, but the black and white hearts confuse me. I wound up spoiling myself on the function of the rooms with one square of spikes in the center, because I knew they had to do something. Also just managed to figure out about how to make bridges through blind luck.

Not asking for further spoilers or anything. I'll keep hacking away and learning!

steam_sig.png
  • ShoehornShoehorn Registered User regular
    I played the hell out of the first so I've been really looking forward to this. Possibly the best entertainment return on investment ever, given how much time I've sunk into it.

My favourite new item so far has been one called The Ludovico Technique. You can't shoot, however you control a large tear with the shoot buttons, and can guide it around the room. If you fight a stationary boss like Mom's Heart you can just move the tear onto them and concentrate on dodging attacks. If you get any kind of additional shot it orbits the large original tear like an option in R-Type, I'd love to see it's effect with things like the Quad Shot.

I just hope that the achievements don't bug out in this one. I got everything in the first game but the last couple haven't registered, even though the requirements are met :(

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Shoehorn wrote: »
    I played the hell out of the first so I've been really looking forward to this. Possibly the best entertainment return on investment ever, given how much time I've sunk into it.

My favourite new item so far has been one called The Ludovico Technique. You can't shoot, however you control a large tear with the shoot buttons, and can guide it around the room. If you fight a stationary boss like Mom's Heart you can just move the tear onto them and concentrate on dodging attacks. If you get any kind of additional shot it orbits the large original tear like an option in R-Type, I'd love to see it's effect with things like the Quad Shot.

I just hope that the achievements don't bug out in this one. I got everything in the first game but the last couple haven't registered, even though the requirements are met :(

I just beat Mom for the first time with that item, I was a little miffed at first because I had had a tear hose before it, and then I realized in the very next room how absolutely astonishingly amazing it is.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I got fucked in the Womb thanks to an item I had picked up earlier.

Can't recall the name now, of course, but it is similar to Tiny Planet in that it reduces the range of your tears to orbit around Isaac, plus it added a Toxic effect. Looked like a brown onion.

Anyway, I couldn't shoot past my own face and got locked in a room with two eyes across gaps that were shooting lasers at me. No escape. :(

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I got fucked in the Womb thanks to an item I had picked up earlier.

This game really does make for the best out-of-context quotes.

• Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Only had time to play a few runs, but so far, I'm 3 for 3.

My last run was interesting. Played as Azazel, who seems pretty goddamn powerful. Then, I got polyphemus, so I was pretty much destroying enemies with the power of a cosmic god. Then I made the mistake of picking up Bob's Brain, which is pretty suicidal when you're playing as a pseudo-melee character. I would have lost, due to blowing myself up repeatedly, but you wanna know what item is OP? Magic-fucking-Fingers. I paid a few cents on any room that was remotely hard, paid about a dime to destroy Mom's Heart, and that was it.

The game balance in general seems pretty wacky now. There's a lot of simple item combinations that are extremely powerful (like the tanuki item + any passive damage, as mentioned earlier). I might be wrong, but it seems like more rooms rely on hazards instead of enemies than before, making flight more powerful than ever.

I'm a little torn on some of the new sounds. I miss Mom's old "Isaaaaaaaaaac"

Does anyone know what the dice rooms do? The only one that was obvious to me was #5, which rerolled the entire floor, like Forget-me-now.

Emperor_Z on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    There's a few different dice roll rooms scattered around, and they all do different things
    The #6 room re-rolls EVERYTHING on you

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Vita version isn't showing available in the UK, store has definitely been updated :/

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

If you are new, it's like a giant wall to get over. It gets easier as you get comfortable completing that level. It took me hours and hours on the first game, then I could do it again pretty easily afterwards.

How do people feel about analog movement? Seems pretty nice for nudging over cover to be able to fire on enemies.

Also, what is the 'drop' button supposed to do? drop the pill/card you are carrying?

steam_sig.png
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    There's a few different dice roll rooms scattered around, and they all do different things
    The #6 room re-rolls EVERYTHING on you
    The #3 room seems to have the D20 effect on the entire floor, from the run I had earlier.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Is there an item pickup where when you take damage, there is a chance for you to be ported out of that room? If so, can someone tell me the name of that item? I don't remember picking up such an item, but in one of my runs today this was happening all the damn time. I had to fight Mom like 6 times during that session because of the stupid teleport.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    Robes wrote: »
    Is there an item pickup where when you take damage, there is a chance for you to be ported out of that room? If so, can someone tell me the name of that item? I don't remember picking up such an item, but in one of my runs today this was happening all the damn time. I had to fight Mom like 6 times during that session because of the stupid teleport.

That sounds like Cursed Skull, which, in the original game, was a trinket which would teleport you out of the room if you took damage while having less than one full red heart. I think there are some new items with similar effects.

Did you pick up any items with "Cursed" in the name?

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Got antigravity on Azazel playthrough. It was.. weird. The charged beam forms a swirly mist that then releases the beam after a second or so. The mist seemed to do way more damage than the actual beam, too. I'd probably rather have played without antigrav, since it didn't work that well with my Brimstone companion (!), but it was cool :P

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I just got sacred heart

It's so beautiful. I might edit this with a picture of it later in the run.

Edit: Aww, run ended at mom. I wrecked her though... and got everything is terrible. Thanks game.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    I assume people have run into The Gate, yes? He is something else....

• BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Robes wrote: »

That sounds like Cursed Skull, which, in the original game, was a trinket which would teleport you out of the room if you took damage while having less than one full red heart. I think there are some new items with similar effects.

Did you pick up any items with "Cursed" in the name?

Could also be Cursed Eye - allows you to charge a number of tears to fire at once, but also has the teleport-on-taking-damage effect.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited November 2014
    Is Azazel's weapon an actual item you can find, a combination of brimstone and low range, or is it completely unique to the character?

Emperor_Z on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I assume people have run into The Gate, yes? He is something else....

I did, but in a run where I had max damage shots, the Anarchists Cookbook, and something that made bombs shoot tears in every direction when they explode.

He didn't really last long enough for me to see what he was up to!

MhCw7nZ.gif